Soldier

By Skalem

Alice is a talented champion of archery and has just won a place in the nationals. But once her curiosity tak... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
*UPDATE*
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 2

1K 32 17
By Skalem

Chapter 2

I stumbled and soon fell on the ground. I looked around a saw a forest. Same forest? Behind me were the entangled trees with the hole, but now there were no light. As soon as a stepped through all of my surroundings started to spin. When I got out it was like someone was spitting me out. Like I was a bit of saliva the mouth didn't want. I reached to my pocket to feel my ipod still tucked in there. I sighed of relief and stood up. I started to run my track home, feeling the hole scared me as long as I still was at its side. The sky turned grey and I soon felt small drops of rain land on my head. I quickly increased my speed and when I got to my house I stopped. This isn't my house, my mind screamed. Instead of grandmothers house stood a small cabin made of wood. I looked around on my setting. Yes, this is supposed to be the place. It's not possible for the house to be demolished and built for under an hour. I dared not to knock and instead I continued on the road knowing it would lead to the nearby city. On my way the rain had increased and I was soaking wet. The wind catched on and a chill ran down my spine. In the distant I saw a figure appearing, walking slowly towards me. I started to run. “Hey!”

The figure stopped and squinted at me in the distant. I realised it was a young girl. As soon as I arrived at six feet from her, she gazed widen in shock when she saw my clothes.

“I'm not allowed to talk to strangers” the girl answered before I had a chance to open my mouth and she quickly moved passed me. I grabbed her shoulder, making her stop. “Please, I need to ask you a question!” She tried to release her from my grip, but I didn't budge. “Please”

She sighed and told me to ask fast. “Do you know anyone named Lisa Perkinson living here?”

“I'm sorry, but I don't recall anyone with that name” She said and I released her shoulder. The girl continued her walking, quicker than before. “How far to the village?” I cried. She turned around and her eyes was laid cautiously on me. “At least eight miles and if I were you, I wouldn't go there wearing that” “Why not?” “It is not a proper or decent for a woman”

I made my way towards her. I must have frightened her less because she didn't move away.

“What is this called?” I said to her. “Why, clothes I recall” “No, where am I?”

“Why you're in Peripitur of course!”

* * *

“Who is she?” “I don't know, she won't speak a word” “How can you invite someone in, and in those clothes, without even knowing their name?” “As soon as I told her where we were she came in chock! I didn't know what to do but to bring her here. It would be rude if I let her stay in the rain”

The voices chattered around me but I didn't recall much of it. I was soaked through and quite in chock still. Perpitur, my mind said, Perpitur. I don't recall knowing any city with english citizens have a village called Perpitur. Geography was never my strong side but I would have remembered if there even existed a town like that. My eyes blinked twice and all of sudden I rose from the chair I was placed on. I heard gasp at my sudden movement. “I have to get home” I said walking to the door.

“My lady” An elderly woman walked in front of me and blocked the door. “I have to get home”

I repeated that sentence over and over.

“You can't go out looking like that, my lady” the lady cried and reached for my arm. “At least borrow some of my clothes” “What's wrong with my clothes?”

I turned around and looked at them. Behind her stood the young girl I met on the road earlier. Only inches from her stood the older woman I presume is her mother. Both of them had long dresses down to their ankles, very medieval if I could recall anything like it.

“It is not appropriate for a woman of your standards to wear anything like it, my lady” Why did she keep calling me my lady? “Why do you keep saying that?”

The older woman started to fuss at my question. “What do I say, my lady?” “That, the title”

“Oh, is it not correct? I mean, we rarely see curly hair nowadays and I presumed that it...” Her words faded. My curls? She thought I was of high standards because of my hair? I know it roll arounds in ways that annoys me sometime but never did I know it could make such a fuss.

