Inferno

By SlowKreations

As the Vampire Realm prepares for battle against a mysterious enemy, the city's captiol is thrown into mayhem... More

P Ä R T 1
P R Ę F A C Ę
P R Ø P H E C Y
R I S Ë
O P U L Ë N C E
B Ë A U T Y
P R I S O N Ë R S
T H Ø R N
B L Ø O D M Ø O N
H Ø M E
M I R R Ø R M I R R Ø R
S I Ñ K
A D D I C T I Ø N
F L A R Ë S
C A G Ë D
F L Ë D G L I N G
P L Ä N S
H Ø P E
V I Ä L S
H A U N T Ë D
H Ø A X
T R Ü S T
R A G Ë
C L Ä N
K I Ł Ł
L Ø S I A N
H Ë X
E L I T Ë
S H A D Ë S
P H Ö T Ø
D Ë A T H
R Ë A D Ę R

T A K Ë N

4.5K 324 3
By SlowKreations

15. M I R A

      They look like creatures come to life from a nightmare.

Their bulking figures span over eight feet. Skin blotchy and pink which strains over protruding bones. They are devoid of facial features, however, ominous red lips round the space where their noses should be. Their limbs are of a humans, but they are not covered in cloth. They don't need it because, they don't have private areas. Finally, their hands and feet are tipped with black claws.

I whisper in astonishment, "What are they? This day just keeps getting stranger and stranger."

"I have no idea," Thorn replies. "But, I'm hoping I fell asleep on the beach, and this is a wine induced dream." Her voice is small as she tries to reassure herself. "I'll wake up soon." She nervously chuckles.

One of the beasts flies into the air and lands with a thundering aftershock near the entrance of the garden. The shed vibrates with a tremor, and I look to her.

I shake my head, "I don't think your asleep Thorn, and I definitely don't think this is a dream."

The creature opens it's mouth revealing a heinous sight. It has nine circled rows of jagged teeth, leading to a forked tongue. The pink ligament slithers out of its mouth like it's tasting the air.

"He's smelling the air," Thorn whines in fear.

He's about to walk deeper into the garden when a command from behind, halts him.

      A sword cuts through green shrubbery. A lanky man dressed in dark armour walks out from the shadows. He has long red hair, it flows around his angular face. His dark eyes stand out against snowy skin. And, he does not come alone, behind him the figure of a woman emerges, followed by another man.

      The woman has spiked blonde hair. She wears a complicated suit of metal that reveals the tattooed skin of her arms and legs. Her feet are encased within boots, that have spiked red bottoms.

      Finally, the last man enters the light. His hair is shaved close to his head. His body is roped with thick muscle. He is dressed from neck to toe in black, with a red insignia over his heart. The symbol is of a serpent curling around a sword, one I recognise. From his shoulders hangs a crimson cape, and his waist is belted with an armoury of weapons. One of his eyes had rotted to a black hole.

"He has to be the leader," Thorn voices what I'm thinking. The one eyed man holds himself with an air of superiority, that the other two don't posses.

"I think you're right," my stomach sinks, in his hand is my bag. In my haste to find Thorn, I had forgotten all about the things I had left behind. The blonde woman holds up the half empty bottle of wine, her eyes search through the area. A soundless call, telling me they know someone is close by.

But, it's the leader who holds our attention. He strides straight into the face of the one mouthed creature, who lowers his head in submission.

"Wow," Thorn breathes out, "makes you wonder what kind of monster that guy is, if that thing is scared of him."

Through the shed, we hear the man's angry voice like the crack of a whip. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his wrath.

"I brought you out here to hunt for humans, not to chase you around this godforsaken island." The man points his finger at the other beast, who still dangles from the Church. "Get the fuck down now, your not on holiday."

The creature lunges into the air and lands on his feet, sending the ground quaking with another tremor. The woman and the red head man steady themselves, while the leader of the group is still as a rock, like he's accustomed to the beasts and their movement. He glares at the rest of his companions, with lips set in an eternal grimace.

      "Octavius," The red head man says, "I say we go. The Empress, will have our heads if we don't make it back on time."

      It's the woman who scoffs at him before bringing the wine to her lips. She drains it before smashing the empty bottle against a tree.

      "I told you," she looks at their leader Octavius, "we shouldn't have brought Horace," the woman bites out. Her voice is cold like an artic frost, "he's got no testicles to back up that obnoxious mouth."

      "Shut up, Leila." Horace spits at her while sheathing his sword. "At least I've captured three humans on this raid, what have you done?"

