The Homeboy and The Virgin

By thewriterkaelin

The Homeboys are the Justin Timberlake's and Jay-Z's of the town. Everybody wanted to be one of them or to be... More

01-Junior
02-Duke
03-Junior
04-Duke
05--Junior
06--Duke
07/Junior
08-Duke
09-Junior
10-Duke
11-Junior
12-Duke
13-Junior
14-Duke
15-Junior
17-Junior
18-Duke
19-Junior
20-Duke
21-Junior
22-Duke
23-Junior
24-Duke
25-Junior
26-Duke
27-Junior
28-Duke
29-Junior
29-Junior
30-Epilogue

Chapter 16-Duke

3.3K 165 13
By thewriterkaelin

Chapter 16—Duke

Dammit, Junior was the most infuriating girl I had yet to meet.

    I slid my hands underneath her dress, enjoying how warm and soft she was beneath me. Her curves felt like putty under my hands, and the little moan that escaped her mouth made me shiver. Her hands roamed across my chest—which had been hot before, but was blazing now—and down my back, raking her fingernails down them. It felt good. Fuck that, it felt great. I lifted my lips from her mouth, gasping for air as I kissed from her neck down and back up again. “Tell me I’m your friend one more damn time,” I threatened.

   Her legs wrapped around me as she pulled me closer. “You’re just my friend,” she said, her voice breathless and playful.

   “Mm. You like games, don’t you?” I murmured, sliding my hands across her back. One of her hands entangled in my hair, bringing my face up to hers.

   A smile played across those full lips, and her cheeks were red. “Only when you play with me.”

   This was a far cry from the girl who a few minutes ago just wanted to be my friend. “Good.” I brought my lips down to hers again.

    This was different than Laila. Laila’s fire burned me. Junior’s fire made me crave more of her. I wanted to hug her, kiss her, hold her, protect her…. Shit, when Junior kissed me, I couldn’t even control myself. With Laila, I wouldn’t stop. With Junior, I couldn’t.

   “Duke—people—“ Junior said, trying to pull away.

   “Fuck them.”

   She laughed, turning her head away from me. “Our friends.”

  “Fuck them,” I repeated, trying to get to her again.

   “Laila.”

    “Fuck her.” And I meant it. This week had taught me nothing but what I needed to know—Laila had her best intentions, not mines. After hearing her sob her heart out about how Crank had left her broken-hearted, I wanted to shoot myself in my head. My mom had committed suicide, and the only thing she wanted to talk about was herself. Figured. Usually, it didn’t both me. All girls wanted to talk about themselves. But the difference was Junior. She had spent the night in my arms and let me cry. Laila only wanted to distract me sexually.

   And she hadn’t even mentioned she was pregnant.

   Junior arched an eyebrow. “Still. People.” She untangled her legs from around my waist, pushing my chest to give me some space. “You should probably put your shirt on.”

   Yeah, I didn’t want her to let me go. Not a single bit. But she was right. Our friends were quickly approaching. I took my shirt from her, hands still shaking as I tried to button it up. “I didn’t tell you what I wanted to say,” I said, looking at the door. I probably had ten seconds to get it out. “I wanna try us—like, in a real relationship. No bets, no nothin’. No other girls. You and me, Junior.”

   She blinked, looking surprised. Her mouth opened to answer, but Kyle flung the door open, the others close behind him. He took in the scene—Junior, pulling her dress down, me, putting my shirt back on—and groaned. “Please tell me you guys didn’t do it in my truck.”

   Junior laughed. “No.” She shot me a look that clearly read, later. Fine, I could wait. She reached over and finished buttoning my shirt for me.

   I gave her a grateful smile. Nerves, coffee, and everything else had settled into me, making my hands tremble. Secretly, I had an ulterior motive for taking my shirt off. Apparently, girls liked me more when I was half-naked. If my charm didn’t work, I was hoping my looks would hook her.

   “Get the fuck out,” Kyle said, but he didn’t say it with any malice. He smiled at me, giving me a hug. “Yo, see ya later, bro.”

   I nodded at him, climbing out. “Later.” I looked back at Junior. “Text me.”

  She smiled her agreement, but there was something in her eyes that made me uneasy. I didn’t put my heart out often—hopefully she wouldn’t break it.

   Trust was a hell of a thing to give to someone.

*

When everybody had left four hours later, I traveled up to my room, weary. Not tired, not sad, but weary. I felt like I could sleep ten years, but I was too lazy to even get into bed. I wanted to sink to my feet where I was and just lay there. My heart hurt, plain and simple.

