Signed Away (SOON TO BE PUBLI...

By maryash12

A signature, a signature was all it took for Diane's life to come tumbling down and smashed into a million pi... More

Chap. 1
Chap. 2
Chap. 3
Chap. 4
Chap. 5
Chap. 6
Chap. 7
Chap. 8
Chap. 9
New Story
Chapter. 10
Chap. 11
BONUS CHAPTER
Author's Note
Chap. 12
Chap. 13
Chap. 14
Chap. 15
Chap. 16
Chap. 17
Chap. 18
Chap. 19
Chap. 20
Chap. 21
Chap. 23
Chap. 24
NEW STORY!!
FINAL CHAPTER

Chap. 22

38.6K 2.1K 612
By maryash12

A/N You guys must really love me. 

THIRD POV

"I am sorry, but would you please repeat that question?" Heath demanded, raising his eyebrow in incredulity. Was this the woman that they called the very best of the best? What a letdown.

"Is Mr. Collins Dwight your only son? Or are there other children who could carry on the Dwight family bloodline?"

"There is none. My wife and I had only one child" he answered diligently.

"So there were no indiscretions on your part? Not even at let's say a bachelor party?" she asked with a smile.

"Just what are you getting at?" he asked in a hard tone but with a smile on his face.

"I concur with my client your Honor. The defense is badgering the witness" Arnold argued, standing up.

"I have to agree" the Judge said to Nina. "What are you getting at counselor?"

"Your Honor, my clients are wondering how Mr. Collins Dwight would raise his children if he should get custody of them. His parents would provide valuable insight to Mr. Dwight's character"

"I will allow it. Proceed"

"Your Honor, I should point out that the defense seems to have a knack for ... discovering evidence. This will have nothing to do with the fact that Mr. Sinclair's agency is on the board for the Trifle Reconstruction project, now would it?" Arnold asked twirling his pen and send accusing looks at the judge.

"Oh come on. That is preposterous Arnold!" Jude yelled, standing from his seat.

"Mr. Ichikwa don't talk" Judge Bailor de Mr. Kathadoris is it?" the judge questioned with an eyebrow raised.

Kathadoris gave him a boyish grin.

"You will find that Mr. Sinclair and I, are on opposite end of the spectrum on how best to go about the decision. His side and mine have never seen eye to eye. So if the plaintiffs thinks that this will in some way prejudice me against your client, then you are sorely mistaken" in a firm and no-nonsense voice.

"Nice try, Arnold" Nina said under her breath, giving him a mocking smile.

"So, can we procced?" Judge Bailor demanded, trying his best to restrain his impatience.

"Of course. So as I was saying, Mr. Dwight any indiscretions on your part?" Nina repeated the question cocking an eyebrow.

"No" stretching the o.

"Are you quite certain?"

"Yes I am. What is the meaning of this?" Heath demanded.

"I will ask that question one more time. No family, distant or nuclear or extended, nothing?"

"No. I am the only surviving member of my family and if you must know my parents left the companies to me. And I, in turn, would leave them with my son and grandsons"

"I see. Leave everything to family. Illegitimate and legitimate" nodding her head slowly. She was now beginning her chase for her prey.

"My grandsons are not illegitimate. They are as legitimate as I am. They have the Dwight blood running through them" Heath quipped back.

"Really, then why did you allow your son to sign away his rights to my client's children?"

He pondered on the question "It was stupid of me. And stupid of my wife"

"So your wife knew?" she interrupted.

"Yes. But he was grown man who was making his own decision. My son made a mistake. I regret we did not step in. He regrets it. We regret and we are looking for forgiveness for failing those two boys. We are truly remorseful. I just wish that Miss Reyes could see that"

Diane and George just rolled their eyes.

"Mr. Dwight, are you aware that twins do in fact run in your family?"

He cocked his head to the side in confusion "No I don't believe so. The last twins I heard was 65 years ago"

"I see. No more questions for now. Your Honor, we request a recess" Nina demanded in a fast-paced voice as she walked to her table with style.

