(being heavily edited)Deaths...

By BlackCatSong

You are a neko, half witch who lives with thier mom, Blair. One day you and your weapon, Ethan, decide you sh... More

Chapter 1: Cute but deadly
Chapter 2: Our first fight, Black☆Star v.s You
Chapter 3: Join the DWMA?
Chapter 4: Your first day
Chapter 5: V for vendett
Chapter 6: Recovery
Chapter 7: Pool day
Chapter 8: Afraid of water
Chapter 10: Mira
Chapter 11: Realizing
Chapter 12: Think fast
A/n: Why updates took so long
A/n: a sequel?

Chapter 9: Lesson on resonance

967 21 3
By BlackCatSong

The chatter of your classmates fills your ears as you take your seat in front of Kid. Sighing you sit down and stare out the window at the sky, it bothered you that for once Ethan didn't know something that happend. You needed to tell him as soon as possible or the stress combined with the fact you were trusting three new people with a big secret of yours might push you over the edge.

Suddenly you feel a tap on your shoulder causing you to turn around, and   looking at Soul before Maka leans over the desk to you.

" Hey. I meant to ask last night but who caused... you know. ", she asks.

" U-um well... ", you glance behind her to see the two girls from last night glaring at you and you quickly avert your gaze. " I'll tell you later... "

" Oh um, okay? ", she says, clearly wanting to ask more but before she gets the chance your ears twitch as Stein turns the screw in his head a few times. " Okay everyone! Pay attention. ", Stein yells out and the class room falls silent.

" Today we will be conducting a skill test. Specifically on Resonance, It is important for us to test your partnership and for you so you can work out your differences and become an overall stronger team. "

You turn to Ethan and you both share a look. While yes, you know of Soul Resonance, actually doing it is something neither of you knew how to do or if was possible between you both.

" What happens if you can't resonate? ", a student yells.

" You fail this test. It is a rather simple task for most if not all in this class, and it's important to keep you all on alert. Even if you are in a disagreement with your partner its a great strength to be able to fight together, whenever, no matter what. "

You feel your ears drop when Stein says fail and you come up with two solutions. You fail or come clean to Stein. Either way it would cause embarrassment and you weren't sure after last night if it was a good idea to risk suddenly bursts of emotions.

" Alright let's begin with the front row. ", Stien gestures to the student in the front row seat.

" (Y/n) are you okay? ", Kid asks quietly and your ears perk up as you turn around slightly.

" I- ", your eyes drift to the girls from last night again and you decide to avoid the conversation. " I'll be okay. No worries. ", you smile at him and quickly turn back around before writing a note on a piece of loose notebook paper. After its done you toss it to Maka skillfully before raising your hand.

" Yes? ", Stein asks.

" M-may I go to the restroom? ", you nervously ask.

" Hurry. "

You nod and quickly rush out of the classroom with a slight pink tint to your cheeks, not bothering to look around much as you leave. It was always embarrassing to declare that you had to go to the restroom in front of a room full of people, exceptionally more so when you didn't even have to go. And so with the stress of your lie finally starting to weigh on you, you decide to at least head to the girls restrooms.

Once inside you were greeted by a nice lavender sent and a generic looking female bathroom kept in surprisingly good condition. The walls a nice monotone pattern and the floors a beautiful marble white tile while the rest of the utilities were matching in quality and design.

After a few long moments of worrying by the sinks that Maka wouldn't follow through, the bathroom door opens up and a weight lifts off your shoulders as she walks through.

" Hey? Everything okay? ", Maka immediately asks.

" Yes. Well, no, i'm kinda panicking. So kinda? "

" What's wrong? "

" I can't fail this test. I'm afraid the shame will cause my.. magic to take control. But, me and Ethan have never resonated. I don't know how. ", you admit, feeling a bit weird talking to someone about your powers and feelings besides Ethan.

