Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 84

14 1 10
By SkyAngel_

Just a warning, this is pretty much unedited. Sorry, I wanted to get this chapter out and I've been really busy lately.

〰〰〰

"Wake from your slumber! We have news!" Qin bellows, storming into the room.

Kagon sits up from the couch so fast that his head spins, he can see that Delia's reaction is the same.

After all their questions were answered, both hero and scribe got a chance to bathe and replace their travel worn clothes with Shadowlander garb. The two had began napping after the refreshment of their baths in order to regain some energy for the looming battle they were sure to have.

"What's the news?" Delia asks, stumbling off the bed to stand before Qin.

"Come downstairs, the Shadowlander that brought it to us is going to present it to the rest of the rebels." At that, Qin leads the way down the cramped stairwell, leaving Kagon and Delia no other choice but to follow.

As they descend, Kagon is surprised to notice just how big the building is. The hero doesn't care to count the many level they pass whilst going down the stairs. Once they finally reach the ground floor, Kagon is immediately overwhelmed by the swell of rebels packed close together. At the front of the large room is a shorter Shadowlander and Iglesias standing on a long, stout table.

"Is that everyone?" Iglesias asks, upon seeing Qin, Delia, and Kagon's arrival.

"I believe so!" Qin calls as he makes his way to the front, leaving Delia and Kagon to survey from the back of the room.

"Good, alright, Rint. Tell us your news." Iglesias prompts, smiling kindly to the timid looking Shadowlander.

Rint steps forward, twisting a handful of the black church robes that fall slack on his slender form. "Daqa had me send the Primary Sacrifice to the maidservants in order to be prepared for Gahenna's feasting." Rint announces, remaining straight-faced though his voice quavers. "He told me that the sacrifice will occur as soon as darkness falls tonight."

"Is there anything else, Rint?" Iglesias asks.

"Nothing else except that I thought it should be noted that Daqa is surely expecting us to make a move. Oh, and that he has his sights set on finding those that have traveled with Kipdale. He is hoping that the two of them will be a good substitute for the premature loss of the Secondary Sacrifice."

Kagon feels as if he is once again frozen on Mount O'Hare, powerless and cold. If we do not approach this battle with tact, then Delia and I's lives are at the top of Daqa's list to take.

Kagon looks at Delia from the corner of his eyes. The black Shadowlander clothes and the largeness of her cloak seem to swallow her whole as if she is already being consumed by the great pit.

I can't let her die. Kagon locks his jaw stubbornly. I took her from her village to help her, but I think that she has helped me just as much. I can't let her die. He repeats. I have not cared so deeply for someone since the death of my mother.

This realization washes over him like acid. He pushed people out of his everyday life ever since the monstrous beasts murdered his mother. Kagon had even kept away from Heswyn, the woman that saved him all those years ago. His journey had been the blind slashing of a sword until he met Delia.

It had all been about trying to make up for the death of a mother I never had a chance of saving. I realize that now. However, I am stronger than I was when my mother died. I can save Delia and Kip. I have to.

Kagon moves closer to Delia and gently squeezes her shoulder. "Don't you worry, lass. Daqa can want us, but he can't have us. Not on my watch, anyway."

Delia smiles gratefully. "Thank you Kagon." Her voice hitches as she hesitates for a moment. "You have been the best friend I've ever had."

Kagon's heart warms from this, a slow smile spreading across his face. "So have you, writer Delia." He squeezes her arm one more time before dropping it back to his side. However, their shoulders still touch.

"We will not let the followers of Gahenna take any more lives." Qin says, lips pressed in a straight, grin line. "Nor can we allow the sacrificing of Kipdale. If we do, then our chance to stop Gahenna and her followers will cease."

"Exactly." Iglesias agrees. "The time to act is now! Qin and I already have a plan within the workings. We will use that to infiltrate the Temple and rip Gahenna's Shadow Stain from Kipdale, collapsing the goddess's power once and for all!"

The crowd of people lift their voices into a chorus of cheers and shouts. Delia looks at Kagon with a smile and the two's voices join the rest.

〰〰〰

Scented water drips off of Kip's hair, rolls down his brown skin, and plops into the pool of cloudy water around him. One of the handmaids scrub soap into his hair while another clips his nails.

Kip has never felt so humiliated. I'm like a prized pet that gets pampered and groomed. I hate it.

Anger stirs in his belly, but he knows that he cannot use Gahenna's powers to escape because of whatever Daqa did to him. It has already been shown to me that running is not an option either.

That leaves Kip to sitting still and quiet, hoping that Delia and Kagon will come soon.

