The Wolf Inside - A Naruto Fa...

By BlueNinetails

****Winner of the Most Popular Naruto Fanfic Watty Award 2013/14**** **Currently being rewritten as the origi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
A Small Note, to the New Readers :)
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 --Super Chapter--
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80

Chapter 38

54.4K 1.3K 944
By BlueNinetails

Edited 22/04/2019

Ashley's POV

I watch on with interest as Shizune focuses on the fish in front of her, standing behind a large examining table with a mess of medical tools strewn across it. Beads of sweat drip down the side of her face as she concentrates, her palms pressed against the fish's scales and green chakra surrounding hands.

Behind me, Lady Tsunade is seated at another desk, slowly flicking through a large book. Piles of other books lay all around her, some yet to be opened and some only half read.

"This Jutsu really takes a lot of chakra huh?" I ask Shizune, to which the woman just nods her head, focused.

"It's not really the chakra that's the problem" Lady Tsunade speaks up distractedly, eyes not leaving her book. "It's a very complex procedure, but with so many different types of cells to regenerate......Skin, organs, muscular...."

"It's difficult to activate them all at once" Shizune sighs tiredly, a troubled look on her face as the fish on the table ceases to move. "If it was just regenerating cells singularly, this would be a very simple procedure."

My brows furrow in concern, as Shizune turns to take another live fish from the aquarium near her.

After Lady Tsunade had visited Lee at the hospital, she hadn't seemed very confident about healing him, which had surprised me. Sh had briefly explained the procedure to me, though I'd hardly understood what she'd meant.

I may be able to perform low level healing techniques, but this is on a totally different level. If even Lady Tsunade thinks its difficult.....

I've been dropping in every now and then while the new Hokage and Shizune have been researching ways to heal Lee, though I find the interesting part to be when they practice the procedures on fish. I still don't fully understand how they're going to heal Lee, but it is pretty cool to watch.

Luckily, Lady Tsunade seems to like me, so she doesn't mind too much when I come in and watch what she and Shizune are doing. I don't plan on ever become a Medic though, no matter how much Kakashi Sensei tries to persuade me to....

I stare at the new fish as a worn out, yet determined, Shizune tries again, green chakra surrounding her hands. I feel a prick of sadness in my chest, remembering how I'd heard the Medic at the Preliminaries say that Lee would never be a Ninja due to his severe injuries.

It didn't seem fair. Sure, Lee was weird and I hadn't initially liked him that much. But I've slowly seen that he is kind and honest, selfless and hard working. He just wanted to be a great Ninja and from what I've heard from others, he had struggled and strived to reach that goal.

"Don't worry Ashley" Shizune speaks up, having noticed the look on my face. "Lady Tsunade and I will figure this out, even if it takes one year, two years or even longer! We'll keep fighting to find the right procedure and heal Lee!"

I stare at Shizune as she looks to me with a determined smile, feeling touched by her resolve for some reason. After a few moments, I turn away from the table and smirk to myself as I head for the door.

"Hn" I scoff, pulling the door open. "I wasn't even worried about that."

Lady Tsunade glances at me briefly, a knowing look on her face, before she turns back to her book and I leave the room, smiling to myself.

"Are all Leaf Ninja so generous?" I ask myself rhetorically, shaking my head in wonder.

I feel strangely satisfied in hearing Shizune's words though, despite this situation having nothing to do with me. Is this what it means to have friends?

"Ah, Ashley-chan!" a voice calls, as soon as I step out into the street.

I look to my right, only to see Neji and Lee walking towards me, with the latter stumbling hurriedly on his wooden crutch.

"Good evening!" Lee adds cheerfully, coming to a stop in front of me.

"Ah Lee, Neji" I greet. "Hello."

"Good evening" Neji responds politely, though he doesn't smile. I imagine he's thrilled to currently be Lee's babysitter. Even on crutches I bet Lee's far too energetic.

"It has been awhile" Lee points out, a friendly grin on his face. "Where are you heading this evening?"

