CHAPTER FOUR

He had not been in London two days before finding himself sitting in the park amongst his cousins, Miss Grant, Miss Burke, Miss Johnson, Edward, Mr. Wimbley, Mr. Smith and one Mrs. Cavinet. The day was full of sun and warmth but he struggled to find any contentedness in London and would have been sorely disappointed with the company had not Wimbley been in attendance. "So Donal you do not look overcome with joy to be once more in the bosom of London." He smiled over at Wimbley, "And you do not look a naval officer, clergyman nor yet a husband." Wimbley returned the smile, "I have not the time to go to Bath, Oxford nor Ireland and so you see me in this sad state of repose, destitute but for the charity of my Father." Charles latching onto one word of the conversation suddenly piped in with interest, "Destitute. Pray, who is destitute?" Mrs. Cavinet leaned into the circle to be closer to the conversation and the possibility of good gossip. "You, you cad if you do not stop gambling" said Edward who bounced a grape off Charles' forehead and the entire party broke into laughter. "I can see when my company is not appreciated." Charles pouted in mock offense, rose and stretched his hand down to Miss Grant. "Shall we take a turn?" Beaming up at him Janet took his hand, stood and they set off towards the lake.

Wimbley turned his attentions back to Ewan, "So, Charles told me you had the good fortune of visiting the Bennings while staying with Grant." Miss Burke who was seated on the other side of Ewan and overheard the comment, allowed a soft sing-song laugh to escape her. The two men turned towards her at the noise and she brought a hand to rest on the corner of Ewan's knee as she bent forward to be closer to Wimbley. "Good fortune Mr. Wimbley? I take it you are not acquaint with Miss Benning." There was a general roll of laughter and Wimbley looked quite puzzled. "I cannot say I am well acquainted with either Benning. I met them at last year's Derby." "Oh! Well Mr. Wimbley I think it unanimous when I advise you not to esteem Miss Benning's acquaintance further as you will surely be disappointed" said Miss Burke. Wimbley, completely perplexed, let his eyes drift around the circle trying to determine whether Miss Burke was serious or simply teased.

Before he could reply Miss Burke continued, "But shall we ask Mr. Donal. Was it good fortune to have visited the Benning estate?" Her words were like honey dripping slowly from a comb in the clutches of a voracious bear. Ewan decided to take the road of caution, "It was not wholly unpleasant. I find Mr. William Benning to be very amiable." Miss Burke straightened her back at this and removed her hand, "Well, I am not acquaint with the shrew's brother." "Best take care Donal or you'll find yourself the constant companion of an invalid" said Reginald merrily. The women took a collective gasp and Mrs. Cavinet, suddenly extremely interested, grabbed Reginald's arm and interjected, "Invalid? Oh! Capital, pray do tell." Wimbley rose from his seat disgusted with the turn of conversation and excused himself. His exit was hardly noted by the enraptured party. Ewan looked after him and almost followed except for a deep longing to know more about the Bennings.

"Well I must advise that I do not know all the particulars." The air of the onlookers soured a notch as Reginald continued, "But he does lack the use of his legs. And, I have been told, that he begins to lose the use of an arm." "Oh dear, well, that is not good gossip at all" pouted Mrs. Cavinet as she withdrew her arm from Reginald. Miss Burke turned her attention back to Ewan, "It seems, Mr. Donal, that you are expert on all things Benning. Tell us, does Reginald paint the brother rightly?" Her hand was back at his knee. "He does." Ewan stared into her pale blue eyes and saw them as they lit, "Not that I wish any ill towards a child, never, I am very maternal, being gently born." Her fingers tightened over the curve of his knee. "But, it seems as though the shrew received her just deserts." "Miss Burke," cried Mrs. Cavinet in shock. Miss Burke brushed a curl back from her shoulder, tilted her head towards Mrs. Cavinet to expose the bare flesh of her neck to Ewan and spoke, "Oh posh Mrs. Cavinet. You know the woman is positively evil. Do you know that Mrs. Culvert still has nightmares about the horrors she experienced in the Benning house?" Miss Johnson gasped in shock, her hand absently groping onto Reginald's sleeve. Taking notice she met his eyes and blushed brightly as he smiled down at her. "Oh! Miss Burke, that simply cannot be." Miss Burke hushed Mrs. Cavinet, "It is. I had tea with Mrs. Culvert Sunday past and she took me into her confidence and conversed with me regarding the horrors she experienced at the hands of Miss Benning." Miss Burke paused to look up at Ewan and was pleased that she had piqued his curiosity. "Being in her confidence of course, I cannot expound on particulars, other than to say it would not surprise me to know that Miss Benning had a part in her brother's demise." Another audible gasp from two women seated on the blanket and Miss Burke patted herself heartily on the back for a story well told.