Rising Power (#1 of the Canto...

By FanyPi

*** Completed but in heavy editing process*** Humanity has been existing for 250 years in the stranded Canton... More

Canton's Map!
Edward's Story (Prologue I)
The Last Memory of the First Leader (Prologue II)
Dreams Connected - Valentine
Dreams Connected-John
The Party
Gathering
The First Night
New Friends
Old Enemies
Instructors
A Test of Fears (I)
A Test Of Fears (II)
The Ties That Bind
The Bully and the Hero
The Broken Man
The Forbidden Scheme
A Hero's Night Out
The Chase
Awakening
Punishment
The Past
The Present
The Choice
The Unexpected Revelation
The Final Exam
Falling into the Trap
Overkill
Fates Collide
Deliverance
A Most Fateful Meeting
A Slip of Mind/Redemption
Restless
Face Off
The Plan
Trapped
Revenge
Epilogue

Divided

64 10 13
By FanyPi

Canton Eastern Outskirts- 09:00, 25th September, 200 A.D

The field was in bloom... A beautiful breeze was swiping through the barley and the flowers gave a beautiful smell on the cool air of the afternoon. The sun was still in the sky, but was soon to set, creating a mixture of pink, orange and purple colours.

John was sitting on a green bench, smiling, happy beyond words. The young woman in front of him was walking through the barley, touching it with her fingertips, laughing. Then she came towards him, kneeled and when their heads were almost touching, he asked him.

"You don't really believe I am dead, do you John? Not you."

He shook his head, unable to speak. Valentine pushed her flowing hair behind her ear. Her blue eyes were glowing in the sun.

"You know I am stronger than this, right? I hope the others are not worried. Because I am fine. I just have to stay away for a while. I have to be ... stronger somehow. Do you understand?"

He nodded again. Then Valentine came even closer and she hugged him. "But I miss you all so much. I will try to be with you again as soon as possible." And then, her face was centimetres away from his, and he knew it was wrong, but he wanted to kiss her again so badly. So he leaned closer ignoring his fear and his guilt...

John woke up as his lips were about to touch hers. He felt sadness, but also relief. He didn't want to go down that path again, not even in his dream.

He got out of his bed, heading straight for the bathroom, where he splashed a lot of cold water in his face. It made his mind clear up a bit. Then he made his way back to his bed where he laid down, thinking about his dream. Or, better said, his vision.

John was entirely convinced that his brain had managed to establish a connection with Val's. She was alive and well, against all odds. Despite Rehberg's announcement stating that Valentine Stone had died in a terrible accident.

John would never forget Vanessa, as she stood on the Conference Room's Podium, less than a month ago. She looked beaten up, broken, nothing reminiscing of her strong, determined character upon the first night. There was a bleak atmosphere all around the teammates, and every single soul could feel, that something was wrong.

"As many of you already know by now, there has been a terrible accident, involving your last exam. A conflict between three candidates who left them terribly wounded. Therefore, the Council asked for the temporary closing of the Academy, until the re-evaluation of some parameters. You are, until then, free to return to your homes. Because of your Powers, you will be under strict supervision. We would kindly ask you, to keep your gift a secret. You will return at the Academy, as soon as the problems will be resolved."

There had been mixed feelings all around the Academy, happiness, sadness and fear combined. But most of all, John had unanswered questions, a lot of them. Along with Seb and Mike, they entered the Instructors office, announced. And that's where they found, the thing they've dreaded the most.

"How is that even possible?"

Mike was shouting, hitting her office with his fists, as Seb, white as a sheet from shock, tried to get a hold of him.

"Valentine's death was the result of a miscalculation" Vanessa whispered.

"Miscalculation? We're talking about a person's life. Amy Wyatt is at the hospital fighting for her own life. Now you are telling us Val is dead. The Academy is scattered and Alice Green is alive and kicking. Aren't you going to do something about that? What kind of people are you?"

Vanessa's tears were John's cue. He caught Mike's arm and leaned close to his ear.

"Let's go home, Mike."

The pissed-off giant immediately calmed down, and the three of them exited the office. There was nothing to discuss anymore.

They returned to their homes as planned, but nothing was the same anymore. The three of them had been best friends for the past four years, but the two girls had added a new flare to their trio. And now, with a comatose Amy and a dead Valentine, something was clearly amiss.

And then, a little less than ten days ago, John started dreaming. Or rather visioning. Valentine in a beautiful dress, smiling, full of life, telling him that she was alive and well, and was about to return soon. He'd woken up so exited after this revelation, sending a message to Seb and Mike before even started thinking about the implications.

John described his dream with all the beautiful little details, (minus the kiss, that part was none of their business), in front of the surprised faces of his best friends.

"I know what I saw is real, guys. I know Valentine was real. I never really bought this weird story about her death, accident my ass. Valentine was perfectly healthy after Alice's attack...

"Then why would Vanessa lie to us, John? She had no gain..."

"Maybe Aldus Green forced the Instructors to lock up Valentine somewhere... A local jail perhaps, or even the Underground. Had Vanessa told us the truth, we'd have gone out there to break Valentine free, and that's a scandal the Council doesn't want..."

