Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 27 Trial and error

679 55 9
By the_hooded_girl

Vara smiled politely as she walked on Cicero's arm. Iason was trailing not far behind the pair. Now that the king had assigned her a guard, she could fulfil her promise to the Horos heir about spending time with him. For now, they were simply taking a walk in the gardens.

"I'm glad you have found the time to remember your promise," Cicero grinned at her.

Vara answered him in the same manner, playful yet courteous. "If I had known you were so eager to see me, I would have made more haste."

It made him laugh. "I will remember that for the next time."

Vara eyed him amused. "You are very presumptuous. You assume there will be a next time. I only agreed to this one time."

He placed a hand over his chest mockingly. "You caught me, my lady. I was aiming for many times. That is why I spoke to you that first time. To win you over with my charming personality."

"Hm," Vara mused, "you never did tell me why you addressed me." She glanced at him.

Cicero grinned playfully. "Truthfully? It was a dare."

It made her laugh. "Well. I am glad to hear I am so frightening that you need a challenge to speak to me. But I must say, I had pegged you for a braver man."

Cicero's face turned sour. "I would appreciate you didn't bruise my ego any further, my lady. I do have some pride."

"It was not my intention to offend you. If anything, I should be offended to be the object of a bet. What if I may ask, would you suffer had you not addressed me?"

"I would have to suffer the company of Callista's cousin for the day."

"So it was one woman over the other?" Vara raised an eyebrow, "hardly a sacrifice."

Cicero smiled wryly. "You have not met Callista's cousin. If you had, you would see my reasoning."

"Well," Vara answered dryly, "it is good to know that it wasn't my company you were searching, but rather her company you were avoiding."

Cicero chuckled and eyed her amused. "If I didn't know any better, my lady, I would say you are disappointed. I thought this was merely an arrangement, a promise I extracted for winning a bet."

"Is that so?" Vara retorted, "I was under the impression you wished to present yourself. If it is favor you are seeking, mocking me is not in your best interest."

"You wound me, my lady," Cicero said, "I have the best intentions. I thought you rather enjoyed a spar of the tongues." He smirked at the implication of his words.

Vara was about to give him a sharp reply when Iason cleared his throat. "Lady Vara, forgive me for interrupting, but lord Caius is expecting you. I am afraid we must go."

Cicero cast him an amused smile before turning to Vara again. "Your guard seems worried, my lady. Should I fear his sword? Please assure him I am no threat to your virtue."

"It is the king you need to convince," Vara told him, "he is the one that insisted I take a guard before meeting with you."

Cicero's smile turned wry. "I will have to try harder then to come into his good graces." He took Vara's hand and kissed it. "Until then, my lady. Please put in a good word for me with His Majesty." He smiled. "I very much enjoyed your company. I do hope I will get another chance to meet with you."

Vara smiled politely. "We will see. I wish you a good day."

He bowed and walked away.

Vara waited until he was out of hearing before turning to Iason. "Thank you," she said, "if you hadn't spoken up, I would have probably slapped him."

Iason inclined his head. "It's what I am here for, my lady, to see to your safety. That included presumptuous suitors." A small smile appeared on his lips. "Though I am certain you could have gotten rid of him yourself." He would have enjoyed watching that slap she had mentioned. The past few days that he had served as her guard he had discovered she was quite unusual. There was a mischievous streak in her that wasn't very lady-like, and had already proven to be a trial to him too, but he could appreciate it nonetheless. He had allowed himself to be less formal around her than he had been at the start, though he never forgot his place.

Vara answered his smile. "You are probably right. Though he didn't seem the type to be easily discouraged. Besides, I don't think the king would be very pleased with me if I upset the Horos family. Cicero's father owns many ships and we need those ships to guard our ocean borders."

Iason nodded in understanding. It made sense. An engagement between the king's daughter and the Horos heir would ensure lord Horos' support. Prince Cyrus had married lady Ariane for political reasons. It was only expected lady Vara do the same. "Will he make the announcement soon?" he asked. He wondered if he would be relieved from his duties as lady Vara's guard once she was married. Would he be sent back to the front with the other soldiers?

