The Pursuit

De WritingGals

Bethany Bridges leaves the town she grew up in Washington to pursue her dreams of becoming an architect in th... Mai multe

Sneak Peek
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Epilogue

Sixteen

24.5K 720 40
De WritingGals

SIXTEEN 

"Peyton!" I watched as Caleb scooped up the little boy in his arms. "You've grown up so big, haven't you little one?"

He kissed the boy's forehead lovingly as if he'd known him forever. He must have to have that look of pure joy on his face. Even he hasn't looked that happy with me, though I wasn't bitter about it. It was a kid!

 "I have Uncle Caleb!" Peyton squealed wiggling out his arms to get down. "I have to pee."

I couldn't help but laugh at his comment gaining the boy's attention drawn to me. He scrutinized me for a moment before crossing his legs and looking up at Caleb. 

"Peyton, what is it that I told you about announcing your needs?" The new voice belonged to an absolutely beautiful woman walking in with four others with her. 

The little boy sighed. "May I use the bathroom, Uncle Caleb?"

Caleb grinned and pointed him to the door all the way on the other side of the entire room. "Just over there, Peyton."

The boy zoomed off to the direction Caleb pointed too.

"Hi Uncle Caleb."

Another small boy walked up to him with a huge grin. 

"Luke, buddy!" He held out his hand for a high five. "I'm guessing you're too old for a hug?" 

"That boy won't even let his father kiss him good night," the man who had his arms preoccupied with a little girl stated with a smile.

"Luke, my angel, go hug your uncle."

He did so without further encouragement. "Sorry I missed your seventh birthday, buddy. To make up for it, I have presents for you."

His eyes lit up at the sound of presents. "It's okay. I forgive you."

Caleb patted him on the back before giving a man hug/handshake to the other man in the room. "How are you Parker? How's everything?" He cooed over the little girl in his arms who smiled giddily up at him.

Parker? Wasn't that his best friend and the owner of British Airways? The woman must be Eleanor! If I remembered correctly, she was the one who he tried to steal from his friend or something.

"Elle. Lovely to see you again," he hugged her with the bundled baby in her arms. "And this must be Howard. Hi there." 

Caleb's interactions with the kids were too sweet to watch. He was a natural among them. 

"Oh Caleb. I've missed seeing your smiling face around the house!" She exclaimed hugging him tightly to her. "I wished you'd come back."

"Sorry Elle," Caleb grinned apologetically, "but I don't want to go home just yet."

"Oh?" She looked quite offended. "And why is that?"

His eyes flicked over to me and beckoned for me to come over. With a shy look, I sidled up next to him in front of the gorgeous couple in front of us. Wow I wasn't even one to compare to Eleanor's stunning self. 

"Oh," she nodded slowly, a smile slowly sliding on her face. "Now I see why."

I held out my hand to shake hers. "I'm Bethany Bridges. It's a pleasure to finally be meeting you!"

She adjusted the baby on one arm and shook mine gently but firm. "Nice to meet you, Bethany. You must be the friend that Caleb wanted us to meet." A stab of pain shot through me as she called me just Caleb's friend.

I turned to exchange looks with Caleb who was too joyed by their visits to notice me. 

"Mr. Jenkins," I shook hands with the CEO of the company I worked at. I was face to face with the owner and president! "It's with my gratification to be meeting you."

He smiled humbly at me setting the girl down on her feet following her older brother to the couches. "Pleased to meet you Bethany, and please call me Parker."

"Ann's fine as well," I suggested returning his smile. 

Caleb grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his. 

Elle didn't miss glancing at the action. "Caleb never mentioned he had a girlfriend. A gorgeous one at that."

"Caleb didn't have time," he answered for himself beckoning for us to walk more into his place. 

"I'll go ahead and set up the table I never got to do," I told Caleb with a smile. "Meanwhile, you can catch up with your friends?"

"I don't want to leave you alone," he frowned, his thumb making circles on my hand.

"It'll only be for a moment," I assured him letting go and excused myself to his guests.  

I opened up a bunch of cabinet doors before finding the one where all of his plates and glasses were located. For a bachelor living on his own, he was pretty tidy and organized. I carried eight plates in my arms with silverware on top going out into the balcony.

Marcus was now happily watching me from his spot in the corner no longer finding me a threat. I placed the plates on top of a rectangular patio table and placed it in front of the seats. I placed a set of silverware on each one.

"I think four plates would be just fine for us adults." Elle appeared outside with a kind smile directed towards me. "I fed the kids before we arrived. They're quite the picky eaters, and God knows what kind of exotic entrees Caleb whips up."

"That does sound logical." Flustered, I picked up the other half of plates and placed them in the middle.

Elle laughed and helped me with the silverware. "No worries. Is there any way I can help?"

"I think I have everything. Thank you though." 

She pulled out a chair and sat in it watching me as I rearranged the smallest of things. "You say your name is Bethany and go by Ann?"

I nodded. "Preferably. Caleb doesn't seem to do the nickname thing though."