" Oh is that it? Just tell him you need a day. I'm sure Stein will understand and me and Soul can help you. " You tilt your head at her reaction, unsure of how you should respond. " Wow. Really? "

" Yup, I'll even go with you to ask. I've done it with Crona. But hey, since I have you who caused you so much trouble last night? "

" I... Don't know thier names. The girls who sit a few rows behind you, brown straight hair, green eyes. Then brown eyes, black hair tied to one side. "

" I think i've seen them talking to Kid before, they seemed kinda nice. "

You feel your tail flick once in annoyance as she mentions them talking to Kid and something about the thought makes your heart sink. With such a sudden burst of emotions your magic to sparks out its usual black static.

" (Y/n)? ", she walks closer to you with a concerned look on her face as she stares at you. " Ah, sorry. I don't know what's been going on lately... We should go before Stein questions why we took so long. ", you quickly change the subject and walk out with her.

Walking back into class you and Maka immediately go over to Stien and try to cause as little of a scene as possible.

" May we talk to you a moment sir? It's about the test. ", Maka asks.

" What is it? "

" (Y/n) hasn't had much time in combat and is stressed about this sudden test. This once could she do it tomorrow? "

He begins turning the screw in his head as he looks at you, causing you to feel uneasy and you find yourself naturally move closer to Maka with your ears laying timidly against your head.

" Perhaps. Although it's not really fair to other students. ", Stein thinks outloud.

" Me and Ethan could come in early... ", you mumble.

" Hmm, while I wouldn't mind i'll have to ask Lord Death. This is a test (Y/n). "

" What if we fight her out front instead!? A good battle always relaxes me! ", Black☆Star suddenly blurts out and you tense up at his sudden activity.

" A fight? ", Stein's screw suddenly clicks and he sighs.

" How will that help!? "

" You have until the end of the day, all of you. Come talk to me once you want me to test you. "

" Damn it... "

A bunch of cheers roar throughout the room and Black☆Star jumps over the desks. Tsubaki follows his lead as well as Soul, Ethan and Crona, although they skip the jumping over the desk part.

" That went... surprisingly well. Although not perfect. ", you say.

" You got us out of a test so that's cool. ", Soul smirks.

" We still have to test Soul... We can just turn it in anytime today basically. ", Maka corrects him.

" I think Stein just wanted an excuse to experiment on that poor bird. ", you look over at the mad scientist and shiver seeing the bird on the table.

" Id like to hope not. ", Tsubaki turns to look at the bird with a sad expression.

With a suddenly curiosity you look over everyone and search for Kid only to see him, Liz and Patty all talking to the two girls from yesterday. As you get a sick feeling in your stomach you're startled when Black☆Star places his hand on your shoulder.

" Let's go! I want to fight you and Maka too Soul! ", Black☆Star gives a cocky smile to Soul before running out of the room.

" Are you going to tell him why we really need this? ", you sheepishly smile and look at Maka.

" We? ", Ethan asks.

" I wanted to train with Maka and Soul so we could learn to resonate. "

" Oh, seriously? That would be awesome! ", Ethan smiles wide.

" I would gladly help too. I'm sure Black☆Star would be happy to help as well. ", Tsubaki cheerfully smiles.

" I'm not sure how much help I'll be but I'll try to help too if you want. ", Crona offered.

" Yeah! Let's get out their! ", Ethan cheers as he practically skips outside.

You giggle and follow the group outside.

Once outside Maka pulls you and Ethan aside as Black☆Star riles up Soul.

" Okay so Soul Resonance is preformed when the Meister's Soul Wavelength is sent into their Weapon, which then amplifies it and sends it back to the Meister. "

" Sounds simple enough. ", Ethan says.

" It might be. But you two have never even tried right? "

" No. I wasn't sure about it with.. you know. "

" Well, I guess there is no better way to learn then to try. You seem to get along well so that's a good sign and you share a bond too, which is even more important. "

" How do I even project my wavelength? I don't want to hurt him with my magic. "

" We got this (Y/n), Black☆Star! Let's do this! ", Ethan suddenly grabs your wrist and you yelp.

" E-Ethan! ", you sigh and decide to go with it. This once, fighting with him on this could prove dangerous for everyone.