     I hadn’t lost it at the funeral until my baby sister had saw Mama laid out in the coffin and asked why she didn’t wake up. And when Dad whispered Mom would never wake up, Scoop had burst into heart-wrenching sobs. She had thrown herself into my arms and cried on my shoulder, her arms wrapped around my neck. And that was when I lost it, when I carried her out of the damn funeral home with the preacher preaching about hell instead of Mama’s life, and to the kitchen behind the church. And we had sat there and cried, holding each other, and making enough noise to disturb the dead.

    That had been enough closure for me. Not enough to make me feel better, but enough to stop my  grief and turn into weariness that made me want to simultaneously walk until I passed out, or fall asleep where I stood.

     Instead, I pulled off my clothes and stepped into my shower. Junior had yet to text me, although Kyle did say they had all gone to a movie. Without me. Sorry, bro, thought you’d want to be alone with Laila. Yeah. That was exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to be so far away from Laila.

    I had no idea when the change had taken place. Somewhere between her bitching about Crank, and her talking shit about Junior, I had lost interest. Especially when she made out with me, and I rejected her, so she offered something else. Let me do all the work. You just stand there…. Or sit. Whatever you want. Accompanied by that wink I was sure was meant to be sexy. But I didn’t feel up to it, something she didn’t understand. And when I mentioned it, she went on a rampage.

   So there was no more getting even at Crank. Him being stuck with Laila had been getting even enough.

   You like Junior, I told myself, letting the warm water hit every part of my body. I willed and wished Junior to show up in my bed, ready for when I got out the shower. She’d be wearing my football jersey and a black lace thong, maybe some of those—

   Yeah, I guess I was feeling up to it again.

    Shaking my head, I tried to clear my thoughts, but it was too late. The damage was done. I turned off the warm water and wrapped a towel around my waist. When I opened my door, I saw a girl in my bed, but it wasn’t Junior. Laila smiled at me, her eyes sizing up my bottom half. “Good,” she said, her voice low, “you’re finally back in the mood.”

   Not for her, but she’d make a nice stand-in.

   I crossed the room over to her, glancing to make sure the door was closed. I didn’t want my sister to walk in on me.  “Finally,” I said, trying to keep my voice interested.

   I went through the motions, trying to appear engaged, but I wasn’t feeling it. My thoughts were consumed with Junior, but I kept her name on the edge of my lips. No. I wasn’t about to say her name right here. Not until I knew how she felt, what she wanted from me.

   I was serious about wanting to try us.

   Laila wrapped her arms around my neck, cuddling to me. “I love you, Duke. Always have, always will.” Her voice was a low, sated murmur in my ear.

   I grimaced, waiting until she was fast asleep to get up. I threw the cover over her naked body. No need for her to freeze to death. I pulled on a pair of discarded sweats I had worn to bed last night and a sweatshirt. I didn’t smoke, but I needed a cigarette.

   It was silent downstairs. Scoop was in her room, having fallen asleep long ago. Dad was watching football, having throw himself into coaching yesterday. I understood his pain. It was easier to focus all your attention on something else rather than to focus on Mom not being here anymore.

    “Think they can pull of a win Saturday?” I asked, leaning against the door. I noticed Dad had a chocolate chip cookie in his hand. Junior’s had gone fast, but she had made an extra batch, just for us, hidden in the cabinets.

   He shrugged. “Long as they do what we say.” He paused the TV, looking up at me. “And Friday? Think y’all can win it?”

   Oh yeah. Friday. Our last regular season game. Also our homecoming game. With everything happening, I had forgotten about it. And Saturday would be the homecoming dance. I never really took anybody, but I could ask Junior. If she wanted to go with me. Was it too late for girls to even get dresses for that sort of thing?

   “Duke?” Dad asked, pulling me from my thoughts. “You thinking about Junior?”

    I shrugged. “Sort of. The dance is Saturday, and I was going to ask her, but, what if she doesn’t have enough time to get a dress?”

   Dad laughed. “Girls always have enough time to spend money.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a few twenties. “You need to get out of the house. It’s been a rough day. Go get a root beer or something.”

   I took the money, smiling gratefully. Yeah, I needed to be out of the house. “Thanks, Dad.”

   “No problem. Just make sure you spend most of it on Junior.” He gave me a firm look. “I like her, I really do. Much more than I like Laila.”

   Yeah, well, we all liked Junior more than Laila. I nodded at him. “Sure thing.”

   He turned back to the TV, effectively dismissing the conversation. We didn’t share much, and our brief showing of emotions last week was more than enough to dissuade anymore man to man talks for a while.