That is if they're alright. Kip isn't even sure that the rebels really were there to save them. They could have wanted us for some ulterior motive.

Kip shivers within the warm water. Everyone has something that they want. Some will destroy others in order to get that, like Daqa and his power or even Maude and his want to be rid of Gahenna's power over him.

Kip can still feel Maude roughly pushing past Delia and him in order to escape the Shadowlander warriors.

If Delia and Kagon have been caught up in the rebels' motive, then I fear my big talk to Daqa will remain as such-- talk and no action.

The handmaiden nearest to him pours water over his head, rinsing the soap suds from his hair. Once the maid is sure that all the soap is off, she gestures for Kip to get out of the tub and then to the towel hanging on a hook.

At once, the handmaids all turn their backs to give Kip some privacy. For this, he is grateful. Kip clambers out of the pool and quickly dries himself. When he's done, he wraps the towel around his waist and clears his throat.

The handmaids turn back around. One of them giggles and blushes at his exposed chest, however she is quickly hushed by another, older maid.

"Why won't any of you talk?" Kip asks.

The handmaid nearest to him only shakes her head. Kip can only guess that the maid's have taken some kind of oath of silence.  The woman that shook her head offers him a pile of neatly folded white clothes. Kip tentatively takes them and the handmaids turn their backs once more. Complacently, he slips on the loose, white pants and short-sleeved shirt. His feet stay bare.

"I'm done." Kip announces, his voice sounding strained and alien.

I sound afraid.

The maids turn back to face him. One of them takes a brush to his wavy, tangled hair. Kip has to slightly hunch his shoulders in order for her to brush properly. Until then, he hadn't really realized just how tall he had gotten.

How old am I now? I was fifteen, but am I sixteen by now? Kip calculates in his head. Yes, I'm sixteen, my birthday came and went while I was unconscious on the ship. I wonder how old Delia is now? Is she still sixteen?

Kip's thoughts turn elsewhere, as thoughts tend to do. Will I live past sixteen? Will I even be able to see Delia again and tell her...tell her how I feel? Sadness and rage build in Kip's chest. Why was I even chosen as Primary Sacrifice?!

Suddenly, Kip is ripped out of his thoughts when the handmaid's straighten to attention as Daqa saunters into the room. His red-violet eyes scan over Kip. He nods once and goes to leave, but Kip stops him with the question that had been plaguing him.

"Why have I been chosen as Primary Sacrifice?"

Daqa looks at him with a sly smile, eyes narrowed like a snake's when studying their prey. "You are young with a heart unselfish and  are loyal to those you love. It is a rare thing paired with all the agony you have faced. Agony is a succulent treat to the goddess. She likes her sacrifices scarred, which is why I allowed you to escape." Daqa says offhandedly.

Kip's whole body feels as if it is already being devoured by Gahenna. "You let me escape?" He breathes out.

Daqa bares his sharp, discolored teeth. "Yesss. You would be so foolish as to think you escaped by your own wits? No, I would never have let you leave unless it was Gahenna's will."

Kip slumps as if he is a child's rag doll that had been swung around too many times. "How did you know I would come back?"

"All those that have been marked by Gahenna either return to her or die, you are no exception. The pain of being separated too far or too long from her is enough to drive a person insane."

Kip feels as if all he knew is crumbling around him. "I was never free...I was always a puppet to the destiny Gahenna set for me."

"Precisely. My goddess wanted you to go through more heartbreak and loss, she wanted to test the limits of your purity and she did. Not only that, but she gained something unexpected from her patience. The ultimate heartbreak you will face is when your friends are all fed to Gahenna before your very eyes, including the woman that holds your heart."

Delia...I-I should have never brought her or anyone else into this.

Daqa licks his lips. "You told me earlier that your friends will come for you, well, I believe you." He chuckles. "Oh, and I being a religious and devout follower thank you on my goddess' behalf. Thank you for bringing her more sacrifices then she expected." Daqa laughs, the sound ringing and echoing throughout the room.

Through the sorrow that pumps through Kip like blood, only three thoughts come to him clearly.

I did this...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242 19 8
The kingdom of Istamid is under the tyrannical rule of dragons, but there are still places where the dragons' presence isn't felt so strongly. One su...
196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
3.1K 450 59
~The Elves lost their Magic. The Princess is a Dragon. The Halfling is a Shifter. And Witches rule the Realm.~ Liss' clan lives in a world of seclusi...
56 3 17
**New chapters released each week** In the heart of the Draconian Empire lies the ancient city of Drakon, where the shadows of past glory whisper tal...