"Actually, I was just leaving the Hokage Tower" I answer, pointing over my shoulder with my thumb. "I've been visiting it a lot to see......Um...."

"Hm?" Lee asks, tilting his head, a question mark appearing above it.

I sweat drop, feeling somewhat embarrassed, although I'm not really sure why. I still seem to have a hard time admitting out loud when I do things concerning others...

"I've uh, been visiting Lady Tsunade a lot recently" I explain, looking off to the side to avoid maintaining eye contact with either Lee or Neji. "To see how they're going with figuring out a way to heal you...."

Lee and Neji both stare at me in silence for a few moments, apparently shocked by what I had inferred.

"You're worried?" Neji double checks, a faint smile appearing on his face, to which I scowl into the distance.

"Ashley-chan" Lee says affectionately, his eyes sparkling. "Please do not worry about me. I am certain that Lady Tsunade will be able to help!"

I glance shyly at Lee and rub the back of my neck, feeling a little awkward, though I can't help smiling.

"I hope so" I admit, to which Lee closes his eyes and beams at me, with Neji trying to hide the approving look on his face. "I-I mean, I know they'll be able to help! They're currently working on a procedure called Cell Reactivation Jutsu. They'll have to use their chakra to stimulate the cells to regener-"

I am cut off as Lee suddenly lets go of his crutch and stumbles forwards, enveloping me in a grateful hug. I take a step back as the full weight of an injured Lee bares down on me, Neji moving forwards to catch his teammate if necessary.

"Uh, Lee-"

"Thank you for worrying about me Ashley-chan" Lee cuts me off. "I am happy to know that my friends care about me, even when I am injured. With the power of youth and the support of my friends, I will recover in no time, I am certain of it!"

I can't help but give a quiet laugh, amused by Lee's positivity, as I lightly pat him on the back, not really sure what to do.

"Lee" Neji interrupts in a low voice, picking up the wooden crutch that had fallen. "We need to keep going. We were supposed to meet Guy Sensei and Tenten fifteen minutes ago."

"Ah yes!" Lee suddenly shouts, abruptly leaning back from me and almost falling over in the process. "We must not keep them waiting any longer! Farewell Ashley-chan, we will see you another time! Let us go Neji!"

Neji heaves a sigh, a deadpan expression on his face as watches Lee hobble off in a hurry. He shakes his head a few times, to which I giggle again.

"I almost feel sorry for you" I tease, only to receive a very blank stare from Neji.

"You have no idea" is all the Hyuga tells me, as he raises one hand in a goodbye and follows after his eager teammate.

I watch as the two of them disappear into the streets, my eyes hooded and a content smile on my face. Even Neji seems to be a little less cold these days. If I'm right, he interrupted Lee's hug because he could see how uncertain I felt about it.

'Or maybe I'm just imagining things' I think to myself, turning in the opposite direction to head home for the evening.

Kakashi's POV

I knock on the door to Lady Tsunade's office, sighing heavily. What a day it had been.

My four students may not have realised that I knew they were following me all day, but none of them are particularly good at stealth. Though Ashley and Sasuke have moments where they show promise for stealth, today was not one of those days.

I think they'd been trying to follow me to see what's under my mask, but their ways of going about finding out had been.....unorthodox to say the least.

"Yes, come in!" a voice calls, causing me to straighten up.

I push the door open and enter the small room, only to find Kurenai and Asuma standing before Lady Tsunade, suspicious looks on their faces. I didn't know why I'd been summoned to the Hokage's office and it looks like they didn't either.

"So, Lady Fifth" Kurenai address the woman seated behind the desk as soon as I close the door. "Why have you summoned the three of us here? It must be important to gather three elite Jonin like this."

"You're right" Tsunade nods, leaning forwards in her chair and folding her hands in front of her mouth, elbows resting on the edge of her desk. "I've got an interesting mission for you and your teams."

"And our teams?" Asuma repeats, taking the cigarette out of his mouth. "You want us all to go on a mission together?"

"That's right" Tsunade agrees mysteriously.

