Inception ➳ Niall Horan

By pepperrmint

❝what if you got a second chance, to change what happened?❞ Copyright © 2013 May [pepperrmint] More

[0] prologue
[i] memories
[ii] hallucination
[iii] belief
[iv] letter
[v] phone call
[vi] amber
[vii] friends
[ix] day out
[x] stars
[xi] talks
[xii] freezing
[xiii] déjà vu
[xiv] john clayton
[xv] amber the idiot
[xvi] comfort
[xvii] best friends
[xviii] confusion
[xix] till the end
[xx] kisses
[xxi] cloud nine
[xxii] answers
[xxiii] amnesia
[xxiv] a little while
[xxv] last goodbye
[xxvi] epilogue
the truth
Sands II One Direction

[viii] new side

3.1K 125 11
By pepperrmint

               [viii]
              [niall] [June 12, 2014] 

           I looked outside the room balcony into the sky that was a pretty mixture of shades of pink and orange, and clouds in the foreground that looked like strokes of purple smeared on a canvas. I waited patiently as time neared. I could really have some food right now, but I'm going to wait. We had a morning flight and we landed at around lunch time. After some rest that we all really needed, I'm all set. 

          Like Amber said she would, she didn't deny when I asked her if we were up for out tour around the city, just for confirmation. Instead, this time she looked a little more excited, but that's probably because she's in a new city. She's always loved travelling, and I know this time she isn't giving in to new friendships so quickly. 

          I still can't believe so much has happened in a matter of days. The days can be counted on fingers but it feels like such a long time, probably months since this has all been going on. But to think it's only around almost a week.

           Amber is here. Breathing, alive. In person I saw her again, but I didn't even get a few seconds enough to look at her until I was sure she's really there. I couldn't do that; she will think I'm a creep and I don't want that. As much over anxious I'm getting, I'm fine with it because I don't want to fuck this up now. This wasn't like one of the dates we used to have. I had to remind myself ten whole times that I need to act as though I don't know a single thing about her. And also just consider this as a day of bonding for new friend. Not. A. Date. It was so not right to say, though.

          My feet quickly padded towards the door in a total rush due to the double knocking. With a small shaky breath I opened the door to reveal a simple looking Amber. Just like always, I admired her habit of not decking up too much all the time. She stood there with the small smile I know very well, as I invited her in.

          “Well Niall,” She muttered facing the balcony, and then enthusiastically skipping there. I followed like a lost puppy, wanting to know what she had to say. “How about we ditch the touring of the city? I have a better idea,” A mischievous expression painted on her face. 

              “If it's staying in. . .” I trailed off, shrugging.

            “It's something way better. Way better than what you suggested.” She placed her palms on her hips, stating proudly. My lips curled into a tiny smile.

              “Then let's go see what you've planned.”

              I don't know how we were talking so casually even though this is the first time we're going out and that too after such a short time of knowing each other; all this according to her. I wonder how it was for her and I wonder what she thought about me. Sometimes I think, what if she doesn't end up growing a liking for me? Even a little bit which I could further enhance? I don't like to think negative, but it just happens. There is this one big worry circling above my head.

               But for now, I'm going to focus on this. .  friend time we have right now.

--

             “Bicycles?” I rose my eyebrows as I checked the gear on top of the right handle. These were really good, and apparently the hotel had them for rent, and you could go for a ride until a certain extent. I'd not seen such a facility before but it's actually really nice. I quickly swung a leg on the other side seeing Amber already all set. I rang the bell a few times to check. I didn't want to crash against a tree and die in Stockholm or something.

           I sighed. I've been a little OCD about checking vehicles ever since Amber's accident, which apparently never happened now. But yet, the whole memory makes shivers run down my entire body. It all feels like a dream now, but a dream that changed the reality massively.

           “Let's go?” Amber turned her head around from ahead of me, and I nodded enthusiastically. She put glares on, since it was a bit sunny outside.

            All along the ride as we tried our best to overtake each other, we pointed out at weird things we saw pass by not caring what people said. We laughed, spoke, and she told me about her five siblings I already know about. I tried my best to look like it was fresh information I was getting, and I think I succeeded. We rode around the area we were restricted to, passing by the small buildings and the open market place. It was such a homely feeling in this city and I loved it. Finally, it was almost completely dark and that's when I realized that we were now near the docks. I had gone long without some food, and I could really have something right now.

             “Amber, we're beyond restricted area.” I got off my bike, making it lean against the railing. Quickly, she walked up next to me and folded her hands, placing them on the railing. I stared off into the sky as the shade had now progressed to a dark purple with small faint smears of orange. It was almost dark and stars had started to come out. My mind was distracted though; like it had been since this morning. I gazed at Amber from the corner of my eyes who was engrossed at staring off into the vast sea. The little sunlight that was still lingering made her eyes stand out, her pupils now dark blue because of the inky gleam. She never said anything to my hesitance about being in a restricted part of bicycling. She was easily distracted and I was well aware of it. 

           “I'm glad I listened to Faith,” She spoke up in quite the hushed tone. Her face no longer held the small persisting smile and it had been replaced by a serious expression. “I haven't thought of Trent even once in hours and plus I also was done crying for a whole week. I'm still sad, but it takes time to move on.” She muttered.

