behind the scenes [completed]

By PictureInterest

Carter Young is an outgoing, all around friendly guy. Lacey Green is the opposite. Yes, she's friendly and c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue (part 1)
Epilogue (part 2)
END OF STORY AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 31

59 4 0
By PictureInterest

Please Excuse Any Mistakes
LACEY'S POINT OF VIEW

"Dammit, Dexter!"

Well that's not pleasant to wake up to.

I opened my eyes, sitting up quickly. I sighed as I got up, rushing out of my bedroom door and down the stairs.

Just as I reached the bottom, the fire alarm began to go off, making me cover my ears and wince.

"Bloody hell, get that the f*ck away from me Evan!" Dexter yelled out.

I groaned, reaching the archway.

I sucked in a breath as I looked in.

There was a fire on the stove, ingredients spilled on the counters, Dexter and Evan were now soaked in water, along with the the floors, because of what seemed to be their failed attempt to put out said fire.

Damn, all of our shenanigans have combined into one...

My eyes widened as I saw Evan, out of the corner of my eye, dash to the other side of the kitchen, holding metal tongs in one hand with a towel, that was on fire, in the clasps.

Then I heard a meow.

"F*ckin' hell" I muttered, looking behind me and seeing a small cat.

"EVAN, DEXTER WHAT DID YOU TWO DO?" I yelled, turning around.

Dexter's head snapped over to me as Evan threw the towel into the sink, spraying it with water until it went out.

The fire alarm was still blaring as I rushed into the kitchen to try and put out the fire on the stove.

Evan needs to be banned from the kitchen, all he does is light fires!

I grabbed the faucet and pulled the stretchy part out, turning around to spray the fire, only to see one sight.
Evan was holding flour, running to the stove, the bag open.

I quickly turned on the faucet and sprayed Evan, making him stop running to wipe his face.

Then, I turned, spraying down the fire until it was out. Dexter had taken down the fire alarm, making it shut up and Evan had put down the flour.

I clenched my jaw, returning the faucet end to its home and turning back to Evan and Dexter. I crossed my arms over my chest, hearing a purr and something brush against my leg.

I looked down and quickly scooped up the cat.

"Explain." I said simply.

Both began talking at the same time, blurting out words.

I raised an eyebrow.

Dexter put his hand over Evan's mouth, making him stop talking.

"O-- Evan did you just lick me?!" Dexter said, pulling his hand away from Evan's mouth.

"I'll make it short, " Evan started, brushing off his hands, "It was Dexter's fault!" He said, pointing at Dexter.

"No it wasn't! Evan wanted to make pancakes, and he forgot about them and lit them on fire because they burned, which made him freak out as I was sitting in the living room. I got pulled into this damn mess when he pulled me into the kitchen and tried pouring water onto the stove, but it spilled half way onto the flour. And then for some reason, he poured water on me, then I poured water on him for pay back."

He crossed his arms over his chest, eyes skipping down to the cat, "Oh and the cat, it's my sister's, I brought him over since she is visiting, his name is Murphy."

I groaned, "I'm not dealing with cleaning this up, it's your mess, your job." I said, leaving the kitchen and going to the couch, the cat still in my arms.

I heard the two groan as they argued over who was cleaning what.

Xx

Murphy meowed, curling up into a ball on my stomach.

I smiled as the small cat, hearing another curse from the kitchen.

I reached a hand down and started petting Murphy's head. My phone buzzed next to me. I used my free hand to pick it up, looking at the caller ID, Carter. I slid my finger across the screen, accepting the call.

"What's up, Bestie?" I asked.

I heard him chuckle, "Nothing much, what about you, Bestie?"

"Well, Dexter and Evan made a mess and there is a cat on my stomach" I said.

The line went silent, "Can I pet the cat?" He asked quietly.

I let out a laugh, "Yes, come over and you can pet Murphy"

"It's name is Murphy?"

I hummed, indicating he was right.

"I'll be over in like, 5 minutes." He said before he hung up.

I looked at the phone screen, letting out a short laugh before putting the phone down next to me and petting Murphy again.

A few minutes later, I heard Dexter call, "Lacey? Can you come here?"

