Rising Power (#1 of the Canto...

By FanyPi

*** Completed but in heavy editing process*** Humanity has been existing for 250 years in the stranded Canton... More

Canton's Map!
Edward's Story (Prologue I)
The Last Memory of the First Leader (Prologue II)
Dreams Connected - Valentine
Dreams Connected-John
The Party
Gathering
The First Night
New Friends
Old Enemies
Instructors
A Test of Fears (I)
A Test Of Fears (II)
The Ties That Bind
The Bully and the Hero
The Broken Man
The Forbidden Scheme
A Hero's Night Out
The Chase
Awakening
Punishment
The Past
The Present
The Choice
The Final Exam
Falling into the Trap
Overkill
Fates Collide
Deliverance
A Most Fateful Meeting
Divided
A Slip of Mind/Redemption
Restless
Face Off
The Plan
Trapped
Revenge
Epilogue

The Unexpected Revelation

51 11 8
By FanyPi

"Val, wake up, please..."

A gentle nudge and a whisper. Val opened her eyes alarmed, and came face to face with Amy's eyes, who were wide and full of tears.

"Amy?"

Val started but was interrupted by her friend.

"The roof."

She gently hugged Val and the both of were transported within seconds.

The sudden wind gust blew Val's hair, as they reached their destination.

The Academy's roof was only being used for training sessions, so being there outside practicing hours was strictly forbidden. Of course, that didn't stop Sebastian from discovering certain tight angles, invisible by the cameras. It was that particular spot on the ledge, where the both of them sat.

Val felt the cool air on her arms and legs. It was a nice, enjoyable feeling. If only her friend sitting next to her, didn't cry her heart out. Val hugged Amy tight, and place her head against hers.

"What's wrong, honey?"

"Remember, after the incident with Alice Green... You said something. You said "There is no real friendship with secrets and lies"".

"Amy, has that something to do with today's test? And the building. You've been pretty upset since that whole ordeal... Not quite yourself."

Amy nodded and the wails shook her.

"Val, I will tell you everything. You are the first person to ever find out. But please promise me you won't hate me."

Val chuckled uncomfortably.

"Amy, what the hell? Why should I hate you? Did you kill someone?"

She tried to joke around the matter, feeling extremely uncomfortable. But Amy looked at her with wide eyes.

"I did."

"Amy, what?"

"I killed myself."

***

"Amy Wyatt is not my real name."

Amy begun her story with that sentence.

"My real name is Amelia Rosenberg"

"Rosenberg? As THE Amelia Rosenberg, who was found dead three years ago, under a bridge?"

Val still remembered the story that had shook Canton to the core. Even in the Asylum she had seen the photos of the tabloids. She remembered the family crying in the pictures, heartbroken. Especially the High Counsellor.

"That one. I was born Amelia Rosenberg, in the household of the most powerful Rosenberg to that day, Howard. I was an unwanted child, since my father already had a son and heir for his business. My brother and my father were too sadistic men, looking down on women. They used to chase me down every chance they could, and hit me. As hard as they could."

"What about your mom?"

"My mom was too occupied with her depression to even care. I don't blame her, though. She was given to my father against her will, when she was only sixteen. Her son grew up to be a bastard, and her daughter was a wild, stubborn child... The only person who ever cared about me, was uncle Tom."

"The..."

"Yeah, him. I think I was around nine or ten when my brother's beating send me to the hospital. It was then when Tom took me to live with him. I think those were the happiest days of my life. He is really cut out to be a father, you know. My happiness was sort-lived. My father claimed me back, two years later."

"Didn't your uncle say anything? How did he let that happen? He is the High Counsellor."

"His hands were also tied, Val. I am pretty sure my father was threatening him, too. They never liked each other very much. At least, the beatings stopped. I guess they were too afraid of being exposed after the hospital incident. I have to admit, my life was at least bearable. Until my 15th birthday."

Val felt her skin crawling. "What happened then, Amy?"

Amy looked at her hands.

"I over-heard my father selling me to one of his disgusting single friends. As his future wife. He was a middle-aged man, and he was supposed to have me at my 16th birthday."

Val's mouth fell open from the surprise and disgust. And rage, deep within her heart, burning bright like a flame.

