Legends Lost: Galdin

By JanetMcNulty

When darkness looms And all is gloom Two will rise Bearing the mark combined. One, the phoenix dwells within ... More

Legends Lost: Galdin (Prologue)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Gladin (Book 1, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter 1)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapte XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter I)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book3, Chapter II)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter III)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter IV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter V)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter VII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter VIII))
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter IX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter X)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XIV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XV)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVI)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XVIII)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book, Chapter XIX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 3, Chapter XX)
Legends Lost: Galdin (Epilogue)

Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter IV)

191 10 0
By JanetMcNulty

Note: This is the 4th chapter in my fantasy novel, Legends Lost: Galdin. There are 52 chapters total and I will post 1 chapter every Friday. But if you wish to read the entire book now, it is available for purchase on Amazon, iBookstore, Kobo, B&N, and Smashwords.

Chapter IV

Pras'quel

Land approached. Excitement filled Nylana as she stood on the topmost deck observing the men work while they steered the ship into port.

"Reef the sails," ordered the captain. "Secure the lines!"

Men darted about rolling up the mainsail and hoisting lines. Nylana watched in awe finding the sailors' actions fascinating. Gradually, the ship turned to the right as it eased into the dock.

"Drop the port anchor!"

The men released the anchor chain dropping the anchor to the sandy bottom and hold the ship.

"Here," the captain tossed a line to a passing sailor, "Secure us to the dock."

The man caught the rope and scrambled to the pier fastening it tightly.

"Fetch the princess' belongings," ordered the captain. He turned to Nylana with a broad smile. "My lady, welcome to Pras'quel."

The captain led Nylana to the ramp that connected to the pier. Gracefully, she stepped onto it maintaining her balance as best she could. Willing her sea legs to grow accustomed to dry land, Nylana strolled down the wharf to a waiting area.

An elegant carriage pulled up stopping directly in front of her. The door opened. Out stepped a man finely dressed in shimmering black robes bowing low before her.

"Lady Nylana, I am Welton, advisor to the king. The king apologizes for not welcoming you personally, but alas, he had matters to attend. Will you allow me to accompany you?"

"Thank you, Welton. Your company will be most appreciated," Nylana replied.

Welton flicked his hand. Instantly, two men snatched up her trunks and hoisted them onto the top of the carriage.

The snap of a whip caught Nylana's attention. She turned in its direction and watched as a group of ragged men in chains were shoved forward. Slaves, she thought. The whip cracked again. One man bore its wrath and crumpled in pain. Disgusted, Nylana bit her tongue to remain silent. Alone and on a mission, she could ill afford to anger anyone.

"Is something wrong, my lady?' Welton held the door to the carriage for her.

"Just the awe of a new place," said Nylana, trying her best to sound joyful. She motioned for those that accompanied her to fall in behind the carriage.

"Before you leave here, it will be as much your home as it is mine."

Welton helped Nylana into the carriage and climbed in behind. They sat opposite each other. With a snap of the reins, the carriage ambled away from the pier and to the road out of the port city heading for the castle.

The coach rocked side to side as it rolled along the bumpy road. Nylana passed the time by staring out the window. Much of the landscape reminded her of home, but without the magic; the flowers held no song and the trees glared at her.

Another whip startled her. They had come upon a group of people travelling by foot. More slaves. Nylana did her best to remain impassive as they passed groups of men, women, and children all chained together and forced to march barefoot. Hatred rose within her.

The wet eyes of a child stared hollowly at her. Moved, Nylana swallowed the lump in her throat forcing herself to control her emotions. One in particular drew her attention.

"That one," blurted Nylana, unable to contain herself, "He is an elf!"

Welton glanced out the window. "By Jove, you are right. He is an elf."

"I was not aware that elves lived in Pras'quel."

"They don't," said Welton, "But occasionally one thinks he can venture here. Vile creatures the lot of them. Always using their magic to influence people. Apparently, this one got caught. A life of servitude will benefit him."

"The elves are our allies in Tesnayr," said Nylana.

"My apologies, my lady. I forgot that they lived there and that you had to deal with such a disdainful race daily."