I sighed, sitting up and picking up Murphy from my stomach before I got up from the couch and walked over to the kitchen.

I went in the kitchen.
"We have a problem..." Evan started. I looked over at him, noticing what was in his hands.

The porcelain pig...

In Evan's hands, he was holding different pieces of the broken porcelain pig, it was unrecognizable.

"Mom just bought that!" I yelled.

He winced, "I might have knocked it down earlier and didn't notice?" He said.

I groaned, glancing around the kitchen, being relieved at seeing it cleaned.

The door opened and I heard Carter, "Hey Bitchachos and Bitchola, plus sweet loving, beautiful kitty cat!" He said happily, coming towards the kitchen.

Carter ignored the broken porcelain in Evan's hands, Dexter and me as he walked in front of me and stole the cat from me, holding him close to his chest as he pet him with his pointer finger, mumbling to him unintelligibly in a high pitched voice.

I rolled my eyes and brushed past him, moving in front of Evan. I grabbed his hands and moved them to the counter, giving him a clue to drop the pieces on the counter. He did, then catching the attention of Carter.

He looked over curiously and walked over with Dexter.

Dexter looked in between Evan and I while Carter stood behind me, putting Murphy's front paws on my shoulder as Carter held up Murphy's butt. Once Murphy was situated, Carter put his head on top of mine.

"Wait, what did I miss?" He asked.

I sighed, "Evan broke the porcelain pig that our mom just bought." I said simply.

I felt him nod.

"Where did she buy it?" Evan asked.

"That craft fair on Friday" I said.

"So, yesterday?" I nodded in response, "Well, let's go take a three hour drive up to that craft fair then."

"You're f*cking joking right?" Dexter asked.

Evan shook his head, "Dude, if my mom sees her damn porcelain pig broken, she will murder me. We have to get a copy." he answered, grabbing Dexter's car keys off of the counter.

Dexter groaned as he plucked his keys from Evan's hand and trudged to the door.

"What about Murphy?" Carter asked sadly.

I heard the front door open, "Grab his special kitty kennel" he said.

Carter giggled as he ran out of the kitchen, Murphy in his hands, going on a search for the kitty kennel.

I quickly went up the stairs and changed before I went to the door, slipping on a pair of shoes and went to the kitchen and grabbed a few snacks and water bottles, knowing how Carter and Evan will be.

Maybe 15 minutes later, we all were outside, in Dexter's car. Evan was sitting in the passenger seat, deciding to be the DJ and the guider. Carter and I were in the back portion of the car, Carter behind Evan while I sat in the middle with the supplies and Murphy's special kitty kennel next to me. The kennel was small enough the fit in the back with us and had "Murphy's favorite" cushion inside of it. Carter even insisted on bringing all of Murphy's toys hat Dexter brought as well.

Xx

Only a 45 minutes into this journey and Carter already wanted a snack.

I reached into the bag and pulled out a small can of Pringles, tossing them at Carter.
He caught them before they hit the window.

I leaned forward between the two seats and snatched the aux cord Dexter forgot he had.

"Aw, f*ck you, Lacey" Evan said as he looked down at his now unconnected phone.

I plugged in my phone, hearing the beep that it was connected and quickly started playing my own music.

Murphy meowed from in his kennel and I turned the kennel so it was facing me. I stuck my finger through the door and pet his head, hearing him purr.

"Hi Murphy," I said softly.

I unlocked his door and gently took him out, placing him on my lap as he leaned onto me.

Murphy purred as I pet him, holding him against me.

Carter reached his hand over and started petting Murphy soon after.

Murphy eventually stood up from my lap and sat down in Carters.
He looked down at the cat fondly.

I watched him carefully. It was intriguing to watch someone interact with another living, breathing thing, especially one that was considered this small and precious.

Through the corner of his eye, Carter glanced up at me with a small smile. I raised an eyebrow as he rolled his eyes and looked back to the cat.

I leaned back into my seat, quietly listening to a Halsey song coming through the speakers.

Xx

We eventually reached our destination.

Murphy had fallen asleep on Carter's lap, which made Carter stare at him even more lovingly.

"Alright, we're here!" Dexter said, relieved.

Evan opened the door and jumped out, Dexter following after.

