The Bleeding Heart

Від AlySimmons

Five years ago, war had suffocated the citizens of Orion, leaving them scarred for a very long time. And whe... Більше

The Bleeding Heart
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 11

359 9 3
Від AlySimmons

On the side is Nicole Gale Anderson as Princess Erielle Cornwall! =)))

The Bleeding Heart

Chapter 11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom!” an eight year old girl sprinted through the halls of the castle, wanting to reach her mother.  “Mommy!”

“Nadyn,” Christie Jameson knelt down, opening her arms to the little girl.  Young Nadyn smiled brightly at her mother, “The cocoon of the caterpillar just hatched, Mommy!  And then there was this beautiful butterfly.  It was blue and green and yellow with tiny blackish spots!  It was so pretty!”

“Really now,” Christie smiled, patting Nadyn on the head.  “Well that’s great.  You’ve been waiting for some time now to see a butterfly come out of the cocoon, haven’t you?”

“Yes, Mommy.”

“But honey,” Christie said.  “You should never run around and shout in the halls of the castle.  It is distracting to those who are working and to the royal family.”  And for the first time, Christie motioned the presence of then Princess Elizabeth Cornwall.

“Oh,” Nadyn quickly stepped out of her mother’s embrace and curtsied.  “Pardon me, your Highness.”

“Oh, it’s fine,” Riza waved her hand and knelt down to Nadyn’s level.

“Careful, Princess,” Christie cautioned her, motioning to her swelling stomach.

“Don’t worry,” Riza said dismissively, patting Nadyn on the head and then caressing her cheek.  Nadyn gave her a toothy grin, enjoying the cuddle greatly.  She had always liked Princess Riza.  “And Christie, let Nadyn have her fun.  It gets quite lonely and quiet in the castle and I’m certain that the others would appreciate the little antics of children.”

Christie nodded, “Well…”

Riza winked at the little girl, “And besides, this little baby in my tummy would need a lively playmate, now wouldn’t he?”

Nadyn jumped in excitement and clapped her hands.  Christie and Riza laughed, with the former saying, “If your Highness puts it that way…”

“Playmate!” Nadyn cheerfully exclaimed.  “I get a playmate!”

Christie then wrapped her arms around her daughter and lifted her up, kissing her lightly on the nose causing Nadyn to giggle.  “Nadyn would get her playmate soon, won’t she, your Highness?”

Riza nodded, laughing, “Yes, just nine weeks more.  For now, why don’t we have some tea?  I have just asked Reena to get some oatmeal cookies.  They’re your favorite, aren’t they, Nadyn?”

“Yes!” Nadyn nodded furiously.  “Oatmeal Cookies!”

“Come, little one,” Christie coddled.  “Let’s get you something to eat.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was Nadyn’s last memory of her mother before she was pierced in the heart by an arrow that evening.  But young Nadyn Jameson wasn’t told of her passing until days later when the Princess Riza told her.  She didn’t cry that time because she knew almost nothing of death; or maybe it was because of shock?  She didn’t know.

The princess had told her that she’d try her best to be her mother now that Christie Jameson was gone.  It was only after a few weeks later that Nadyn realized that she was alone.  Her father died when she was four because of an ailment that had been rampaging in their home village at that time.  And despite having then Princess Riza’s love and kindness, she could not feel more lonely and afraid.  She never knew why her mother was shot and she had been afraid to ask, afraid of the horrors that she’d face when she did.  Even until now, at twenty-six years old, she was horrified and traumatized.  Deep inside, she still was the young, innocent Nadyn Jameson, orphaned at the age of eight, not wanting to know the nightmares of reality.

When she turned eleven, Nadyn had the sudden urge to become a healer.  She had suspicions that maybe, the thought of becoming a healer had already been at the back of her mind.  She also thought that her mother’s death played a role in that decision as well.  When she told Riza Cornwall who at that time was just crowned Queen of Orion, Riza was ecstatic.  She immediately let her be taken under Lady Rosietta’s wing, who was a famous female doctor during that time. 