" Alright! Tsubaki! "

" Right! "

Tsubaki gracefully transforms and Black☆Star gets in a battle ready stance as he catches her, standing a distance across from you.

" Fight a bit, watch him and resonate when you're in your zone got it? ", Ethan suggests.

" Right, Ethan? " He nods and transforms.

" Don't loose if you want to fight me. ", Soul shouts to Black☆Star getting his attention.

" What do you mean "don't loose"? Ha! You think a big star like me would lose to her? ", Black☆Star laughs.  " I already beat her once this should be easy! "

Not wanting to waste time listening to his taunts you dash at Black☆Star and jab him right in the stomach. " Who me? ", you whisper. Black☆Star swiftly regains his stance clearly irritated by your words and that uou even got a hit on him.

" This test is about Soul Resonance right!? Might as well end this fast with a big bang! "

" Tsubaki! Enchanted sword mode! " On command Tsubaki transforms into a beautiful, sharp black sword just as she did in your first battle.

" Now let's go Tsubaki! " In unison Tsubaki and Black☆Star shout, " Soul Resonance! " Black sparks suddenly shoot from Tsubaki and black lines begin to travel rapidly all over Black☆Star's body, spreading quickly.

" It's now or never. ", Ethan yells. Nodding you shut your eyes and take a deep breath, you weren't ready but for Ethan's sake you had to at least try.

" Ethan! ", you yell and suddenly feel a natural power begin to well up. In unision you and Ethan then shout, " Let's go Soul Resonance! ", you feel yours and Ethan's soul immediately begin to spark as they resonate. Not long after Ethan shines bright white as your dagger grows, getting longer, and wider before suddenly turning a dark red and finishing off the transformation with a flare of black flames that quickly vanish as he turns into a intimidating great sword.

" W-we did it! ", Ethan cheers.

" You look awsome! ", you smile before gasping and rolling away from Black☆Star's attack.

" No time to waste. Can you still fight with me? "

As if to answer Ethans question for you Black☆Star suddenly begins to unleash a flurry of attacks which you swiftly block using Ethan.

" Surprisingly. I need to land an attack though. ", you point out, focusing on blocking Black☆Star's attacks. " Gah! Right! Just hurry! ", Ethan shouts in pain and suddenly you drop your guard, you hadn't even thought of the pain he was in while blocking Black☆Star and Tsubaki.

" No, (Y/n)! ", Ethan yells and you gasp, dropping Ethan as you barely avoid Black☆Star's next attack. Black☆Star then go's right for your throat causing you to whimper as you pull your tail close to you and shut your eyes preparing for him to strike.

He doesn't and as you open your eyes he stopped just before your throat.

" Well at least we found out we can Resonate. ", Ethan sighs as he transforms back.

" Not long enough to satisfy Stein. ", Kid speaks up and your heart skips a beat.

" When did he get here? "

Tsubaki transforms back and Black☆Star extends his hand, averting your gaze from Kid as he pulls you up.

" I- I'm sorry Ethan... ", You look down to the ground, feeling shame and embarrassment take over. This was the exact feeling you needed to avoid.

" Try again! ", Patty cheers.

" What? ", you look at her.

" A big star like me can Resonate easy with my partner, but for you fighting until you can learn how to not have your confidence and therefore resonance shattered so easy would be a good idea. ", Black☆Star advises, actually speaking almost normally for once.

" Wow. That's actually good advice Black☆Star. ", Maka points out.

" I know, its really rather big of me to give such good advice to my rival isn't it?! ", He smiles and laughs, standing proudly. " Mhm. ", Tsubaki nervously smiles and nods at him.

" Now let's fight Maka! Tsubaki! ", he challenges standing prepared to catch Tsubaki.

" A-actually how about we go take our test now okay? Just to get it over with? "

" Hmm. Fine! Just because I want to show everyone how big of a star I am! What better way to do that then by showing off our technique and telling everyone of our win! ", he laughs maniacally as him and Tsubaki walk back inside the building.

" Well that happened. ", Liz breaks the silence.

" Alright so who should we fight next? ", Ethan asks as he walks up beside you and smiles, looking between Kid and Maka.

