All The Queen's Horses {Myrni...

By EmelineRousselotFF

I trembled when we entered the room. I had heard there was nothing quite like make-up sex and even experience... More

Maybe Just a Small Taste
No Life & Death - Only Science
My Own Personal Blood Donor
Myrnin's or Oliver's Pet?
I Am...Willing...If You Want
Come. Now. Urgent!
I Can't Help Her Here
Vodka & Moscato
Run Away With Me
I Don't Play Games
Girl Talk Confessions
You Have to Decide. Now!
And Then We Were Falling
Gwion's Lair
An Intimate Connection
Clāmāre
The Ties That Bind
Little Minx
Challenges
Liam and Eve
Ocelot
Never Be Enough
Immortals
Do You Want to Die Today?
Bite Me
Dragon Mallow
What Do I Get in Return?
Faeryn
Playing With Fire
You Did This To Me!
What He Can't Have
The Rabbit Hole
Will It Hurt?
Cat Got Your Tongue?
You Belong to Me
Nowhere To Go
Full of Surprises
The Missing Piece
I Love That Sound
My Exotic Butterfly
Was I Worth It?
Panty Circus
Fix It
They Know
A Brother Bond
That's Going to Be Painful
I Can't Do This
Be Ready for the Next Hit
It's a Start
Fight For Me!
Priodas
You Want That?
Bloodlust
Of Course It's a Trap
Do It
Pillow Talk
Sleep Now, Cariad
A Little Rough
Epilogue

Mortal Danger

11.6K 607 30
By EmelineRousselotFF

Chapter 8 – Mortal Danger

"Wait. What? Where?" Again with the one word sentences. I shook my head to clear it. "You want me to fly to Europe with you? Tonight?!" I stuttered, still not believing I heard him correctly. What could we possibly do in Conwy that would save Amelie's life?

"We don't have time to spare," Myrnin answered me, his eyes hard. I saw Oliver cringe in my peripheral vision, at the cruel reality of Myrnin's words.

"I can't just fly to another country with you," I whispered, trying to make Myrnin understand.

"Claire," Amelie whispered so softly that I barely heard her. Her words caused Oliver to rush back to her head.

"Yes?" I asked Amelie, my eyes wide.

"He needs you. You will go with him. That is an order." She may have been lying immobile on her deathbed, but there was no doubting the authority of her words. I looked up at Oliver's angry glare and shivered. I knew he would quite literally rip my head from my shoulders if I did not cooperate completely and unconditionally.

Resigned, I answered her, "Yes." I turned to gather the remaining equipment and the sample. I had no idea what we were going to do with it now that we were leaving. I shifted the items in my arms as I walked toward the door, muttering to myself, "There is no such thing as life or death, only science."

Before my brain could even catch up with his movements, Myrnin caught me in the doorway, spun me around to face him and held both of my arms, tightly. I tried to stifle my startled cry at the shock of his behavior and the pain he was inflicting with his relentless grip. I was stunned at the complete altercation of his mood. My eyes flickered to Oliver who looked equally surprised as he watched with an intensity that was making it hard for me to breathe. Or maybe that was a result of Myrnin's grip on me. His eyes were wild as he practically snarled, "Where did you hear that?"

I tried to control my shaking and forced my brain to come up with a reason for his obvious distress. I came up blank and whispered, "What?"

"That sentence: 'There is no such thing as life or death, only science'. Who told you that?!" Myrnin hissed intently, a muscle in his jaw clenching.

"My professor," I breathed in confusion, trying to keep the tears that threatened to fall, inside of my eyes. Recognition that he was scaring, and probably hurting me, came into Myrnin's eyes. He loosened the severity of hold on my arms, but did not let me go. His intensity did not diminish even an ounce as he advanced on me, forcing me to walk backward through the door.

Over his shoulder, I saw Oliver kiss Amelie's hair gently and then purposefully get up to joins us. His eyes narrowed in calculation, his face was the mask of a man at war. Oliver shut the door behind us and Myrnin grilled me again harshly, "What is his name?"

"Professor Trey Silver," I mumbled, a wayward tear making it past my eyelashes and down my cheek.

Myrnin immediately let me go and spoke softer, "What does he look like?"

Now that he was giving me some breathing room, I pushed my brain to think carefully. I had only met Professor Silver once, on the first day of school. "He is a little shorter than you. He has blonde hair and green eyes...which felt revealing and secretive at the same time," I tried to explain, remembering the Professor's unusual eyes.

Myrnin hissed furiously.

"Who?" Oliver interjected flatly through gritted teeth.