Vara eyed him amused. "I am not engaged."

Iason blinked surprised. "Forgive me, my lady, I assumed."

"Vara," Vara corrected him, "it is true that I will marry, but it won't be for a while and no arrangements have been made. I only met with lord Cicero today because of an agreement." She forced out a smile. "Though I suppose he is not bad company." She stopped in front of a large set of doors and knocked. A servant allowed them entrance and Vara went to greet lord Caius and lady Eurydice.

Iason bowed deeply for the former king and his wife and took up position at the wall.

Eurydice smiled warmly and hugged Vara tightly. "So you have finally decided to visit us," she scolded lightly, but there was a twinkle in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Vara apologized, "I have been wanting to visit."

Eurydice smiled. "Don't feel guilty, child, I know Ophelia was here and that you had a meeting with young Cicero."

Caius cleared his throat and looked at Vara sternly. "I do hope you are not considering wedding him, Vara. I don't know what Marcos was thinking, allowing him to see you. It is no secret that he likes to gamble. Word has spread that he already gambled away his inheritance. His father is not pleased." Caius moved a piece in the lantruculi board in front of him. "He is trying to marry off his son into a wealthy family. What better candidate than the king's daughter?"

Vara tilted her head. "I have said nothing about marrying Cicero. Though I don't mind his company. He is... entertaining."

Eurydice let out a sad sigh. "I now you are in a hurry to marry and escape the palace, Vara, but don't rush into things. There is still time." She took Vara's hand and patted it. "You are like my own grandchild. I want you to be happy." She sighed. "If only Titus had lived. Then you and Cyrus would have been free to marry."

"But he did not live," Vara stated calmly, "and Cyrus will be king. He has a duty towards the kingdom. I know this."

At his spot against the wall, Iason had stiffened at the course of the conversation. Of course he had heard rumors concerning prince Cyrus and lady Vara, but he had never paid them much attention. He didn't like listening to gossip. But now... were the rumors actually true?

Caius had noticed Iason's reaction and narrowed his eyes at the young man. "You!" he called, "not a word of what is being said here leaves this room. You hear me, soldier? If I hear anything repeated I will have your head. Do I make myself clear?"

Iason looked at him with a serious expression and bowed deeply. "My lord, I was tasked with the protection of lady Vara. That includes keeping her from anything that may compromise her. I take my duties very seriously."

Caius regarded him with an amused expression. "A simple 'yes' would have sufficed."

Iason cleared his throat and kept his eyes on the ground. "My lord," he muttered awkwardly.

Eurydice smiled to herself as Vara's cheeks turned bright red. She looked at her husband. "I think I like this one," she said, "our son made a good choice. He will keep Vara out of trouble."

Vara gave an undignified huff. "I don't get in trouble... that much..."

"Hm," Caius hummed amused, "well then. Let's use your talent for trouble to solve some more trouble. Tell me, Vara, when our new allies have revealed secret passages in the mountains, what does that tell us?"

Vara turned to him. "That they have probably used these passages to travel in and out of Zeir. Should we be worried, my lord?" She moved a piece on the board.

Caius stared at the move a moment before countering. He waved his hand dismissively. "Tireze needs our aid too much to betray us. Balor had been hungrily eyeing their borders for years and famine and sickness have weakened them even more. But I am sure they have used these passages to their advantage and gather information before allying with us."

"Is the king going to take any actions?" Vara sked.

Caius raised an eyebrow. "Should he?" he questioned, curious at her answer.

"Another nation infiltrating without our knowledge?" Vara answered while placing another piece on the board, "I would at least demand answers. Who knows what they'll use against us."

Caius captured her piece between two of his own. "Put your feelings against prince Darius aside, child. A ruler needs to be objective. He can't let negative emotions influence him."

"A ruler also needs to be cautious," Vara countered. She placed another stone on the board. "He should inquire after the matter." She watched as Caius captured another one of her pieces.

"And if the matter has been settled?" Caius watched her carefully.

Vara moved a piece. "Have the passages guarded, just in case."

Iason watched concerned as another one of Vara's pieces was captured. Did she even know the purpose of this game? It was no wonder Cicero had managed to trick her into meeting with him.