I looked over at Carter, seeing him hesitant on moving with a sleeping cat on his lap.

I sighed and slowly reached towards Murphy. I scooped him up, only making him stir. I quickly put him in his kennel and locked the door, seeing him fall right back to sleep.

Carter slipped out of the car, grabbing the backpack with our snacks in it and put it on his back.

I slid across the seats, pulling Murphy's cage with me. I got out of the car and Carter shut the door behind Murphy and me.

The car beeped, noting it locked. I looked forward and saw Dexter and Evan walking through the entry of the outside craft fair.

I felt Carter grab my hand and pull me forward, dragging me towards them.

We caught up to them just as Evan's phone rang.

He answered it with a smile, going a bit quicker and walking ahead of us.

Must have been Gwen. Ah, just couple things.

F*cking hell.

Dexter stopped abruptly, making me bump into his back, Murphy's kennel hitting the back of his leg and earning a startled meow from the cat.

"We don't have any idea where this damn porcelain pig stand is"

Carter threw his head back, "F*CK" he yelled.

A mom nearby gasped as her child giggled at Carter.

Dexter turned around and looked around, "We have obviously lost Evan already, so, this is how we are doing it," he reached forward and grabbed Murphy's cage, "We're splitting up. I'm taking Murphy and going to try and find Evan. You two, try to find that damn porcelain pig that the doofus broke." He said, speaking fast, his accent slipping in a bit more.

We both nodded as Dexter slipped into the large crowd.

I looked up at Carter, "Let's do this thing." I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the crowd.

A few minutes later, the only thing I could see were the backs of people's heads and backs, and was getting hit with bags.

Carter was tall enough to actually be able to look around.

Wait.

I tapped Carter's shoulder, making him look down at me, "I can't see shit. Can I get on your shoulders?" I asked.

He bent down to my height and look forward, "Damn, you really can't see shit." After that, he got down, allowing me to get on his shoulders. He stood back up, holding onto my legs as I put my hands down on his shoulders.

"OH MY F*CK IM SO HIGH UP, WHAT IS THIS SORCERY" I said in amazement.

He laughed and walked forward.

I looked around, being able to see the stands.

Wood carvings...
Pottery...
Food...

I furrowed my eyebrows.

Wine...
Feathery things...

We kept on going forwards.

I continued looking around.

Bratwurst,
cotton candy,
fancy nut-- cookies!

Off topic.

We made it past the food and into the more crafty things again.

The first thing I saw? Two porcelain pigs.

"STRAIGHT AHEAD CARTER! STRAIGHT AHEAD" I yelled down to him.

He rushed forward, going through the calm crowd quickly.

Carter seemed to spot the pigs quickly. I saw a purchase being made at the stand, one of the pigs being sold off.

Carter went even quicker to the old man at the stand, almost making me fall of his shoulders.

He stopped abruptly in front of the stand, bending down to get me off.

He stood up straight again as I pointed at the porcelain pig that was left, "I wanna buy that"

The old man blinked a few times, "You rushed that much for a-- a porcelain pig?" He asked slowly.

We nodded quickly.

He shook his head and turned to grab the pig, "Couples these days..." He grumbled.

I rolled my eyes as he returned, "125 dollars. Cash only" he said.

My mouth fell agape.

I hesitantly pulled out my wallet and opened it up, seeing only 50 dollars in cash.

I saw Carter pull out his wallet and glance over to me. He pulled out a 50 dollar bill and a few ones. He grabbed my 50 and counted the money, "We're 17 dollars short.

I felt a bit bad that Carter was paying for this damn pig too.

The man took the money from Carter and looked between us warily. He gave a short nod before he turned and put the money in the cash box he had, "Go ahead, take the pig and decorate an apartment together you millennials."
(A/N fun fact: you're a millennial if you born in the years 1986 - early 2000s, so all my characters in this book are millennials)

We both thanked him before I picked up the pig and held it close to me.

"Now we need to find Dexter and Evan..." Carter said.

Since this craft fair was outside, their was a larger area dedicated to food, and an even bigger area dedicated to little booths and demonstrations.