"The plaintiff oppose?"

"No Your Honor" Arnold rose halfway.

"Good we will reconvene in half an hour" banging his gavel.

"What the devil was that women going on and on about children. I say, my dear, you are looking quite pale" Heath said to his wife who was looking ashen. Taking her hand in his, he rubbed it gently.

"Just the heat dear" she answered giving him a reassuring smile. "I think I will have a chat with that insufferable idiotic woman"

"That's my girl" he laughed. "Want me to come with?"

"No. This is woman to woman" she answered. Standing up and walking with a purpose to Nina.

"Go get them tiger" he growled, laughing. Things seemed to be turning for the better for his son. Speaking of son he went over to their table to talk and offer some words of encouragement.

"Ms. Jimmson. Can I have a word?" Lillian politely demanded.

"Of course"

"Shall we step outside?"

"Of course"

"Excuse us" and the two ladies walked out the door.

"What is that all about?" George demanded,  watching the two passing ladies.

"Yeah. What does that witch want with Nina?" Diane demanded.

"I was wondering when you would come to me. I am glad to see that you at least have the audacity to look me in the face." Nina began. Folding her arms "So when do the threats levied and the promises of destruction and chaos begin."

Lillian gave her a watery smile and then she grabbed Nina's arm, digging her fingernails deep into Nina's arm.

Lillian just chuckled.

"Listen to me you little bitch, you do not want to mess with the likes of me" she growled. "You are way above your head. Leave things alone. And no one needs to get hurt."

"Or what?" Nina demanded. Not even flinching from the pain from her arm. This was nothing new to her.

A person was passing by and they stopped till the hallways were clear once again.

"I will destroy you and everything that you love. I will come after you"

"Hmmm. You got to do better than that. The old saying, the bark is worse than the bite. Speaks volume of you. Money isn't everything dear" ripping her arm away from her.

"Oh, money can do a lot. If you know what I think you know, you should be frightened of me. There are several things that could befall you" she promised.

"Let me give you one great piece of advice, Mrs. Dwight. Men can be lazy, women can't. So... rest assured that you have a formidable enemy in me. For my entire my career I have had to put certain things in place to make sure that women like you don't get in my way. So any plays, tricks you think you might perform, give it your best shot. I am ready"

"You have not dealt with the likes of me. I will make sure to obliterate every person of your family. I say one more time, stay out of this. Or certain calls will be the end of Nina A. Jimmson" she growled again.

"Why do women always complicate things?" breathing deeply. "Anyways, I shall be off. Good luck. And if I were you, with the fifteen minutes left, would explain to my husband and son what you have done. Better for you"

"You wouldn't dare. You have no proof. Absolutely none" she sneered.

"Then why are you here barking like a little bitch?" Nina demanded.

"Why are you doing this?" trying a new tactic. "You have a man you love. And I have mine. We do things for love. You should know this"

"Except my man is a much bigger man. In every way possible"

"If you come for my family. That little boy of yours, Neal right? It will be such a shame if it came to light that Neal was part of the Caver Ponzi Scheme of 2008. You know the one that left 2.5 million people out of their money and savings. With a little convincing I can make sure he is implicated as the forerunner of the entire scheme." She smiled an evil smile. A smile of victory.

"Sad isn't it? Everyone will be after him" she giggled "I hear even the mob was involved in that business scheme. He will be killed. Not even you will be able to save him."

Nina did her best to keep her face neutral. But what she wanted to do was slap the woman to the inch of her life.

"So what would it be Nina? Love of your man or Diane who you have no obligation to"

Saying nothing she turned her back and waked back to the court room. But she added something before she disappeared inside.

"Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

...................................................................................................................................................

"Everything in motion?" Jude asked.

"You bet/ If it is an heir the Dwights want then it is an heir they will get "

"Let the games begin"

"So let us get on with it" the judge boomed when the court reconvened.