Caius raised an eyebrow. "Risk insulting king Xerex? What would he think if we suddenly doubled our guard at his borders when we are at war with Balor?"

Vara smiled innocently and placed another piece on the board. "The key is not to make him realize what we are doing. But we can't just ignore what we have learned. We are only strengthening our position."

Caius frowned at the board. He moved his hand to place one of his pieces, but retreated. His hand moved towards another piece and paused again, a frustrated expression on his face.

Iason too looked at the setting stunned. With what little pieces Vara had left, she had somehow managed to make sure Caius would not be able to make another move. He had backed himself in a corner. With one final strike, Vara could capture all of his pieces. He had been so busy with capturing hers that he hadn't noticed the trap.

"Hn," Caius said somewhat annoyed, but clearly also slightly impressed, "you have a mind for strategy, child. If only you could learn to be more diplomatic. You and Cyrus would make a formidable team. You would be a good advisor."

Vara looked away. "I think not, my lord. He has a council for that and once I marry, I will leave the palace."

"We can arrange for lodgings in the city, child. I know my son would agree."

Vara smiled politely. "We will see."

"Yes," Caius mused, "we will indeed." He waved his hand. "Leave us now, child. I need time to recover from my loss."

Vara looked at him worried. She knew he didn't care about losing a simple game, but he did look tired. She glanced at lady Eurydice. The old woman gave her a sad smile. "Go Vara. Visit us again soon."

Vara nodded and stood up. She kissed Cyrus' grandparents goodbye and left the room. Iason followed her quietly. He seemed to be in deep thought and Vara sighed. "Go ahead," she said, "ask."

"It is not my place..."

"Don't," Vara cut him off. She looked at him with a glare in her eyes. "I know you wonder. Ask."

Iason bit his lip. "You and prince Cyrus, my lady..."

"Vara," Vara corrected him.

"Vara," Iason complied, "are the rumors true?"

"That depends on the rumor," Vara stated casually.

Iason sighed. She wasn't going to make this easy, was she? "You love him," he said. He thought back on that day he found her crying. Cyrus' wedding day. Now he knew the reason. But it was something lady Eurydice had said that made things fall into place. "And he loves you." The realization stunned him. And the implications worried him. Rumors were bad enough, but if they would be confirmed it would mean disaster. "But you are his sister."

"Not by blood," Vara answered annoyed, "and not by choice."

"But still," Iason continued, "you carry the Aurelios' name now." He felt sorry for her, but even if her name did not matter, her background did. As she had said, she was just a village girl with nothing to offer. And Cyrus was the crown prince.

"Why do you think I want to marry?" Vara asked stiffly, "when I am away, he will focus on Ariane. The kingdom needs stability. There is no use pining after something that can never be."

Iason gave her a look full of sympathy, but he knew that she was right. They needed allies.

"Tell me something about yourself," Vara suddenly said, uncomfortable with the look he was giving her, "I hardly know a thing about you. Do you have siblings?"

Iason frowned at the sudden question and thought for a moment. He knew she only meant it as a distraction, but he did not mind telling her about his family. "I grew up in a small town near the Tireze border. Lord Valerus was our overseer. We were fortunate enough to own some land where we could hold animals. Still, it wasn't enough to support us, so I signed up to becoming a soldier."

"Does your father have an heir to take over? With you in the army, I mean."

Iason nodded. "I have a brother who is two years older. One younger brother by three years. He is a scholar. He writes me to keep me informed."

"How long since you've been home?" Vara asked quietly.

Iason gave her a sad smile. "Six years."

"You must miss them," Vara said, "why did you not go home when you were injured? Why did you come here?"

"The barracks are my home now, my lady," Iason answered her, "and as long as my king does not give me permission to leave, this is where I will stay. I swore to serve the kingdom. And serve it I will. Whether here or at the front."

"That doesn't seem right," Vara said. She shook her head. "No. I can't allow that. You said lord Valerus was your overseer. He is Iolaus' father. His sisters are my friends. I will visit them. And since you are my guard, you must accompany me. I will make sure you can visit your family."

