Fear me, Love me

Autorstwa moonkeeper

Book Three of the Werewolf Keeper Series. Ryder and Lauren are fighting on opposite sides in a world war. De... Więcej

Demons in the Sky
Wintry Heart
The End
Swallowed by Shadow
Grim Reaper
Message for Rabbit
The Sanguinem Guard
His Name was Legend
Maniac with a Borrowed Face
Ryder's Desire
City of Masks
Whispered Surrender
Love Triangle
Bad News
Vampire Directory
Death Whisperer
Welcome to Irrenhaus
The Underworld
Stheno's Heir
Sworn Brothers
Storm the Bastille
Chasing after Time
A Bloody Dawn
The Flayed Man
Year of the Bat
Candy Blood
Goodbye Gomorrah
Wild Heart
The Elder
Happy Thoughts
Daddy Hades
The Aboveworld
Like Father, Like Son
What Lurks Beneath
Memento Mortuis
Epilogue

Forever Property

725 62 4
Autorstwa moonkeeper

Chloe was on her knees. Blood pounded in her head as she stared down at the cobblestones. The slavers clicking filled her ears and rain ran down her dirty face in the place of tears. Shakily she got to her feet. She was alone - a lamb in the wolf's den. A slaver cracked a whip in warning. She remembered well the lash of a whip.

She'd assaulted a demon at her second prison camp. The beast had taken a swipe at a child - one of its claws raking the little boy down the face splitting a gaping seam down his cheek. She'd knocked out one of its fangs - the force had cracked her knuckles. The shrieking creature had set upon her. She'd pulled the child under her and covered the poor crying infant - bracing herself so that she didn't crush him as each vicious lash cracked against her spine.

She counted the slavers surrounding her. This body had never been whipped - it was scar free and unbranded. She stood with calm dignity."Don't let your intentions show on your face." She remembered the advice her instructor had given her. "You're a pretty girl - they won't be expecting your skill - use that to your advantage." It seemed a life time ago that she'd been Chloe Wilder - personal bodyguard for the Prime Minister. In a way it was a life time - this was her second life, this time playing the part of Lauren Fox - former lover of the world's most evil man.

She kicked back and her foot collided with the nearest slaver. The impact juddered down her leg and the creature was sent sprawling backwards. Furious clicking filled the air as the slavers closed in on her. She fought but ultimately it ended with her on the ground - beneath the lash of a whip once more. She held still - her blood mixing with the mud and clenched her hands into fists. The blood continued to pound in her head and she trembled as adrenaline coursed through her.

They dragged her back onto the auction platform. The crowd muttered, buzzing like bees and there was an air of excitement and curiosity. Chloe glared up at the bidders staring down at her from the balconies. She hunched her shoulders defensively and held her chin high as the bidding commenced. A shock bid sent a thrill across the courtyard. Chloe's stomach tightened. The crowd took a long time to settle down and Chloe could feel the many eyes following her as she was led away.

In this smaller courtyard her gaze snapped to a piece of equipment she recognised. She gritted her teeth, fighting to contain the violent shaking as her muscles spasmed in fear. Clawed hands firmly held her right arm locked in place. Chloe scrunched her eyes shut and a whimper escaped her clenched teeth. Her ears were ringing, her head had begun to swim and her stomach to rise and fall like the stormy sea by the time they finished their crude tattoo. She looked down at her new branding. The large R stood out bloody and swollen on her pale wrist - claiming her forever as the property of Ezra Ryder, head of European Slave Trade Company.

The vehicle they were transporting her in was crackling with magic. Chloe's breath fogged before her blue tinged lips and she stared with wild, frantic eyes at the black ice. She covered the bloody branding on her wrist with her hand. The skin throbbed painfully - still ablaze and sweat gleamed on her forehead, soaking into her greasy hair. They'd shut the doors and then blue flames had resonated through the walls. She'd expected them to burn and not to bite.

Gritting her teeth she got to her feet. Doors sealed shut with ice - it was fairy tale. Tears gathered in her emerald eyes. She'd fought at the fall of London. She'd seen the frozen dead walk. A tear spilled over her lashes and rolled down her bruised cheek. She gasped, her trembling breath catching in her throat. Suddenly she punched at the black ice. It was tomb - a tomb of winter and loneliness. Excruciating pain made her bend over, cradling her hand.

Screaming she set upon the ice hacking at it with her bare fists. Hot blood oozed between her fingers and down her swollen wrists. Moaning, she sank to the ground. The truck swerved and she caught herself - a soft whimper escaping her lips. Panting raggedly for breath she wrapped her arms around her knees. She was trapped. She was enslaved once more. She rested her forehead against her knees. This time she'd lost her face also. Or perhaps her mind.