"Your Honor, we would like to begin" Nina

"Go ahead" But the good judge was wondering why the defense was not honing in on the Dwights. This would be a perfect opportunity to hone in and go for the kill. Why were they intentionally misdirecting and avoiding any questions to do with the paternities of the Timmons. 

"Your Honor, as you may be aware, our defense rests on the case that the contract is airtight and legal. Whilst the plaintiffs' argument surrounds American economy and the blood heirs" Nina paused in her speech.

"Your Honor, we have heard testimonies and witnesses from the opposition claim that children are impressionable. That they must be raised in a homely and virtuous environment. We concede to that. It is why my clients and I personally fear about the family dynamics and environment of the children if they possibly fell into the hands of the Dwights" she continued.

"Slander Your Honor"

"Withdrawn" raising up her hands in surrender.

"Your Honor, we must think of the greater good" Kathadoris chairperson spoke up.

"Funny you should mention that. Your Honor at this time we would like to call on a witness" making her way round to her seat.

"Your Honor we were not informed" Irving the chairperson refuted.

"Sorry, some last minute mishaps. Flights" giving the judge and him an innocent smile.

"Will allow seeing as we have some time."

Nina's eyes widened slightly. No Nina Jimmson wouldn't be that stupid. She goes down and her fiancé goes down.

"Mr. Chad, please come up" Nina called.

It was then that other side noticed a man walk up to the witness stand and take a seat. They had no idea who he was. The Dwights just assumed he was a friend, there for emotional support, if they paid attention at all that is.

And Diane and George and Athena were told by Jude and Nina that he was central to the case. But they were still confounded.

"Before we begin Your Honor, I would like to tell a story"

"Another one?" looking at her with deadpan eyes.

"Yes"

"Before questioning your witness?"

"I will admit that is a bit unorthodox but it will prove fruitful"

"Proceed"

"Thank you. Long ago, 33 years to be precise. In the times of sorrow, some people found happiness. And they celebrated with a good party. And like with all good parties, drinks were flowing in abundance, women were dancing and there was no inhibition. It was wonderful really"

Lillian Dwight started to feel her heart thundering. This couldn't be happening.

"The party was in honor of a man who was about to utter the vows of holy matrimony. He went a little too wild. And made some blunders indiscretions. That man was by the name Mr. Heath Dwight"

"I'll save you the trouble Mr. Kathadors. What is the point Ms. Jimmsion? And if there is one, would you please get to it. Before I have this thrown out"

"Almost there. I beg for two more minutes. This indiscretion brought forth a child."

"Is this slander or what?" Arnold jumped to his feet.

"No, it is the truth. We are proving that there is another heir and the Dwights can look elsewhere. A child that is part Mr. Heath and has the Dwight blood flowing through him. A child that has a greater claim than the Reyes twins."

"What?!" Heath screamed his eyes blazing with anger.

"How dare you!"

"Your Honor you cannot allow this. This is gossip and hearsay!"

"You are despicable!"

"Let her finish" Jude argued.

"She is lying!"

"Stop her!"

"Order!" the judge called banging on his gravel. Trying to get some peace and rule.

"But she is lying!"

"It is the truth!"

"Surprise surprise the Dwights have more secrets" Athena mocked rolling her eyes.

Diane laughed at this. "Didn't expect anything less"

"You lying little bitch!"

"Sit down Mr. Dwight before I hold you in contempt!" pointing the gavel at him.

"If this is hearsay; then maybe you would like to see some evidence".

"Yeah right" Arnold scoffed.

"Scoff if you will but if it is true there is no need for the Reyes twins to be the only possible heirs and your whole case goes caput" Jude mocked.

"Why you little!"

"I said order in my court!" banging his gavel again.

"How dare you slander me. I will sue you for everything you've got!"

"Control yourself, Mr. Dwight! Or you will be escorted out"

When the room calmed down again and everyone was back in their seats. The judge turned to Nina, pointing the gavel at her

"Counselor if this is a ploy of yours I can assure you that you are making it worse for your client" in a warning tone.