" I- I'd rather go last if that's okay... ", Crona looks to him and then you.

" I'm not entirely cool with hitting girls but i'm up for a fight. ", Souls arm suddenly flashes as it turns into a red and black, sharp scythe head.

" A-ah well it's either I get shot or try to dodge a scythe. ", you nervously point out to Ethan.

" You think you can handle Maka? ", Ethan says.

" I-I'll try my best. ", you assure him.

" Good luck... She's a good fighter too. ", Crona says in thier usual monotone.

" Sounds good. Soul? ", Maka turns to him and he suddenly transforms completely, his body becoming a long, thin, dark silver rod with black details near the head of the scythe and a red eye shape connecting the blade to the handle. Maka swiftly catches him and swings him over her shoulder flawlessly.

" Wow, you look badass! ", Ethan says as he stares at Maka in awe. He was definitely not wrong, and seeing how confident she was in her abilities, well it wasn't encouraging to say the least.

" Thanks. ", Soul and Maka reply before Maka walks a ways across from you and gets in a battle ready stance.

" We can do this. Try not to worry about me as much okay? ", Ethan chuckles and you nod. Taking that a a cue he transforms in a flash of white and you catch his much smaller dagger form. " I need to see if I can drag out the fight. Unless I get into my zone there is no way I'll be able to keep our resonance... "

" Let's try to speed things up. Against me Ethan's great sword form will probably do better. ", Maka shouts.

" You're telling me what would be good against you? ", You yell back although a bit quieter then her.

" Unlike Black☆Star I don't care as much about losing. I want to help, but with that said I won't go easy on you either! ", She smiles, practically irradiating confidence. " How can she do that? Maybe I just pose no threat... "

" Alright ready!? "

You nod as she shouts and her sudden speed surprises you. Flipping backwards you manage to dodge her, quickly wanting to lunge forward but you realize she's too far for that to be effective. But, unlike Black☆Star she couldn't hit you if you got close enough. Deciding your next action you immediately run at her, expecting her to swing from the side you jump up only to land in the same position but in a different spot.

" It won't be that easy (Y/n). ", Ethan says.

You nod and Maka dashes for you, swinging Soul around with great ease as she aims for your torso. You duck and roll under her swing going to attack her, as you do though she vaults over you, using Soul before smoothly landing and going straight into another attack. You yelp and grit your teeth as she cuts you just barely with Soul.

" You have to use me to block her and get closer (Y/n)! "

" R-right. "

" But, you'll get hurt... "

Not letting up Maka immediately gos to swing again and you use Ethan's dagger form to stop Soul this time, running to Maka as the two Weapons screech while colliding and create sparks. Ethan gasps and you miss, once again focusing on his pain. Maka leaps back and swings for you again but you dodge it quickly. Her fighting style was definitely different the Black☆Star's.

The fight continues like this for a while. Each time you think you're getting in the zone and confident in your move, Maka counters with ease. Unable to understand why you can't land a hit every time you're about to get into that "Zone" you become frustrated fast.

" Alright let's do this (Y/n)! I know you watched my movements with Soul, since the weapons are different the style of fighting is slightly different then what your used to. But I believe in your ability to wield Ethan! You can learn how to use your resonance form! ", Maka shouts and you can't believe her words. She was being so positive and encouraging, it was refreshing while being slightly irritating at the same time.

" Please try not to use full power. I don't want you destroying the building like Black☆Star did... ", Kid tells Maka, glancing up at a red spike coming from the academy's exterior and smiling to himself.

" Right! ", she replys.

She was just trying to show you how to fight using a longer ranged weapon? Why weren't you paying attention to that? And if that was her basic fighting skills then how good was she really, not to mention her full power could reach that high!?

" (Y/n), Soul Resonance! ", Ethan suddenly snaps you out if your thoughts and you stare down Maka.

" Let's go Soul Resonance! ", all four of you shout in unison.