"It's the same with Parker. I can count on both of my hands the times he's only called me Elle." She looked at me as if I was being examined for a check up at the doctor's. "So how did you meet Caleb?"

"I work at British Airways," I told her, "or intern there at least. I'm one of the architect interns."

"Oh really?" She genuinely looked surprised. "I guess Caleb has found his match."

I shook my head politely. "I doubt that. We've only been together for a month at least."

"Well look at my husband and I. We've never been together at all, and we married just like that." I watched her as she retrogressed into her own little world before realizing she was with company. "Do you have real interest in Caleb?"

I was astounded by her abrupt question. The smile left her face, and her eyes narrowed in on me from across her.

"Well are you?"

I nodded my head furiously, offended that she would automatically think that. "Of course. Caleb's been good to me."

"Just good?" She questioned.

"We both share the same feelings for each other," I guaranteed her. "If you're implying that I'll hurt him, I'm trying my damn hardest to not."

She took in my words slowly before resuming her kind expression. "Good. Caleb's like a brother to me. I  don't think I'm in the place to reveal such things about him, but he's been hurt too many times by others. Myself included."

"I understand," I said feebly, playing with the hands in my laps.

"I hope you don't think I'm some kind of witch," Elle told me laughing. "I'm not. I just think Caleb finally deserves a woman he could be with forever."

"We're just seeing where things takes us. I don't think it's forever yet."

"Yet," she repeated winking at me. "Come on. Let's go see what the boys are doing." She stood up from the chair holding out a hand for me to take.

We entered hearing discussions from the couch where Caleb and Parker were seated. One of the boys, Luke or Peyton (I still need to put a name to a face), was showing them one of his new toys that Caleb bought. How well Caleb was with young children surprised me. I thought seeing as he'd been single all his life that he didn't like kids or something. But I guess I couldn't judge him on that.

"Where's Howard?" Elle asked her husband.

"He's asleep on my bed," Caleb answered for him directing a smile at her. "He's beat out."

"He did not take his nap," Eleanor sighed rubbing Parker's shoulders. "And I am starving. Caleb, where's that delicious dinner you promised us?"

"I'm just cooling it off. Bethany, mind helping me?" 

"Sure." I was glad to be doing something rather than standing in the room awkwardly. I felt quite out of place between them. The three seemed to be super close with each other.

I followed him into the kitchen where he instructed me to get another plate for the salmon and a huge bowl for the salad. Caleb placed the two salmons on the plate side by side creating a steam of absolute heaven.

"This looks enticing," I complimented him placing the plate onto the counter. I went back to the cabinets looking for a bowl. "Caleb, where the hell do you keep your bowls?"

I felt his presence behind me as he reached over my shoulders taking out a huge ceramic one. "Right here, sweetheart." He dropped a kiss onto my bare shoulder and retreated; I missed the warmth of him already. 

I helped throw in the salad together and went out to the balcony where everyone else were at.

"Oh, Caleb," Eleanor moaned in delight smile closing her eyes and inhaling. "That is very appetizing! I can't wait."

"Just for you, Elle," he winked pulling out a chair for me to sit in.

The four of us were seated on two sides, facing each other. The little boys and their only daughter, whose name was Cass short for Cassandra, were busy playing with Marcus in the corner. Caleb, like the gentleman he was, he placed a serving on all of our plates plus the salad. 

Conversation was saved for later as we all dug in, satisfying all of our hungers at once. We took turns complimenting Caleb on his skills as much as Parker hated doing so. 

"So, Ann, where do you work?" Parker asked me who was sitting right across from me. 

"Oh, honey, she's one of the interns!" Elle told him eagerly. She sent an apologetic look my way. "Sorry, I should have let you answered."

"It's fine," I brushed away her apology with a smile, "but yes, she's correct. I work as an architect intern. It's where I met Caleb actually." I exchanged warm smiles with him. He took my hand in his large one. 

"Really? How's the internship going?"

"Wonderful," I said then proceeded on explaining what we've been doing at his request. My guilt and conscience were eating me up on the insides as I kept the fact that I didn't have a degree from them. "The internship is a great opportunity for people like myself. So thank you, Parker, for setting that up."

Elle looked at her husband proudly. "It was my pleasure. I wish you the best on it." He tipped his wine glass towards me in acknowledgement. 

That ended the rest of formal topics and discussions. The couple decided to inform me in on many of Caleb's embarrassing stories. I expected to hear them from his family, but Parker and Eleanor might as well be his. They knew so much about him, it was crazy. Although it was the exact same friendship I had with Emma from back home.

"Uncle Caleb!" The older of the boys, Luke I think, walked up to Caleb's side. He gave his undivided attention towards the young boy and picked him up. 

"Yes buddy?" He asked tickling him in the sides.

After recovering from the tickle attack, he wrapped his arms around his tummy as protection. "Who is she?" He whispered not so subtlety and pointed at me shyly. 

Caleb turned his head giving me a look that sent my toes curling. "Her name's Bethany. Bethany, this is Luke." Ha! I was right.