"Ciro," another hiss escaped Myrnin's lips.

"Would he have the science to do this?" Oliver asked, his eyes dark and dangerous.

"If I don't, I hardly think so. But we cannot deny the probability. He must. We need to get to the campus. Now. Do you have someone who can take her sample to my lab?" Myrnin replied.

Oliver nodded and made eye contact with a vampire, who sprinted to his attention. Oliver spoke too quickly for me to hear him, but suddenly the container disappeared from my hands.

Without warning, Myrnin gathered me in his arms and ran with me to the conference room with the portal, Oliver by our side. He didn't bother to set me down as he forced the portal open and we flew through.

The campus was quiet, it was early still. Myrnin had finally released me to my walk on my own feet as we came to the Professor's classroom. It felt oddly powerful to be hunting my elusive professor while being flanked by the two strongest predators I knew.

Oliver broke the lock to the classroom with a flick of his wrist. I watched as they rummaged through the desk, papers and books, but everything was immaculate, devoid of any personal items. As they searched, Oliver asked Myrnin, "How did you hear of Ciro?"

Myrnin explained, "It has been centuries since I last saw him. We worked together on various science studies."

Oliver interrupted, "Is this about you?" he screeched, making my ears ring a little.

"No," Myrnin replied definitively. "He was never my enemy. If anything it was the other way around. He enjoyed my collaboration and wanted me to get involved in more projects. I declined because his 'love' for science controlled him. He was driven, not passionate, about it as I was. His drive caused him to brutally hurt people to get the results he wanted. There were enough areas of science to explore in this world, I didn't find it necessary to start with the ones that caused people pain. He disappeared and I never saw or heard of him again."

Oliver hissed, "How did he get past Amelie's screening for a professor?"

"She never met him or knew of him. And he used a fake name." Myrnin looked at me with a new realization. "You said he seemed 'overly' interested in you?"

"Yes," I trembled, knowing where he was going and knowing he was right.

"Was he the professor who called you, wanting to know when you would be returning to class?"

"Yes... I actually thought he was hitting on me", I admitted finally. Myrnin growled so deeply that it vibrated his entire frame.

Myrnin turned toward Oliver and spoke pointedly, "She met him the same day you came to me about Amelie – which was also the day after she was attacked in her bedroom. There must be a connection."

Oliver took over the conversation, speaking with military ease, "Both of you, get back to the lab, take care of Amelie's sample and be ready to go. The travel arrangements will be made by the time you arrive. I will find this professor...if it is the last thing I do," he swore, his face twisted in deadly determination.

I shivered, not doubting him for a second.

--------------------

The sun was barely touching the horizon as we were driven to the Glass House by one of Amelie's guards, so that I could pack my things. I struggled against my fatigue and rested against Myrnin's arm hung over the back of the leather seat in the sedan. I let my head fall to the side to look over at him. "Myrnin, you know I am not a fan of Oliver, but today...I've never seen him like that..." I didn't know how to finish my own sentence.

Of course, Myrnin knew what I meant and replied, "I understand his pain. Losing someone you love is never easy."

Oh! I cringed, having forgotten that Myrnin experienced his own deeply painful loss. I said quietly, "I'm sorry...are you remembering Ada?"

He hesitated and looked at me strangely, before finally answering my question, "Yes".

I felt it again. That connection between us that he had insisted didn't exist. I knew I was being ridiculous. He was simply talking about a woman from his past. It had nothing to do with me. I tried to shake it out of my thoughts.

He continued, his voice hypnotic, "Claire, I won't lose you. For now, I will leave the choice up to you. But if it is within my power to do so, I won't let you die," he spoke without a bit of hesitation.

"Even if I didn't want that?" I whispered.

He didn't break eye contact as he said unapologetically, "Yes."

I murmured quietly, "I think I knew that."

He curled his arm that rested behind me, pulling me closer. I nuzzled into his chest, my eyes closing.

--------------------

I awoke to yelling – a lot of it. As I opened my eyes, I quickly realized why. Myrnin was cradling me in his arms and had walked into the Glass House.

"What the fuck did you do to her?!" Shane hissed loudly. I could see he was seconds from attacking Myrnin. If it weren't for me being in Myrnin's arms, Shane probably would have already done so.

I looked up at Myrnin and whispered, "Put me down."

He set me carefully on my feet. I swayed a moment before I got my bearings. Myrnin spoke snidely to Shane, "I had hoped to let her sleep longer, but I can see you are not concerned with such things."

"How long will we be gone?" I asked Myrnin. I had no idea how many days to pack for.