      Before Leila, can send a snide retort Horace's way, Octavius growls out in frustration.

      "Will you two stop bickering! You're both driving me mad. For the last two days, neither of you have shut up." A large vein throbs near his forehead, the man seems ready to burst with anger. "This is the last stop, then we'll take the boat back to Paris. We'll reach port in a few hours if we make haste. We've got a decent amount of humans to sell on the black market, you'll each get your cut. But, I swear, if you two don't shut your fang holes, I'll leave you both stranded here on this island."

      Leila sways to Octavius, draping her arm around his waist. "Come now, don't be so angry." She bats her lashes at him.

      Horace rolls his eye at the poor display of one sided obsession. He chuckles as Octavius shoves Leila off of him. Octavius steps deeper into the garden, before turning to look back at his comrades.

      "Search inside the Church." The command sends the four each on separate paths.

      Internally, I am thankful for the overgrown foliage of the garden. The trees and flowers mask the shed heavily. Unless someone knew where to specifically look, they would never come across it.

      However, as Octavius edges deeper into the garden and walks to the cliff overlooking the ocean, I signal to Thorn, that we have to be quiet now. Then, I motion for her to slide into one of the many pockets I have sewn, inside my dress.

Octavius makes sure he's alone when he brings a silver flask from his belt of weapons. Uncapping it, the man takes a lengthy drink before tucking it away. Dark red stains his chapped lips, and I notice that the liquid is much too thick to be wine. His eyes glaze over with primal satisfaction. From his mouth, two large white fangs shine in the rising moonlight.

I'm unable to stop myself from gagging in disgust. Quickly, I put my hands over my mouth.

Octavius' head lifts up as if he's heard the small sound I've made. His eyes move over the trees in front of the shed. My heart begins to drum wildly, as he takes a few steps forward.

As quietly as I can, I manoeuvre myself behind the door. I stand with my body pressed tightly against the wall. Something nearby on the shelf catches my eye and I reach for the weapon. The axe has rusted along the blade, I'm sure it won't stand a chance against this warlord. But still, it feels better to hold onto something that I can defend myself with. I don't know what compels me to do so, but I trust my instinct, which tells me these people aren't friendly. They're looking to sell humans on some black market. Which, implies they aren't human.

I may have fangs like Octavius, but I know in the pit of my stomach, that him and I don't share the same morals. I have no regret for my quick judgement of him.

"Whoever they were, they're long gone!" Horace shouts as he saunters back into the garden.

"Yeah, we might as well get on." Leila begrudgingly agrees folding her arms.

"Fine." Octavius says.

A soft exhale leaves my body, and I realise my mistake a moment too late.

My sound is enough to propel Octavius into action. I can feel his movement. His body's thundering speed sprints for the shed, and I raise the axe up in the air with a shaking grip.

He kicks the door open, and the wood moans from the force. He has to crouch to look inside the shed, and just before he turns to see me, I swing the axe at his face.

With a rush the metal drags over the harsh contours of his cheek, right under his good eye. He shouts in pain as a thick gash breaks open his flesh. Black blood spurts out from the wound, as the axe gets lodged into his face. For a moment he's shocked at what's happened, then he begins to move.

Adrenaline pulses through me, I'm a millisecond faster then his arms, that whip out to grab me. I've reached into my bag that hangs off his shoulder, retrieving my book. I shove it in the same pocket of that the newspapers are stuffed in. In a flash, I crawl between his legs, running out into the garden.

Unfortunately, Leila and Horace are ready for me with shocked expressions.

Leila has a rope of thin wire swinging in her hands. She sends it flying through the air, straight at me.

A torturous whimper of pain leaves my lips, as the unsuspecting wire whips around my arms. It's painful grip ensnares my wrists into a bondage.

Horace unsheathes his sword but makes no move to rush at me. He doesn't know what to do and simply watches everything unfold.

Leila sends a second rope of wire into the air. She's playing with me now, letting the material kiss painfully along my calves. A smile curls her lips as she looks like she's enjoying herself.

"Finally, something fun to do!" She squeals as excitement livens her eyes. In measured strokes she lashes my body.

Her teasing sport is cut short as rough arms curl around my form. I'm lifted off the ground and turned in the grasp of Octavius. He's ripped the axe from his face and his cheek is cut open, revealing rotten bone. He looks like an enraged monster, glaring down at me with his bloody face. He yanks me so close that are noses almost touch. With one hand he holds onto the collar of my dress, as the other painfully squeezes my jaw open. His eye wildly searches my mouth, and I can feel the disappointment spear through him.

