CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

St. Leger's had finally arrived. Ewan knew his horse's time had come. Artemis had run close in the Guineas, nearly won the Derby and today was it. Today the horse would solidify this name in the ranks of Thoroughbred racing. He whistled to himself as he crossed the track to the lawn to find his owner. McDonald was, of course, near the buffet and in the jolliest of spirits. "Here is the lad now." McDonald threw his arm about Ewan's shoulders and jostled him, "Donal I was just telling the good Mr. Blaird about the fine work you have done for my stable." He dropped Ewan's shoulders to take up his whiskey glass as the other man spoke, "Mr. Donal it is a pleasure. I had the privilege of attending the Guineas. Your horses made a good show that meet but I was told they fared even better at the Derby." Ewan nodded, "Aye so they did. If you will excuse me, I must find my rider." Ewan bowed and quickly took his leave as the last conversation he wanted was one which involved McDonald and his assumed knowledge of horses.

Ewan finally located Sullivan seated at a table, his wife and child beside him as he ate. The couple acknowledged him as he sat, "How can you eat man?" Sullivan smiled, "How can I not? Have you tried the brisket?" The smell of food alone turned Ewan's stomach and he waved the question away. "I will need you in the shedrow in a half hour," said he as he stood and took his leave. "Still got a weak stomach have you Sir?" "Aye and it feels as though it has been dancing a jig all night at the moment Sully." Sullivan laughed, "Right, shedrow in half."

Ewan glanced around the crowd but he could not find her. He had scanned the entries that morning and although he saw none from Sheffield he had hoped to be wrong. He turned to make his way back to the shedrow when a voice stopped him cold. Turning he breathed a small sigh of relief as he saw Reginald and not Charles Whitehouse standing before him. He was about to extend a hand towards the man when Reginald took him in his arms and clapped him thoroughly across the back, "Good to see you cousin, it has been far too long." Ewan stepped out of the man's hold, "Has it?" Reginald had a broad and sincere smile across his face, "Aye man I have sorely missed your company though I hear you have done well in Scotland." Ewan nodded as a thought occurred to him.

"Have you seen Miss Benning at the meet?" "Miss Benning? You still have a death wish do you," exclaimed Reginald with a laugh, "No I do not believe she is here. Charles and the Viscount are though, will you not come and speak with them?" Ewan shook his head, "I really must get back to the shedrow." Reginald's brows rose, "Right, a proper trainer now, cannot take time for a drink even with family." Ewan muffled most of his snort and was about to turn away when he recalled something he had heard, "Oh! Whitehouse, is it true that Mrs. Whitehouse now has a child." Reginald nodded, "Tis true. I heard it is a handsome and healthy babe." "You have not seen it?" "No, Mrs. Whitehouse took her lying in at Gainsley and has not returned. I fear Charles has taken an aversion to the country and so I have had no reason to yet meet my niece." Ewan bade Reginald to deliver his congratulations to Charles and took his leave.

For the next quarter hour Ewan contemplated what sort of purpose Mrs. Whitehouse would have to take her lying-in in Gainsley and beyond that, why did she still remain. Ewan thought of Miss Benning and what discomfort Mrs. Whitehouse's presence must be causing her. Then he remembered the venom in her accusation of him and tried to convince himself any discomfort was proper justice.

~

The meet was going exceedingly well. He had won two races thus far for McDonald, had barely lost two coming in second in both, a fifth place and now it was Artemis' turn. He led the horse onto the field and marveled at his glowing coat, rippling muscles and alert attention. The horse was ready to win. He boosted Sullivan into the saddle, gave him a slap on the leg and sent him off then hurried back to the shedrow to climb the roof for a better view.

The race started in perfect symmetry. The horses leapt off the line at the sound of the shot and fell quickly into step. Artemis was right in the middle of the pack just where Ewan told Sullivan to put him. As Ewan watched the horses draw closer to the turn he began to feel off. The pack was still in a tight bunch. The two leaders were no more than a length ahead, then three horses ran together, five behind them and three brought up the rear. He realized they were trying to box someone in. Ewan squinted into the sun barely making out the colors of the horse running beside his own, Taglia, the favorite. Ewan cursed, Sullivan was going to have to change strategy or Artemis would be boxed in beside the favorite the remainder of the race.

At that moment a shift happened in the pack, it appeared Taglia's jockey was making a move to thwart the efforts of the horses who would box him in. Ewan saw a head bob, a horse move queerly and then a great rush and tangle as a mass of bodies collided. His heart stopped, time stopped and then both restarted in slow motion as the movements of the pack were now ruled by chaos and fear. Ewan was off the roof and onto the track before he had the conscious thought to run. He pulled up as he drew close, his eyes sweeping over the scene, carnage. Horses and men lay strewn some fifty yards down the track, riderless horses neighed and ran blindly if they could or hobbled desperately, on what legs functioned, if they could not. Men cried out in pain, walked aimlessly in shock or lay still.

Ewan walked slowly at the edge, his eyes absorbing the horrors of the scene while his brain willed his stomach not to deposit its contents onto the turf. He had to stop again. His eyes looked ahead towards the leading edge and came to rest on a horse, a horse with a glistening coat and bulging muscles. A strangled cry left him as he raced towards the mound. Nothing moved. He threw his body onto the ground by their side, both the horse's and his rider's eyes were lifeless. Ewan cried out as he took them in his arms and fell over them in wailing anguish.

~

She watched as he was lowered into the bosom of the earth, watched as he was covered and stared at the entirety of her family nestled beneath the bows of the great Oak which had seen more life and more death than Miss Benning could ever want. It had been her Mother's most precious place and when her Mother passed her Father, Miss Benning and her brother had buried her there. When her Father had passed Miss Benning and William buried him beside her Mother and now Miss Benning buried William beside them both. She felt the strength go out of her and lay on the ground, between her family, looking up through the fire-burnt autumn leaves of the great tree, she was hopelessly comforted by them.

It was near sundown when she found strength enough to draw herself off the earth and make her way towards the house. Donal appeared from the shadow of the forest, silently walked to her and took her arm for support. When they made the house she took neither attendance nor offered it to any who had gathered at Sheffield to pay their respects. She climbed the stairs in silence. She went to William's bedchamber in silence, climbed into his bed, inhaled his scent and cried into his pillow.