Rising Power (#1 of the Canto...

Galing kay FanyPi

*** Completed but in heavy editing process*** Humanity has been existing for 250 years in the stranded Canton... Higit pa

Canton's Map!
Edward's Story (Prologue I)
The Last Memory of the First Leader (Prologue II)
Dreams Connected - Valentine
Dreams Connected-John
The Party
Gathering
The First Night
New Friends
Old Enemies
Instructors
A Test of Fears (I)
A Test Of Fears (II)
The Ties That Bind
The Bully and the Hero
The Broken Man
The Forbidden Scheme
The Chase
Awakening
Punishment
The Past
The Present
The Choice
The Unexpected Revelation
The Final Exam
Falling into the Trap
Overkill
Fates Collide
Deliverance
A Most Fateful Meeting
Divided
A Slip of Mind/Redemption
Restless
Face Off
The Plan
Trapped
Revenge
Epilogue

A Hero's Night Out

39 7 0
Galing kay FanyPi

"Ok... Who's driving?"

John puffed his chest proudly in a comical, out-of-character gesture. Val knew that part of this ridiculous display was the successful mind control of the poor infirmary doctor, but this was not the only reason. He tried to keep their spirits lifted since plan A had been a failure from the get go.

She looked all around her, from the mystical silence of the ancient, gigantic trees to the unconscious body of the doctor lying hidden in the thick busses overhead. It was a clear starry night, and everyone was on their bed, sleeping. Except them.

Amy was supposed to teleport their company of five to the city centre, one at a time. It was a long shot, and she probably had to stop a few times to concentrate on the road ahead, but she had been certain she'd make it. Except she didn't. Val was the first brave soul to volunteer for the long journey home and fell headfirst into the invisible surrounding wall outside the Academy's forest. Some kind of teleporting barrier, if that was even possible. Turned out, the Instructors had some hidden cards up their sleeves.

"I am driving, John. It's least I can do since my stupid Power decided to bail on me."

Val felt the blonde straining next to her. "It's not your fault, Amy. We had an idea, and it failed. If you come with us, then it's only because you want to. You can turn back and go to sleep."

She had sounded harsher than intended but Amy had truly no reason of coming with them other than her skills. She never talked about family or friends, and had been incredibly hurt when, through their weekly allowed video-call, she discovered that her agent had been a Council employee. She had given her all to the training then, not mentioning the world outside.

But still, she shook her head. "You are a fool if you are thinking you're having all the fun and I am going to sleep."

Mike just rolled his eyes. "We have limited time, even less to lose in the princess' complaints. We are all going together, or not at all."

Amy winked, pleased. With all her sweet charm she turned around, and walked lightly to the convertible, sitting in the driver's seat. The doctor remained asleep under a thick blanket. John had instructed him to sleep the whole night through, and it had already taken up most of his strength. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to use his abilities for the rest of the excursion.

"You think I should be feeling guilty, Valentine?" he asked, as Mike and Seb entered the car.

Val's face remained emotionless. John's Power was not the most moral there was, but... Being a rather immoral being herself, and in dire need of his help, she chose to just smile. Heroes could not always be pure, it seems.

She took his hand in hers. "You did what you had to. We can't back down now. Let's go."

***

The ride to the city was a mesmerizing one. With Seb's guidance through a crudely-made map, Amy drove the company through rough little patches of dirt-road, with the trees' roots claiming part of the path's sides, their branches and leaves brushing the hood and the windows lightly. Sounds and shadows were creeping along the forest's edges, and slowly, the group's uncomfortable silence turn to mischievous giggles and creepy stories. Mike was the cause of most laughs, but the undebatable king of horror was Seb. The way his face and voice distorted in the impersonation of every character, made Val's hair stand out.

Amy's lips were tightened when Seb finished an especially creepy fairy tale about a beautiful young girl leaving in an impregnable tower with shadow guards, her ultimate escape being her death by falling from her own balcony to the abyss below.

"You have a weird imagination, Sebastian."

"I always had to. A kid being alone with nothing else but a huge library needs to find ways to entertain itself."

"Well, you did have Mike. You know each other since childhood, right?"

Mike coughed uncomfortably. "Well, not exactly..."

"My parents had me confined in their mansion until I was ten. I was my mother's single surviving pregnancy and their love was enormous. Struggling, even. They insisted I should stay home until I was old enough to defend myself, probably until my late fifties or something." He chuckled bitterly.

"What happened?", Val asked with earnest interest. Seb was easy going and light-hearted, but always had this melancholy in his eyes which was hard to overlook.

"Some relatives realised my parents' increasing madness. They threatened to call social services, shall I not attend a public school like all kids in Canton. They had no choice but to accept. And that's how I ended up being a semi-normal, promising Hero."

"I've never seen you calling anyone. Do you still talk to them?"

"No, Val. It's been three years since I last spoke to them."

