Sheffield

By kssherwin

Miss Benning is very rich but very unconventional and so is shunned by London society. Mr. Donal is about to... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
Chapter Three
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

35 2 0
By kssherwin

A winter storm was blowing in fast. Miss Benning was at the stable yard assisting Donal in securing the livestock. Miss Brandon, a housemaid, burst through the stable door and ran to Miss Benning crying out to her, "Oh! Ma'am a lady has arrived. A lady from Town. She says she knows you and begs to speak with you directly." Miss Benning nodded, "Order some tea and tell our guest I will be with her as soon as the stock is secure." Mrs. Brandon shook her head, "No Ma'am, the lady says the matter is of great urgency and she must speak with you immediately." Miss Benning's brows drew up. A young stable hand dropped his fork and relieved Miss Benning of the horse she was holding. Miss Benning nodded and thanked the boy, "Tell Donal I have had to return to the house."

The small form stood close to the warmth of the hearth in the drawing room. "Mrs. Cavinet?" queried Miss Benning as she entered the room. The lady turned and flashed Miss Benning a bright smile, "A most lovely home Miss Benning, most lovely indeed." The tea arrived as the ladies sat. Miss Brandon poured both women a cup and took her leave of the room. "I was told there was some urgency to our conversation." Mrs. Cavinet sipped and lowered her cup, "I have come direct from Town in the hopes that you may divine the nature of the information I hold. Though I have endeavored upon a course which, should it bear fruit, shall divest me of certain proclivities I have come to learn may have negative consequences upon the personages of others, I am still in such circles to which these proclivities are traded en masse." Miss Benning nodded, "I am certain you are."

"In such circumstance I have come to learn that a rather intriguing young woman, with golden hair, has lately announced her engagement. This announcement, though greatly admired by most, has not been welcome in a certain small circle of which we both were acquaint. I was further informed, in full confidence of course, that this particular lady shall be married most expediently and the man, I am told, though rich is rather on the dull side."

"As intriguing as this news is, I fail to see its urgency," said Miss Benning. Mrs. Cavinet set her cup on the table, "A certain gentleman, it would seem, has taken great exception to the marriage. I was told, through a servant, the lady carries his child. This particular gentleman is married, his wife residing in the country." Miss Benning stood and strode to the hearth, "Continue Mrs. Cavinet." "The servant further disclosed that said gentleman was greatly distressed and had taken to the bottle. Only last eve he quit his home in Town and it is said he travels to his wife." Miss Benning felt a cold chill course through her spine. "Mr. Grant is in Town is he not Miss Benning?" Miss Benning whipped her head around and stared wide-eyed at the seated woman for several moments before moving quickly towards the door, "I will have Jacque settle you at Sheffield, I must leave for Gainsley immediately." Mrs. Cavinet sprang from her seat, "Pa! my carriage still waits, I shall join you."

~

The two women were shown into the drawing room of Gainsley Hall. Miss Benning felt her skin grow cold as she saw Charles Whitehouse leaning against the hearth. He turned at their steps and scowled in recognition. "The shrew and her pup," said he as he took a draught from his whiskey glass. Keeping a settee between herself and Mr. Whitehouse, Mrs. Cavinet moved to a chair at the far side of the room and sat. Miss Benning crossed to the liquor cabinet and poured a glass of brandy ignoring the man. She took a large swallow and turned her eyes to him. They took the other's measure for several minutes before he spoke once more, "Why have you come?" Miss Benning smiled sweetly, "I was giving Mrs. Cavinet a tour of the country when the storm blew in. It was not safe to make Sheffield and, since I am always welcome at Gainsley, we have sought shelter here."

Mr. Whitehouse laughed dryly. "Mrs. Cavinet," he raised his glass to her and drank fully, "my good friend Mrs. Snodgrass is quite ill in the knowledge you have quit your profession of informant to the Ton." Mrs. Cavinet stared down at her hands and even at the distance, Miss Benning could see they were shaking. The door creaked open and the butler entered with a tray of tea and cakes which he sat on the table beside Mrs. Cavinet. The tea sat undisturbed as the room's occupants kept their own company.

Mr. Whitehouse crossed the room, Miss Benning stiffened as he approached causing the corner of his mouth to lift. She took a step away from him as he reached for the whiskey decanter and refilled his glass. He took a filling drink as Miss Benning crossed the room to the window. "It is a pity that you are so handsome Miss Benning." Both women looked towards Mr. Whitehouse at his statement. "Such beauty should never be wasted on such poor character." "And you are such a good judge of my character Mr. Whitehouse?" "Any woman who can so thoroughly rid herself of not one but two men of respect in, what was it, less than five years can be of no good character." Charles walked slowly back to the hearth observing Miss Benning for reaction but she kept her face blank. "You bait me Mr. Whitehouse but I am in no mood for games." Charles laughed, "Is the truth now a game? Mrs. Cavinet could easily stand as herald to all of your misdeeds Miss Benning, shall we ask her?" Mrs. Cavinet blushed brightly and busied herself finally in taking a cup of tea. "Only if she shall also take account of yours Mr. Whitehouse," said Miss Benning as she drew the brandy glass to her lips.

