CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

A winter storm was blowing in fast. Miss Benning was at the stable yard assisting Donal in securing the livestock. Miss Brandon, a housemaid, burst through the stable door and ran to Miss Benning crying out to her, "Oh! Ma'am a lady has arrived. A lady from Town. She says she knows you and begs to speak with you directly." Miss Benning nodded, "Order some tea and tell our guest I will be with her as soon as the stock is secure." Mrs. Brandon shook her head, "No Ma'am, the lady says the matter is of great urgency and she must speak with you immediately." Miss Benning's brows drew up. A young stable hand dropped his fork and relieved Miss Benning of the horse she was holding. Miss Benning nodded and thanked the boy, "Tell Donal I have had to return to the house."

The small form stood close to the warmth of the hearth in the drawing room. "Mrs. Cavinet?" queried Miss Benning as she entered the room. The lady turned and flashed Miss Benning a bright smile, "A most lovely home Miss Benning, most lovely indeed." The tea arrived as the ladies sat. Miss Brandon poured both women a cup and took her leave of the room. "I was told there was some urgency to our conversation." Mrs. Cavinet sipped and lowered her cup, "I have come direct from Town in the hopes that you may divine the nature of the information I hold. Though I have endeavored upon a course which, should it bear fruit, shall divest me of certain proclivities I have come to learn may have negative consequences upon the personages of others, I am still in such circles to which these proclivities are traded en masse." Miss Benning nodded, "I am certain you are."

"In such circumstance I have come to learn that a rather intriguing young woman, with golden hair, has lately announced her engagement. This announcement, though greatly admired by most, has not been welcome in a certain small circle of which we both were acquaint. I was further informed, in full confidence of course, that this particular lady shall be married most expediently and the man, I am told, though rich is rather on the dull side."

"As intriguing as this news is, I fail to see its urgency," said Miss Benning. Mrs. Cavinet set her cup on the table, "A certain gentleman, it would seem, has taken great exception to the marriage. I was told, through a servant, the lady carries his child. This particular gentleman is married, his wife residing in the country." Miss Benning stood and strode to the hearth, "Continue Mrs. Cavinet." "The servant further disclosed that said gentleman was greatly distressed and had taken to the bottle. Only last eve he quit his home in Town and it is said he travels to his wife." Miss Benning felt a cold chill course through her spine. "Mr. Grant is in Town is he not Miss Benning?" Miss Benning whipped her head around and stared wide-eyed at the seated woman for several moments before moving quickly towards the door, "I will have Jacque settle you at Sheffield, I must leave for Gainsley immediately." Mrs. Cavinet sprang from her seat, "Pa! my carriage still waits, I shall join you."

~

The two women were shown into the drawing room of Gainsley Hall. Miss Benning felt her skin grow cold as she saw Charles Whitehouse leaning against the hearth. He turned at their steps and scowled in recognition. "The shrew and her pup," said he as he took a draught from his whiskey glass. Keeping a settee between herself and Mr. Whitehouse, Mrs. Cavinet moved to a chair at the far side of the room and sat. Miss Benning crossed to the liquor cabinet and poured a glass of brandy ignoring the man. She took a large swallow and turned her eyes to him. They took the other's measure for several minutes before he spoke once more, "Why have you come?" Miss Benning smiled sweetly, "I was giving Mrs. Cavinet a tour of the country when the storm blew in. It was not safe to make Sheffield and, since I am always welcome at Gainsley, we have sought shelter here."

Mr. Whitehouse laughed dryly. "Mrs. Cavinet," he raised his glass to her and drank fully, "my good friend Mrs. Snodgrass is quite ill in the knowledge you have quit your profession of informant to the Ton." Mrs. Cavinet stared down at her hands and even at the distance, Miss Benning could see they were shaking. The door creaked open and the butler entered with a tray of tea and cakes which he sat on the table beside Mrs. Cavinet. The tea sat undisturbed as the room's occupants kept their own company.