"Hopefully, no more than four days," Myrnin replied.

"Gone? Four days? What the hell are you talking about?" Shane seethed, taking a step in Myrnin's direction.

Michael stepped in front of Shane and spoke urgently, "Bro...you do not want to fight him."

Myrnin smirked, knowing Michael spoke the truth. I was too tired to worry about their little testosterone display of male dominance, and turned to Eve, who had been tugging at me and asking me urgently what was going on.

"I have to fly to Conwy. Tonight." I told her.

Shane must have heard because he interjected fiercely, "You. Are. Not. Going on a vacation. With. Him."

Myrnin scoffed and spoke derisively, "I'd hardly classify this as a vacation. Vacations do not normally include mortal danger."

Mortal danger?! That got my attention and apparently, everyone else's, because the room was silent for beat before exploding into a chorus of questions. I grabbed Myrnin's arm and spun him to face me. "You didn't tell me this trip would be dangerous." I accused harshly.

"You didn't ask," he replied defensively.

My eyebrows shot up. "You know, when someone invites me on a trip, rarely is my first question, 'What are the chances I am going to die?' Of course, with you, maybe that should be my first question," I hissed sarcastically.

Myrnin's lips formed a hard line of irritation. I didn't care. I was being forced to go on this little trip and now I find out I might die as a result. I had a good mind to tell him to kiss my ass. Of course, I would have to find a way to hide from Oliver for the rest of my life, so that he couldn't kill me for not going, but that was just a detail.

Myrnin knew me well and replied to my unspoken challenge darkly, "You don't have a choice. You are going."

I was furious at his presumption and bossiness and shot back, "I will not go...unless Shane comes as well."

It was Shane's turn to smirk at Myrnin.

Myrnin's eyes flashed angrily. I almost backed down. Another emotion flashed across his face...too quickly for me to identify, but it almost looked like relief mixed with sadness. "Fine," he replied tightly.

I opened my eyes in surprise. I hadn't expected it to be that easy. Then I felt a pang, was he thankful he didn't have to be alone with me?

I spun away quickly before either he or Shane could see my face fall. I breathed deeply, forcing the emotion out of my tone and looked at them again, "Maybe Eve and Michael should accompany us as well. If it will be dangerous, they could help," I pushed. In reality, I was terrified to be on another continent with just Myrnin and Shane. I was not at all sure I could keep them from killing each other.

Myrnin studied me carefully and finally rolled his eyes. "By all means, are there any other friends you would like to invite?" he spoke with forced politeness, while he pulled out his phone and called Oliver's office. I knew he was having our travel arrangements expanded to include the larger number of people. I shook my head and walked toward the stairs with Eve, so we could pack. I could have sworn I heard him mutter something irritably about 'babysitting', but I ignored him.

--------------------

Myrnin was gone by the time Eve and I finished packing. I tried calling a few times, but he let the calls go to voicemail. I was getting irritated at his childish behavior when he didn't get his way. Or had he? A recurring thought troubled me – maybe he was happier this way, now that he didn't have to entertain or babysit me. I frowned. My frustration continued during the drive to the airport, when he did not join us.

I realized with alarm, that I never even had the opportunity to ask him exactly what this mortal danger consisted of. Shit. Or even why we were flying half way around the world. Michael, Eve and Shane seemed to be blissfully enjoying this opportunity away from Morganville, but I felt like a bundle of nerves, completely out of sync without Myrnin by my side. After a few short non-responses from me, they all left me alone to my troubled thoughts.

When Myrnin continued to be absent while we waited on the flight for two hours at the airport, my stress level went through the roof. For a minute, I thought maybe he changed his mind and wouldn't be coming with us after all, but how the hell were we supposed to know what to do in Conwy?

As we walked to board the plane, I trailed behind Eve, Michael and Shane. My shoulders slumped. Myrnin was still nowhere to be seen. He must have decided to take a completely different flight than us, I thought dejectedly. Suddenly, I felt a presence right behind me. I would recognize his scent anywhere and inhaled sharply, spinning to face him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.7K 2K 53
Book 1 of the Bloodworth Clan Series VAMPIRE~ROMANCE~MYSTERY~LOVE ----- "Whatever." I hissed as I turned around to leave the room, when he grabbed m...
199 22 40
I was falling, cascading into the dark chasm of sin and desire. I was unhinged, wild and free, giving in to everything I wanted. I would not hold bac...
51.3K 1.6K 31
"Every bone in my body is begging me to devour you." He was just too close, clouding my senses and making my head foggy. "Every bone?" My voice was...