   Not wanting to drive, lest Laila woke up and saw me somewhere, I decided to walk. Even if Kyle wasn’t home, I’d camp in his house until he got there. The air was cool, and I could feel the rain still in the air, wanting to come down. Hopefully it wouldn’t rain on my short walk of four houses down.

   I couldn’t leave Laila. No matter how badly I didn’t want her anymore, I couldn’t let her go. I could, however, move on to Junior in hopes Laila would get the picture. Laila made the decisions, not me. And if she wanted me until she died, well, I would stay until she died. Even if I was miserable.

   The feeling depressed me. I could have fun with Junior, too. She was spunky and feisty, a big talker, and she kissed well, felt good, and made me forget my name when she came around. Laila should’ve stayed in the past, but I had no one to blame but myself. I had kissed her. I had wanted her back. And now she was back.

   Unfortunately.

   The only reason I had to keep her was because she hadn’t forgive me yet. Nobody ever talked about what I did, but I did it, and now I needed Laila’s forgiveness. That was all. And, dammit, she wasn’t going to give it to me. Not for anything. Why would she? I was the next best thing, the next rich boy—marrying me meant a life filled with money and fame, exactly what she was looking for in life. She’d probably have three or four kids by me, divorce me about ten years later, and take all my money with her.

   And I was powerless to stop it.

  I heard a surprised shriek coming from Kyle’s yard, and I saw Rena take off, chased by Chris. He laughed, grabbing her easily, since running was hard for her in those heavy cowboy boots. A peel of laughter escaped her mouth, and she wrapped her arms around his neck. He swooped in and kissed her, and I wanted to smile, even though I wasn’t romantic at all. He loved her. My best friend hadn’t loved any girl, but he loved the hell out of Rena. And they were a match made in Heaven. Here’s to hoping he didn’t fuck it up like I already was with Junior.

    “Hey,” I called, trying to let them know they had company, “there are kids in this neighborhood!”

    Without breaking away, both of them flipped me the bird. I laughed while Chris turned his head slightly to answer, “Yo, don’t hate because your girl is in there. Fifth wheelin’.”

   I caught the hint—leave them alone and go find Junior. I gave them a smile, but they were already moving off, making out like they were in the confines of a room. I knew he hadn’t hit it yet—and that meant Chris was deep in love. He normally didn’t even wait a week. It had been over two months.

   I opened the door to Kyle’s house. Junior was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the sofa, a pillow clutched to her chest, tears running down her face. I glanced at the TV. “The Princess and the Frog, Junior? Really? You know the fly dies!” I joked, sitting down next to her.

   She sniffled. “One, his name is Ray, and two, it doesn’t make it any less sad!” She wiped the tears from her eyes, sniffling.

   I laughed. “Sorry, I’m a boy. We don’t have feelings.”

  “Apparently.” She paused the movie, looking up at me with those tear-filled dark eyes. “What’re you doin’ here?”

   I shrugged, putting my arm around her shoulder. “Came to visit. I needed to leave the house.” She leaned into my side, and my mood went up about forty percent. “What are you doin’ here?”

   A grin went on her face. “Turns out, I was accidentally invited to this couples only party. Kyle made a remark that everyone should go back to his house for some fun after the movies, and I almost agreed, but then I realized he meant everybody with somebody. So I offered to go home, but they took my keys and told me I had to stay, no matter how awkward I felt. So now I’m cryin’ my eyes out over The Princess and the Frog, all alone.”

   Standard Junior. I hadn’t expected anything less. “Well, I’m here. So where’s everybody else?”

   “Chris and Rena are outside, actin’ like children on a playground. Honey and Kyle are in his room, talking, and Dante and Shay are…. Well, you don’t wanna know what they’re doin’. Kyle told them not on any of the beds, and Dante said he didn’t need a bed. I didn’t even ask, and I really don’t wanna know.” She shuddered.

   Oh, I had a few ideas, but I figured it’d be a little inappropriate to tell her, so I kept my mouth shut and changed the subject. “So, we gonna finish watchin’ the movie?” I asked, wanting her snuggled in my arms. I wrapped my other arm around her, holding her close to me.

   She pressed ‘play’, and I watched the ending with her. She laughed, cried, and made squeals of delight in the same places she had last time. I didn’t even understand what she saw in this movie, but I really didn’t care. If it made her happy, I’d play it all day.

  After the credits started rolling, she went back to Netflix and searched for another movie. We could hear Rena laughing outside. Junior wrinkled her nose. “Young love. It’s disgustin’.”

   “You think so?”