Nylana squeezed her hands until they turned white. She fought the urge to kick the man and knock his condescending tone out of him.

"Does such treatment bother you?" Welton asked, his face turning to concern.

Nylana eyed the man. Welton appeared genuinely troubled that what she witnessed on the road might have upset her sensibilities. No doubt he was to make certain I arrived in prime condition, she thought to herself. Not wanting to cause a diplomatic blunder, she decided to bury her feelings.

"It seems senseless to walk your slaves to their destination. They might die before they get there," Nylana said.

Welton beamed. "I like how your mind works. I shall bring this matter to the king."

Nylana smiled stoically at him still wrestling with the urge to kick him.

Late in the evening they pulled into the castle grounds. The long journey had tired Nylana and she looked forward to a hot meal and a warm bed that did not bounce with the motions of the sea. The carriage rolled through the open gate and into the courtyard in the waning light of the sun.

"We are here," said Welton. He opened the door and held his hand out for her.

Gracefully, Nylana took it allowing him to assist her as she stepped out of the carriage. She studied the black walls of the castle with specks of gold light in the window as a wave of homesickness wafted over her.

"Boy!"

A young lad of about ten years ran up to Welton.

"Take the princess to her chambers." Welton turned to Nylana. "I hope you will enjoy your stay with us, my lady."

"I wish to meet with your king as soon as possible."

"Indeed, my lady, but he is busy and unable to meet with you today. Tomorrow shall be soon enough. But you and your party are free to wander as you please. Think of this place as a home away from home."

"Thank you, sir." Nylana followed the young boy as he led her through the castle entrance and into a long corridor. The guards and maid whom had accompanied her trailed behind. They wound their way through the maze of dimly lit hallways. Nylana marveled at how the boy kept his bearings as she had already gotten confused.

"Here," said the boy, pointing to a door.

Nylana entered with her entourage. The dreary room did little to lift her spirits. It had been elegantly decorated, but the sparse light gave it a depressing atmosphere.

"There will be nothing else, thank you," Nylana dismissed the boy.

She removed her cloak and gloves with a frown not liking the situation. Not only had the king not greeted her, but now she had been shut away in a room and brushed aside.

* * *

Narúl gently untangled the book from Artryl's limp fingers as he admired the sleeping boy. Thirteen years old and so eager, he thought. In the weeks that Nylana had been gone, Narúl taught the boy how to read marveling at his ability to learn quickly.

Gingerly, Narúl tucked a blanket around Artryl. In the morning he would start his lessons. Narúl had managed to convince the drill master of the palace guard to allow Artryl to join.

Clacking heels on the stone courtyard outside pulled Narúl from his thoughts. He doused the lamp as he opened his door a crack. Krispyn hurried through the darkness being careful to avoid detection. What is the king up to?

Curious, Narúl slipped through the door and followed. He kept to the darkest shadows walking noiselessly with all the skill of his training. Though he knew the king could do as he pleased, Narúl thought it strange that Krispyn would be out at this hour without a guard. He peeked around a corner.

He watched as Krispyn ducked behind a wagon out of sight of the guards at the gate. Once past, he darted through the gates and into the city streets. Narúl started to follow.

"MEOW!"

Nylana's cat jumped off the rafters above Narúl, onto his shoulders before leaping to the ground and running away. Startled, Narúl lost sight of Krispyn. "Stupid cat."

Knowing he would never find the man, Narúl walked back to his quarters. Though he knew that it wasn't unusual for members of the royal family to sneak into the city without their escort, he thought Krispyn's actions strange. Krispyn had never shown any interest in the people before. Shrugging his shoulders, he chalked it up to being Nylana's influence winning out.

Narúl reentered his small room. One quick glance and a soft snore told him that Artryl still slept peacefully. Tired, Narúl sat in a chair and drifted off.

* * *

Bored, Nylana wandered through the garden at the castle. Dead plants greeted her everywhere. Frustration coursed through her veins. For days she had requested to see the king; each request unheeded. All of her inquiries remained unanswered.

She strolled through the dismal orchard wondering where the gardener was. Dried flowers and rotting trees filled the area. She listened for the birds, but heard nothing; not even a cricket. Uneasiness welled within her.