“I'm not a lady, and I'm not changing clothes” I said strictly. “I just want to know where I am”

“Peripitur” the girl answered proudly. I gave her a glare. “I'm aware of that”

“The land is named Tahol, my... sorry” I gave it a thought. I didn't recall any countries named Tahol either. Where the bloody hell am I? “This can't be true” I wondered out loud. “One minute I'm doing my training in my grandmothers forest and the next thing I'm in this fantasy land”

“What's a fantasy land?” The girl asked. “Hush, Phee”

How's this possible? One minute there, then... the tree hole! I rose quickly to my feet and ran out the door. “Phee, where you're going?” the mother cried. “I'm going with her. Don't worry, I'll be back in no time”

I followed the same tracks and soon I was back to the trees. I heard Phee's panting behind me in her attempt to catch up. “What are you doing?” She asked as I investigated the hole.

“The thing is I came through this hole” I went through it many times and Phee was still there. “Why doesn't it work?” I screamed and started to panic. “I have to go home, I have nationals to attend!”

“What's nationals?” “What's with the twenty questions?” Phee's looked hurt at my cheeky answer and I hurried to apologies. “I just want to get home” I sat on a rock nearby and laid my head in my hands. We were quiet for a moment.

“Since you are going to visit for a while, maybe you could introduce yourself?” I looked up and saw Phee's curious gaze. “Alice. My name is Alice”

Phee smiled at me. “We have a saint called Alice” I smiled back at her. “Really, you have to tell me all about her” “It's quite a long story, I don't think you would want to hear it” She said as we started walking back to the cabin. “Since I'm going to visit for a while, as you recall, I would love to hear it”

As we walked I turned my head and gazed upon the hole. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, wishing the curious light would reappear. It didn't.

* * *

The days flew by and my hopes about ever going home faded each day. Every morning and every night I would visit the trees in case the light would pop out of nowhere. Apparently my faith wasn't strong enough, because each time it would disappoint me. Instead my worries about grandma increased and I wondered if she had called the police by now. I watched Phee as she milked their cow.

“You can help, if you want” I heard her say. I hadn't been eager to learn anything or even help due to the fact that I might be going home. I didn't want to get too attached to them. Only Phee knew where I came from. I wanted to be truthful to all of them, but Phee said that it might not be wise. “Magic is not a thing we should trust and people knowing your heritage is not wise if you do not wish to be executed” I remember she told me. Her mother simply believed I was a bit of a loony and thought it was her duty to take care of me until my family came for me. I didn't dare to say I was an orphan. I was in no need for more pity. Since my arrival I hadn't seen any other family members. Phee talked about a father, but I don't remember what happened to him. I stood up and rolled up my sleeves. Yes, I wear a similar dress as the others. Since Phee told about the magic I didn't want to stand out and finally asked for a dress.

“What can I do?” I said and moved closer to her. “Have you ever milked a cow before?”

“Never” “Then you have now” Phee said and placed me on the seat she just left. I looked at the cow in front of me with amazement and poked at its teats. “You can touch them” She said, very amused at my gesture. I took one teat in my hand and squeezed. White liquid poured into the bucket. I laughed and squeezed harder. “It's easy!” I cried with laughter. My worries was gone and I could gladly been in that spot all day.

“Tom” Phee suddenly cried and ran from my side to the door. I looked up and saw a young man hugging Phee. My nervousness flowed all over me as I quickly pulled myself up. Phee gave me an odd look. I tugged at my dress. “Tom, this is Alice. She is staying with us for a while”

Tom gave me a friendly smile and continued to the stall where the horses were. I couldn't stop looking at him. “What are you doing?” Phee asked, suddenly at my feet.

“I'm curious at why haven't I met him before” I said, still not looking away from Tom.

“He's our farmhand. If you stopped being so pitiful all the time and went to other places other than the forest and cabin, you would have”

Now Phee followed my gaze and noticed its target. “You like him” She smirked at me and I blushed. “Of course not, I've only just met him” “There's love at first sight” “No, there's smacking at first sight if you don't cut it”

Phee still grinned at me when she took my seat next to the cow. Tom took one of the horses and led it out on the field outside. I stayed put on my spot. Just stay put and you'll be fine.