"You did quite a good job with my cousin Miss Benning. I do believe you almost had him in love but mayhap I give you too much credit as Donal was but an Irishman, prone to ignorance and a weak countenance." Miss Benning felt her lip twitch and forced her face into blankness. Charles beamed seeing the small movement and knew he had found his mark. "Did you have feelings for him as well?" Her countenance betrayed nothing but Charles persisted, "I believe you did. How very unfortunate that the shrew finally developed the same feelings she destroyed in others only to be thwarted by such an inconsequential man." He laughed, stared into the fire and took a long swallow. "Donal proved to be a worthless adversary, did he not Miss Benning?" "I confess I do not follow," exclaimed Miss Benning.

"Oh but I think you do." Miss Benning took a drink to cover her irritation, "You pay me too much credit Mr. Whitehouse." His brow rose, "Do I? Well allow me to explain then." Miss Benning bowed her head to him without removing her eyes from his and he continued, "My Father brought my cousin to Town calculating on the diversion to keep the man from taking a wife before he was five and twenty." Charles paused and laughed to himself, "The old fox nearly lost that calculation. It would have been a first." He looked back into the fire and seemed to lose himself. "I still do not follow," said Miss Benning. Charles sighed, "My Father desired the return of our family's Irish estate and he would have it when Donal attained the age of five and twenty so long as he was without a wife."

Clarity washed over Miss Benning, "And so you pushed him towards me?" Charles' laughter stung at her like nettles, "I cannot take credit for that. No, it was actually Snodgrass who threw Donal in your path but, I dare say, I encouraged the challenge. What better way to keep the man unwed than entangle him with the one woman no sane man would wed. It worked, did it not Miss Benning?" She closed her mouth and cleared her throat to temper her tone, "I am not wed so I dare say it worked." "I envy you that Miss Benning 'tis such a burden to be married, you are quite fortunate in that regard as you have no pressing engagements to address, no suitors to disappoint or choose between. No expectations upon you at all." "Is that so Mr. Whitehouse?" He stared at her cold countenance for a moment, "I do digress."

After wetting his throat he picked up the story, "My Father did not account for Miss Burke, however, and her most able champion." He looked over at Mrs. Cavinet and raised his glass. "That was a matter of great delicacy at first until my connection with the woman was known and my help enlisted to learn of the true nature of Miss Burke's relation with Donal. As it were, Miss Burke was simply another player in the game. A savvy player, but one who was easily maneuvered." "An introduction to a Viscount?" queried Miss Benning. Charles smiled and nodded, "Indeed. Then there was my lovely wife who played her hand brilliantly albeit rather late in the game." Miss Benning bristled, "You encouraged Janet to throw me off?" Charles sneered, "I did not have to, she was completely taken in with Miss Burke's kindness, and you know what a bleeding heart the woman is. Miss Burke needed but tell Janet of her heartbreak and Janet leapt to her cause."

The room fell silent again. Miss Benning made her way to sit near Mrs. Cavinet and Mr. Whitehouse refilled his glass. Charles swirled the contents of the glass, "I quite pity the man actually." Draining the contents he reached again for the decanter, "I should have greatly appreciated being in attendance when he graveled at Miss Burke's feet. I am told his expression upon learning of her attachment to Snodgrass was most entertaining but mayhap we should defer to Mrs. Cavinet for the particulars as she was in attendance." Mrs. Cavinet met the cold stare of Miss Benning for a breath before dropping her eyes once again to her hands, the tea cup chattering softly between her fingers. Charles laughed, "It seems Mrs. Cavinet is at a loss for words, how capital, I am sure we witness history Miss Benning. The first occasion the blow hard has quit quacking since God cursed her with the power of speech."

"Mr. Whitehouse that is quite enough. It is a vulgar person who is cruel only for cruelty's sake," cried Miss Benning. Charles strode heavily across the room, clamped his hand around the back of Miss Benning's chair and bent over her, "A trait with which you are well acquaint." Miss Benning felt her throat tighten as the warmth of his breath crossed her neck. She turned her head away as he laughed. Pushing himself upright he returned to the hearth, leaning weightily against the mantle.