Fed up, Nylana turned to march straight for the king's chambers running straight into Welton.

"My lady," he said in false greeting, "What a pleasure to see you."

"I found myself in need of some air," answered Nylana, masking her surprise at seeing Welton.

"Yes, well, I must insist that you stay inside."

"It was my understanding that I had free run of the castle."

"You do," said Welton, "But there is unrest in the kingdom and some fool might take a chance on your life. For your own protection, I must insist. I'm sure you understand."

"When will I be allowed to meet with the king?" asked Nylana, "The sooner we can conclude our business the sooner I can be on my way."

"Soon, my lady. But the king has found himself immersed in other unfortunate business. Believe me, your concerns are his top priority. Now, I must insist that you remain inside."

Welton waved his hand and two palace guards appeared. "Escort the princess back to her chambers. Ensure she arrives there safely."

Nylana smiled sweetly. "I understand completely. Thank you for your consideration." She allowed the men to take her back to what had now become her prison.

* * *

Narúl crept through the hall of the castle to the secluded area that the note had asked him to come. Meet me at the west tower by nine. Puzzled as to why someone would want to meet him there, he made certain to be on time.

Torches lit the way. No matter; Narúl knew his way through the palace of Norlyk well. He paused when he reached the meeting area. No one was there.

Disappointed, Narúl searched the area for signs that anyone had been there. Could I be late? He stood in a corner waiting for the mysterious note writer to show up. Nothing. Frustrated, Narúl prepared to leave when a voice stopped him.

"You're early."

"I prefer punctuality," said Narúl. "Why did you ask me here?"

"Because Nylana is in trouble and needs your help."

"How do you know this?"

"I know a lot of things," said the voice, "There isn't time to waste. Something lurks within the lands of Tesnayr and wishes to be rid of your lady. You must go to her in Pras'quel and see to it that she returns safely."

"I do not like taking secrets from some mysterious voice. Step into the light."

Slowly, a shadowy shape appeared in the torchlight. It sat on its haunches wrapping its tail around itself.

"Magi," said Narúl, recognizing Nylana's cat "Is this a joke?"

"Hardly," answered Magi. "Yes, I talk and have for some time. Explanations are best saved for later. There is a boat headed to Pras'quel soon. You must be on it."

"Do you know who is behind this plot to harm Nylana?"

"No, but someone in this palace wishes her dead. Now go."

"How do I know I can trust you?"

"Have I ever given you reason not to?" asked Magi.

"I will go as you ask," said Narúl, "But if you have lied to me, I will be back for your head."

"Fair enough," said Magi. The cat scurried away.

Narúl hurried down the stairs leading out of the tower. He made a quick stop in his room. Throwing a few necessary items in a bag, he dashed out the door and headed for the docks.

Narúl found the first available ship for Pras'quel and bartered passage. The captain of the ship agreed to let him work in exchange for his way across and he would have to sleep with the animals. Narúl didn't care. Only Nylana mattered. Narúl stepped on the plank before catching sight of a familiar shape.

"What are you doing here?" he demanded of Artryl.

Hesitantly, the boy stepped out of hiding. "I followed you."

"Go back to the castle."

"If Nylana is in trouble, I want to help."

"How did you-" Realizing that Artryl had managed to overhear his conversation with Magi dawned on him. Clearly, the boy was skilled at trailing others unnoticed. "Go back."

"But I can help," pleaded Artryl.

"You there!" A man rushed toward Narúl. "Take the boy back to the palace and see that he stays there."

The man grasped Artryl by the shoulder and steered him away from the docks. Disappointed, the boy allowed himself to be pulled away.

Shaking his head, Narúl boarded the ship hoping he wasn't too late to help Nylana.

Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300 63 29
In a world where select few can manipulate Yin and Yang energy, equilibrium has been maintained by fair treatment to users of both sides. In recent y...
2.9K 65 17
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
145K 3.2K 23
(Y/n) was a simplistic girl living in a town full of abnormal things which consists of heroes and villains. Her parents always kept her out of harms...
231K 13.3K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...