Ryder's heart hammered painfully in his chest. He ran his fingers through his hair - pushing the dark strands distractedly out of his face. His bedroom door opened and Elle stepped inside, her expression grim.

"She's here." Ryder nodded. He pulled his battered jacket over his bare chest. The muscles in his ripped abdomen rippled with his movements - the jackets lining whispering against his hard skin. They exited the room together, heavy boots smacking against the concrete flooring. The air outside was cool and the base was packed with people coming and going. He marched briskly, his gaze never flickering left or right to the slave quarters. Resentful gazes followed him - eyes hungry with bloodlust and hatred.

The van was up ahead, slowing as it entered the base. Doubt crept and clawed like ice through his veins. The bases' gates closed shut - blue magic crackling through the mesh of wiring. Elle's warm arm brushed against his as they walked. Two of his brothers put their palms against the vans doors - breaking the seal. Ryder's breath caught in his throat as the vans doors opened. His dark gaze rested on her at last and his blood boiled, searing at his flesh - pain lancing his heart.

He gritted his teeth, his hands curling into trembling fists at his side. He watched her gaze scan the men ushering her from the van, her distrust evident. She jumped down, landing awkwardly before straightening. Ryder could feel the rapid pounding of his heart like the beatings of the drum against his ear. The sun caught her lank hair, causing the golden strands hidden amongst the brown to shine. She raised her hand to push her hair out of her eyes and Ryder caught a glimpse of her scraped and bloody knuckles.

His legs kept walking - though he could no longer feel his feet touching the ground. Bruises covered her body, her lip was split and her clothing was dark and damp from blood steins. She must be in pain. Her head turned and Ryder quickly looked away. He followed Elle's lead passed the van and toward his office. His senses tingled like the current through a hot wire as he passed within a couple of feet of her. He couldn't breath - his every nerve aware of her presence. He half feared - half hoped that she would try to speak with him. But...nothing.

She ignored him as equally as he ignored her. Ryder's heart felt like it was splintering, blood pouring from the dark and damaged pieces. He couldn't deny that even after everything - he still loved this woman. She'd conquered him - stolen his heart and soul just as surely as she'd nearly destroyed them almost a year ago.

Elle said nothing as they fled to his office. Ryder ignored all calls for his intention, glaring intensely as they marched through the waiting room. He slammed his office door shut behind them before sagging defeatedly into a chair, panting for breath. Elle remained by the door - her expression sympathetic. She didn't ask why Ryder didn't want to speak with his new prisoner - didn't pass judgement as Ryder agonised over his failing courage.

Thorn pulled back the locks of her cell, the scrape of metal alerting her so that Chloe was stood stiffly in the centre of the room as the door swung open. He hesitated for a moment and stared at her. The guards had put her in a solitary cell. It was clean and even had a small high window. Chloe met his gaze, her lips parted in surprise at the sight of his face - a cool expressionless mask marred with a web of grotesque scars that caused his lip to drag down on one side. She quickly allowed her hair to spill over her face as a shield between them.

He didn't say anything as he turned and marched down the corridor. He heard the patter of her feet as she followed after him. He expected her to speak but she remained silent as he led her out into the fresh air. He took her to the infirmary and stopped before an empty bed. She looked up at him- checking his intention. Slowly she clambered onto the bed. Thorn watched her intently. Her injured hands gripped the underside of the bed and she sat stiffly - ready to leap off at any moment.

Chloe's quick gaze scanned the room. The other patients were all dressed in uniforms. She was the only slave in the room.

"Why am I here?"

"You're injured." Thorn stated - his expression unreadable. Chloe looked up at him and then quickly looked away.

"I'm a slave." She replied. Thorn remained silent. "What's going to happen to me?" There was a fragile edge to her voice. Thorn breathed deeply through his nose. The doctor approached them.

"Let's take a look at you then." Chloe tensed as the doctor reached out for her.

"How is she?" Ryder asked Thorn a couple of hours later in his office. Ryder kept his head down, feigning intense interest in his laptop.

"She'll heal. Doc says she's fit to work." There was a question in his voice.

"I haven't decided about that yet." Ryder glared at the screen. After a couple of minutes he groaned and pushed away from the desk - tilting his head back to look up at the ceiling. "How is she?" Thorn knew that he wasn't talking about her injuries now.

"She's changed." There was a lengthy pause during which Thorn's sharp gaze never left Ryder's face.

