Rising Power (#1 of the Canto...

By FanyPi

*** Completed but in heavy editing process*** Humanity has been existing for 250 years in the stranded Canton... More

Canton's Map!
Edward's Story (Prologue I)
The Last Memory of the First Leader (Prologue II)
Dreams Connected - Valentine
Dreams Connected-John
The Party
Gathering
The First Night
New Friends
Old Enemies
Instructors
A Test of Fears (I)
A Test Of Fears (II)
The Ties That Bind
The Bully and the Hero
The Broken Man
The Forbidden Scheme
A Hero's Night Out
The Chase
Awakening
Punishment
The Past
The Present
The Choice
The Unexpected Revelation
Falling into the Trap
Overkill
Fates Collide
Deliverance
A Most Fateful Meeting
Divided
A Slip of Mind/Redemption
Restless
Face Off
The Plan
Trapped
Revenge
Epilogue

The Final Exam

57 13 9
By FanyPi

Rosenberg Financials - 17th September, 200 A.D

The big black van bumped dangerously on its way to the Rosenberg Financials. The beautiful scenery, the lush trees and bushes, combined with the wildness of the desert, took Val's breath away. Of course, even the view wasn't enough to take her mind off her stress.

She turned her head and looked sideways at Amy, who sat on her left side and chattered away happily with Sebastian on the back. If she was nervous, there was not one sign of it on her face.

"So what do you think it's going to be like? Excitement is killing me. I hope we get to beat up a lot of holograms. Let out some steam you know."

"You've beating up holograms the whole month, dude. Just relax a little bit."

John made a sarcastic face in Mike's direction.

"It is kind of infuriating though, the way we have no idea what's going to be like. I can't even get the first group to answer their PAs. Any luck on yours Val?"

"Not really, no. Mandy, Nelson and a bunch of others are completely disconnected. I do think it's the right thing for the Instructors to do, though. We were just too many to be tested on one single day."

"And you have to admit it's the only fair way. I know a bunch of people who picked the second day of the Exams, just so they could cheat from the first day teams. That way we're not allowed to know what's in store for us. They have really thought about it through and through."

John showed a rare admiration in his voice.

"Vanessa is a genius, man."

Amy sulked and turned her back on Seb for the rest of the trip.

Amy's distaste for Vanessa made a whole more lot of sense now that Val knew that she was a Rosenberg. Tom's and Vanessa's relationship was no secret. Being together the same time period Amy had to fake her own death, did not made the situation easier. Still... it wasn't Vanessa's fault that Howard Rosenberg was a cold-hearted bastard.

The van broke down its speed, and the enormous skyscraper came into view. Wavy half-black, half-silver glass, and a gigantic metal R on the side, a sign of high architecture.

"We're sure no cheap people when it comes to power show-off" Amy whispered in Val's ear.

Indeed you are not.

"John?"

He closed his eyes and focused his inner sight on the building in front of them. He opened them again.

"I sense the little hologram points on the higher part of the building, extending in three or maybe four floors. No traps as long as I can sense. Pretty straight forward"

"Alright." said Mike. "Then in we go."

They took up their standard formation, entered the building and were greeted with darkness and silence. Their PAs took off at the same time, making them jump. Sebastian opened his message first. It was Vanessa Rehberg, smiling through the screen at them, real-time.

"Hey, guys. Glad you picked up Rosenberg Financials, since I will be the one to monitor your progress. The exam will take place between the 16th and 19th floor, as John has already guessed, probably."

John nodded, amused.

"All the other floors are off limits, and you are strongly advised not to venture into them. The floors mentioned have a pretty straight forward path for you to follow. The holograms will, in rare cases, try to divert you from your path. Do not pick up a fight in non-designated areas, just let them be. Your suits have a certain red-glowing spot. Can you see it?"

The red spot was just a tiny spotlight above their hearts.

"Protect that spot at all costs. If you fail and you are hit, you are out of the Exam. Understood?"

They all nodded.

"Great. I am counting on you. You are one of the best teams out there, and one of my personal favourites. Just between us, ok?"

The boys blushed at her words. Amy rolled her eyes.

"Can we start already mrs Rehberg?"

"Of course, Mrs Wyatt. Follow the path to the elevators and hit the 16th button. Good luck."

The transmission disappeared. Val straightened up her back and looked at them, her eyes burning.

"Let's do this, people."

The Exam was really pretty straight forward, as John had predicted. The holograms were not nearly as difficult and tricky, as they were back at the Academy.