Unlike Black☆Star or Kid as Soul and Maka resonated there was no physical changes that happened to Maka, only a light blue aura that now engulfed both of them. However the blade of Soul changed colour to a beautiful glittering white as it extended and grew, the opposite side of where his original blade also extended into a shorter blade that connected both sides, and in the center above the handle was the same eye shape from before.

" She's not using Witch Hunter is she? ", Crona asks noone in particular.

" I don't see why not. Even so I'm sure like Black☆Star she won't land the hit so it doesn't matter. ", Kid calmly replys.

Your ears lay against your head when you hear Crona and Kid's conversation.

" W-Witch... Hunter...? ", you whimper and tighten your grip on Ethan.

" What? Focus (Y/n)! ", Ethan yells.

" Legendary Scythe-Meister ability; Witch Hunter! ", Maka yells and you suddenly panic.

" Witch Hunter!? ", Ethan yells.

Immediately assuming Maka means to land the attack you feel tears begin to well up and you grit your teeth as you let that feeling of betrayal sink in.

" I can't believe you Maka! ", you yell, becoming overwhelmed with rage.

" (Y/n)! Wait I don't think she means to- "

" Shut up Ethan! "

You slip into your "Zone" as Maka swings for you. You skillfully dodge it and lock onto Maka, drowning out Cronas and Ethans shouts for you. This feeling was oddly familiar and in a way natural to you, suddenly you saw red. No longer caring who this person was to you that stood a distance in front of you. At that time you see Maka's eyes widen as she trys to pull Soul out of the ground in time. Just before you hit her suddenly Ethan slips from your hands and you look back to see him transform into a human.

" What the hell!? ", you growl.

" Screech resonance! ", you hear Crona call out before a suddenly loud and deafening scream hits your ears. Immediately you gasp and drop to the floor covering your ears as you try your hardest to block out the sound.

" What the hell is that!? Crona can this!? But... h-how?! "

Slowly the red goes away and you feel tears stream down your face. The yelling goes away and your eyes remain shut tightly. Not knowing what to expect when you open them.

you hear voices and lower hour hands to cup your face as you curl your tail close to you and sob.

" What the hell was that Maka!? ", Ethan barks.

" I wasn't going to hurt her! I swear! "

" Normally that move would have carved a creater in the ground. That barely made a dent. ", Soul adds, defending Maka.

" More importantly what happened with (Y/n)? ", Liz asks.

" She looked so scary... ", Patty adds.

" You were going go use a move that kills witches normally on a unstable half witch who doesn't trust many people! Think about it! ", Ethan screams.

" I- I should have told her. But I thought she trusted me enough to know I ment no harm... "

" No harm was done. It happened... again. Ethan I can't... ", Your hands fall to the ground and you begin to quiver. " Maka you were wrong. I can't control my magic or my witch soul. I'm doomed to become just like any other witch! ", you cry.

" Enough of that! ", she yells and you turn to look at her.

" I told you, I believe in you! You need to stop being so nervous and afraid of everything! "

" Where will y- "

" No! Let me finish! If you want to control your magic you need to start by being more positive and confident in your abilities. You can't fight something that powerful alone either, and if you can't even learn to control your normal emotions you're right! You're a lost cause. ", Maka hisses and her last words hit you hard as she walks away and Soul walks after her.

" (Y/n), I'm sure she was just- ", Ethan begins and you shake you head putting up your hand.

" Don't... Go inside. ", you mumble.

" I'm not leaving you here alone. ", he insists.

" Go. Inside. I need to think. ", you look up to him and try to give him a reassuring half smile as you wipe away your tears. " Please. "

He sighs and nods before heading inside. " You all too. It's... not safe for anyone to be near me like this. ", you say as you look down to the ground again.

" Liz, Patty, Crona head inside too and don't let anyone know about what happened. ", Kid orders.

" What? Kid she just said- ", Liz gets cut off.

" I know. I need to speak with her a moment alone. Now please leave. " You hear dejected sighs before three pairs of footsteps walk away and the doors of the academy open and close.

" Is that it? ", Kid coldly asks.