"It is the truth. It has been confirmed. Mr. Heath Dwight does, in fact, have another son"

"So he lied on the stand?" the judge demanded.

"Not entirely. He lied without knowing"

"Fine. Prove it. Where is this child? Because if you can produce this child this case might as well be over" he demanded.

"Your Honor, he is sitting next to you. Allow me to introduce to the court Mr. Chad Nowell" gesturing to the man.

Everyone's eyes bulged open. Collins and Eric were closing and opening their mouths like a fish. Lillian was exhaling and inhaling. Heath looked entirely confused.

Diane was in disbelief. As was George.

"I swear if I turned this into a series, I would win every award imaginable and make a ton of money" he muttered to Diane.

"I agree" she whispered back.

Jude handed her a piece of paper.

"Your Honor this is also the DNA test results that show his relations with the Reyes twins" passing him the piece of paper. The judge looked it over.

"This is insane. A lie. How come I don't know?" Heath screamed, jumping to his feet.

"One more outburst Mr. Dwight and you will be escorted out." The Judge promised.

"To answer your question Mr. Dwight of course you didn't know. Your wife made sure of that." Nina bit back. Giving Lillian a smile.

Heath nearly broke his neck with how fast he turned to look at his wife. To her credit, Lillian was wearing a cold and neutral expression. He couldn't read her.

"Excuse me?" turning to Nina.

"May I answer?" Chad spoke up.

"Yes"

"You didn't know because that woman you call your wife made it so"

"How dare you! Who do you think you are?" he sneered.

"Your son" Nina couldn't help but add some injury to the wound.

Heath glared at her.

"Your wife found out that my mother was pregnant from you. So she got rid of the problem. And she made my family's life hell on earth"

"Why do you say that?" Nina asked.

"You see, it wasn't till one week ago that I discovered who my father was. My mother never told me. And she died nine and half years ago before she could reveal anything. When I found out, who he was I didn't care. I just wanted to confront the woman who destroyed my family's life" Chad spoke in a neutral voice. But anyone could see how hard he was trying to control his rage.

"Then I suggest a mediator" Irvin interrupted. "This has nothing to do with this case"

"Oh yes it does. If the Reyes are going to be near Mrs. Dwight we need beyond reasonable doubt that she is a good role model" Nina responded. "Please continue Mr. Chad" after seeing no opposition from the judge.

"My mother's uncle, my great-uncle was a cruel man. She was an orphan and he took her in. But she had to run away from him to escape his evil imperialism. He was so abusive. He nearly killed her when she was fifteen and she ran. She had to escape him. And she lived a life that was not what people would consider virtuous"

"The things we do to survive"

"Yes. She worked as a stripper. And met Mr. Dwight during his bachelor party. And became pregnant. My mother told me that she went to look for Heath for help. But instead ran into his new bride. She told Lillian everything. And even told her all about her life. Mrs. Dwight promised to help. But one day my great-uncle arrived and dragged her home. It was no coincidence. She was far away and had not seen him for five years. But after telling everything to Mrs. Dwight he suddenly found her."

"Yes I think that is too much of a coincidence" Nina murmured looking at Mrs. Dwight.

"Objection. That is speculation" Arnold demanded.

"It is his account and opinion counselor. Overruled. Please continue"

"What did your great-uncle do?" Nina asked gently.

"Well, for starters he looked us up for fourteen years, two months and 17 days in his basement" choking a bit. "I know. Cause every day my mother would count the stick she carved in the wall. And she would repeat it. Over and over. Trying to lessen the pain and the mundane"

Diane gasped out in shock. No matter what happens her sons would not come near this woman. She was evil. To turn her back on a baby. On a child! That was something sociopaths did. She and Eric should have been married.

"And she knew!" Chad losing all control now. "She bloody knew! That woman knew what he was like. There is no part of my body that is not void of scars or burns. We went hungry until he deemed it right to feed us. And she didn't care! She let us burn. And she went on with her life!"

Nina gave him a minute to calm down.

"How did you finally escape?"

