Chapter Three

They had been at his cousin's country house but a week when a carriage deposited Miss Burke, Miss Johnson and Mrs. Cavinet at their front steps. "Donal this is capital, just capital, now the games will be afoot." Reginald grinned as he clapped Ewan's shoulder and ran out to greet the women. Ewan's own feelings were not quite so capital. Along with the ladies arrived two men to whom Ewan was not acquaint, a Mr. Wimbley and Mr. Smith. Charles handled the introductions and, after everyone was settled, the group decided to take a tour of the grounds. Mr. Wimbley fell in step with Ewan, "So Donal I am to understand you are from Ireland." Ewan nodded. "Where from?" " From County Kildare." Wimbley looked at him with interest, "I see. I have heard the land there is excellent for livestock." Ewan nodded and Wimbley continued, "I took a tour of Ireland last year. I found it to be magnificent in beauty and hospitality." Ewan was surprised at the warm accommodations, "Indeed it is sir." "Why then I wonder, would you choose to come here?" There was a teasing tone in Wimbley's voice and Ewan could not help but to smile at the man. "Well you see, I had little choice, my Uncle asked for my company and my Father gave it." Wimbley gave a small snort, "We are all prized pigs are we not? And they think it only of women." Ewan laughed and felt himself relax. "And what prize is to be for your pig?" Wimbley's face drew into a serious repose, "Marriage." Ewan looked over at the man and found him smiling slyly, "I suffer, my friend, from the great deprecation of being a second son. I should have wanted to find my fortune in the Navy but my Father said the sea would not suit me. Then I should beg leave to take my orders and find happiness in a steady living but my Father said I did not write nearly well enough for the clergy and so, according to my Father, I am suited for nothing but an adornment on the arm of a vastly rich woman." Wimbley laughed at himself. "Well, I can think of several worse professions" said Ewan teasingly. "Ah yes but they would not nearly be as challenging.  And, as my Father has concluded my best quality is vexing others, I am best suited to the profession of marriage." This made Ewan smile, he was growing increasingly fond of Mr. Wimbley's easy conversation and wit. "It sounds as though you do not quite agree with your Father." "Oh! Indeed I do. I have put much thought into the situation and have come to the same conclusion as my Father, however, that does not mean that I am well settled with the conclusion." Ewan's interest was clearly piqued, "Really? I am sure of all the ladies of gentle birth in the whole of England there must be one to whom you would not oppose being an adornment?" Cutting Ewan a sharp glance Wimbley responded, "Why do you think I toured Ireland?"

~

Ewan stood at the entrance of Mr. Grant's mansion, the man himself to his side, as the carriages disappeared down the lane. He, his cousins and their entourage had taken temporary residence with the Grants for the past five days with the excuse of providing Janet Grant diversion. The plan had worked. The women were thick as thieves and the men took pleasure in sport and in unabashed flirting. All of this nonsense Ewan could withstand because of the perfection of Grant's estate.

Mr. Grant himself took a principle interest in the overseeing of the estate and Ewan found himself in Mr. Grant's company more often than not. Ewan preferred overseeing fields, maintaining stock and exercising horses to indulging in the follies so loved by the others. Mr. Grant accommodated him graciously and Ewan believed Mr. Grant even to take pleasure in his company as Mr. Grant's most passionate pastime was talking about the overseeing of his estate. When the others of his company decided the country was far too dull to continue any longer and must return to Town under pain of dying from boredom, Ewan was greatly relieved to receive an invitation to stay on at the estate from Mr. Grant. The women protested the loss of his company the most, Charles merely stated it was in his Irish nature to wish to stay in such a dull place and Wimbley congratulated him on the crafty removal of his person from the prized pig competition.