Brothers Forever

By KJColton

(Completed!) Greyson and Sterling Hayes are brothers. They’re different in many ways, but they have always be... More

1. Get Your Head Out of the Gutter
2. Dude, What's Your Problem?
3. My Best Friend is Checking Me Out
4. Time to Stop Running
5. What are you a Care Bear?
7. That Was Pathetic, Dude
8. Quite Frankly
9. I'd Rather Make Out With a Dog
10. The Likes of Me
11. The Most Awkward Car Ride Ever
12. I Will Haunt You
13. We'll Finish This Another Time
14. You Know You Love Me
15. Off In Lala Land
16. You Got This
17. You Belong With Me
18. What's Your Favorite Animal?
19. Can I Ask You Something?
20. Dramn Dinks
21. You Don't Remember Anything?
22. Nothing's Going On
23. I Think I Like It
24. That Thing Is Huge
25. I'll Surprise You
26. Will You Come With Me?
27. You Stupid Boy
28. Sleeping Beauty
29. Hell Yes
30. I Love You

6. Took You Long Enough

2.1K 46 37
By KJColton

Chapter 6: Took You Long Enough

Sterling’s Point of View

My brother is a douche bag. He acts like he has to do everything for Brennan. She is capable of taking care of herself. He seems to think Bren is so naïve and innocent that she’d do anything with a guy that would give her the time of day. He may be her best friend, but he doesn’t seem to know her that well. Bren can’t be pushed into anything, believe me.

I looked around my room in search of something to do. My eyes eventually landed on a basketball hiding in a corner; perfect. I texted a couple of my friends to meet at a local park and changed into some athletic shorts. I grabbed the basketball and my keys and headed out to my truck.

After basketball I came home and took a quick shower and then made some lunch. Then I went up to my room and immersed myself in Call of Duty for a while.

I didn’t realize how long I had been playing until I glanced at my phone when it started ringing. How the hell is it already nine?

“Hello,” I answered.

“Hey Sterling, do you know where Grey is? I tried calling him and texting him, but he never responded,” Bren said, her voice slightly wavering.

“I’ll check if he’s here,” I told her as I got up off the bed. “Are you alright, Bren?”

 “I’m fine,” she answered a bit too quickly. Did she really think I was going to fall for that?

I opened Grey’s door and he wasn’t in there, but I did find his phone. I looked around the rest of the house and didn’t see him anywhere.

“He isn’t here, Bren. He did leave his phone here though, which is why he didn’t respond.”

“Okay, thanks Sterling,” she replied quietly.

“Brennan, I know something’s wrong. We’re friends now, right? How about you tell me about it?” I suggested.

“I’d rather not talk about it like this; not over the phone.”

“Then I’ll be over in ten minutes, okay?”

I hung up the phone before she could tell me not to. I had barely climbed into my truck when I received another call from her. I reluctantly answered it, but I knew she wouldn’t tell me not to come if I was already on my way. She was too nice for her own good sometimes.

“Hello,” I answered for the second time.

“Sterling, you really don’t have to come over. I’m fine,” Bren insisted.

“Well, I’m already on my way.”

“Fine, but you’re going to have to sneak in. My dad’s home,” she gave in after a moment. “You can just climb up the— ”

“Bren, I know how to sneak into your room. I’ve done it before, remember?” I reminded her as I smiled slightly to myself. 

“Well, see you soon then I guess.”

“Yes, you will,” I told her suggestively. I heard a slight laugh before she hung up.    

***

I eventually made it up the tree to Bren’s window, but it was way more difficult than I remembered.

“Bren!” I called out quietly as I tapped the window.

I heard her footsteps as she made her way to the window and softly opened it.

“Took you long enough.” she smirked. I had forgotten how sexy that smirk made her look. 

“Shut up,” I muttered as I pulled myself through the window.

I looked around her room. The walls were now a pale green, but otherwise it was basically the same. She still had that same ridiculously small bed. Her dresser was still in the same spot, but there was a new flat screen TV perched above it.  Her full length mirror was still full of pictures. I grinned when I realized that the pictures of us were still up there as well.

“What are you smiling about?” Brennan asked me with a slight frown, interrupting my scope of her room.

“Nothing,” I said quickly and plopped down on her bed. “So, what’s up?”

She looked at me sitting there hesitantly for a moment, before sitting down beside me. We sat there like that in a comfortable silence for a few moments before she finally spoke.

“My dad’s an idiot.”

"We all know that,” I said causing her to laugh a bit, but then added gently, “What did he do this time?”