"We escaped through the help of a mechanic who was bringing my uncle's car back. We had broken the glass window when he was out and kept screaming and screaming. He had come for something. Tools or something. He heard us and he came down and got us out. And we ran to the nearest bus. That was the first time I had seen the sunshine. He never let us out. Ever."

Heath was frozen like a statue. He could not believe what he was hearing. Maybe he would not have wanted the child. But he would have at least taken care of him.

"That night we stayed at a women's shelter. Hiding from that evil man. And my mother foolishly contacted her. Looked her up and got ahold of her. She just wanted some help. And she came. And you know what she did?" He asked Nina.

"Please tell me"

"She came to the motel and she told my mother that we ever tried to contact her, Heath Dwight or her child, she would make us disappear. Or tell my uncle where were and make sure this time he kept us away. Her exact words, she did it before and she would do it again. And she called that mercy. She said she was being merciful to scum like us and an illegitimate bastard like me. She said that Heath didn't know about me and he never would. That was her being merciful. Can you believe it?" he laughed tears falling from his eyes.

Collins slowly turned to look at his mother in shock and disbelief. This had to be a mistake.

Arnold was just shaking his head. Well they asked for an heir, and they had received one.

"Then she threw 150 dollars at my mother's face and then walked out. And I never saw her again"

Nina handed him a box of tissues.

"I will save the opposition trouble and ask if by chance o you have any proof of this?"

"Yes. I do. I recorded it. When we got to the shelter a woman gave us a phone. And she taught me how to record. Incase my uncle ever came again. Then I would have proof to go to the police. So I recorded that encounter. I didn't see her face that very well, but I would never forget that voice" sniffing.

Kathadoris was exhaling deeply. This was bad. Very bad. They should have taken that deal. This was not going to be easy. Nina and Jude had set him up from the very start. All those witnesses that he had called they were going to play them to their advantage. They had lain in wait and now they were ready to strike.

'I really should charge more. Yeah, I need to up my fee' thinking to himself. Looking to the man on the right of him, he was frozen in shock. He looked like he was going to pass out.

"Can I say something?." Chad asked the Judge.

"Go ahead" he nodded.

"I have heard her talk about forgiveness. But has she asked for forgiveness from u? No.  So who is she to talk about forgiveness? She knows nothing about remorse. Absolutely nothing. I was the dispensable child of her husband, why did she give a damn. I would only have had a use if she needed something" he growled.

Jude knew it would be considered disrespectful if he smiled. But damn this was working well for them. His word choice couldn't have been better even if they rehearsed it.

"I don't care if my father has billions. I just care that the woman he married inflicted so much pain on people. She is an evil monster who has no respect for human life. Who could be so cruel? She knowingly fed us to a sociopath man and didn't give a damn. She saw the bruising on my mother's body. And she didn't care. She cared only for her prestige and honor. But what hurts more than her insensitivity" he choked up.

Taking deep breaths. "What hurts more than her insensitivity and denying me a father is that her malice and wickedness led to a death." Chad was full out crying now.

Everyone froze at his words; the judge, the opposition lawyers, all of the Dwights and The Timmons and the bailiff and even the court reporter. Everyone except Jude and Nina. They knew what was coming.

Getting himself together once again and tears streaming down his face "My twin sister, Sidney. That monster beat her to death before we could get away"

Heath started to clutch his chest and was breathing erratically.

"And Lillian Dwight is responsible for her death" in clenched teeth filled with hatred. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.3K 1K 52
"To bastards!" I said, gesturing to Vincent and Mason. "And to the girls that endure all the pain." I clicked Tina's glass while she watched me take...
Reunited By Rebecca

General Fiction

269K 10.7K 29
She had always felt like an out cast, she knew her family hated her but she didn't understand why. maybe it was because they never truly wanted her...
3.7K 247 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
2.5M 94.1K 30
"Dammit woman, talk to me," Zach pulls at his hair in frustration; his eyes never leave my face. There is a hint of sadness in his voice but other th...