THE STORY OF US | Editing

By thedreamsoul

#13 in short story It was rainbow and sunshine every day for Anika in her life. She has the brightest smile o... More

Say Hello
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
| Thank you |

Chapter 9

1.8K 183 39
By thedreamsoul

"I don't want smooth sailing;
I want a rainstorm.

'Ordinary' is something
We should all
Be running from.

_ s.r.w

"Can you please drive fast? I have a flight to catch." I impatiently drummed my fingers on the dashboard, glancing at my watch to see that I have an hour to do in my hands.

"Sir, the traffic is hectic. We are stuck here for a good twenty minutes." The driver sighed, looking at the vehicles lined in front of us.

There was no way that I could reach in time. I tapped my foot lightly, creating a rhythm as an old song played in the radio. The driver was an old man, greyish haired and bearded.

"Have you been to Delhi before, sir?" He asked, his eyes on the sidewalk.

"Yeah, for business," I answered, following his gaze.

There was a small girl, hugging her knees to herself as three boys tried to have her attention. They were street children, their appearance confirmed it. A boy was pacing around, his fingers laced together as he murmured something continuously. A younger one was trying to cheer her up, making joker's faces and the other was silently whispering something to her.

They looked sad and I hated it.

They were weak, coward, poor and everything that I was not. They were homeless, sitting on the sidewalk to gain the sympathy of others. They were broken, revealing their scars to others instead of healing it, hiding it from the prying eyes of society and taking it as a challenge and start working, anything, just anything.

The hearts of everyone is blind, they break them more and skin you alive with their piercing words. There is no one to guide them in this cruel world. There is no one to tell them what is wrong and right. They don't know that it is wrong to show their vulnerability to others, they will make use of it and stab you in the back.

I looked away, my fist clenched.

But my eyes went back to them again and my heart sank when I saw silver droplets staining the girl's cheeks. It reminded me of my cousins. I can never imagine her as Priyanka and the boys as Rudra and Omkara. I will never forgive myself if they ever went to bed with an empty stomach.

I sighed, "How many more minutes?"

"Nearly ten."

"I will be right back-" I unlocked the door.

"But sir -"

I shot him a glare. "Listen, I am not going to run away, I promise. I will be back soon and I am keeping my suitcase, in case you doubt me. Now, never think of running away with it because I will sue you."

I stepped out of the car, the cool breeze hitting me. I took a step ahead, the honks of other cars audible. I walked ahead, my eyes on the kids on the pavement.

"Hey,"

They looked at me, curiosity and fear filling their eyes. The boy who was whispering earlier draped an arm across the girl's shoulder protectively. The others were still staring at me like I was an alien. 

"Don't worry, I am not here to scare you away." I patted the younger boy's shoulder, making sure my words and tone were right.

"Why are you here then?" The boy has stopped pacing, he stood in front of me now with his arms crossed on his chest.

"Why is your sister crying?" I asked, softly.

Their gaze shifted to the little girl, with concern and care filling their eyes. I felt poorer in comparison to them, I was in a three-piece suit and they were in the clothes which were torn in places and had been worn for a long time, I was living in a mansion where their home was the street but I felt poor than them. There was love between them and just getting through a day makes them happy.

I sighed when my question went unanswered. "I will give you some money."

I took my wallet out, the younger boy's eyes lighted up, just like how little one's eyes illuminated when they get the latest video game, car or a ticket to their dreamland but this time, the money was to fill their stomach.

"You will?" He asked, grinning.

"Yes, but what are you going to do with it?" I asked, looking at the other two boys.

"She is crying because she didn't eat anything for a week except a few bread crumbles. We are very thankful and we will save it for food." The one who has been silent till now replied.

"Only for food?"

"Yes." He nodded.

I took a few notes and handed it to him, their eyes showed gratitude. "You are not going to spend the whole money on food. Now, go to a hotel or stall and have a hearty meal. Go to the railway station in the morning and buy four tickets to Mumbai, hand this card 'Oberoi Mansion' to the taxi driver and I will give work for all of you."

"Why would you?"

"I want to make sure you will not be seen in the streets again. You can work in our garden and I will pay you. If you spend the whole money on food, then you are going to be empty handed in the next week and you will be choosing a life you don't want. Do as I say, I promise it will better be than this." I gestured to the place and they nodded, thankfully.

I exchanged a few more words with them and went back to the cab, with a smile on my face and a lighter heart. I would have never done this, it was a surprise to myself but I did it, I helped four children and it gave me more happiness than any deal gave me.

Anika.

It has been two weeks since I started working with her and her father, Madhav Bansal. It was hard to get along,  the bickering and pranks continued that she was a nightmare to me. Sometimes, I even dreamed of her in my sleep, hunting me down with a hair clip which was used by her to poke me in the office. The girl was crazy and I deeply regretted offering her my home to stay.

But slowly, we started getting along and had conversations which lasted more than ten minutes without both of us wanting to kill each other. She was a nice company to have, her stories and jokes lifted the spirit of the office and I liked having her around. We are kind of, sort of and close to friends now.

I opened the door, sliding into the passenger seat and the satisfying face of the driver.

"Sir, your phone rang many times." He reported, pointing at my new iPhone on the dashboard.

25 missed calls, Anika.

Damn, the flight was long gone.

Anika:
Where are you?

Anika:
Where the hell are you, Billu ji? We will miss the plane.

Anika:
You, Kanji Ankhowala Bhagad Billa, I will roast you alive. We missed it.

Anika:
Are you alive?

Anika:
Shivaye, should I be worried?

Anika:
Okay, I am calling the police now.

She cared. My lips curved into a smile, probably for the last time, before she kills me. I tried calling her but my balance was zero and I chose to text.

Shivaye:
I am alive, I guess for a few more minutes before you dig my grave. Something came up and I couldn't make it. I am sorry, I apologize for it and we can take the hopper tomorrow. I promise I will make it to you somehow. Meet you soon.

Anika:
You better. I won't open the door if you don't bring a large pepperoni pizza with extra cheese, sizzling brownie, and large fries, I need them now.

Shivaye:
Will do, madam.

My life, with Anika in it, was going to be a roller coaster and I was ready for the ride.

Thank you so much for all the love and support, it means a lot. By default, I love you ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 11K 41
"Why have u come here? Has they left u from the mental asylum?" Shivaay asked "Mental Asylum. Hmm.. Interesting. I was never meant to be there my dea...
7.3K 663 13
A sacred bond of togetherness, compassion and love. Completed with the symbols of their love. Likin kaha jata hain na bura waqt rehta hain... Na achh...
394K 25.2K 27
"Marriage with a billionarie was shit , that's what i learned from my marriage life" Anika look towards the baby in Nitya arms and give a sad smile...
77.5K 6K 61
Famous Industrialist, CEO of Oberoi Industries Shivaay Singh Oberoi had planned everything perfectly in his life. Starting from business to his famil...