* * *

I studied the hole carefully and only blinked in need. This was the first time I went back to the trees after a week of silence and trying not to bother. If I counted the days correctly, today was my mum's birthday. Even though it's been years since she died, me and my grandmother always celebrated it. Neither of us wanted to forget her or dad so we did our best to keep their memories alive. Every year we visited their graveyard on those days. I never went there on their annual death day. To die and the afterlife is not something I like to celebrate. Sure, we honor people on their funeral, but it is more important to do it while they are still alive. I took a rock and threw it through the hole. I didn't know how long I've been there, in the spot in front of the hole. Since breakfast I presume. I was hopeful at first, then worried and now angry. “Why can't you bloody hell open?”

I stood up and cried in fury. In the beginning I wasn't worried about going home. I never thought I would be here for more than a day or two. But now it has been two weeks. Two weeks without Parker's honesty, Tricia's encouragement and Rose's shrill voice. Two weeks without even touching a bow or even be near one. Two weeks without grandmothers voice in the morning, how she always cheered me and made the best pancakes in the world. God, I missed them. I would never, ever take them for granted again. I started to cry. Like, really cry my heart out. I've never been a person who easily gets homesick, but then again, at those times I knew that I was going home. Now, I have no clue. I'm stuck here in this god-awful place where they don't even have ice cream. I laid my head between my knees and sobbed. “Hello?” I heard the footsteps before the voice. Quickly I turned around and saw Tom parry between the trees. Behind a horse was tied with a rope and chewed on the grass. Tom saw my face and wrinkled his eyebrows. “You're crying”

I dried my eyes with my sleeve and turned my head away from him. “It's okay. Just a moment of weakness” He nodded, but didn't walk away. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to seem rushed and dumb. “Are you sure you are fine?” Tom crouched next to me. “Here” He reached me a handkerchief from his pocket. I stared at it. “If you want to keep wipe with your sleeve, it's fine. I thought you wanted something easier disposable” He said and looked offended. I shook my head. “No, I just thought it was strange that you are even carrying one” He laughed at me and smiled. “You never know when there's a woman in need of one” I took it and thanked him. He still didn't walk away. This got me nervous. Why didn't he leave? No man ever wanted to stay by my side willingly. Tom sat down on the spot beside me. “You're Alice, right?” I nodded. “And you're Tom” “Why were you crying?” I gasped at his sudden question. “I don't want to seem rude, but since we've introduced each other a second time I thought I could ask”

My tongue wanted to slip a cheeky answer and insult him in every way it could, but then again he only wanted to be nice. And he was honest. “I was a bit homesick, this place calms me a bit” I shrugged and tugged at my feet. “You're not from anywhere near here, are you?”

I shook my head. I didn't feel nervous around him anymore, which was a new feeling for me. “Would you mind telling me what you're home is called?”

I thought about his question. Did I dare tell him the truth? That I actually came from the hole, only a few feet from us, where a glowing light spit me out? I remembered Phee's warning and decided not to tell. “It's complicated” “Your family knows you're here?” I nodded once more. We kept silent for a while. Suddenly Tom rose to his feet and reached for my hand. I looked at him curiously. “No need to keep crying and I need to get the horse back. Will you join me?”

I grabbed his hand and for once didn't look back.

* * *

“Will you tell me the story about Robin Hood again?” Phee asked me one night and looked at me with pleadingly eyes. I made the mistake to even mention them once when both me and Phee were bored. It was evening and Phee's mother were clearing the table of our dinner. I was amazed how she didn't even complain about my long visit. Surely I would take up some space and food. I took a place before the fire and Phee joined me. “It was another time and took place in a land called England. King Richard was away in war and had been away in the holy land for almost a decade”

When I first told Phee about Christians and Muslims she had given me a curious look that meant 'please, explain'. As what I've been told there where no similar religions or beliefs in Tahol so this was clearly new to her. “King Richard's brother, prince John, was currently on the thrown and ruled with great power and made the people miserable. But there was one man with the bravery to stand up against the prince – he was called Robin Hood” “And shot with bow and arrow!” Phee shout out and simulated archery in the air. I shook my head and smiled at her. She showed the same enthusiasm as I had when my father first told me the stories. “Don't forget Lady Marion” I explained. Phee sighed. “How I wish I could experience anything like it”

“You're still young. There will be time” I said and comforted her.