“Well, he told me had a surprise for me when I came home. I figured he just meant one of the stupid presents he always buys for me. He seems to think that expensive gifts will make up for the fact that he’s gone all the time.” She paused for a moment. “Anyway, I was wrong. He had me sit down at the kitchen table like he always does when he wants to talk about something important. He proceeded to tell me that he was engaged. Apparently, he had been dating this woman for over a year now. He said he didn’t want to tell me unless it got serious.”

Bren didn’t look at me when she finished. She stared fixedly at the floor instead. I placed my arm around her and pulled her into a hug without saying a word.

“Why does he do stuff like this to me?” She asked me quietly, her head on my chest.

“He thought he was protecting you. He didn’t want you to get attached to this lady if she wasn’t going to be around I’m guessing.”

“I’m not five anymore. Why does everyone think I’m a child? I’m almost seventeen years old,” Bren said bitterly as she tilted her head, so her blue eyes met mine.

“Your dad knows that, he just doesn’t want you to see you hurt again. It’s his weird way of showing he loves you. Even if it seems like the opposite sometimes,” I replied in a soothing voice.

“I wasn’t just talking about my dad,” she said as she lowered her eyes once again.

“Are you talking about me?” I asked confused.

“No, just forget it okay?” Bren responded as she pulled away and looked at me. “You’re actually one of the few people who realize that I’m capable of taking care of myself.”

“I used to know you pretty well, remember? I knew you like the back of my hand, and not just emotionally either,” I told her with a smirk.

“You always know how to make me feel better, Sterling.” She laughed and smacked my arm playfully.

 “Really? This wasn’t the way I usually went about it…”

“You’re horrible, you know that right?” She asked with a grin.

“Ouch. I think that’s the first time I’ve been told that,” I replied with a wink, causing her to laugh harder as she shook her head.

“Brennan, what is all that noise in there? You don’t have someone over do you?” Her dad called through the door.

She sent me a panicked look and I darted quietly to her closet. I managed to close the door just as her father opened hers.

“Brennan?” he said again as he walked into the room.

"Sorry Dad, I was on the phone. I’ll try to be quieter,” she replied quickly. She’s obviously gotten much better at lying, she actually sounded believable.

“Okay, just remember that you’re not allowed to have people in the house without permission. I know I may not be home all the time, but I still expect you to follow the rules. Alright?” he told her sternly.

“I know Dad.”

“Oh and remember that we have that breakfast in the morning. You need to be ready by eight,” he added.

“Alright, goodnight Dad,” Bren responded in a tight voice.

“Goodnight, Brennan.”

I waited for a moment after the door closed just to be safe. “That was a close one.”

“Yes, it was,” she agreed.

“I guess I’ll just get going. I don’t want to get you into any trouble,” I told her as I started to head towards the window.

“Wait, Sterling! Can you stay for a while? We can watch a movie or something. I’m not going to be able to fall asleep for a while,” Bren asked me, eyes pleading.

 I raised an eyebrow as I turned to look at her, but said, “Sure.”

***

“Brennan, it’s time to—what the hell is this?”

I opened my eyes to see Bren’s angry father at the door. I looked around and realized I was in Bren’s room. I must have fallen asleep watching the movie. I looked down and saw Bren was sprawled across my chest. This did not look good.

“I’m sorry, sir. This really isn’t what it looks like,” I said as I gently pushed Bren off of me and hopped out of the bed, causing her to wake up.

“Just leave! I will be talking to your parents about this one,” he told me with narrowed eyes.

“Wait, what’s going on?” Bren asked looking between her father and me, still disoriented with sleep.

“I fell asleep here last night. Sorry,” I apologized as I nervously rubbed the back of my neck.

“Leave. Now!” her dad told me again. “Brennan, get ready and then we are going to talk about this!"

I didn’t hesitate to get out of there this time. I found myself saying strings of curse words the whole way home. Why did I have to fall asleep there and get Bren in trouble? I’m truly an idiot. I walked in the door, forgetting completely that I didn’t tell my parents I left last night.

“Bren’s father called us, Sterling,” I heard my mom say sharply as soon as I closed the front door. Her and my father were sitting in the living room with stern looks on their faces. This was going to be a great day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 621 16
|~ COMPLETED ~| [#3 under #brannie, #8 under #bratayley !] Annie and Brennan have known each other for a long time, and are friends. Of course, over...
2.4M 42.8K 49
"Please don't leave." he pleaded. His once arrogant, obnoxious, confident gaze looked so vulnerable, helpless and most of all like the young little b...
931 40 33
Lacey has a best friend, Ava, she has a brother. Ava's brother is best friends with Lacey's boyfriend. What happens when Lacey falls in love her bo...
4.5M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...