"Well, that ought to be interesting" Asuma comments sarcastically, not sounding eager about it in the slightest.

"No disrespect Milady" I speak up, "But could we just cut to the chase? What's the mission and why are three teams of Genin being sent on it together?"

"Having so many people on a mission together, let alone Genin" Kurenai sighs, "Is going to make it hard to complete."

"I have my reasons for this decision" Tsunade states sharply, her brows furrowing slightly at our lack of enthusiasm. "At first I was just going to send Team Eight and Team Ten, as I believe this mission may require more than one four man squad. Then I decided that Kakashi's team may benefit from this mission as well, considering where it is situated."

My interest is piqued at that statement, though I don't say anything, as it doesn't seem that Lady Tsunade is done talking yet.

"I don't think adding one more squad to this mission will hinder it at all" the blonde woman continues, picking up a document and quickly scanning it. "This mission is at most, a B Rank mission. From what I've read about all of your team members, I don't you should have any issues."

"This could turn into a B Rank mission?" I ask dubiously. "Should we really be sending our Genin out on B Rank missions?"

"None of our teams have been officially sent on B Ranks before Milady" Asuma informs the Hokage, only for her to wave her hand dismissively.

"I've seen what the young generation of this Village can do" she insists confidently. "And besides, as of this moment, the mission is merely a C Rank......Our resources have been stretched thin since Orochimaru attacked the Village. You all know that."

Kurenai, Asuma and I all exchange uncertain looks, though none of us question the Hokage's decision. We're all aware of the temper she has.

"Uh, Lady Fifth?" I address. "Why do you think that my team particularly will benefit from this mission?"

Tsunade narrows her eyes slightly at me, as if in thought.

"......To be specific" she says slowly, "I believe it may benefit one of the members of your squad in particular."

Ashley's POV

"What?!" Naruto shouts in protest. "We have to go on a mission with all of them?!"

Kiba smirks as Naruto jabs a hand first at Team Eight, before waving it in Team Ten's directions, to which Ino rolls her eyes.

"Arf!" Akamaru barks with excitement, jumping down from Kiba's head and running over to me. He stands on his hind legs and places his front paws on my knee, barking.

I glance down at the pup for a few seconds, before sighing and self consciously bending over to pick him up. He wriggles around in my arms, tail wagging a mile a minute as I pat him. I glance up, only to see Kiba has his eyes hooded, a cute smile on his face as he watches Akamaru and I. Upon seeing that smile, I immediately avert my gaze and stare intently down at Akamaru, my face feeling warm again.

Why?

"But why Kakashi Sensei?" Naruto complains, his voice interrupting my thoughts. "Why?"

"It's not like we want to go on a mission with you either" Ino informs the whining blonde in a flat tone. "Asuma Sensei, is this really necessary?"

I have to admit, I'm curious as to why we're all being sent on a mission together. It's never happened before and our Sensei are all being very vague about what's going on. I'm not too sure how well we're all going to get along though, considering how competitive some are with others.

"Heh" Kiba sneers, hands on his hips as his pride draws him into the conversation. "You afraid we're gonna show you up or somethin?"

"Yeah right!" Naruto scoffs at the thought. "Like that'll happen."

Shikamaru runs a hand down his face as Kiba and Naruto begin to argue with each other, as Sakura and Sasuke both stare at our teammate with deadpan faces.

"Naruto, just forget about him already" I sigh in exasperation, reaching out and grabbing onto the back of his shirt just as he lunges for Kiba.

"Naruto!" Sakura screeches, a vein pulsing on the side of her head. "Will you just shut up for five seconds and stop causing trouble?!"

"But Sakura-chan" Naruto sniffs, turning to the girl with tears in his eyes. "He's the one that started-"

"You guys are all so loud" Shikamaru grumbles, throwing his head back to stare up at the sky. "This mission is going to be such a drag..."

"I think it'll be fun" Choji speaks up cheerfully, reaching into a bag of chips. "We never do anything all together now that we're out of the Academy."

