Echoes

By Ari-Stop

Nisa lives in the walled nation of Alvion, cut off from the rest of the world. After discovering a dark secre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 26

3 0 0
By Ari-Stop

Torika wrapped her arms around me as I stood there frozen.

"Uh," I stammered, a million thoughts racing through my mind. "So you guys are pure bloods."

Torika let go. "Pure bloods, such an outdated term. We prefer to use the Traditional Language."

"The what?"

"Before the Pranayikatanians came to Ekota, we spoke one language, called the Traditional Language. In our language, we are called the Odaria," Torika explained.

"This is a lot to take in," I replied.

"Please, come sit," Torika said, ushering me to the platform. "Farok, see to it that these people have their issues addressed outside."

The king rolled his eyes, but obliged nonetheless, shooing out the other people and shutting the iron doors behind him. Torika sighed and shook her head.

"You're king's kind of a jerk," I said, sitting down on the platform.

Torika smiled, the wrinkles around her eyes crinkling. "He's not always this awful. Leadership was thrusted onto him after..." She trailed off.

"After what?" I pressed.

"After our last king, his father, was taken by the Naholo," she replied grimly.

"I'm sorry, the what?" I asked.

"Those creature to the south," Torika said.

"I knew it, the Beasts are taking you guys!" I exclaimed.

Torika sighed and sat down next to me, resting her hand on mine. I couldn't help but to stare at her, the fires on the wall flickering off of her face. She did, in a way, remind me of my father. They had the same face shape, same eyes. She seemed like the more, worn down version of my father.

"So," I started. "Grandma."

Torika, squeezed my hands. "Please, call me Amema. It's traditional."

"Alright, Amema," I started again, feeling for the words. "What is all this?" I gestured at the room, but I meant the entirety of the volcano city.

"This is our home Nisa, a place for the Odaria to live without fear, without hate," she said.

"No offense, Amema, but hate?" I asked. "Who's hating you?"

"Hundreds of years ago, the Odaria were forced into hiding by the Gilit. We can't trust them, we never could. Which is why we came to Mount Wanea to preserve our people," Torika explained.

"Gilit? Sorry, this whole Traditional Language thing is really confusing," I asked sheepishly.

"Those with plain blood, not with Audral's blessing. They are weak and are not fit to call themselves Ekotians," she answered, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh, um, about that," I started. "See, uh, I sort of came here with the leader of the Winoan Council and we were hoping that maybe we could form a sort of alliance to stop the Be- I mean, Naholo."

Torika raised an eyebrow. "You what?"

I pursed my lips. She didn't seem happy, but I didn't know any better.

"We'll forget about that for the time being. What can you tell me about my parents?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, your parents, they were such a lovely couple," she said, a hint of sadness creeping into her voice. "But they were so young, so full of dreams."

"What happened?" I pressed.

It took Torika a while to compose herself. She took a deep breath.

"Your father, my poor son, he was just so full of hope. He and you mother, when they married and she became pregnant, well, they only wanted the best for you. They didn't want you to grow up, living in fear of the Naholo like they did. So they left, and each day that passes, I regret not being able to keep them here," Torika explained, her eyes watering. "How are your parents?"

I bit my lip. "Amema, they died in a fire almost ten years ago. I'm so sorry."

Torika stared at the floor without a word. She closed her eyes, a tear streaming down her cheek. I wrapped my arm around her, resting my head on her shoulder. Torika drew a deep breath.

"I may have lost my son, but at least I now have my ihanena, my granddaughter," she said, putting her hand on my head and gently stroking my hair.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes, just enjoying the fact that we found each other. Suddenly, Torika tensed and stood up.

"Now, about your Gilit company," She started. "Explain."

"You know, maybe I'm not the best person to explain this, Shae thinks I am, but really, what do I know?" I babbled.

"Shae? Who is Shae?" Torika asked.

"Leader of the Winoan Council," I answered. "She basically controls the parts of Ekota you don't." That came out a little meaner than I wanted it to, but I had a feel Torika didn't think much of Shae in the first place.

"A false leader," Torika grumbled. "We should be leading this nation, not hiding in a cave, but it's best for our people."

"Well, our people chose to think themselves better years ago," I could feel my pent up anger about to release. "We chose to hide because we thought we were better than everyone else."

"And we are!" Torika stated.

"No we're not! We're people, it doesn't matter what our blood is like, we're all people," I said. "Amema, please. Listen to me. The only way you're ever going to stop the Naholo is by abandoning your pride and forming an alliance."

Torika wrinkled her nose and crossed her arms. "Where is this Shae now?"

"In your dungeons," I replied.

She looked me over, trying to read my expression.