"He begged my Father, begged him on hands and knees, like the coward he is. Truly Miss Benning I believe you have been saved the indignity of marriage to a simpleton." "And you would not do the same Mr. Whitehouse, if it was your own home?" demanded Miss Benning. Miss Benning was becoming anxious as she found Charles' face hard to read, the alcohol overcoming him, "Oh! but it was my home Miss Benning, that being the point. Donal was but a trespasser." "How can you be so callous to your own blood?" cried Miss Benning. Charles peered at her and bellowed out a laugh. Miss Benning gazed at Mrs. Cavinet as Charles continued. The older woman was pale and Miss Benning saw sweat beading at her throat. Miss Benning offered the woman a flat smile being the only comfort she could provide in that moment.

"Oh!" Both women jumped at his cry, "Miss Benning you still love the man. Capital! Know that I take full satisfaction in informing you that the man himself is wed and not only so but a father as well." Time itself stood still, the room melted away as Miss Benning felt his words rip at her soul. Dragging all feeling deep into the caverns of her mind she turned flat eyes to him, "Then I offer him my felicitations. You err in your judgment of me Mr. Whitehouse. I feel naught but what a genteel lady should for another whom has been used ill and it seems as Mr. Donal was exceedingly used thusly." Charles examined her features, her tone but could find nothing in her that belayed the reaction he had aspired to gain from his revelation. Mrs. Cavinet gave her thanks to God as the conversation came to an abrupt close with the announcement of dinner.

~

Miss Benning stared out of the window of her room musing over Janet's conduct during dinner. The woman rarely spoke, kept her eyes fixed to her plate and visibly recoiled when addressed by her husband. Had Mrs. Cavinet not sought her out what would have been the result of this night's activities at Gainsley? Charles was climbing into the bottom of his bottle with as much expediency as he could muster and with every glass his disposition darkened. She had never known Charles to be a cruel man. She had only known him to have a carefree and gay temper, a bit trifling perhaps but not severe. Charles had, with forethought and intention, treated her with such unkindness as left no question of his desire that she be pained.

An image came to her, Ewan standing before her, eyes frozen. He had told her she was mad at the world and wished to inflict pain on others to ease her own feelings. He said she wanted to destroy happiness. Her body collapsed upon the window ledge and she drew her legs onto the sill, wrapping herself around her body. He had not been right in his judgment of her but she felt this judgment might well suit Mr. Whitehouse.

Her attempt at examining this observation was completely thwarted by a set of green eyes that looked at her from memory, a large warm hand caressing her head, a deep voice cascading over words like a stream over rocks. An involuntary gasp left her as she felt her heart sink and she grabbed at her chest as pain flooded through her. He was a father, a husband. Time passed and she focused on the reflection she viewed in the window. The lady had a puffy face, red eyes and water streaked cheeks. Her fingers pressed against the cool glass pane over the reflection's eyes, "Never again," she whispered to it then gathered a cloak of desolation around her and found her bed.

Miss Benning was jolted from sleep. She lay quiet in the darkness for several minutes listening. A muffled scream penetrated the walls of her room. Springing from her bed Miss Benning clawed her robe from the wardrobe and flew from her room. The hallway was black. Below she thought she heard movement but saw nothing. As she drew near the stairs she saw a faint glow from the door of Janet's room. A closer cry had Miss Benning gripping the railing for support from the sudden shock. She was certain it came that time from Janet's room. Letting go the rail she pushed herself towards the door, took a deep breath and forced it open.

Miss Benning stood frozen as she completely processed the scene, then another cry from Janet was ripped by a pop on the cheek by Charles. Miss Benning was in motion, grabbing at the first moveable object and hoisting it above her head as she approached the bed. The book came crashing down across Charles' back. A dulled cry escaped him as he fell against the body of his wife. The book came crashing down again, this time a blow to the head and Charles' body listed to the right like a great ship taking on water. Janet's eyes were enormous, swollen and filled with tears as she stared up at Miss Benning, book over head. The book crashed down a third time and Charles' body went slack. Dropping the book Miss Benning shoved at the man's body until Janet was all but freed then tugged at the woman as she fought to remove herself from the bed frame.

Grabbing a dressing robe Miss Benning draped it around the naked body of her friend, "Go to my room and bolt the door." Janet did not move. The mass of naked man lurched and made a gurgling noise. The woman looked for an instant at the form then moved quickly past Miss Benning and out of the room. Miss Benning was turning to follow when she felt a tug on her skirt. Looking back she saw Charles, monstrous rage in his eyes, gripping onto her. She moved violently in an effort to dislodge her clothing but succeeded only in being pulled backwards towards the enraged man. A short cry left her as she felt herself tumble onto the bed.