"At least I'll get to be with Sasuke-kun" Ino says dreamily, her eyes sparkling as she suddenly runs forwards, arms outstretched. "Sasuke-kun!"

"No way Ino Pig!" Sakura thunders, stepping in front of an irritated Sasuke and holding one hand up. "That's close enough!"

"Get out of my way Billboard Brow!" Ino screams right in Sakura's face, fire burning between the two girls' eyes.

I sweat drop and look at Sasuke.

"I'm not walking anywhere near you during this mission" I inform him, to which he turns to me with his unimpressed expression. He looks like even he doesn't want to be anywhere near himself right now.

Asuma runs a hand down his face and sighs, turning to the other two Jonin, who look as weary as he does. By the looks of things, they don't really want to go on this mission either.

"Can you stop crunching those things right in my ear Choji?!" Kiba suddenly barks, losing his cool.

The totally oblivious Akimichi pauses, a handful of chips halfway to his mouth.

"What?" he asks, standing about a metre away from Kiba.

Shikamaru gives the Inuzuka a side long glance and then folds his arms behind his head, eyes drifting over to me.

"If you feel like throwing him into a tree again" the Nara offers me, "Feel free to do it now."

"What'd you just say to her?!" Kiba snaps, glaring at Shikamaru. "Why don't you just mind your own business?!"

I smirk wryly as Kiba stomps closer to Shikamaru, who is now watching the Inuzuka with only one eye open, unperturbed by his annoyance. Akamaru looks over, growling quietly.

Hinata gulps and takes a step forwards when she sees Kiba's hands ball into fists, only for Shino to reach out and gently place a hand on her shoulder, shaking his head.

Choji, noticing the fists as well, drops his chips and stands in front of Shikamaru protectively, returning Kiba's glare. He reaches out and suddenly grabs Kiba by the throat, much to everyone's surprise.

Akamaru barks angrily and tries to jump out of my arms, though I manage to catch him and hug him close to me. I don't think it will do anyone any good if he runs over and bites Choji or Shikamaru.

"You got a problem with my best bud?" Choji asks, to which an unfazed Kiba smirks.

"Yeah" he confirms, his tone snarky, "I do actually."

"What?" Choji utters lowly, his grip on the still smirking Kiba tightening.

"Uh....Choji...." I address hesitantly, feeling faintly worried that an all out brawl is about to happen.

Not that I care if Kiba gets beaten up. It'd be his own fault for getting riled up so easily! He'd probably deserve it anyway.

"Hands off the merchandise fatty" Kiba mocks, knowing full well what he is saying.

As Choji freezes and Ino lets out a gasp of horror, Kiba places one foot on the Akimichi's knee. He then kicks his other foot up into Choji's stomach and back flips away, watching as the larger boy flies backwards and crashes into a tree.

From the corner of my eye I see Asuma slap one hand to his face, with Kurenai hanging her head and shaking it.

I wonder if this is a regular occurrence for these guys? It seems they all grew up together and they mostly all claim to be friends, but it seems like all like to get on each others nerves whenever possible...

"Choji!" Shikamaru exclaims, spinning around to see if his best friend is alright. "C'mon Kiba, that was too far! You're just trying to show off now."

"Uh oh!" Naruto gulps, scrambling back towards me. "Kiba just called him a fatty! He's as good as dead now!"

"You called me fat!" Choji bellows angrily, easily jumping up and throwing his hands in the air, uninjured. "I am not fat, I'm just big boned!"

"Heh, there's no such thing" Kiba laughs obnoxiously, irking the already ticked off Choji even more.

The Akimichi suddenly charges forwards, his arm pulled back and ready to punch Kiba.

"Heh, this'll teach that show off" Shikamaru sniggers, crouching down and placing his fingers together in a hand sign.

My eyes widen when I see a shadow stretch across the ground and latch onto a shocked Kiba, rendering him unable to move and dodge Choji's incoming punch.

Without even thinking, I drop Akamaru on the ground and throw up my arms, Katsuryoku activated.

