CHAPTER ELEVEN

It had been a week since Ewan had seen her. Upon entering the library he found her seated at the large writing desk in deep reflection. She was pale and he could see dark circles around her eyes. Her leg was propped to the side on a stool. She was wrapped in a shawl and dressing gown and her hair spilled down around her shoulders freely. The sun was framing her and even in this state of ill health he could not but be transfixed. "Do you need something Mr. Donal?" Her voice was flat and distracted. He flushed knowing that she was aware of his presence and thought briefly of taking his leave of the room immediately. Instead he found himself moving towards the table, "I did not know you were here. I came in search of a book but I shall take my leave." He had truly come seeking temporary solace from William. "Nonsense, your presence here will not bother me." Ewan crossed the room, absently took a book from the shelf and settled himself in a chair before the hearth. Both were silent for some time.

"How like you my colts Mr. Donal?" He looked up from the book he had not been reading and found her staring out the window. "Very much," said he. Miss Benning drew a deep breath, "You are good with them." He closed the book silently and observed her. From the library window one had a clear sight to the stable yard. She had been watching him. The thought drew a smile to his face. "I thank you my lady." Silence took up the room once more.

He opened his mouth to speak but she was more swift, "And the fillies? How like you them?" He sat up, took her in a long moment, mulling at the line of questioning then answered honestly, "As well." The corner of her mouth rose but she remained silent. "Miss Benning, if I may be so bold, you seem to have much on your mind." Ruby eyes were suddenly on him, "And have you been welcome at Sheffield Mr. Donal?" "Very welcome I thank you." Her eyes moved back to the window. "You must be anxious to return to London." "No my lady." "But I am certain you are missed." "I have written." The clock slowly chimed the hour and then the quarter hour.

Ewan decided to take his leave when at last she spoke again. "I have been contemplating the disadvantage of my sex Mr. Donal." The statement drew an unintended laugh from Ewan and her gaze. "Forgive me Miss Benning but I see no disadvantage." This drew her brow, "Truly? Did you not chastise over the same not seven nights past?" His humor subsided instantly, "It was not your sex I chastised but your reckless action." "And did my sex not make the difference in the manner of my action?" His jaw tightened. The weight of her eyes and his own conviction drew his gaze to the window. "Truthfulness is not a sin in this house Mr. Donal."

Surprised, he fixed his gaze back on hers, "Yes Miss Benning it did." He watched her delicate chin raise, a joyless smile cross her face. "Do you know, Mr. Donal, what a bushel of wheat brings in London?" She did not wait for his confusion to pass before she continued, "Ten shillings. Mr. Grant sells his wheat to a certain Mr. Bingham and receives ten shillings per bushel." Placing his arm on that of the chair's he leaned forward, "I am sure I do not follow." "You have seen both Gainsley and Sheffield have you not?" He nodded. "Both estates boast large fields, fertile land and are well tended." "That is all true Miss Benning," stated Ewan. "I sell my wheat to a certain Mr. Bingham in London as well Mr. Donal and yet I receive but five shillings per bushel."

Understanding flooded over him, he flushed in sudden shame for his sex and immediately took great interest in the stone floor. She made a soft impolite snort. "And so you see the point of my contemplation. Had God bestowed upon me one less piece here, one more there, I would receive ten shillings per bushel." Though she spoke without humor he smiled and drew his face back to hers. "And I thank him." The words spilled out without censure and he saw the look of surprise wash over her momentarily unguarded face. "Is there nothing to be done?" he quickly queried.