            One thing about Amber was that she could talk to anyone. Even if the person in front of her isn't so open and one of comforting kind, she made it possible for them to do it. She was the one who was comforting in the situation, the problems being hers. It was hard to understand for me in the start too, since I'm not too good when it comes to consoling and advising people. But with her it's possible for anyone.

             She turned around, with an alarmed look on her face. “Oh! I'm sorry. . . Trent is my ex-boyfriend. . ” She sighed, sadness clear in her tone.

            I only nodded, not wanting to say anything since I was afraid that I'll let something slip out. But I couldn't completely stay quiet either. She'd think I wasn't interested in her talks, when that's not true. For all I care, she could go on and on about how Trent is an arsehole― because I know for sure she thinks that of him now, and I'd still listen. Just the fact that she's talking to me, a complete stranger, is good. And I thank her open and trusting nature for that. But, I'm not too sure she's into trusting anyone a bit much than friendship, at the moment at least.

          “Well, I don't want to sound intruding, but why did you guys break up?” It wasn't a wrong question. To be honest, I still didn't know what exactly happened. When Faith and Liam told me how Amber had returned home, they only told me that Amber said he cheated. They didn't tell me anything and I knew they wanted me to find out from Amber herself, since that would help us to bond. 

            “You're not intruding. In fact, I did just tell you I broke up with my ex-boyfriend all of a sudden and you probably thought I'm weird. But anyway,” She sighed again. “He cheated. To be honest, I'm not saying I expected this from him or something. Most people say that. 'I had expected that, we weren't t that much into the relationship, you know?' All sort of that crap. We had been having problems lately, but I never even expected him to go cheat and run away from his problems. That didn't seem like him, but guess you can never understand people. It's okay though. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt as bad as when I caught him. I'm actually much better than I expected to be, and I don't know how. Maybe it's because I'm doing something I love. . . ” She shrugged. I smiled, really proud that she trusted me enough to let this all out.

           “Such an arse,” I shook my head, always wanting to say that. Well, not like I hate him or anything. I've been wanting to say it ever since he fucked up, and I wanted to say it in Amber's presence knowing she won't mind. First, when we were dating. .  she wouldn't let me talk crap about him because they were still friends. I didn't mind though, I knew she was over him and you cant just forget someone's who's been your friend since childhood.

          “He is,” She nodded. “I don't know how I trusted you to tell this to you. I'm open minded that way and don't hesitate to talk to people, but I have never told anyone about myself so much in a go. And I'd really like for you to keep this all a secret. . I don't know why you want to be friends with a fuck up like me but I really appreciate it.” I frowned.

          “You're not a fuck up,” I knew why she was saying this. She'd always say this about herself. Then she told me one day about her family and how she was ignored and pushed aside. It's not new news that you start feeling like a total mess up when no one cares much about your existence. I've kind of gone through that. It was then when I told her to stop letting herself down, and she listened to me. But this time, I can't tell her all that. It'd be too much at a time. As I said that, she shot me a small smile.

           “I am, Niall. I am. I did tell you some things right now, but that's not even half of me. So I know you'll agree to it if ever I let my guard down. Right now, what we have is enough for me. I need a new friend to talk to, and maybe in future I'll trust you enough to tell you more. And then if you want to go away. . it's okay because I'm customary to that,” She shrugged. “Well, it's getting late, we must go. . ”

          “Yeah. . ” I replied in a hazy manner thinking about what she told me. It really caught me off guard. She hadn't said such things before when we were dating and it made me wonder if there were more things about her that she had yet to tell me? 

           I'm really upset now, but at least this is all getting somewhere.

           Today's day made me realize one thing though. I've started this entire second chance with a friendship. Something we never had. From the start there was just attraction for each other and then it developed into crushes. Whenever we'd talk there would be shameless flirting and we both enjoyed it. We never had a proper 'best friend' or even a friend kind of talk. Like we had one now. And right now, I saw a side of her I never saw. She looked at me as a friend as of now and she showed me her sad side. I always knew there were times she'd keep in her emotions. When we were together she tried her best for me to not notice when she was not in the best of her moods. But now, she didn't hesitate at all.

           And that makes me wonder. Will this second chance let me know a whole lot more about her? 

[A/N]: 

NEW CHAPTER GUYS. it's been long i must say, so i hope you all enjoy this ! I really love how it turned out despite the fact that its short but lol whatever

and 8000 reads omfg i love you guys !

also, i have to fairly new stories. They're called Vegas [liam fanfic] and Tracks [louis fanfic] and i'd love it if you guys go read them and give them a shot! Vegas a little more into the humour side and tracks is just going to be plain adorable i can tell :))) please try yeah?

have a good night/day/morning x

-may

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

674K 33.4K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
74.8K 1.4K 11
Opposites attract. It confuses Clarke when she finds her self needing Bellamy's support. Bellamy of all people. Clarke doesn't see Bellamy as more th...
22K 1K 30
BOOK 3 IN MSRA SERIES After waiting all summer to return to the academy and see her friends, Kathleen Whitmore returns to the academy to realize that...
206K 7.4K 29
Gilbert Blythe has a serious problem when it comes to Anne Shirley-Cuthbert - he stares at her too much! "Do you believe in soulmates?" he asks, half...