Just as Choji's punch is about to connect with Kiba's face, a thick wall of earth rises up out of the ground to separate the boys. Choji's fist collides with the wall, resulting in a resounding crack sound. The earth wall crumbles from the strong impact, though manages to protect Kiba from the hit.

"That's enough" Asuma commands, his arm curled around a now sweat dropping Shikamaru's neck.

Having recognised the Nara's hand sign, Asuma darted forwards and has one of Shikamaru's arms pulled behind his back, releasing the Jutsu.

Free from Shikamaru's Shadow Possession Jutsu, Kiba turns to look at me with wide eyes. I regard him with the exact same expression, having been worried Choji was really going to hurt him.

At that thought, I immediately drop my gaze, at the same time as Kiba abruptly turns away from me. I lower my hands, pushing the rock wall back under the ground, feeling my face warming up again.

Why had I done that? I should have just let him get punched in the face. He shouldn't have picked a fight with Choji for no reason.

Shikamaru groans and rolls his shoulders as Asuma releases him, the older man shaking his head.

"Look" he begins, sounding drained, "I know not all of you get along and you all like to test your moves against each other. But you're just all going to have to suck it up for this mission and behave, okay? No more stirring each other up."

"That's right" Kakashi Sensei agrees, nodding. "These orders are directly from Lady Tsunade and I'm sure none of you want us to send a negative report about you to the new Hokage."

"Kakashi Sensei?" Sakura asks hesitantly. "Um, what exactly is this mission anyway? You didn't really explain it to us."

"Y-Yes" Hinata adds, looking up from inspecting any possible wounds on Kiba. "Kurenai Sensei, y-you didn't tell us m-much either...."

"I'm fine Hinata" Kiba chuckles awkwardly, gently pushing his teammate back and rubbing the back of his head.

"Yes well......" Kurenai trails off, looking to Asuma and Kakashi as she seemingly tries to think of an answer. "It's definitely....a mission...."

We all fall over at that. What kind of cryptic answer is that?!

"We know that!" Naruto pipes up, folding his arms over his chest and pouting. "Geez, you're even more vague than Kakashi Sensei!"

"What's with the big secret?" Sasuke asks flatly, seemingly also curious about our weird mission.

"Okay, well!' Kakashi Sensei laughs nervously. "We've got quite a way to travel, so let's get moving!"

"Really?!" Ino squeals with excitement, hugging Sasuke's arm tightly, something that causes Sakura to do a double take. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise" Kurenai informs the blonde, winking.

"Hokage's orders" Asuma adds with a shrug. "You'll all find out later."

"It'll surprise some of you more than others" Kakashi Sensei teases us all, much to the dismay of the other two Jonin, who swiftly hush him.

My brows furrow in confusion, wondering where on earth we're all going to be heading. And why do we all have to go together? This is a lot of people for one mission. I may not have been in the Leaf Village as long as the others, but even I know that!

"Okay, enough questions!" Asuma decides, nodding to Kakashi Sensei, who pulls out a map.

"Okay, we have to head East past the Village" Kakashi Sensei instructs. "We're heading to a small harbour up towards the border between the Land of Fire and the Land of Hot Water."

"A harbour?" Sakura repeats curiously. "Are we going to be catching a boat Sensei?"

"Sharp as ever Sakura" Kakashi Sensei teases the girl, causing an excited murmur to break out amongst the other Genin.

I look around at everyone, seeing the enthusiasm on some faces and the nervousness of others. I don't think many of them, if any of them, have travelled very far from the Village before. I can understand their reactions. I've been to a few places in the past and even I'm starting to feel kind of excited.

"Just in case we run into trouble out there" Kakashi Sensei clarifies, "We've decided that we'll be moving in squads until we get to the harbour. Plus, it'll be easier to move in smaller groups rather than one huge group."

"In the first group, the Leading Cell, will be Kiba and Akamaru. You'll both be up the front with me. Your superior senses of smell will be able to locate any possible enemies before anyone else can."

Kiba grins proudly down at Akamaru, who is now sitting at his feet, tail wagging.