   “Definitely. Most of the time, it’s nothin’ but hormones. Sometimes it’s love, though. Like with Rena and Chris. Dante and Shay are hormones, plain and simple, even if she’s been around for two weeks.” She played with my hand, flipping it over and over.

   “And us? What about us?” I questioned.

   She seemed to give it serious thought, if her furrowed eyebrows and puckered lips were anything to go by. “We… are a good mixture. Half-hormones, half-somethin’ else. We both understand that there’s somethin’ goin’ on more than  a stupid bet.” She shrugged.

     “I thought we had quit that bet.”

     “We had. But you know what I mean. Even that first night, there was somethin’. You were kinda cute, too.” She laughed, detangling herself from my arms and standing up. She stretched, and the edge of her t-shirt raised up to reveal her flat, mocha colored stomach.

    “Kind of?”

     She nodded. “Gotta make sure you don’t have a big head.” She twirled, dancing to the music at the end of the credits, looking like a princess…. Which reminded me.

    “You going to the homecoming dance?”

     She paused in her spinning, smiling. “Yeah. Rena was gonna come with me, and Chris was gonna meet her there. Speakin’ of, we gotta go dress shoppin’ tomorrow.”

    Ask her, you idiot. Jesus, I was like a freshmen boy. I could talk to girls. “You wanna go with me?” I blurted out, feeling awkward. My face was turning red. Damn it. I was Duke. I was the master of all things girls.

   She blinked. “You wanna go dress shoppin’ with me?”

   Oh, God, she was going to make me repeat it. “No—to the dance.” I swallowed, my mouth suddenly feeling dry. I leaned back into the sofa, trying to appear relaxed.

   “Ohhhhh!” She smiled. “Sure.”

    Thank God. “Cool.” I smiled, at ease once again. “We can go dress shopping, too, if you want. Especially since I have to buy some dance worthy stuff anyway.” Did boys even go dress shopping with girls? Fuck, I hadn’t asked a girl to a dance in forever.

   She shook her head. “My dress has to be a surprise until Saturday night. I’ll go with Rena, and you can pick a different mall or different time to go shoppin’ for your stuff.” She sat down sideways in my lap, leaning against my chest. “You know, you’d be a great pillow.” A little yawn escaped her mouth.

   I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you fall asleep on me. I wanna talk to you about what I said earlier today.”

   She looked thoughtful. “What about it?” Her voice was guarded.

   “About tryin’ to actually date. We’d be good together. You keep me grounded.” And sane. I ran my fingers through those spirals. Her hair was soft and thick beneath my fingers.

   She was quiet, and I thought she had fallen asleep, but she answered me. “We would.” As soon as my heart started to get excited, she shot my offer down. “Not while Laila is still there. I’m neither a side chick not a rebound girl. You better decide on one of us before you step up to me askin’ to be serious.”

   I had already chosen her, but I couldn't tell her why I had to keep Laila around. Not without mentioning my faults. This was dangerous territory. So I swallowed down my pride and hurt feelings and tried a new direction. “So what now? Friends don’t sit in each other’s lap.”

    She grinned, shrugging. “Friends with benefits do. I don’t wanna date you right now, but I do want the benefits of a boyfriend. You know, havin’ someone to kiss and all that….” She puckered her lips playfully, but stayed out of my reach. “So a compromise—I do me, you do you, and if life happens that we end up datin’, well, so be it. But if you want me to be yours only right now, then you get rid of Laila.”

   I sighed, thinking of it. It sounded like a good deal. I’d just have to spread the word to the boys around school to leave Junior alone. I didn't want to see her with anybody else but me. “Just for clarification, we can still kiss, right?”

   She threw her head back and laughed, looking so happy and easy that the last bit of weariness went away, replaced by a light, care-free feeling. “Yes, Duke, we can kiss.” And then she laid one on me.

   Chapter Song; Do it Like You, Diggy Simmons

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

490K 16K 47
Hazel Deven wasn't your average teenage girl. She didn't like gossip or dresses, didn't obsess over boys, and hated how snobby the girls were at her...
11.1K 161 60
Jelle V. Vutch. An 18-year-old student who hadn't caught the lifetime event making him unable to finish his degree in college. Locked and anxious aft...
282K 14.6K 44
Xavier Jacobson. He's your average scene kid. He gets bullied because he's openly gay. He has nobody but his mother. Until he starts getting to know...
914K 43K 39
(BOOK 1) Drew Lyall knew his life would be full of obstacles. It was the fate he shared with all of the Omegas. Even though he knew the unlikelihood...