CHAPTER SIX

The following morning found Ewan ill of temper from a sleepless night and a slight hangover which was not improved by the hearty congratulations bestowed upon him by Grant at their meeting. "I did only what was necessary, no congratulations are deserved." Grant, a little taken back at Ewan's response laughed awkwardly. "Well then, at least let me pay tribute to her beauty." Ewan rolled his eyes, "Her beauty was the last thing on my mind. Just at that moment, I quite wanted to throttle her." Grant stopped suddenly in amazement let out another awkward laugh then tried again, "Then perhaps it is her wealth I should extol though, I never pegged you a fortune hunter, I suppose the thought is on every young man's mind at some point." Full of irritation Ewan turned on the older man, "What in heaven's name are you babbling about. What could her wealth possibly have to do with yesterday's event?" Ewan started away again talking over his shoulder, "And here I thought, of all people, I would have an ear full from you of what an insolent beast she was." Ewan's progress was abruptly halted as the man laid an iron-clad hand across his shoulder and spun him around. "That is quite enough. I can take a jest or two but to show such unguarded cruelty to your betrothed is unsupportable. I demand an honorable apology or so help me." Ewan stared blankly at the man for several moments allowing time for his tongue to catch up with his mind.

"Betrothed?" He bent over in a fit of hysterics which left Grant utterly at a loss. When he composed himself he stood back up and fixed his eyes on the man. "I am tired and I suffer the effects of a Scotsman so, if you would be so kind as to slowly tell me what the bloody hell you are talking about, I would be ever in your debt." Surprised, but having some faith in the man restored, Grant spoke articulately, "I was so informed last evening at the gathering that you had confessed yourself to Miss Burke and were now engaged." Ewan's mouth fell agape and he felt the ill effects of the Scot's whiskey moving up his throat. He ran to the corner of the stablerow and was thoroughly sick. Grant, having witnessed this reaction, looked on in bewilderment.

After giving he man adequate time to compose himself once more Grant approached him, "Is it not true?" The question, the concern in Grant's voice and the absurdity of the situation threw Ewan into another fit of laughter. "No, of course it is not true. Where did you even hear such an idea?" Grant's brows drew together, "From my daughter." Ewan leaned his back against the stablerow and drew his hands across his forehead. "You will swear upon your honor that you made no confession to Miss Burke last evening." Ewan stood straight and squared his shoulders, "Upon my honor, upon my very life I have never, and especially not last evening, made any confession to Miss Burke which would in any conceivable way lead her to the conclusion that I had proffered an offer of marriage upon her." Grant took in his sincerity for several minutes before speaking, "And so it is. Ready the two horses at the far end, I shall return directly." With that he turned on his heel and marched away.

Ewan was resting against the side of the stablerow when he heard footsteps approaching. Surprised to see Mrs. Cavinet accompanying Grant he stood quickly and made her a bow. "Now Mr. Donal, please recount to this good lady the last statement you made to me this very morning." Ewan gave a faithful recount. Mrs. Cavinet looked from Grant to Ewan as she turned Ewan's speech over in her mind. "Oh! This will not do. This simply will not do," she exclaimed. "Miss Grant told me she had the news directly from you Mrs. Cavinet. Pray tell, from where did you gather your intelligence?" The lady had the good breeding to blush and look completely abash, "Well from the source of course." Grant drew up a brow, "From Mr. Donal?" Her blush deepened, "No." "Miss Burke then?" She looked at the ground then nodded once. "Very well, you are now charged with the dispensing of this unfortunate piece of gossip." She looked up as though to protest. "Is that understood Mrs. Cavinet?" She closed her mouth on whatever she meant to say, nodded once more, then turned and quit the conversation as quickly as she could.