"If I'm in the front with you guys" Kakashi Sensei continues, "It'll be easy for me to give you orders. Especially if we run into trouble. Behind us, will be Sakura."

I see Sakura's green eyes widen at that, no doubt wondering why she's being put so close to the front.

"Your sharp eyes and mind will be useful to me as the Leader" Kakashi Sensei explains, "So having you close to the front is only natural. After Sakura, will be you Naruto. You've got good reaction time and you can hit pretty hard, so if we're attacked from any angle, you're in the prime position to retaliate."

Naruto closes his eyes and grins widely, as Kakashi Sensei turns to Shino.

"And the last person in the Leading Cell will be you Shino" the Jonin finishes up. "Your insects will be able to sense any movement around us, making you perfect for the rear guard. Kurenai?"

"Okay" the red eyed woman says, stepping forwards. "My team or, the Snare Cell as I'm calling it, will have Shikamaru as the front runner."

"Me?" Shikamaru repeats incredulously, point at himself.

I can't help grinning cheekily at him, amused by his reaction. It's really no surprise that he doesn't want the responsibility of the lead squad member, and it seems as though he wasn't expecting that decision.

"Yes" Kurenai confirms seriously. "You have possess an exceptional intellect and analytical skills. Having a tactician at the front is a huge advantage. Ino, you'll be next in line and here is where the whole Snare thing comes into play. If for some reason, Kakashi and his cell miss some enemies and we are attacked, Shikamaru will be able to use his Shadow Possession Jutsu to immobilise them, while you use your Mind Transfer Jutsu."

"So" Ino says slowly, looking slightly concerned. "It's like the Ino-Shika-Cho formation.....but without Choji?"

Here Ino and Shikamaru turn to look at their third teammate, who seems to have a questioning look on his face.

"Don't worry" Asuma assures his team. "We're going to put Choji to good use as well."

"Well....." Ino sighs. "If you say so..."

I'm surprised to see Ino so uncomfortable with being separated from Choji. The she always shouts at her two teammates had me wondering if she even liked them sometimes.

And what the heck is an Ino-Shika-Cho formation?

"You'll be up next Hinata, for obvious reasons" Kurenai smiles at the girl, who also seems unsure. "With your Byakugan, you'll have a good view of the surrounding area and be able to see if there are any hidden enemies around us. Last but not least, will be yours truly. My Genjutsu will trap any unfortunate stragglers and incapacitate them."

Kurenai lets out a breath and steps back, handing the spotlight over to Asuma, who grins at those of us remaining, myself included.

"Finally, my team" the man announces, sounding proud. "A team of heavy hitters. A team full of tanks. Power houses even. Yeah, that's you guys, the Dynamic Cell."

Already feeling more motivated by Asuma's description of us, I exchange smug looks with Sasuke and Choji, both of who look as please as I do with Asuma's words.

"I'll be up front of course" Asuma continues, as if it's obvious, "With Sasuke right behind me. With your Sharingan and natural speed, you'll not only be able to see enemies coming, but you should be able to keep up with me if we have to fight. After you will be Choji. I already know what you bring to the table Choji. You're soft hearted, but you're one of the most physically strong Ninja in this whole group.

Choji beams at the praise from his Sensei, when Asuma turns to me. Seems I'm lucky last in this whole line up.

"Ashley, I don't personally know much about you can do" the man admits, "But I saw you fight at the Chunin Exams and Kakashi tells me that you're able to sense movement through the ground. You'll be our look out and tell me if anyone approaches us. I've seen that you like to hit the enemy hard and fast, so you should be able to keep up with the rest of us if it comes to a fight."

'Should be?' I think to myself dryly, raising one eyebrow.

"Our job as a team is to back up the Snare Cell" Asuma begins to wrap up his explanation. "They're more there to distract and trap the enemy, while we get the fun job of actually getting rid of them."

"So, after all that" Kakashi pipes up again, "Any questions?"

"Nope!" Naruto decides on everyone's behalf, pumping a fist into the air. "Let's just get going already! I can't wait!"