"I think it's because they can't control them so good in a real scale environment. They are so many factors they can't control, so they must have picked up the most basic enemies to do the job", remarked John, once they've all crawled into their neutral zone safe-spot on the 18th floor, with Val asking the question.

"I think they just want to test us in the field", added Sebastian. "They want to see the way we co-operate rather than test our strength."

Mike sighted.

"I have hoped it would have been a little more difficult, you know. Anyway, I think you are right about the strength. I mean the people who got lost on the mountains were elites, right? And they still got beaten to a pulp. At times like this, they don't have the luxury to disqualify any of us. Even people like Emma or Nelson are stronger than a normal average person. They need us."

"No matter what we think, we have to be cautious. We still have one floor to go. Maybe the big catch is there."

They all fixed their clothes, and got ready to go. Val and Amy lingered momentary behind.

"Listen, Val, the files are upstairs. Of course, they are in an off-limit area. But we can divert the guys for a little while and go take a look. Without enemies it will only take a few minutes. I know exactly where to look. Are you with me?"

You'll do it whatever you want no matter what I say Amy, won't you? So it's not really a question.

"Yes, we'll do this together. No way you are venturing on your own out there, Amy. It may be harmless, but it still is a completely abandoned building. I don't want any roof parts falling on your head."

Amy smiled at her.

"Thanks."

Their venture on the 19th floor was a little bit difficult, but nothing out of the ordinary. The team cleared the level out of the holograms, until they were completely ready.

"I kinda think we passed the test, guys" Sebastian said.

"Congratulations to us then." Amy said, not really excited.

"But I think it's best for us if we check the floors once again. You know, just to make sure we didn't miss anything. I don't want Rehberg on my neck, charging me with overconfidence, laughing at my back. I have a suggestion. Why don't you guys check the first floors again, and me and Val stay on the last two."

John looked at her, a weird look on his face.

"Split up, Amy? Are you sure?"

"Well, of course I am, macho man. You think because we are girls we can't handle enemies on our own? Is that what you say?"

"Wow Amy, nobody said..." Sebastian started.

Amy took a step forward and John took Seb by the arm, with Mike rolling his eyes.

"Whatever you want, Amy, ok? Just be careful."

"We will John. We know exactly what we are doing. No reason for you to be concerned."

John nodded and run to catch the elevator. Val turned around to face Amy. "Let's go."

Amy guided her friend through a dim-lit and narrow corridor to an old looking office. Papers were scattered all around and few windows were broken.

"I would have never thought such important files are here, Amy."

"That's the plan, Val. Zero suspicions. But trust me, those papers are there.

No one would ever risk moving so many files, not even my all-powerful father. I think their location is even more perfect now, with all the abandonment. And he would certainly not try to take the documents with him in his villa or the Tower, under Tom's nose. Besides..." she made a little pause, while tinkering the lock in the little hidden safe.

"A little less than a year ago, when my work started being recognised, I ... I went to Canton Tower. I even managed to reach my uncle's floor, until I had second thoughts and turned back again. I waited until the sunrise on a bench outside the Tower, telling myself I will find the courage to talk to him. He got out late at night, with Vanessa Rehberg at his side. They got in the car together."

"Amy, it's kinda unfair to hate Vanessa because she dates your uncle. I just wanted to say my honest opinion in this."

"She doesn't anymore. Besides, I know she is actually a good person, ok? It's just... her being there that day, I always had this as an excuse for not talking to Uncle Tom in the end. And they looked so perfectly happy... I didn't want to spoil their moment. Then I saw a guy taking a picture of them. I realized immediately that he worked for my father. I took a risky chance and followed him. He went inside that building, and it was already abandoned by that time. That's how I am sure the files are there."

With a small click, the safe opened up. It wasn't a small compact door as it seemed to be, but a normal human-sized door that led to a chamber full of papers. Val was speechless. Amy lowered her head.

"Val do you mind, if I go alone? It will only take a few seconds."

"Be my guest."

Val waited outside, for what it seemed like hours. When Amy finally emerged from the door, a sense of relief was all over her face.

"Well?"

"Status: Deceased."

Val hugged her tight. Amy was crying.

"It's alright now. You are completely and utterly free. Tonight we will celebrate our victory and you'll tell the others. Ok?"

Amy wiped her tears in the back of her hand.

"Let's just get out of here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

485 16 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
39.1K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...
30 0 20
"𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐞, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞. 𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐢𝐭. 𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐚𝐛𝐨�...