Amy gasped and Val shifted in her seat.

"Yeah... after me doing everything to help and defend Mike, they gave me the last notice. Either I stop being friends with the scum, their words not mine, or I wouldn't be their son anymore. I chose the latter and moved in with the big guy. I haven't seen them ever since."

Val tried to find some words of comfort inside her struggling mind. Amy found them first.

"Parents who can't or won't accept their kids don't deserve them. You did the right thing. Never regret it, Sebastian."

His eyes were full of adoration. "No regrets."

"Guys, we've reached the city." John's remark brought everyone to reality. The gravel trail of endless trees, rocks, bushes and farm houses had come to an end. The sparkling lights and waving colours of the Tower reflected on Val's blue eyes. She couldn't remember a time when she was happier to see it and the blinding sparks of the surrounding buildings and the Heiman River.

"Woo-hoo. We are the best team in the history of the best teams. Fuck yeah." Mike's war howl was all they needed and the cheer was deafening, as the five forgot their stealth mode for a few seconds.

"Where to next?" asked Amy, bringing the car to a halt.

"Mike, maybe you'd like to see Denver and Missy?", suggested John. Mike pondered on the thought and then shook his head determined.

"It's too late and they are definitely asleep. Besides, if they see my Power and start talking about it in school, I'm getting reprimanded by our Instructors in no time. Let's just take the book and get this over with."

***

Their sassy driver guided them all the way through the dimly lit streets of the University District. Holmes and oaks stood proudly on both sides of the pavement, their autumn leaves littering the streets with shades of orange and red. The staff's and students' apartments were just across the street. Val couldn't help but have fond memories of this place, despite her initial fear of social rejection. It was under those same trees where she had met Mandy and Nelson, where Doug had given her her first kiss. The car parked outside an enormous complex of modern, beige-painted condos after John's signal.

"It will only take a while. Stay here, ok?"

"What? We can't come along?"

Val's eyes followed John's figure as he tightened his jacket around his neck, his look a guilty one.

"Because of the Uni Patrol. They are incredibly strict, even with their own students and the curfew hours. It's two o'clock on a mid-day. Imagine what will happen if they see us all outside It's best if you stay hidden in the trees' shadows."

Val knew his words were of reason. Still, she couldn't hide her disappointment and sadness for not being able to meet Leonard in person. Maybe if he saw her, maybe if he knew her story, her past, the severity of the situation...

"I think it's best if I go alone, Valentine. Uncle is Leo can be little weird, sometimes. I'll back in ten."

He left without another word, leaving Val sulking on the back seat. Silence overwhelmed the four people, Mike humming a tune and Seb taking photos of the surroundings with his PA.

"Guys, there is someplace I need to go."

Amy's voice broke the silence. Val, Seb and Mike turned and looked at her serious, strained face.

"This is not the right time for jokes, missy. John said we have to wait..."

"Amy, do you need to see a friend? We can all go, once John is done with his business." Seb's calm voice was soothing, but Amy gave him only a sad look.

"I need to be alone. I'm sorry."

Her mist was scattered in the air before Mike could stop her. His arm remained extended in the place where Amy had been seconds ago.

"Fuck this shit. What is this girl thinking? Does she want us to get caught?"

His question remained unanswered and they all sat numb, as the ten minutes had already gone by and John was nowhere to be seen. The Uni complex was one of the best-guarded ones in Canton, with police cars and private securities often making rounds around campus. There was no chance they would get out of this mess unscathed if John and Amy didn't put their acts together.

"I am calling him right now...", started Seb.

"Don't bother. I am going to drag him back, whether he likes it or not."

Val got out of the car before the boys' protests could stop her. Amy was doing whatever the hell she wanted, John had gone to his uncle alone despite their original deal. Where had the teamwork disappeared?

She followed John's footsteps and found herself inside a modern apartment complex. She saw them right there, as they stood at the edge of the stairs. John and the same brunette girl from the JD the night of their abduction. Aileen. They were talking in frantic whispers, and the girl held his hands tight, tears in her eyes. John's fingers lightly caressed her cheeks, chasing the sorrow away. Val averted her gaze, as Aileen stood on her toes, reaching for a kiss. She backtracked slowly, her heart ready to burst from a river of inexplicable feelings.

He knew she was going to be here all along.

She hastened her pace as she exited the building, trying to shake the feelings of betrayal and jealousy when she saw her. Amy, kneeling on the ground in the middle of the campus' park with her arms hugging her body, shaking uncontrollably.

And the flashing blue and red lights turning just around the corner.

A.N: Disturbed- The sound of silence

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

1.5K 308 120
Living nearly four hundred years apart, two brave young women born of the same soul face the harshest trials neither would have ever expected. Wheth...
12.7K 1K 48
In a world that was almost kicked back to the stone ages, a power long forgotten returns once again. Countless unseen realms bridge themselves with o...
996 92 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...
39.1K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...