“Oh no, there's not a chance that a romance between two people of different standards like Robin and Marion. It is as impossible as a woman wanting to do a man's work”

I thought about her answer. “You can't do anything what a woman should do then?”

“No, we do what we are born to do. Cook, feed and have lots of children”

“Hush, Phee. You may not say those things” Her mother gave Phee a slap on her bottom. “You should be happy to even eat three meals a day. And we're going to the market to sell tomorrow”

I watched at her mothers sudden outburst. Phee sighed once more and did not seem content with the situation. Her ideas about change was not something bad and I wanted to encourage her, but not in front of her mother.

“You are coming with me tomorrow?” Phee asked me with pleading eyes and I couldn't do anything but nod. To leave the area to see something new was what I needed at the moment. And I needed a break from Tom. He had been watching me whenever I was near him and it made me uncomfortable. I was not used to this kind of attention and wasn't sure what his intentions was. Yes, a break from this place was what I needed and as I was not going home yet I would follow Phee. “I would love to”

* * *

“Fresh bread! Fresh bread you can buy here!” “Fresh fish! Right from the sea!”

There were voices everywhere and there were not much space to move around with all the market stalls placed near each other. Phee hurried before me and I tried my best to catch up. We woke up when the sun was risen and took the carriage to the village. Tom was left behind to take care of the animals. With the speed of one horse it took us a little more than an hour to get there. As soon as we got everything settled at our stand the customers rushed forward to get the freshest food. They usually sell cheese and butter. Sometimes Phee's mother have made fabric and other clothing. Once a week they go the village to sell most of what they make during the week. I'm fascinated at their speed on how fast they can make so much of it. When they have sold enough Phee's mother buy home other food and things she doesn't make by herself. Which is why I'm running after Phee as fast as I can. She told me about a puppet show that a group of people usually tend to perform at the town square for the children. The show is free to watch but they tend to sell some puppets after. “Never before have I been able to buy one, but now I've been saving all of this money” Phee said and smiled at me. She shook her purse that she had tied to her waist. She stopped to where the puppets were and gazed at them with big eyes. There were nothing ordinary about the puppets. At home I could easily buy one for about two pounds. But two pounds here is a fortune, my brain told me. Be glad for her. I turned to smile at her, but something caught my eye. It was a shop. Not like the other market stalls, but some kind of a blacksmith's workshop. My feet started to move towards it. Once I got inside my eyes widened at the amount of weapons lying around. An older man, looked about fifty perhaps, stood by the fire and held a sword. He turned around and looked at me. “Can I help you, my lady?” I felt like I shouldn't be here. “No, I'm just admiring your work”

I wandered around the shop and stopped to look at every sword, axe, hammer and so on. He really did make all kinds of things made of metal. An armour hanged on a hook on the wall. It was covered in dust. I went forward to it and took a good look from the top to bottom. I wiped away the dust and saw my eyes in the reflection. And something else. My mouth went wide and quickly I turned around went forward to my goal. In the farest corner stood five, beautiful bows. I lifted one of them and hold it in my hand. The familiar feeling rushed through me and for a moment I thought I was on drugs. Oh, how long it has been since I been holding one. “Is it for the husband, my lady?”

I turned around, the bow still in my hand, and looked at the blacksmith. “I thought you've only made things out of metal?” My mouth asked before my brain had a chance to react. The man smiled at me, understanding my confusion. “It is my brother who made the bows, my lady. I am just selling them”

I squeezed the bow tighter. “How much?” I didn't know why I asked. It's not like I'm ever going to afford it. I don't have any money. “Ten silver coins, my lady” My gaze fell down to the bow. A very fine bow if I must say. Even better than the one I got at home.