"She seemed pretty sincere to me, dude. She was crying, and had obviously been crying for the past few days."

Mike was looking his palms, not willing to face John.

"Mike, why the fucking hell are you so negative?"

"Because you are too much of a pussy to accept the truth John!"

Mike stood up, his enormous body mass towering over him.

"Valentine is dead. Dead. Gone. If she was still alive, don't you think she would have tried at least to come in contact with us, somehow?"

"Maybe she is trapped..."

"Even so, if Vanessa knew that she was still alive, don't you think she would have send us an anonymous letter or something? Even under threat, she wouldn't have stopped. We have nothing to prove..."

"I SAW HER. WHY ARE YOU ACTING LIKE A DAMN IDIOT?"

The two boys raised their fists, and Seb run between them, terrified. Mike looked at John with utter disgust.

"You know you still have another friend, don't you? One that is still in a coma, laying in a hospital bed. When was the last time you went to see Amy?"

Mike's words were like a blow to John's face. He two a few steps back, hurt.

"That has nothing to do with..."

"Seb and I, we visit her at the hospital every day. We take turns, looking after her. You just stay here, and do what, dreaming? Hoping that a lost friend still exists? The only one who is acting like a damn idiot is you."

With that last sentence, his two friends were gone. John had spoken with neither of them ever since. He felt hurt and betrayed, even though he knew he'd acted like a jerk. Even though he knew Mike had a point in his words. And John missed them. He was alone in this enormous mansion, his parents gone on a second honeymoon vacation.

You could always go and see Amy, you fucking asshole.

But his guilt wouldn't let him. He was a seer, a telepath, and still was unable to predict Alice's appearance or the outcome of their final exam.

I send Amy to that hospital bed. I send Val to whatever hell she is going through. I am not even capable of keeping my best friends close.

John's phone rung. It took him a few seconds to realize what was going on. The last time a person had called was more than a week ago. He picked it up, an ominous feeling in his chest.

"What's up?"

"John, it's me. We need to talk."

***

"Mike, are you going to the hospital again tonight?"

"I may spend a couple of hours there, yes"

"And who is going to look after us?"

Missy looked at her brother with big puppy eyes. Mike felt the incoming attack seconds before it took place.

"Oh, I have an idea. Why don't we sleep at John's house? It's been so long since we've seen him."

Denver said, giving sideway glances at Missy.

Mike sighted.

"We'll see about that."

He was on his way home, his siblings walking right in front of him, chirping happily like little birds, without a care in the world. He had missed the little troublemakers so much, and he needed some happy innocence in his life after that particular unfortunate incident.

Val was gone, Amy was in a coma and John was a big time idiot. Mike still hadn't find the courage to tell his siblings about his fight with John. They both loved him so much, and he was indeed, wonderful with children. But Mike refused to be a fluffy-headed idiot like him.

Missy's hand was suddenly on his own, her grasp unexpectedly strong.

"You have fought with John, haven't you?"

Mike nodded, the knot in his throat threaten to overwhelm him.

"Is it because of the hospital girl? The singer Amy?"

He chuckled.

"It's complicated, honeybee."

"Is that why you cry every night, Mike? Because she won't wake up?"

I cry because I can't save anyone, baby. What's the point of having a Power, being a supposed Hero after seventy whole years, if I can't do a damn thing?

"You weren't supposed to see that, Missy."

"But I did. Denver did too."

His brother had turned his little head at them, looking straight at Mike's eyes.

"Missy, I..."

"He cries because he missed me. So, I came to change that."

An all-too familiar voice was heard, not far from where they stood.

"JOHNNIEEEE!"

Missy and Denver run towards John's direction, practically jumping from joy. They hugged him tightly, and he kissed their little heads.

"I missed you very much, little monkeys."

Mike laughed instinctively, feeling overjoyed, before reminding himself that he has pissed at him.

John walked towards him, grabbing his shoulders tightly.

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?"

"How many times have I picked them up from school, Mike? I know we fought, but come on."

"Why are you here, John?"

"Because your PA is out of reach. You should really charge it from time to time."

Mike turned pale.

"Is Amy...?"

"She is close to waking up, Mike. And no matter our differences, we have to be there for her. I have to be there. I already lost so much time, because of my guilt. Are you with me on this?"

All those pain, all those sleepless night, full of tears... What would have happened if they hadn't been separated? What would have happened if they hadn't left the girls alone, easy targets for a maniac?

Now Amy was bound to wake up, and Mike had, at last, a chance of redemption.

"That doesn't mean I believe you, John."

"I don't need you to believe me. Just to forgive me, at least for the time being."

Mike nodded. He mustered all his lost courage and said determined

"Let's do this."

A.N. Song: Heartbeat - Jose Gonzalez

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34 3 12
"May this be a story anyone can be helped by." - Julian Finholm In the words of Julian Finholm, prepare for a story of heroism and humanity. Starsis...
1.9K 64 31
Born into a world where talking wolves, water powers, a villainous dictator, and medieval castles are the social norm, Aqua Reynolds is ripped from h...
442 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
461 167 10
"I was unprepared when I woke up in an unknown world." Once, there was a kingdom forged in prosperity. Reigning at the top of its glory drew peace an...