"Ugh, Naruto...." Sakura gripes, only to swallow nervously.

It seems she feels a little uncomfortable with our team being split up as well. At least she'll have Naruto and Kakashi Sensei with her. She'll be just fine.

"Me, leading people?" Shikamaru grumbles to himself, shoulders drooping. "Yeah right...."

"That's what you get for being so smart" I tease the Nara, only for him to sigh and look away.

Ino slaps Shikamaru's back encouragingly.

"C'mon Shikamaru!" she laughs. "What's with the red face? We're gonna do awesome, we always do!"

"Like I thought" Choji says, walking over to Sasuke and I. "This is gonna be fun!"

A mischeivous smirk spreads across my face, as Choji and I begin to flex our muscles, striking silly poses as we do.

"Look at us" I grunt, clenching my fists, posing like a body builder would. "We're tanks."

"Nah, we're the power houses" Choji corrects, striking another pose, the ridiculousness of it almost making me laugh.

"Heavy hitters" I growl, squatting down and flexing my arms low to the ground.

I hear a few laughs from the other Genin, with even Sasuke cracking an amused smirk. I fall onto my back and begin laughing as well, as Choji jabs his arms out in front of him and pulls a stupid face as he flexes.

It feels nice, to be so carefree and silly with....with friends. I've missed this. The longer I'm here, the easier it feels to just be who I used to be, before everything happened.

"Ashley-chan" Sakura giggles, as she and Naruto lean over me. "It's so unlike you to be this silly."

"Don't expect it to happen again" I inform them coldly, my face deadpan.

Sakura and Naruto blink at the sudden change in my demeanour, only for them both to grin again as I begin to laugh.

"You obviously listened to me when I told you to laugh more" Naruto boasts playfully. "See? Always listen to Naruto. He knows-"

"Absolutely nothing" Sakura interjects, narrowing her eyes at the blonde.

Kakashi rolls his eyes at our antics, not wanting to show his amusement. He wouldn't want to encourage us after all.

"Alright Leading Cell" the Jonin addresses loudly. "Time to go."

Waving goodbye to me as I sit up, Sakura and Naruto run over to our Sensei, with Kiba and Akamaru already there. Shino saunters over with his hands in his pockets, much to the impatient Kiba's chagrin.

Sending his teammate an annoyed look, Kiba's eyes glance over at me. I blink as we make eye contact, before sending him a thumbs up. He seems surprised, but merely grins back at me, his sharp teeth on display. I smile to myself as he turns his attention back to Kakashi Sensei.

Why am I smiling? I don't even know. Something is definitely wrong with me.

"Alright, let's go!' Kakashi orders, disappearing up into the trees. "Give us a fifteen minute head start Kurenai!"

"Catch you losers later" Kiba bids everyone farewell as he and Akamaru chase after Kakashi Sensei.

Sakura pauses to look at Sasuke and I, sending us a last desperate wave, before she and Naruto also jump up into the trees, Shino right behind them.

"And now we wait" Ino announces, sitting down on a rock and crossing her legs primly. She watches Shikamaru as he begins pacing back and forth, clearly worried about having to be at the front of his squad.

"Chill out Shika-kun" I say with a shrug, using the silly nickname I'd come up with to tease him. "You'll have a Jonin with you, it's no big deal."

The Nara pauses when I address him, glancing over at me briefly, before turning his back and crossing his arms.

"Maybe to you" he eventually responds, his reaction confusing me slightly. Why's he being so weird lately?

As Hinata and Kurenai sit down next to each other and Choji tears into a new bag of chips, I walk over to Sasuke and drop myself down beside him, neither of us saying a word.

Feeling particularly annoying today, I turn my head and stare at my cousin, doing so in a very obvious fashion. He closes his eyes and ignores me for awhile, his arms crossed over his chest. He soon reopens his eyes and glances at me from the side, an annoyed expression eventually taking over his face.

"What is it?" Sasuke asks me gruffly, though I don't respond. I just continue to stare.