He had her pinned beneath him before she formed an appropriate objection to his man-handling of her person. She brought her arms up and pressed them between herself and his chest. He leaned his weight down on her, his face but inches from her own, she turned her head from him. "You dare interfere in the bedchamber of my own residence," he growled down at her. Her eyes darted to his, "This will never be your home." A sinister sneer spread over his face as he leaned back, grabbed her arms and spread them to her side. He leaned down again and laid his mouth on her chest kissing her softly. She closed her eyes tightly to prevent the tears she felt welling up to spread across her cheek. "You smell grand Miss Benning like a flower ripe to pick." He pressed his hips into her as he rose again and looked down on her, "You have denied me my wife, shall I take you in her stead." Miss Benning's eyes flew open and found his filled with heated avarice. She threw up her knee with as much violence as she could imbue upon it. He winced, paused and fell from her. Throwing herself off the bed she cried out as her knee struck the wooden floor.

She had just raised herself and found herself falling again from the impact of something to the back of her head. When she righted herself once more the room was empty. Gingerly she made her way to the door. Peering down the hall she could make out a large silhouette pounding at a door. Her head was throbbing. She leaned against the frame of the door as another opened. Mrs. Cavinet ventured from her room and started fully at the vision of a very naked Mr. Whitehouse hammering against a bedroom door. She called out to him in a tiny voice, "Mr. Whitehouse Sir, is there some way in which I may assist you?" The hammering stalled as his head came to rest momentarily against the door.

Charles looked side-long at the frightened figure of Mrs. Cavinet and found his answer, "As you like Mrs. Whitehouse, I shall quit Gainsley this very evening and take my child with me." He pushed from the door, threw Mrs. Cavinet from his path and stalked down the hall towards the nursery as the door flew open and Janet ran after her husband.

Miss Benning found the nursery in chaos. Janet was clinging to Charles' leg, Mrs. Cavinet lay sprawled across the floor and a distraught maid cried viciously as she clung to the child while backing herself into the corner. Charles reached down in an attempt to pry his wife from his leg and exclaimed, "She is my property and I claim her now, let me go you bloody witch." Janet cried up at him and dug in with her nails. Charles cocked back an arm and loosed it against Janet's cheek. The woman fell away as Miss Benning stepped up and cocked the hunting rifle, "Do you know that sound Mr. Whitehouse?" The room was suddenly still and, but for the crying of the maid and babe in the corner, deathly quiet.

The alcohol still coursing strongly through his veins Charles turned and met the woman's calm eyes, the barrel of the rifle pointed at his head. "And you would shoot me Ace, kill me?" "I could find no greater happiness at this moment Charles." He could find no weakness in her and changed his tactic, "Aye and so you may be just but if the act would be no crime would not inflicting upon my wife, my child the viewing of such be unsupportable?" There had never before been such a smile to cross Miss Benning's face, "You make such argument upon sympathies for which you so recently claim I had not in my possession?" She gloried in watching the blood rush from his face and continued, "I do believe your wife and child would recover properly from the fright and, as you reminded me only this evening over dinner, I have no family, seeing as how my remaining relation, the invalid, has passed," she shrugged, "I have absolutely nothing to lose in the killing of you Mr. Whitehouse."

Charles' eyes went to the door as the butler appeared, a relieved sigh escaping him through a half-smile. "It seems, Miss Benning, you shall fail in your endeavor." He looked over at the butler again and cried out, "Come man and remove this woman from Gainsley at once." The butler made no move and Charles looked back to Miss Benning her brow cocked in amusement, "And you believed a soul at Gainsley would take an order from you with its heir bloodied on the floor and its master's goddaughter holding a gun to your head? Tsk, Tsk Mr. Whitehouse," she shook her head slowly and reveled again in the fright which coursed over him. "But, I shall deal Mr. Whitehouse, the devil does, does he not? Three services you shall perform for me, three small acts to save your life. What say you?" Charles' voice left his throat dry and hoarse, "What acts?" Miss Benning could not catch the dry laugh which escaped her, "Is there an act you would not perform for your life Mr. Whitehouse?" Charles squared his shoulders and lifted his chin, "Very well Miss Benning I am your servant ma'am." "So you are Mr. Whitehouse. Firstly, lower yourself to your hands and knees. Secondly, beg me for your life and, thirdly quit Gainsley this very night." Charles snorted, "Begging?" Miss Benning smiled in satisfaction, "I have heard it suits cowards well."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 3.7K 61
"Pride and Prejudice is an 1813 romantic novel of manners written by Jane Austen. The novel follows the character development of Elizabeth Bennet, th...
38.1K 1.2K 32
When Fitzwilliam Darcy travels to Hertfordshire with his friend, the last person he expects to see is Elizabeth Bennet, the young woman who broke his...
4.7K 141 35
Catherine Shaw, 26, lives in the countryside of England. She has been living with her aunt after the death of her parents. William Benwick, 28, moved...
162K 4K 13
I have just finished reading Pride and Prejudice for the 100th time, and I really wanted to see how Elizabeth and Darcy handle their married life, s...