“Alice, where are you?” I heard Phee's voice and soon saw walking to the shop. Once she got in she saw what my hands was holding. “Why are you holding a bow?” “At home I practice archery”

My answer came too quick and my eyes started to get red. I held my breath for a while to calm me down. “Isn't it a man sport?” Phee asked me and looked curious. I laughed at her and shook my head. “So I've been told” “Well then, come on! Mother's waiting for us” She took my hand and we ran back to the carriage. I noticed that there were no doll in Phee's arms. “Where's the puppet?” I asked her. The carriage bumped along the dirt road. “Oh, I didn't buy it” “Why?” “When I turned around you were gone. I couldn't buy it without you, you know” I felt ashamed at my sudden disappearance. Phee noticed it. “Don't worry, they will be there next week” She gave me a reassurance smile and I smiled back at her.

* * *

When I woke up the day after I couldn't find Phee or even Tom. Her mother later told me that they had an errand in the village and would be back til midday. So instead I spent the day doing all of Phee's chores and when midday arrived I was aching all over my body. I was carrying a basket of eggs when I saw the carriage down the road. As soon as Phee had jumped out of it I hurried to place to basket on the ground and ran as fast as I could towards her. I gave her huge hug and didn't let go in the first place. “Don't ever leave me like that again. I didn't know how to do half of your chores” Tom gave me a laugh and I let go of Phee. That was when I noticed the big package Tom was carrying. “Is it the puppet? No, it's too big for that” I wondered out loud. Phee gave me a mysterious smile until she exclaimed “It's for you!”

I gave her a puzzled look and switched my gaze between them. Faster then I could blink I tore off the paper and gaped in chock. “It's a bow” I whispered. I took it my hand, not sure if I could believe it or not. It was not the one I've been looking at yesterday but a similar, with age scraped into its wood. “But... but what about your puppet? Surely you can't have...” I couldn't think straight. Phee kept smiling at me and enjoying my confusion. “The joy on your face right now is better than any puppet in the world. When you can't get home, I will bring home for you” She gestured at the bow and I couldn't be more thankful to her than... like ever. “But how could you even afford it?” “I asked the blacksmith for what kind of bow I could get for five coins and he gave me this” She said. “Of course arrows did come along” Phee climbed into the carriage and took out the arrows that were wrapped in a veil. “Oh, Phee...” I wanted to cry. I literally wanted to cry my eyes out. She gave up her puppet for a bow. A bow that would make me feel better about being stuck here. I knew she had been saving for that puppet for almost a year and now she would surely have wait another year.

“But you must teach me how to use one” Phee said and I looked at her. “So we both can be Robin Hood” She explained and I laughed. Tom gazed on both of us and seemed confused. “Who is Robin Hood?” He asked. I smiled my biggest smile I could possibly do.

“You really have to hear the story” Phee said excited and started to tell the story to an attentive Tom while he led the horse back to the stable. I held my bow tighter and a single tear fell on my cheek. Home isn't so far away, it seems.

****************************************

Pleeeaaaseee comment :) I really want to know what you think (Those few who actually click to read). Fan or vote if you want to, but I care most about your opinions! Well, voting is kind of an opinion... a positive one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 531 59
The Trials are not over. The true Trials have only just begun. Aurora survived phase one of the King Trials. She emerged alive but scathed, new tests...
68.7K 2.9K 27
Elves are immortal, except death by battle or poison. Yet, despite that fact, Starlyn’s mother is dying, and nobody knows why. Starlyn loves her moth...
65.2K 5.5K 47
'Magic Wielder Aire, finds herself at the heart of a rebellion she has always tried to avoid, to dismantle the brutal Empire that hunts her people.' ...
1.3K 201 29
What if you had the ability to write? What if you couldn't control the story you created? And what if, the magic kingdom your hands are so keen on wr...