"That's freaking disgusting. I hope you smashed your father's face, Amy."

She shallowed.

"If only I could do that, Val. I stopped eating and drinking, falling ill in bed, instead. I didn't want to see any of them, not even my Uncle. And that's when my mom hired this doctor, Dr. Starr. He was a kind man, who took care of me, spoke to me. There was always something creepy in his touch and look, but I was too depressed to care. One rainy night, I poured my heart out to him, told him everything about the despicable arranged marriage. And then Dr. Starr hugged me, and told me there is a way to escape my house, and my life as a Rosenberg, forever. The good doctor would help me. He had connections everywhere. He only wanted a little thing in return."

The little thing that every lonely man eventually asks for...

Val felt her own eyes full with tears, understanding perfectly what came next.

"Amy, you don't have too..."

Amy stopped her with a gesture.

"I gave the doctor the little thing he asked for. More than a few times. Sometimes some of his friends would come along, for "cross-examination", you understand. It was not against my will, Val. More than anything, it was my will. My will to get out of this place. And Dr. Starr kept his promise. He took advantage of me, but in the end I escaped my old life, forever."

"What about the girl found on the river?" Val asked, desperate for a change of subject.

"A body double, so deformed no-one could really recognised her. As for me, I dyed my hair, lasered my eyes, slightly changed my features and obtained a bunch of new papers. I was sent to live with a surrogate family. Happy people, kind. They helped me in the start of my career. I owned them a lot, and plan to see them again, when I get out of here. The only thing that remained from my old life, were the hands. You know those freezing moments I have, Val? It's like hands are tearing my skin apart, hurting my flesh. It's terrible, but I've learned to control it in here, at least to an extent. No-one was allowed to touch me before, my reactions were extreme. But now with you... it just feels different."

Amy wiped her eyes with back of her palm.

"No you know, Val. I don't have to hide anymore. Not from you at least."

"You don't have to hide from no-one, Amy. We are all lost souls, and have to stand by each other. It's the only way to fight the demons that plague us. I do have a question though. Why the Rosenberg Financials? Don't you want to forget about your family?"

Amy chuckled.

"There is a hidden room in that skyscraper, like a treasure of sorts. I remember seeing it by accident, when I was really young. It's where my father kept track of every Rosenberg family member, even minor relatives. I've been thinking of those files, ever since my name started standing out. My family hates music altogether, and they would never give a second look to a young singer, especially one that bears no resemblance to their dead daughter. But what if, you know... I just have to look on this files with my own eyes. Just to make sure."

"Are you sure that is the right thing to do Amy? I mean what about your freeze moments, those hands you are talking about? Aren't they going to get worse once you get into the building? I don't want you suddenly collapsing in a dirty, dark corridor. The Instructors are going to monitor us"

"I'll make it, Val. I have too. It's good that you know now, in a way. The hands appear when I am alone. Now I am not anymore."

"Glad I could help a friend. And speaking of friends..."

"I'll tell them Val. In time, I will. I know those idiots really do care. But I have to make sure no one knows or suspects about."

"What has that got to do with anything?"

Amy looked at her like she was a five-year old toddler.

"I don't think you truly understand. My father is a powerful and hideous man. He has the power to threaten the High Counsellor and they have the same blood. I had to construct a whole plan, even change myself, to escape his claws. You are exposed right now, do you know that? I can't bring that fate to Mike's family. And John. And poor Sebastian... That fool likes me, you know."

"I think everyone with common sense knows that, Amy."

Amy smiled, turning slightly red. Val squeezed her a little tighter.

"But I do understand. And I will help, I swear. But if everything is alright, you come clean, Amy. Promise?"

Amy nodded decisively.

"Promise."

A.N. Hurt- Johnny Cash

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 183 28
Disclaimer-this is undergoing editing, so if it doesn't make sense, then oh well. Five kids born with elemental powers are ripped away from everythin...
173K 5.3K 41
"If I'm going to die anyway, there's no point in trying to live." A typical reincarnated into a villainess story, except the protagonist isn't your t...
370 38 25
'The words replayed again and again. And I gave myself to the shadows.' Amita is a Chieftess, forever loyal to her village, her family and her people...
994 92 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...