"Very well," she started. "I will hear her out and listen to her claims. Is this proves to be a trick, I will have all your friends thrown into the fires of Mount Wanea. Accompany Farok to get her."

"Thank you Amema, you won't regret this," I said, standing to leave.

I jogged out of the room, closing the doors behind me. Retracing my footsteps, I burst through the front doors, Farok and the others jumping in surprise.

"Farok," I said. "We're going to the dungeons."

"Excuse me, but you will kneel before the king!" One person, and old man yelled at me.

"Yeah, whatever. Let's go," I said, stomping off.

"Slow down!" Farok said, trailing behind.

"Hurry up, Your Highness," I said, echoing his words. "Why didn't you say you were the king?"

Farok fell into stride next to me and rolled his eyes. "Because it didn't matter, you were a prisoner, you didn't need to know. But now that I know you're Torika's granddaughter, I suppose I'm going to have to start treating you better."

"Wow, that warms my heart," I grumbled.

"Good. Now why are we going back to the dungeons?" He asked as we crossed the bridge.

"Well, I saw fit that it was high time we had a meeting between leaders," I said, trying not to lose my balance. "Torika has agreed to meet with the leader of the Winoan Council, who you have been so graciously keeping in a dungeon."

"Torika agreed? She's not even in charge, I am," Farok stated.

"Really, because you kind of seem like her puppet," I noted.

We crossed under the arch, back into the dimly light caves.

"Excuse me?" Farok exclaimed. "I am the king and she is my adviser. She obeys me."

"Debatable. Though you do seem a little inexperienced," I replied.

Farok raised his eyebrows. "Inexperienced? I wasn't ready to be king! I was still young and immature when my father died."

"Clearly that hasn't changed. And what are you, like thirty?" I asked.

"Thirty-two."

"OK, well then you should have been well-prepared to be king."

We rounded a corner, the tunnel in front of us lined with metal doors.

"I wasn't expecting to have to take over so soon, thank you. And why do you care, she's your grandmother, you should be happy you have someone with so much power looking out for you," Farok said, changing the subject.

I shrugged. "I don't know, her ideals seem a little outdated, don't you think?"

"She's my adviser," Farok replied, taking out a set of keys from the folds of his clothing. "It doesn't really matter what she thinks, she knows what's best for the Odaria."

We stopped in front of a door, Farok tinkering with the keys. I grabbed a torch off the wall as he pushed the door open. We stepped inside, my companions still bound to the walls.

"Nisa!" Shae shouted.

"Nisa, did they harm you, are you alright?" Sanus asked.

"I'm fine guys, don't worry," I responded.

"What do they want with us?" Someone called from the back of the chamber.

"I can't say for sure yet, but I promise I'm going to get us out of here."

I handed Farok the torch and pulled out my dagger, quickly cutting at Shae's bonds.

"Shae you need to listen to me," I said quietly as I sawed at the ropes. "I've organized a meeting with their leaders, but they're not friendly towards people who aren't pure bloods. You need to be extra careful around my grandmother-"

"Your grandmother?" Shae exclaimed.

I glanced back at Farok, but he seemed distracted by his reflection in the door. "Yes, she's the adviser to the King Farok, the man behind me. He seems to feel indifferent about us but my grandmother, her ideals are old fashioned. You need to be careful with what you say."

The ropes broke and Shae fell forward. I caught her before she could hit the ground, helping her stand. Farok spun around.

"You must be Shae, leader of this, what was it?" He asked.

"Winoan Council," I muttered.

"Yes, that. Please follow me."

The three of us left the prison chamber, walking back through the endless tunnels.

"Torika does not like to be kept waiting. And please, watch what you say, or you may all end up dead," Farok said to Shae.

"Farok," I started. "What do you think of the Gilit?"

He raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"I mean do you think they're out to get you? Do you really think they want the Odaria dead? You guys have been hidden for years, no one's come to exterminate you," I elaborated.

Farok didn't answer at first. We continued through the caves, coming once more to the arch.

"No," he said finally. "I don't think they're trying to kill us. Not that they could. But Torika knows what's best for our people. Never mind that, though. What's important now is making sure you two aren't thrown in the magma pit for treason. Come along."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258 5 38
The whole camp was filling with smoke. I coughed, praying that my lungs would keep working for just a few more minutes. "Eli, which way is west?" Ada...
3.1K 69 31
"May I?" His voice is hoarse, and I watch as he swallows hard, his Adam's apple bobbing. I hesitate for just a moment before banishing the jumble of...
1.6K 22 75
Ala (pronounced a-la) It is 2053, Earth is now home to the Alexins. The Alexins are a race of super humans who arrived on Earth in the year 2040 afte...
370 73 21
"We know this fight won't be easy. In fact, it'll be one of the hardest things you'll encounter in your life. You have to be passionate about this re...