Nadyn spent seven years under her tutelage, learning about the different herbs and medical instruments and techniques.  Lady Rosietta lived in the Kingdom of Titus, a neighboring kingdom of Orion.  Nadyn felt a bit relieved in her seven year stay there.  Lady Rosietta had been very kind and understanding towards her and for some time, Nadyn felt the pain and loneliness caused by her mother’s death shift gradually, the forcefulness of its entity in her soul lessening and slowly fading.  The lady doctor often praised her for her practical thinking and quick mind.  She always said that Nadyn was one of the best students she’s ever taught and was honored to have had the privilege of being called her teacher.  Queen Riza had been very impressed and satisfied with what she had learned and become upon her return to Orion.

A year later, however, she once again felt the ache in her heart.  And it felt right to leave Orion once again.  She spent the next year in Lady Rosietta’s home, becoming her assistant in both teaching and healing.  In some cases, the lady doctor let Nadyn handle the situation herself with promising results.  When she heard of the war between Orion and Aria, she wanted to go back, to make sure that Queen Riza who had so kind to her was alright and alive.  Quite a selfish reason to return but that was what was on her mind all throughout the war.  Lady Rosietta advised against her decision to return for fear of losing the young woman.  She asked her to stay, at least until the battles have toned down.

She went back to Orion months later, only to find it in ruins.  She was relieved that the royal family, especially Queen Riza was safe.  But her heart broke upon seeing the people who had been victims of the war.  It ached her far more than her mother’s death has and the guilt of not returning when she was needed ate her soul and conscience. 

She sent a letter to Lady Rosietta immediately, stating that she’s come to terms with her ghosts and that there’s a high possibility that she wouldn’t be returning to Titus.  She had decided to stay in Orion and help the victims and the sick.  She went from village to village, travelling for a year and later settled back into the palace, serving as the doctor for the female nobles, including the queen and the princess.

It was automatic for Nadyn as she made the poultice for Elysia Scott’s wound.  It was bad but not as bad as everyone would have thought.  The sword was already out of her chest and Elysia Scott was very fortunate that the sword missed her heart.  She had already cleansed the wound with wine.  As she lay the poultice atop of the wound, she wrapped the white linen cloth tightly around her chest.  The lady knight was already stripped off her armor with only her undergarments serving as clothes.  When the injury on her chest had been taken care of, Nadyn went on to the gash by her shoulder.  She was amused at the improvised dressing the knight made and threw the torn cloth soaked with dry blood into the garbage bin.  She proceeded to cleanse the wound and applied a generous dip of lemon balm to help keep the infections away.  Only then did she wrap a linen cloth around the injury. 

Nadyn, satisfied with her handiwork, put some warm clothes on Elysia and wrapped her body with the blankets.  Elysia had a bit of a fever because of the wounds and so, to cool her down, Nadyn placed a wet towel on her forehead and finally let Elysia rest peacefully, going to the other parts of the infirmary, helping out the other doctors who were treating the other injured knights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“de Roquefort,” General Lance Bale called her as the said knight walked towards the barracks, wiping the tears that were flowing from her eyes.

“General,” she saluted half-heartedly.

“Well, I may not know what’s going on with you but you’re definitely in no condition to fight this battle,” the general said softly.  “You’ll be taking bodyguard duty, is that clear?”

Veronica stood up straight and nodded sharply, “Sir.”

“Go to the shelter beneath the Royal Academy.  I’ve assigned other knights to station there as well,” he ordered.  “Now go.”

Veronica nodded again, saluted, and then ran off.

The general looked over to his side where a lieutenant stood, “Get Head Scholar Bale from the Royal Academy to the bridging room.  Tell him that we need to fix this problem of an attack and tell him to bring any other person he thinks will be necessary for this meeting.”

“And the advisers?” the lieutenant asked.  “Shall I call them as well?”

“Screw them,” General Bale gritted his teeth.   “The only thing they’ll do in there is whine and complain and I’ve had enough of those when I’m in a court meeting.”

“Yes, sir.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“Rosaria Fauste,” Gwyneth mused as she leaned against the bookshelf of the library, holding a book.  “Born in the year 1968 to Lord Athurio Regent and Lady Cecilia Regent, both of whom were notable members of the 18th Royal Court of Aria which was under the rule of King Desmond Fauste II.  She was a woman of grace, elegance, eloquence and poise – a perfect princess, one would assume.”

“She got married at the tender age of sixteen,” Eugenie continued.  “And she gave birth to her first child in 1985 who is the Crown Prince of Aria, Prince Eric Fauste, who is almost twenty-seven years old.”

