Hero's Journey

Oleh SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... Lebih Banyak

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 63

12 1 2
Oleh SkyAngel_

Merry Christmas to you all! To all others that celebrate other holidays, I'll simply say, Happy Holidays!

〰〰〰

Leona shifts once more, placing her hand on her lap and looking up at each of the people crowded in her tent. Her eyes hesitate on Maude before she turns her attention to Kagon. "I'll help." Her black eyes glint like precious stones. "For a price." She wiggles her thin brows at the hero.

This is what I get for being so damn handsome. He thinks, nausea pulling at his guts.

Everyone is completely shocked into silence, but it is quickly broken by Leona's loud cackling. "I'm only joking! I'm much too old for that!" She laughs so hard tears spring from her eyes and her cackling turns into hacking.

Kagon's broad shoulders slump in complete relief. I just dodged a rock, there.

Zoya rolls her eyes. "Really?"

"Oh hush, grandchild. Can't a feeble, old woman have her fun? Besides I'll leave all of that to you." She says, eyes knowing.

"I took a vow!" Zoya exclaims.

"So?"

Zoya throws up her arms in exasperation. A chuckle resonates within Kagon's chest. Within the short time I've known Zoya she's been cool and indifferent. It is hilarious to see her this flustered.

Leona waves Zoya's frustration away even though the young woman's yellow eyes still smolder with vexation. "Joking aside, I really do require payment for my assistance." She raises up a bony finger. "However, what I request is simple. I only ask that I am allowed to touch the golden-haired man's temple so I can read into the threads of his future. I am curious to see what my granddaughter sees in this group."

"I suppose..." Kagon trails off, stepping closer to the old woman and then kneeling down so that they're at eye level. He's so close that he can smell the spicy scent of her breath and make out every crease in her dark skin.

Leona reaches out and presses her palm against Kagon's temple. Immediately, the hero's vision turns dark. When she removes her hand seconds later, his eyes refocus. Kagon blinks wearily as if coming out of a deep, hard sleep.

"What did you see?" Delia asks.

Leona's narrow lips form a straight, solemn line. "I understand why you are helping them, Zoya."

"What do you mean?" Delia pesters.

Leona's eyes snap to Delia's. "I know you are a seeker of knowledge dear, but shut up. All of you, be quiet for a moment."

Leona takes a deep breath and it seems like years of silence before she looks up at them. "A very muddled and important future you all have." She pauses, looking at Maude. "....Most of you, that is."

"Hey-" Maude objects, but is cut off.

"Anyway, you need to set sail soon. I'll help you immediately tomorrow. I need to have some time to prepare myself. What you're asking isn't simple. Magic is easy to release, but hard to control."

"Okay, in the morning then." Zoya says.

Leona nods. "Oh, and don't bother slinking out of your father's encampment, grandchild. He'll discover you either way."

Just as she finishes speaking, a young shapeshifter enters the tent and immediately runs out, shouting incomprehensibly.

"Apparently I was wrong, you didn't even have time to be sneaky." Leona chuckles.

"Everyone run, we must leave!" Zoya shouts.

They all speed out of the tent, Leona's loud laughter following after them.

〰〰〰

Delia slumps on the ground in relief. They had just made it back to Zoya's camp mostly unscathed. The only one of their group that was injured was Tavius when one of the lion's chasing after them managed to drag a claw down his back. However, the wound is not deep, but will leave a nasty scar.

After regaining her breath, Delia gets to her feet, swiping a piece of unruly hair out of her eyes.

"That was too close." Zoya says, face a mask of seriousness.

"Will they come after us?" Delia inquires.

"I don't think so, but we should still watch our backs. My father can occasionally be unpredictable." She turns to one of the hunters. "Did you hear that? Make sure there are no holes in our defenses."

"Yes." The lioness dips her head and walks off to do as ordered.

Zoya turns her attention back to Delia and her companions. "The sun is starting to dip, let us sup and converse about the plan for tomorrow. You all must leave as soon as possible."

"Good idea." Kagon agrees, smiling flirtatiously at the woman.