I see Sasuke's eyebrow twitch, something that causes the corners of my mouth to turn up, though I hold in my laugh.

"What?" Sasuke asks again, turning his head to look at me this time.

My brows furrow as I stare, still refusing to speak. Sasuke now glares back at me, leaning slightly closer, until our unofficial staring contest is in full swing.

Seeing that Sasuke is going to be stubborn about not losing, I raise my hand slightly, causing a puff of wind to blow into my cousin's eyes.

"Hey!" he protests, closing his eyes and rubbing at them as he leans back from me.

"Ha!" I bark out a laugh. "I win!"

"No way" Sasuke retorts, back to glaring at me. "You cheated."

"No I didn't" I reply innocently, to which Sasuke's eyes narrow in annoyance. "It's not my fault that the wind blew in your eyes."

"......You can control the wind" Sasuke reminds me in a flat tone, to which I nod in realisation.

"Oh yeah" I smirk. "I can too."

"........" Sasuke looks at me through hooded eyes. "You know, you're being more annoying than usual."

"Am I?" I wonder, only half joking. "It must be Naruto's influence."

"Hn, probably."

"Alright Snare Cell" Kurenai speaks up, climbing to her feet. "It's time for us to go as well."

"You can do it Shika-kun" I encourage the Nara in an emotionless voice, pushing a very unenthusiastic fist up in the air.

He looks embarrassed for a few moments, before shaking his head and heaving a deep sigh.

"Thanks for your support" he mutters. "What a drag...."

That said, he jumps up into the trees and disappears from sight. Ino climbs down from the rock she'd been sitting on and sends Sasuke a wink and a peace sign.

"See you soon Sasuke-kun!" she says sweetly, to which I hear him grunt.

Ino, Hinata and Kurenai all leap up into the trees above, leaving just the four members of the Dynamic Cell behind.

Deciding that I've messed with Sasuke enough, I lie back and close my eyes, choosing to rest until we have to leave as well.

I wonder where we could be heading? Everything about this mission seems so mysterious, possibly even suspicious, and yet.......I can't help feeling as though it's already fun.

I don't know if its the thought of travelling somewhere unknown or that we're all doing this together, but I'm having a good time.

It's strange how I can so freely admit that to myself now. Just a few months ago, I couldn't stand any of these people and would have gladly left any of them to die.

I cringe at the thought of how cruel I was. It's a wonder any of them even talk to me after the way I treated them. I know I'm still not exactly the nicest person around, but even I can admit to myself that I've changed since coming here.

The thought of having friends now excites me rather than scares me. The thought of staying here in the Leaf Village forever brings a soothing comfortableness, whereas it used to feel like something of a prison sentence. I never used to know where my life was headed. It all just seemed so bleak, but now, I swear that I can see a light.

I hope I can bring myself to fully heal from the past and move forward......With everyone else....

"Okay guys" Asuma's voice brings me out of my thoughts and causes me to sit up. "Let's get this party started. Dynamic Cell out!"

Vanishing out of sight, I turn my head and smirk at Sasuke, who seems uncharacteristically eager to go, if the shine in his dark eyes is anything to go by.

"Don't mess up" he teases, jumping up into a tree.

"Pfft, I was just about to say the same thing" I mutter to myself, climbing to my feet.

I watch as Choji quickly stuffs an empty chip packet into his bag and leaps out of sight, before I activate my Katsuryoku and, like the others, leap up into the trees.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254K 4.8K 18
Naruto has an older sister, who is 5 years older than him, Miyuki Uzumaki! She is a perfect combination of there parents, kushina Uzumaki and Minato...
48.9K 2.4K 25
"Why did you do that soobin?!" "I did that for you..." In this story, choi soobin, a secret yandere that will kill anyone who steals his bestfriend a...
4.4K 259 31
Si Ethan. Theo sa mga kaibigan niya. School-mate. Spoiled Rich Kiddo. Gwapo rin pero mayabang. Ghoster 👻 (daw) Retired bully. Pero questionable pa...
230K 5.6K 33
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc