Star Wars: I Am a Slave ✓

By SapphireAlena

Rey in the hands of Unkar Plutt calls out in the Force for her mommy. Anakin hears his granddaughter's call a... More

Copyright Notice & Disclaimer
Chapter 1 - Hiding from the Bad Man
Chapter 2 - Force Barriers
Chapter 3 - You're Not Ready
Chapter 4 - Hide and Seek
Chapter 5 - Sandstorm
Chapter 6 - Vader
Chapter 7 - Raid
Chapter 8 - Electronics, Mathematics & Wookiees
Chapter 9 - The Ravager
Chapter 10 - The Girl with the Staff
Chapter 11 - The X-Wing
Chapter 13 - X-Wings and Pilots
Chapter 14 - Power Generators & Flight Simulators
Chapter 15 - Salvaging the TIE
Chapter 16 - TIE Advanced Simulator
Chapter 17 - Relations
Chapter 18 - Lift-Off
Chapter 19 - The Falcon
Chapter 20 - Revelations
Chapter 21 - My Father
Chapter 22 - Salvage Crews
Chapter 23 - I Am Not Vader
Chapter 24 - Show Her the Light
Chapter 25 - I Am No One
Chapter 26 - Bargain Rather Than Fight
Chapter 27 - Teleport Me Off This Rock
Chapter 28 - Processing Unit
Chapter 29 - A New Find
Chapter 30 - Tuanul Village
Chapter 31 - Visions of a Creature
Chapter 32 - Teedo and the Droid
Chapter 33 - Disturbing Dreams
Chapter 34 - Garbage Will Do
Chapter 35 - Are We Really Doing This?
Chapter 36 - Tractor Beam
Chapter 37 - Twelve Parsecs
Chapter 38 - Bala Tik & Tasu Leech
Chapter 39 - Hyperspace
Chapter 40 - The Jedi Were Real
Chapter 41 - Takodana
Chapter 42 - Luke's Lightsaber
Chapter 43 - We Have What We Want
Chapter 44 - Dreaming of Ani
Chapter 45 - You're Afraid
Chapter 46 - Drop Your Weapon
Chapter 47 - Escape Now, Hug Later
Chapter 48 - The Face of My Son
Chapter 49 - The Battle in the Forest
Chapter 50 - Reunion on D'Qar
Chapter 51 - Dinner with Mother
Chapter 52 - Thank the Maker
Chapter 53 - May the Force Be With You
Chapter 54 - Rey
Chapter 55 - Master Luke
Chapter 56 - Granddad Again
Chapter 57 - Nothing Is Impossible
Chapter 58 - Lightsaber Drills
Chapter 59 - Lesson Learned
Chapter 60 - Advanced Saber
Chapter 61 - Force Visions
Chapter 62 - Force Lightning
Chapter 63 - Saber Gems
Chapter 64 - Back to the Staff
Chapter 65 - Then Make Me Ready
Chapter 66 - The Temple
Chapter 67 - Don't Be Deceived
Chapter 68 - Back to D'Qar
Chapter 69 - The Curse on Our House
Chapter 70 - Escape from D'Qar
Chapter 71 - Prisoner of War
Chapter 72 - Only For You, Mother
Chapter 73 - Meeting Uncle Luke
Chapter 74 - What Have I Done?
Chapter 75 - Funeral for a General
Chapter 76 - Occlusions
Chapter 77 - Execution
Chapter 78 - Leading by Love
Chapter 79 - Escape
Chapter 80 - Cleansing
Chapter 81 - There Is Still Hope
Chapter 82 - Juyo

Chapter 12 - The Speeder

549 33 28
By SapphireAlena

When they arrived back to the AT-AT, Ani said, "Grab the crate with the parts from the junk pile and bring it out here."

Rey obeyed and dragged the heavy crate out. Ani could have easily brought it with the Force, but he was purposefully having Rey do as much of the heavy work herself to build her strength. 

"Why do I need this junk?" Rey asked as she struggled with the heavy shipping crate.

"Open it. We're looking for the two repulsor lifts."

"The what?"

"The repulsor lifts. Take one part out at a time."

As she did, Ani identified each part. Then he had her go over the names again. Finally, he allowed her to take the two repulsor lifts and instructed how to put the speeder together.

It took almost two months to finish the speeder, requiring not only time to assemble the piece, but time to salvage from different wrecks as well. The most important pieces Rey had to reclaim from the Ravager's landing craft bays at night, so that the other salvage crews would not harass her.

Ani was patient with her as she made mistakes or as parts that seemed to be fine needed to be repaired and reinstalled.

But today was the day. If Rey could not get the speeder to work, she was going to have to hitch a ride with a salvage crew to Niima Outpost and sell the few parts she had left for rations. The ration packets Ani had stolen for her were gone.

Rey climbed aboard the one-seater speeder. She primed the engine and flicked a few toggles before igniting the thrusters. The engines shuddered and then died. She tried the sequence again, holding her breath. And again. And again. And again. And still nothing. She kicked the speeder and banged on the top of it with her fists, yelling at it in frustration and dissolving into tears.

"Stop, Rey," Ani said. "Your anger is not going to solve this problem."

"It's not going to work, Granddad."

"It will. Just need to figure out where the connection is loose."

Rey hopped down off the speeder and raised the side of the engine compartment. "Trace the cables. Tighten every connection."

The scavenger did so and then tried the start-up sequence again. Nothing. 

"Check the hoses. Run your hands across each one, checking for any leaks."

She wiped her hands on her dirty clothes, wishing not for the first time for the luxury of a real bath, but knowing that would not be coming any time soon. She started with the hoses at the front of the compartment and worked her way to the rear thrusters.

"Here it is—got a nick in this hose." She grabbed the binding tape out of her bag and tightly wrapped the hose.

"We'll need to find a replacement hose eventually. That tape won't stand up to the heat that long," Ani said.

When she had closed the engine compartment again, Rey climbed atop the speeder. She primed the engine, flipped the toggles, and hit the ignition. The engines coughed again. Rey hit the ignition again, and after a short cough they came to life. Rey screamed in exultation.

She grabbed the controls and hit the throttle with her foot. The speeder rocketed forward across the sand. Rey held on for dear life, as the power and the speed exhilarated her. She spent the next hour speeding around the graveyard, testing the small craft's abilities.

As the sun reached its zenith, Rey headed back to the AT-AT. She grabbed her carry bag, stuffing as many parts as would fit inside it. She shoved her staff on her back and climbed back on top of the speeder, heading into Niima Outpost.

Rey approached the bazaar with trepidation. Had it only been a few weeks since she was last here, forced to clean parts at that table? The parts she had with her were clean already, but she knew on her next trip she would be spending time at the table, paying a fee to use the scrubbers and the water.

A line of four beings stood in front of Unkar's trading booth. The crime boss appeared to be in a bad mood today, but Rey could not do anything about it.

She needed rations, and she needed them today. She grabbed the hooded cloak out of her bag and put it on. It made her sweat more, but she hoped Unkar would take her for a Teedo and not recognize her. She hoped he thought her dead after the speeder attack a few months ago.

When it was Rey's turn, Unkar yelled, "Next!"

Rey reached up and put her pieces on the counter.

Unkar lifted the first piece and looked over it. He made a guttural response. Then he took the next piece, pleased with it as well. After looking at all twenty pieces, he said, "Five portions."

The girl was upset. She knew they were worth more. "Those pieces have all been repaired. In working condition, they are worth forty pieces."

"Ha! But who else will buy them from you?" Unkar asked.

Rey bit her lip. She needed those rations, but she was not going to just take what Unkar offered without at least trying for more.

The Crolute reached out with a sweaty fin and pulled her hood off her head.  "So, the little girl didn't die." He made some quick movements toward his two guards out of Rey's sight.

Unkar turned and started counting out the sealed portion packets as his guards came around to the front of the booth and grabbed Rey from behind.

Right before they grabbed her, Rey took her staff in hand and swung it strongly against the first attacker. She kicked, bit, and swung left, right, up, and down. Ani joined in, taking out the other attacker.

Unkar yelled, "It's Vader! It's Vader!"

When both men were down, Rey turned back to Unkar. "I will now take my forty portions." 

Unkar quickly grabbed another twenty portions, looking around nervously for Vader's ghost. Ani played with him, banging the booth near his head, making him jump. Rey heard Ani giggle a little and had a hard time keeping her face straight as she loaded the portions into her bag.

After trading ten of her portions for two large containers of water and hanging them with a rope over the top of the engine compartment, Rey headed back to the walker. Tomorrow, she would start scavenging for real.

As she bundled down on the floor of the walker for bed, she asked Ani, "Granddad, who's Vader?"

"Someone who doesn't exist anymore, Sweetie. I wish he had never existed." 

Rey turned out her glow-lamp, pondering those words.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 55.1K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
351K 10.7K 89
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
263K 8.5K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...
615K 13.9K 41
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.