Iason blinked at her. She would do that? For him? Why? He was no one to her, only her guard. They barely knew each other.

Vara noticed his confusion and cast a rueful smile. "I have to admit, it is not for completely selfless reasons. I want to leave this place. The palace is suffocating. It is a good excuse to visit my friends. And with you at my side to protect me, how can the king have any objections?"

***

"Absolutely not!" The king looked at her sternly, "I can't believe you are even suggesting it."

Vara stared at him. "It is only to Valais. Iolaus' sisters are my friends. You have assigned me a guard to protect me. The Southern roads are safe for travel. Why would I not go?"

King Marcos rubbed his temple. It had only been a handful of weeks that Cyrus had left. He had not expected the girl to get restless this soon. Perhaps it was because Ophelia had returned home. Perhaps she wanted to avoid the attention from the young men that still resided at court. However the case, he would not let her leave, not so far from the palace. Not now. "Valais is too close to the border," he answered.

"Tireze is our ally," Vara said confused, "and it is far from the Balor border. There is no danger." She paused a moment, "my king," she said stiffly, "are you under the impression I'm planning to travel to Tireze?"

King Marcos narrowed his eyes. "The thought had crossed my mind, but I reckon you are more sensible than that. We have an agreement, Vara, you are to stay here for as long as Cyrus is away. I cannot risk both of you leaving. If something happens to you, the kingdom will be without an heir."

"If something were to happen to Cyrus now, the kingdom would still be without an heir!" Vara yelled, "you promised the throne to my firstborn! For there to be a firstborn, I would have to marry first! But instead, you have me wait!"

The king glared at her furiously. "You know exactly why!"

Vara gritted her teeth. "If you are so concerned I will get involved with your son, then why not simply sent me far away? It is most unfortunate the king of Lavos only has daughters. Unless of course you plan to marry me off to one of the Balor tribes."

The king's eyes steeled over and he looked at her coldly. "Speak to me like that again and I might consider it."

Vara stiffened. She could tell from his expression that he meant it, but she couldn't stop herself. "Perhaps then you should let me marry Iason instead. Then you can have me guarded every minute of the day."

Iason flinched and the king directed his attention to him. "Out!" he barked at the young soldier, "you can wait outside!"

Iason's eyes moved to Vara. He was nervous and not comfortable leaving her.

"That's an order, boy!" king Marcos yelled.

Iason bowed deeply and retreated towards the hallway. This was still his king, and disobeying would only make matters worse.

The door fell shut behind him. He could still hear Vara and king Marcos arguing, but the thick wood of the door blocked out the words. He wondered if he should worry for Vara's safety. Surely the king would not harm her?

It grew quiet in the room and just when Iason debated if he should go in, the door opened and Vara almost collided with him. He gave her a worried look. Her expression was closed off and she wasn't looking at him. In her hands he noticed a stack of papers.

She walked away from him towards her chambers and Iason hurried after her.

"Are you alright?" he asked concerned. Had the king sent her away? Was he that angry?

"I'm fine," Vara said quietly. She noticed his eyes were on the papers in her hands and she smiled wryly. "Requests to the king to court me," she explained, "he told me to read them and decide on what to do."

"He... wants you to decide on who to marry?"

Vara sighed. "Basically, though there will be no wedding for at least a year."

He wondered why the king would make her wait so long, but didn't dare ask.

She bit her lip and glanced at him. "I apologize for what I said... about marrying you so you could watch me. It was uncalled for. This is not your fault."

Once again he was stunned that she would apologize. "It's quite alright," he told her, "I was just surprised." A faint smile tugged at his lips. "Perhaps I should feel flattered that my lady even considered me."

"Perhaps?" Vara quirked an eyebrow and gave him an unamused look, but Iason knew her well enough to know she was merely teasing, so he dared to tease right back.

"Well," he said, "there is the matter of me guarding you. You are enough of a trial as my charge. Imagine what I'd have to suffer if you were my wife."

The laughter that came from her lips after his comment was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 57 8
It was a beautiful beginning. She was a precious princess who was treasured by her father. Her life should have been filled with beauty, without wint...
560K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
6.8K 261 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...