We passed by some stands, including a small pet adoption pl--

I stopped in my steps and sighed, grabbing onto Carter's arm and turning us so we were looking at the adoption area.
Just as I thought, Dexter and Evan were sitting in the pens to play with the animals. Dexter was sitting in the one with puppies in it, letting them climb on top of him while Evan was in the cat one, Murphy in his lap as other kittens started pawing at the end of Evan's jacket and trying to lay on top of Murphy.

I shook my head as we went towards them. Dexter looked up at us as we reached him, "Guys I think I want to adopt a puppy," he said suddenly.

I rolled my eyes and passed by him, leaving Carter with him and going to Evan. I held the pig close to me and looked down into the cage as Evan had his eyes closed as the kittens piled into his lap with Murphy.

"I am the kitten lord, Lacey" he said quietly.

I looked at Murphy, noticing him licking the face of one of the kitten who was lying next to him. He seemed to be completely okay with one who were lying on his head and the others who were crowded around him and making him sink more into Evan's lap.

I rolled my eyes and looked back over at the puppy cage, noticing that Dexter was gone.

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking around, until I saw him and Carter standing with one of the people helping out. Dexter was holding a puppy in his hand as he signed some sheets of paper, Carter by his side, holding the leash to another dog who looked a couple years old.

I shook my head and groaned as I left Evan and went over to Dexter, "What are you doing?" I asked him.

He looked over to me and smiled, "I adopted puppies" he said with a goofy smile on his face.

"Can you even afford dogs right now? You just moved here." I said.

He grinned and leaned towards me, "You'd be surprised how much you can make from YouTube ads and having a part-time job for two years"

I just shook my head again as I heard the a gate scrap open and close.

Evan came up next to me, holding Murphy, "At least I'm not being like Dexter" he said.

Dexter finished up with the adopting process and was given a few things before he turned to us, holding a puppy in his arms and holding the leash Carter was holding for the dog.

We started walking away from the area and walked in silence to the car.

Once we reached it, I plucked the car keys from Dexter's hand and put them in my back jean pocket and raised an eyebrow, handing the pig off to Carter.

"Dexter, honestly, what the f*ck dude." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

He sighed, "I've been here like two months. I have my own apartment, I take online classes, and am just a teenage, British youtuber who wants to adopt some dogs," He paused, "Besides, as I said before, I make a... Fair amount of money from YouTube, and I'm planning on getting a part-time job again, since rent in that apartment building is honestly hell."

"Do they allow dogs?" Carter asked.

Dexter nodded, "As long as they are under 86 pounds." he said.
He held up the puppy a small bit, "He's an Aussiedoodle, four months old," he paused and nodded towards the small dog on the leash, "And he is a little over two years old and is a Cheagle, his name is Oliver, he was dropped into a random person's back yard, and luckily was given over to the correct people." He said with a smile.

"The pup doesn't have a name?" Evan asked as he stood next to Dexter, Murphy eyeing the dogs wearily from Evan's grasp.

Dexter shook his head, "I might do the thing where you ask your followers for ideas, 'cause I'm just that lame and uncreative guys."

I rolled my eyes and unlocked the car before I have Dexter the keys back.
I turned to the car. Carter opened the door and slipped in, bringing the porcelain pig with him. I took Murphy from Evan and put him in his kennel, slid his kennel in, Carter grabbing it and putting it on his lap, putting the porcelain pig in the middle seat.

Evan got in the passenger seat, Dexter's puppy in his arms.

I was in the remaining seat in the back, Oliver sitting in my lap.

Dexter got into the driver's seat and started the car, managing to get out of the parking lot quickly.

Now, commence the three hour drive.
Now featuring two dogs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

680K 35.1K 44
It's an endless search for something that even the sharpest eyes cannot see. [Beautiful cover made by rigor_samsa.]
37.5K 1.7K 25
Abisinden şiddet gören bi kızın kurtulmak için bulduğu çözümle kendini çekişmeli bi aşkın içinde bulur...
BLUE BLOOD By ec

Teen Fiction

363K 13.7K 63
Anybody who is a somebody knows that the blue-blooded heirs of Queens Erlington Academy keep secrets. Never fall in love with a blue blood or you'll...
28.7M 913K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...