I put a hand on Caleb's shoulder taking a good look at Luke. "Hi Luke. It's very nice to meet you."

"You're really pretty," he told me in his way too adorable British accent. The little boy blushed hiding his face from me behind Caleb's head. 

I laughed and moved my head to look at him. "Why thank you, Luke. You're the first guy that's told me so."

"I've called you beautiful," Caleb told me teasingly. "Beat that, Luke."

"Is she your gir- girlfriend, Uncle Caleb?" 

"Yes, buddy, so I can't lose her to you, you hear? You keep your eyes on girls your age."

"But she's really pretty!" He pouted getting bolder in front of me. "I want her to be my girlfriend too. Mummy says sharing... Sharing is..." He looked at his mother for help. She mouthed the last word to him. "Sharing is caring. Mum said so."

All four of us adults laughed at his little antics. "There are things you just don't share, Luke." Parker told his son admiringly.

"Okay," he resigned, relaxing into his uncle's arms.

"Don't worry, Luke. Once your uncle breaks my heart, I'll come running to you," I teased ruffling his hair up.

"No chances of that," Caleb stated clearly kissing me on my temple. He placed Luke back down on his feet. "Why don't you play with Marcus some more? He hasn't had many friends in the dog pound."

The night was a joyous one for all of us. I never had much fun with friends in a long time. Eleanor was an absolutely sweetheart including me in on all of their stories, and Parker had Caleb on his toes throughout the entire evening.

The salmon was wiped clean from the plate with remaining salad left in the bowl. I offered to put away the dishes, but Caleb didn't want me to saying and I quote, "I have someone to come in tomorrow." That man was such a lazy ass.

"No, I'll help her too," Eleanor sided with me picking up all of the plates. "It could give us two some chance to talk alone."

"About how perfect your men is?" Parker winked kissing her on the cheek. 

"Oh yeah," she nodded acerbic. "Come on, Ann."

I gave Caleb a 'what can you do' look and followed her in with dirty dishes in my hands. She placed her pile in the sink, and I put mine right on top turning the faucet on. 

"I haven't done this in a long time," she pursed her lips. "I'll wash and you can dry."

We got started on the pile in front of us silently except for the sound of running water, plates hitting against each other, and then suddenly the soft cries of a baby upstairs.

"Oh! Howard is probably scared being in a new environment." Eleanor turned the water off and dried her hands on a clean sheet of paper towel. "Hold on a minute, Ann. I'll just go get him."

"Sure," I smiled watching her run up the stairs. 

I sighed and turned back around to the sink finishing up the last remnants in the sink, so Elle could just give her attention to her youngest son. After having four children, she still looked stunning and very young. Parker must be feeling like the luckiest man in the world.

The cries of the baby got louder as Elle appeared sitting down on a stool on the island. She was busy trying to coo him down through talks and swaying him around.

"How old is he?" I asked peering at the small tuft of blonde hair on him.

"Just eight months old," she replied proudly with a beaming smile. "Out of all my kids, he's been the easiest to take care of at this age."

"Parker seems like an excellent husband though," I told her. "He must have helped a lot."

She nodded and looked at me. "He wasn't with me for our eldest sons baby years, but he's been an angel with all four of them now." At my puzzled expression, she explained, "Luke and Peyton aren't biologically his, but that doesn't make a difference in our family."

"I adore your family," I told her truthfully. "One day I wish I could have one just like yours."

Eleanor laughed making the baby start to cry once again. "Maybe you can put up Caleb on that." She winked.

I blushed at the thought of marrying Caleb. Could it really happen? It seemed way too good to be true. "I know you said it wasn't any of your business..." She motioned for me to continue. "But, has there been any girls before me? Has he had any serious relationships?"

She bit on her lip, reluctant to tell me. "What has he told you?"

I shrugged. "Nothing much. Before we became official, he just said he has 'fun' with girls. Flings or something. That's all he told me."

"Look, I don't want him getting mad at me, so I won't say anything." All hopes of finding out more about that girl in the picture went out the drain. "But when you get the chance, go ask him about a Liv Erling."

Liv Erling. 

--A/N

Merry Christmas (eve) Everyone! This is my little present for you guys :) Hope you're having a splendid day with your family, and let's not forget what Christmas is about! What's on your wishlist? ;)

Happy Holidays!

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

1.7M 53.2K 72
One day you're happy, and the next, a freak accident exposes your boyfriend's dirty little secrets in the worst possible way. I lost the man I loved...
464K 16.7K 40
[The book is currently under high editing. Current chapter: Chapter 1] This isn't your typical business romance book you find with the sexy secretary...
530 49 23
Hannah meets Max - who broke out of prison. Despite her head telling her he is dangerous, she can't help being attracted to him. - - - ♡ - - - A regu...
85.8K 3.7K 43
Book 2 | Completed | "So, what now?" Lydia asked. "Now...we send his ass back to prison." Sean Williams has been through a lot in the past 5 months...