“I beg to disagree with your statement, Gwyneth,” Adrian said.  “A perfect princess?  I don’t think so.”

“Do elaborate,” Eugenie crossed her arms.

“I’ve heard stories about her, you know,” Adrian started.  “She’s a rebel, Queen Rosaria.  She never wanted to marry King Edric but was only forced to since it’s been arranged by their parents.”

“Arranged marriages happen all the time, Adrian.  Our own king and queen were married based on an agreement settled by their parents.  And it’s not unusual to not like who you’re supposed to marry.” Gwyneth said.  “I don’t think I understand your point in this.”

Adrian explained, “Queen Rosaria was said to have had a relationship with someone below her status.  And so, naturally, with parents as stereotypical as hers, she and King Edric got married years too early.  And therefore, my point in all this is that –”

“She might have committed suicide,” Eugenie spoke up.  “But if that’s what you mean, they why now?  Why wait 27 years?”

“Well, if you think about it,” Adrian said.  “The peace envoys we sent were the perfect excuse.  She gets to escape from a nightmare of a marriage and gets to use Orion as a scapegoat.  It’s the perfect suicide without anyone ever suspecting it’s one.”

“Ok, now I see your point,” Gwyneth looked thoughtful.  “But even then…I feel as if she’s been murdered, that she did not take her own life.”

“She couldn’t have acted out her death that well, could she?” Eugenie asked.  “I mean, with how Veronica described it…”

Adrian only shrugged, “If you all thought she was the ‘perfect princess’, then she must have been a great actress.  She could’ve dramatized her own death well enough.  I know that she’s a rebel.  It was a large issue 2 decades ago.  And I know that at that time, I wasn’t even born yet but the maids and other ladies in court really don’t know how to keep their mouths shut.”

“It’s not that we doubt your sources, Adrian,” Eugenie told him.  “We don’t doubt the truth behind that information either, well for the most part, anyway.  But…suicide…I don’t know.”

“Hm…maybe,” Gwyneth started when suddenly they heard the furious ringing of bells and honking of horns. 

“An ambush…” Adrian muttered.  “Arians….shit.”

“We need to get to the shelter,” Eugenie said.  “Now.”

“Wait a minute,” Gwyneth grabbed a few books and turned around to face Eugenie’s and Adrian’s skeptical looks.  “What?”

Eugenie sighed, “Never mind,” She grabbed her cousin’s hand impatiently and started to sprint towards the door with Adrian following in tow.  “Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Erielle watched as William struggled to move and open his eyes.  She sat beside his bed, her hand resting on his arm, as if trying to soothe him.

Will tried to focus his line of sight and finally settled on his sister’s face, “Eri…”

Erielle gave him a small smile, “Hey there, Sleepyhead.”

Will looked around, taking in the sight of his room – the satin curtain that hung from the tall windows, the beige walls with intricate designs, his personal ornaments and knick-knacks.  And he jolted suddenly, “Erielle…the ambush…Aria!”

“Don’t move, Will,” Erielle placed a hand over his shoulder.  “It’s not healthy.”

“W-what happened?” Will cringed as pain shot through his body.  “Last I remembered…I…”

“You were injured, Will,” Erielle said softly.  “You passed out righter after you crossed the castle gates.”

“I can see that,” Will replied snidely.  “I remember…there’s….shit!  Elysia!  What happened to her?  She was – was pierced through the heart…”

“Lis is fine,” Erielle assured him.  “Don’t worry.  I just talked to the doctor.  She said that Lis was really fortunate that the sword missed her heart by a few inches and that she’s recuperating and is going to be okay.”

Will sighed, “That’s a relief,” and then paused.  “Don’t tell me ‘I told you so’, Eri.  I’m not in the mood.”

“I wasn’t going to,” Erielle told him. 

Will looked at her for a moment, scrutinizing her facial expression and turned his head towards the window, away from her, “I know you’re hiding something, Erielle.  I can feel it so just tell me.”

Erielle had her eyes fixed on her hands on her lap, swallowing slowly.  Then Anne suddenly burst into the room.  “I do apologize for the lack of formalities, but the king has ordered for both of you to evacuate to the shelter immediately,” she panted.

“Evacuate to the shelter?!” Will exclaimed.  “Erielle!  What on earth –?”