"Fledgling!" His roar vibrates through my head. Then he sends me flying through the air, straight to Leila's feet. I hit the ground painfully and roll to a stop on my stomach. Leila's shoe shadows over my face and comes to rest on my cheek, the spikes threaten to pierce the skin. I'm still as stone, knowing if I move, she will step on me with her full weight.

"What should we do with her." Leila asks as she glances at Octavius. He's wipes at his face with the back of his hand.

"The black market, don't buy fledglings." Horace mutters sullenly. His dark eyes watch me oddly.

"Should we leave her here to starve?" Leila asks with a quip of laughter.

My mind is in a chaotic twister of agony as my hands dig into my stomach. The wire laced around my wrists is sharp and barbed. But I'm unable to focus on the discomfort as I think of Thorn. I hope she's ok, not crushed somewhere in my pocket.

The earth vibrates with the footfalls of the two beastly monsters. They've come back from their search empty handed.

"Let her be dinner for the Undead," Octavius says nonchalantly. The corner of his lip almost twitches with delight. He yells at the creatures then flicks his chin to me. "Eat up."

Leila lifts her foot off of me and moves back. I'm in the centre as the three form a triangular grid around me. Simultaneously, they take another step back as the beasts walk to me.

I'm frozen, as the ghoulish creatures kneel around me. Their black claws stretch like they plan to flay me. They open their red lips and let their forked slither out, scenting me. Just as they seem ready to cut into me, their claws retract as they step away from me. My heart is beating so powerfully I think it might implode. It echoes in my ears, thundering like a storm.

From the corner of my eye I can make out Octavius insulting the Undead, and blaming his cronies. Over the rush of my heart, I can't hear what he's saying to them. But whatever it is, I know it does not bode well for me.

"Why don't we give her up to the labour camps?" Horace cuts through Leila's argument with Octavius. "At least she'll be of some use then. Killing her would be a waste of hands."

Leila and Octavius blanch, for the first time Horace is the voice of reason.

Pain palpitates the left side of my head, where the impact of Octavius' push is felt most. My vision of the island begins to distort like a kaleidoscope. As the three true monsters come to stand together.

These are the thieves my book warned me of, the thieves that have come to steal, kill, and destroy.

I am less profitable to them dead so they do not kill.

Leila drags my body up so I'm sitting on my knees. Everything seems to hurt.

Octavius has lit a match on fire and starts for the church.

Tears water my eyes, a pained scream tears out of my throat. I beg, I plead, I grovel for my home to not be destroyed. Mindless words leave my lips, I cannot make out what I'm saying. I try to break free of Leila's hands, but she holds me rigidly.

Octavius turns to smile at me and flicks the match to the foundation of the building. The orange fire catches fast and spreads quickly and my anguish only worsens. He's still smiling at me with his disfigured face, looking like a devil standing in front of the blaze. Leila forces me to watch, as everything I've come to love withers to ash. I think of Father's statue and his crown of shells.

A sob rips through me and I'm crying like a lost child. I know I'm imagining it, but I hear the keys of an organ in my mind. I hear the familiar melody, the one that broke my curse of sleep. Each note obliterates my insides, as smoke clouds the air drowning the stars.

The fire is out of control eating away not only at the church but spreading into the wildlife. Everything is destroyed nothing is spared. They've turned the island into a graveyard.

Octavius grunts at his team, "come on." He leads them back the way they came.

Leila hoists me over her shoulders, complaining about my screams the entire way back to the beach.

I look up, the dome of the church shatters, raining a crescendo of glass down.

I'm a complete mess as they steal me into the night. They walk to the shore, and as they wade through the water, it sprays my face, mixing with my tears. Then they're climbing onto the steel metal of a boat.

Leila takes a flight of steps down into a dark hallway. She shoulder opens caged iron doors. I'm unceremoniously tossed onto cold floors. My cries echo throughout the room. I'm so lost in grief I don't even see when the heel of her shoe connects with my head.

Making everything go black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8 0 5
In the world of Lyreth, conflict breaks loose as the elves and humans turn against the dragons. A small group of unlikely heros set off to find the d...
Helix By Jade

Werewolf

9.3K 987 35
Born into a royal family the youngest prince of Arcadia was destined for an easy life of prosperity, but destiny is the greatest of life's lies. For...
97 2 12
In the wake of their mother, the Queen's, untimely death, two sisters emerge from hiding to unravel the mystery surrounding her demise. As they prepa...
306 20 30
Hundreds of years ago, magic was something to be feared. Thousands of warlocks and witches were put to death just because of how they were born. They...