" Is he... Mad? "

" What do you mean? "

" Are there anymore secrets? "

" Oh. No. "

" It would be wise to be honest now. I won't go through this again. "

You hear him approach you and your ears droop.

" I planned to tell you. And everyone after I got full control. I thought... ", you sigh and turn away from where you figured he was standing.

" You can't fight yourself and this whole other side of you. Definitely not alone either. While Ethan can help he can't do everything and your mother, er Blair, isn't's exactly good with these things. No offense. You can rely on us a bit more. "

You stay silent and hear Kid shuffle before seeing him move in front of you.

" Did you really want to hurt Maka? "

" Yes. After those girls have been pushing me around and threatening me, throwing me into a pool. On top of all these new experiences and feelings, I couldn't do it anymore. I wanted to destroy... something. "

" Throwing you into the pool? When and why did this happen? "

" Well pushed me. They hated that I was talking to you, so they threatened me the day I first wore my school uniform. Told me to stay away I assume out of jealousy. Then when I panicked and pulled you along at the pool instead of being swarmed by men like they planned by replacing my bathingsuit they waited till I was locking up and ambushed me, shoving me in the same day. I probably would have hurt them if it weren't for the fact I can't swim. ", You explained.

" Black hair annoying pulled up to one side and brown straight hair? "

" Yeah? You know them...? ", you get a sinking feeling in your chest as you ask the last question.

" Not before today. They asked about you earlier and insisted I stay away from you. I of course said no, but I thought it was rather random. I shall inform my father of this incident. I'm sure there are cameras around the pool to vari- "

" No! ", you jump up and grab his arm, finally looking at him. " I- If your father finds out i'm part witch won't I be hunted? "

" If I explain the situation I'm sure he'll understand. They could have killed you if they had pushed you in the deep end (Y/n). "

" Even so the girls will surely get even if you do! I don't... "

" Don't? "

" Don't... want to have to stop talking to you. And if it's okay with you id like to be sure of my past and what I am at least anyway, before he knows... "

" Then don't. Even if they retaliate, show them you can be stronger. Plus if they think making you more attractive is the way to get me to leave you alone they are really thinking backwards. But, sure I'll keep your secret until further notice. That sounds fair enough. "

" Thank you. Wait, m-more attractive? ", you stutter and suddenly realize how close you and Kid are, becoming embarrassed. Not to mention you were alone and your hand was still firmly attached to his arm.

" A-ah, yeah. ", Kid stutters himself and you quickly let go of his arm. Turning away you smile after noticing his cheeks were tinted a slight pink.

" You should um, go see Blair. I'll cover for you today. ", He rapidly changes the subject, clearing his throat.

" Right! Thank you again Kid. For everything... I appreciated that talk. And, I'm sorry for hiding something again. I promise I won't do it again. ", you instinctively hug him before quickly pulling away.

" A-ah! Sorry! I just... got caught up in the moment. Say thank you and i'm sorry to Maka for me okay? I want to still be her and everyone else's friend... "

Before he can say anything with your spirits lifted and face flushed red you dash for your home, praying your mother is home on her day off for once.

~~~~???~~~~

" Intriguing... She made friends and is at the academy. I wonder how long she'll stay "in control". ", a mature and stern mysterious female voice whispers.

" She's so beautiful. Why can't we start our plan now? ", a deep male voice asks.

" I need to test her power and not to mention you should make sure she's the one before I help you with this spell boy. It is risky enough as is I don't want you changing your mind. "

" I won't madam Sage. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 176 19
After the fall of Asura (Anime version), everyone is dealing with many situations in different ways: Old memories from his past haunt Death Scythe...
4.6K 122 33
As Soul and Maka are closer to turning Soul into a death Scythe they develop a new technique and are able to read each others mind, they begin to dev...
222K 9.1K 24
Maka, a new student at Cypress High, meets oh-so-popular Soul Evans and his gang on the first day. Soul stands up for Maka when BlackStar messes with...
232K 5.5K 25
Your name is, (Y/n) Thompson. You are the cousin of the two sisters Liz and Patty Thompson. Not too long ago you discovered you could turn into a wea...