“We’re under attack, Will,” Erielle said, shaking.  “The Arians attacked us soon after you guys came in.”

“Erielle,” Anne said softly.  “William, we have to go now.  All the guards have already been tasked to border the kingdom.  And Queen Riza is on her way to the shelter, so to speak.”

“This is…” William stared down on his duvets horrified.  “This is all my fault…”

“No, Will!” Erielle immediately stood up.  “This isn’t your fault!”

But Will had a hand covering half of his face, his head shaking vigorously, his other hand clutching the blankets tightly, “I…I…This is…Orion…”

“Will!” Erielle started shaking his shoulders.  “Stop!”

“I…I…”

“William!”

“Shut up!” Will suddenly elbowed Erielle and she fell to the floor, staring at her brother, terrified.

“Erielle!” Anne rushed to her aid, kneeling beside her.

“Erielle…” Will looked at her, terrified himself.  “I-I…I’m sorry…I…”

Anne helped the princess up who had a pitiful expression on her face, “It’s fine, Will.  You just have to know that what’s happening is not your fault, okay?  It’s not your fault.”

“We need to go to the shelter, now,” Anne reiterated.

“Yes, of course,” Erielle nodded, extending a hand towards her brother.  “Will, let’s go.”

Will looked at Erielle’s hand then towards the window.  He closed his eyes for a while and slowly grasped Erielle’s hand, “Okay.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“Bradley!” Arden gasped as Franchesca stirred her horse towards the front lines.  “You–”

“Francisco Conrad’s dead, Major,” Franchesca took a place beside Major Arden Levi, giving him the news in a soft voice.  “I thought you’d ought to know.”

Arden’s eyes widened, the grip on the hilt of his sword tightening, “Damn it.”

“I told de Roquefort to sit this out,” Franchesca kept her eyes on the open pathway as Arians charged to attack.  “She can’t fight in the state she’s in.”

“You and Conrad were friends, Bradley,” Arden told her.  “You sure you don’t want to sit this out too?”

“My exact sentiments to you, Major,” Franchesca retorted. 

“Then you shouldn’t have told me he died,” Arden gritted his teeth, waiting for the signal to attack impatiently.

“People are different, Major,” Franchesca explained hurriedly, getting her two swords (Elixir and another one she got from the barracks) out of their hilts.  “I just happen to know how to read them well and you’re no exception, sir.”

“Bradley?” Arden looked at her, confused.

Franchesca only gave him a knowing smile, “Heads up, Major.  Go and get them.”

Just as she said that, Brigadier General Louie Petersen, with Keith Raleigh beside him, lifted his sword high up in the air and yelled, “For Orion!  Attack!”

Ardem gave a sharp nod her way before gripping on the reins of his horse and galloped through the fields to intercept the Arian troops.  Franchesca smiled to herself a little before following his lead. 

It was instant bloodshed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“Mother!” Erielle gasped as she saw her mother sitting in one of the chairs inside the shelter.   The shelter was an underground space beneath the castle grounds.  There were five shelters all over the castle.  One was beneath the gardens, one beneath the Royal Academy, one beneath the clearing just before the entrance of the forest, one beneath the stables and one beneath the maids’ chambers.

“Oh, thank God!” Queen Riza said, standing up, moving to hug both her children.  “I thought that something might have happened to you.  What took you so long?”

“I apologize, my Queen,” Anne bowed.  “It is my fault.”

“No, it’s not,” Will said, casting Anne a knowing look.

“William, I’m glad to see that you’re ok.  I’m just so sorry I couldn’t be there to attend to you – ”

“It’s fine, Mother, I understand,” William smiled softly, nodding.  “And I’m so sorry I caused all of this.”

“It’s not yours to blame, son,” Riza caressed her son’s cheek.  “You tried to do the right thing and Orion thanks you for that.”

“Hmm…” William mused.  “Where’s father?”

“He’s at the bridging room,” Riza said, shaking her head sadly.  “He refused to come.”

“Duty,” Will nodded understandingly.  “Don’t worry, he knows what he’s doing.”

“I know,” Riza said, smiling. 

“Erielle?” A new voice came from behind them.

They turned their direction towards the three who entered the shelter.  “Adrian!” Erielle exclaimed.

“My Queen,” Adrian swiftly bowed when he noticed the presence of Queen Riza.