"More words please."

"She's scared. She talks less," Thorn hesitated, "she doesn't like being touched." Ryder sank his head into his hands. More mysteries - the woman with a thousand secrets now had even more.

Days passed by. Chloe was visited regularly with food and Thorn came once a day to walk her around the base.

"When will I join them?" She'd asked - referring to the slaves that peered through the wire fences at her. Thorn didn't answer. He hadn't said a word to her since that first day. She tugged on Thorn's sleeve. "Does Ryder know I'm here?" Thorn remained expressionless. "Please I need to speak with him." Thorn turned away and continued walking. Chloe grinded her teeth in frustration - glaring at the giant's broad back. Making a rash decision she made to run off but she'd barely made two strides when Thorn's hands encased her. Chloe screamed as he hoisted her up onto his shoulder. She kept shrieking and thrashing as he carried her back to her cell.

Night fell. Thorn stood still as a stature the other side of the cell door - listening intently. Sighing he rested his head against the heavy door. The bell rang signalling the shift change. Thorn's scarred jaw twitched. He pushed the grill aside to look into the room. She'd fallen asleep. As softly as possible he pushed the door open and approached her. She didn't stir. He gazed down at her as she snuggled against her bedding. When he left a chill seemed to creep into the room. Chloe frowned in her sleep, shivering against the cold.

When Chloe awoke her throat was burning and her head throbbed with a dull ache. She got up slowly, feeling fragile, and looked across the room to see if she had any water left. The gloom shifted slightly. She stiffened, staring into the shadows until gradually her eyes adjusted. She sat up quickly - her back pressed up against the wall as she attempted to create space between her and the stranger. Her gaze flickered across to the shut door.

"I heard you wanted to see me," purred a deep male voice. He stepped out the shadows and Chloe was able to see his face. She got to her feet - standing on her bed so that she towered over him. "Aren't you happy now?" His tone was sharp and Chloe clenched her hands into fists.

"How long have you been standing there?" Her voice was raspy. He stepped closer so that his shins were touching the side of the bed.

"What do you want Lauren?" His eyes were hard and cold. Chloe bit the inside of her cheek - thinking - and moving suddenly, she threw her arms around him. Ryder froze, his eyes wide in surprise. Chloe held him tightly - her body locked and stiff against his.

"I feared you wouldn't come." She whispered. Ryder struggled. His heart was hammering in his chest and conflicting emotions raged through him. She was dangerous. He couldn't trust her. She'd betray him, make him weak - break his heart even more completely then before. He breathed in the scent of her hair and groaned. His arms encircled her, crushing her against him. This woman was poison - but still he wanted more. Her breathing picked up and he could feel her heart hammering against his chest.

"Why?" His voice shook - he had so many questions. She'd betrayed him - why? What had he done wrong?

"I need you," she pulled back and reluctantly he let her. She looked down at him and he clenched the cheap material of her tunic as he remembered the last time those eyes had looked down upon him. "You're the only person who can protect me." The light faded from his eyes. He seemed to sag as he let his arms drop back to his sides.

"Yes that sounds like you - always using me." She tightened her grip.

"No I didn't mean it to sound like that." He gripped her wrists and pulled her arms from his neck. Chloe hissed as his frozen finger tips bit her skin.

"Do you care for me?"

"Yes." He read her panicked gaze and it was like a knife being twisted in his heart. He flung her from him.

"You're lying." She leapt off the bed to stand between him and the door.

"No I'm not! I swear I'm not!"

"ENOUGH!" She flinched at his roar. His nostrils flared angrily and his obsidian eyes blazed with an intensity that made her tremble. "I can tell - remember?" Chloe gazed up at him blankly before her eyes widened with understanding. He has the power to detect lies. Shit. He dodged passed her and made for the door. She reached out for his jacket but he pushed her aside and slammed the door shut behind him.

"I thought you loved me!" She screamed accusingly. Ryder closed his eyes and leant against the wall - his legs too weak to walk.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

10.2K 1.1K 40
Book Five of the Werewolf Keeper series. Vampires Jordan and Lucjan take over the city of Gomorrah but at a terrible price. Angry and alone, the warl...
21.3K 1.8K 38
Book Four of the Werewolf Keeper Series. In parting, the Grim Reaper gave Lauren an unwelcome gift. A lingering kiss. She might be back from the dea...
48K 3K 35
Book three to becoming Luna. Read becoming luna first then finally queen.
5.6K 260 25
For centuries, hunters have searched persistently for the demons of the night: vampires. What happens when both vampires and hunters have to join tog...