Something twists in Delia's insides, but she dismisses it as a hunger pain. She hasn't eaten since morning, after all.

The group all head to a large fire where food is being handed out.  Delia sits beside Tavius and Maude while Kagon sits diagonally to them with Zoya. The huntresses, having already ate, hand out the leftover food and go to do there own thing.

Delia's stomach grumbles like a mighty beast as she stares down at the food on a bone platter. Without utensils, she tentatively picks up the meat and rips into it. Savory flavors overwhelm her tongue, causing her mouth to water. She takes another bite of the well-seasoned meat. As soon as she knows it, her once growling stomach is content and only the grease of the meat is left behind on the platter.

With her hunger sated, she looks up, taking note of her surroundings. Maude broods, silently kicking at the dry dirt. Tavius, who sits beside him, finishes off the last of his food. When he sees her looking at him, he offers her a wink. With checks now stained pink, she looks to Zoya and Kagon. Having already finished their meal, the two speak in low tones. Kagon places a hand on Zoya's arm, blue eyes deep and mesmerizing. Another twist of nausea winds its way through Delia, she looks away, hiding her face behind a curtain of her copper-blond hair.

"Are we going to talk about our plans tomorrow, or not?" Delia inwardly cringes at the croaky sound her voice makes.

"No, I believe I have it figured out." Zoya says. "We'll wake tomorrow before the sun rises. Leona will know when to meet us, she'll sense it. Then, you can all ship out of Roaria and back into your journey."

〰〰〰

Later that night, Kagon is one of the last people awake. He sits, staring at the smoldering flames as they slowly begin to dwindle and die down to nothing. The hero suddenly gets a sense of mortality that scares him.

Soon I will be the flame that dies, the thread that is snipped so easily by the Fates. I can only hope my ventures give me immortality among the world.

The shadows seem longer, more sinister as Kagon leans closer to the fire, letting the warmth wash away the cold dreariness of his thoughts.

"What are you thinking about?" Zoya asks, taking a seat beside him. Kagon notices the space she has put between them and smirks, his mood taking a one-eighty.

"I'm just staring into the flames" Kagon lies.

"I know the difference between someone who is reflecting and someone who is 'just staring.'" Zoya sends him a sideways look.

Feeling uncomfortable, he changes the subject. "Why aren't you allowed in your father's village?"

There, I'll turn the attention on her.

However, Zoya stays composed and regal. "Do you know the role lionesses play?" She continues talking, without letting Kagon answer.

"We are the hunters, the teachers to our young, and the caregivers to not only our young, but to the lions as well. The lions are the leaders, the patriarchs, but we are the ones running the tribe. We are warriors, but are treated like slaves by the lions. My father tried to marry me off like he did to my sisters, I refused. I rebelled with the young women you see in my encampment, so he outed me. That is why I am here, leading my huntresses and why I took a vow of celibacy."

Kagon is silent for a few moments. "Your story reminds me a bit of Delia's. She escaped a tyrannical father as well."

"My father is not a tyrant!" Zoya growls. "My father is a good leader, he is just entrapped in tradition."

Kagon raises his hands. "Alright, alright, I understand."

Zoya's tense shoulders fall and she seems to deflate slightly, but she still has that same predator readiness about her. "Apologies for my outburst, it is a.....sensitive subject."

Kagon grins. "It's fine lass." He carefully moves to fill the space between them. "I understand it."

Zoya looks up at him, into his eyes. Kagon's breath is taken away from her beauty. Her dark skin and striking yellow eyes, the wild mane of her golden brown hair... Overtaken, he leans in...

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

35 15 15
!Original story and original characters! An assassin, Verena Cliffwood, is hired by the king to kill a man, Lucian Bryonhill. She takes the job for a...
56 3 17
**New chapters released each week** In the heart of the Draconian Empire lies the ancient city of Drakon, where the shadows of past glory whisper tal...
3K 389 26
[𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐧, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐬: 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲 𝐮𝐬.] Qu...
126 3 7
After weeks of traveling, Rhenor and Kaz finally arrive in Sigallah to hopefully meet up with Kaz's friend Elaya. After spending the day in the city...