“Oh, Adrian,” Riza gave him a quick hug.  “It’s a relief to have you here again, despite the present circumstances.”

“It is really good to see you again, my Queen,” Adrian agreed.  Queen Riza then directed her line of sight to Eugenie and Gwyneth while Adrian started to have a conversation with Erielle, Will and Anne.

“Your Highness,” Eugenie and Gwyneth bowed as a sign of respect.

“Scholars, I presume?” Riza said.

“Yes, my Queen,” Eugenie nodded.  “I am Eugenie Rennes and this is my cousin, Gwyneth Markham.”

“Ah yes,” Riza nodded.  “I have heard of you both but never had the honor of meeting you.  This is such an inappropriate time and place to practice formalities so I can only hope that we’ll meet again in a much more lovely setting.”

“We’ll be looking forward to it, my Queen,” Gwyneth smiled, nodding once.

Then suddenly, the shelter door opened, revealing a knight, “I have received a message from the bridging room.”

Eugenie, who had been the closest to the door, reached out for the message and took the liberty to scan its contents, with Gwyneth looking over her shoulder.

“What is it?” Queen Riza asked.

Eugenie looked at her, “We are to report to the bridging room.”

“We?” Queen Riza looked confused.

“I apologize for our sudden departure, my Queen,” Eugenie said, handing the message to the queen.  “But Head Scholar Bale requested our presence immediately.”

The queen read swiftly and nodded her head, “Of course.”

“Adrian!” Eugenie called for his attention.  Adrian looked up, seemingly oblivious to the order.  “We have to go to the bridging room now.”

“Now?” Adrian asked with Erielle by his side, looking worried.

“Now,” Eugenie and Gwyneth said together.

“My Queen, Prince William and Princess Erielle,” Eugenie bade.  “We will take our leave now.”

The three smiled and nodded as Adrian, Eugenie and Gwyneth went out of the shelter.

Erielle sat on the chair, her eyes never leaving the door of the shelter, her hand clutching her skirt tightly while Anne gently put a hand on the princess’ shoulder, smiling at the fact of how adorable the princess looked when she’s jealous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Franchesca Bradley never wanted to hurt, let alone injure people in any way.  But she felt it was her duty to defend and protect her kingdom.  She had been one of the first female knights to enter the military, becoming a lady knight even before Veronica and Elysia did.  She didn’t know why but she never took a liking to dresses and heels and make-up and all those girly things, which was very surprising since she grew up with three older sisters and just one younger brother. 

Well, Franchesca Bradley’s different and she didn’t have a problem with that.

The knights had a problem with her, though, when she first entered the military with seven other women.  They ridiculed them and teased them, treated them like worthless dirt.  The women proved them wrong with their skills that were, if not better that the men’s then at least in par with theirs.

Franchesca had an outstanding ability to balance herself on her horse without holding the reins, giving her efficient use of both hands to handle the two swords which she did excellently.  Her arms and hands were unstoppable in their job as her attacks on the Arians were countless. 

Six people beheaded.

Eight people pierced through the heart.

Fourteen people with large, gaping gashes across their bodies.

Nine people thrown off their horses.

And those attacks came from her left hand.  Imagine the destruction she caused with her more powerful right hand – the attacks were countless. 

Franchesca Bradley was a godsend.  And her being female made her all the more dangerous.

 But of course, Franchesca had her lumbering moments.  An Arian was able to elbow her on the face.  She cringed from the impact but was still able to balance herself on Coriolis, her horse.  The elbowing left her a throbbing headache, nosebleed and a revelation of her gender.

The attacker was taken aback, as well as the other Arians who had surrounded her.  “Shit, you’re a girl?!”

“Yes, I’m a girl,” Franchesca smirked, wiping the blood off of her face with the back of her gloved hand.  “But I warn you, don’t go easy on me.”

With that, she pierced the one who elbowed her through the chest.  He fell off the horse and his head slammed onto the rocks.  Dead.

And the battle resumed.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

7.3M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
178K 8.8K 50
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
Overrid Від Nail

Фентезі

82.5K 744 12
အသက်ရွယ်ကန့်သက်ချက်တွေ လွန်လွန်ကြူးကြူးပါဝင်လို့ ကိုယ့်ဟာကိုယ် ဆင်ခြင်ဖတ်ပါ။
839K 29.2K 104
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...