Star Wars: I Am a Slave ✓

By SapphireAlena

Rey in the hands of Unkar Plutt calls out in the Force for her mommy. Anakin hears his granddaughter's call a... More

Copyright Notice & Disclaimer
Chapter 1 - Hiding from the Bad Man
Chapter 2 - Force Barriers
Chapter 3 - You're Not Ready
Chapter 4 - Hide and Seek
Chapter 5 - Sandstorm
Chapter 6 - Vader
Chapter 7 - Raid
Chapter 8 - Electronics, Mathematics & Wookiees
Chapter 10 - The Girl with the Staff
Chapter 11 - The X-Wing
Chapter 12 - The Speeder
Chapter 13 - X-Wings and Pilots
Chapter 14 - Power Generators & Flight Simulators
Chapter 15 - Salvaging the TIE
Chapter 16 - TIE Advanced Simulator
Chapter 17 - Relations
Chapter 18 - Lift-Off
Chapter 19 - The Falcon
Chapter 20 - Revelations
Chapter 21 - My Father
Chapter 22 - Salvage Crews
Chapter 23 - I Am Not Vader
Chapter 24 - Show Her the Light
Chapter 25 - I Am No One
Chapter 26 - Bargain Rather Than Fight
Chapter 27 - Teleport Me Off This Rock
Chapter 28 - Processing Unit
Chapter 29 - A New Find
Chapter 30 - Tuanul Village
Chapter 31 - Visions of a Creature
Chapter 32 - Teedo and the Droid
Chapter 33 - Disturbing Dreams
Chapter 34 - Garbage Will Do
Chapter 35 - Are We Really Doing This?
Chapter 36 - Tractor Beam
Chapter 37 - Twelve Parsecs
Chapter 38 - Bala Tik & Tasu Leech
Chapter 39 - Hyperspace
Chapter 40 - The Jedi Were Real
Chapter 41 - Takodana
Chapter 42 - Luke's Lightsaber
Chapter 43 - We Have What We Want
Chapter 44 - Dreaming of Ani
Chapter 45 - You're Afraid
Chapter 46 - Drop Your Weapon
Chapter 47 - Escape Now, Hug Later
Chapter 48 - The Face of My Son
Chapter 49 - The Battle in the Forest
Chapter 50 - Reunion on D'Qar
Chapter 51 - Dinner with Mother
Chapter 52 - Thank the Maker
Chapter 53 - May the Force Be With You
Chapter 54 - Rey
Chapter 55 - Master Luke
Chapter 56 - Granddad Again
Chapter 57 - Nothing Is Impossible
Chapter 58 - Lightsaber Drills
Chapter 59 - Lesson Learned
Chapter 60 - Advanced Saber
Chapter 61 - Force Visions
Chapter 62 - Force Lightning
Chapter 63 - Saber Gems
Chapter 64 - Back to the Staff
Chapter 65 - Then Make Me Ready
Chapter 66 - The Temple
Chapter 67 - Don't Be Deceived
Chapter 68 - Back to D'Qar
Chapter 69 - The Curse on Our House
Chapter 70 - Escape from D'Qar
Chapter 71 - Prisoner of War
Chapter 72 - Only For You, Mother
Chapter 73 - Meeting Uncle Luke
Chapter 74 - What Have I Done?
Chapter 75 - Funeral for a General
Chapter 76 - Occlusions
Chapter 77 - Execution
Chapter 78 - Leading by Love
Chapter 79 - Escape
Chapter 80 - Cleansing
Chapter 81 - There Is Still Hope
Chapter 82 - Juyo

Chapter 9 - The Ravager

596 33 42
By SapphireAlena

A few weeks later, Rey found herself in an overpacked landspeeder towing a repulsor lift across the Goazan Badlands, headed for the salvage site. Ani hovered next to her as the vehicle racedover the dunes, pointing out the different craft as they passed them.

"That's an X-wing fighter." Ani pointed to a glass canopy and S-foils breaking through the dunes. 

The scavengers with Rey were silent and edgy. They knew that she was communicating with the Ghost of Vader, and they were afraid of any calamities that might occur if he were displeased.

Ani continued with his analysis. "It will be a good ship to scavenge for some of things you will need right away. Doesn't look like anyone has gotten to it yet."

"What's that?" Rey pointed to something that was lying on its side with four legs.

"A walker—personnel transport."

"It's huge."

"Wait until you see the Ravager." Ani smiled with pride. He looked more closely at the walker and said, "That might just do."

"What?"

"No one has touched that walker yet, either. Probably too busy with the star destroyer. I think we might be able to make use of it for you, Rey." Ani thought through the requirements Rey would need.

The girl looked out across the wasteland, unsure of what her granddad meant. More TIE fighters appeared, their solar panels in pieces, half-buried in the sand. Other ships were barely noticeable above the sand, impossible to determine what they were. But nothing could prepare her for the Super Star Destroyer Ravager when the speeder pulled around a cliff.

Ani spoke as Rey sucked in her breath, "The Super Star Destroyer Ravager, 19 kilometers in length, 13 thrust engines, over 5,000 turbo lasers and ion cannons. Minimum crew 280,000."

"How do you know all this, Gr- Ani?"

"Her sister ship, The Executor, was my flagship." Longing tinged his voice.

The speeder pulled up to the central portside docking ring, which stood open to the elements and sand. A pile of sand had accumulated inside the entry hatch.

After disembarking the landspeeder, the salvage crew put on gloves and gave Rey a pair of large leather ones. They kept slipping off, so one of the guys wrapped binding tape around the cuffs directly to Rey's wrists. The crew piled equipment into backpacks and led Rey up the raked passageways.

Because of the steep pitch of the ship in the sand, ropes had been strung down the decking for handholds. The crew struggled hand-over-hand up the ropes for kilometers, resting at predetermined breaks.

During one such break, Rey asked, "Where are you taking me?"

The leader did not say a word and motioned for the rest to be silent. "Can't say. There might be other scavengers around."

Ani said, "You're headed to the bridge, Rey."

"The bridge?"

"The command center. Must be something up there they need."

After two hours of climbing, they reached a real ladder that scaled a bulkhead. However, due to the incline of the ship, the ladder lay at a 75-degree incline over their heads. Climbing on it would require holding on for dear life as one's back would be to the current floor. Gravity would pull at the weight of the climbers as they tried to move to the bridge.

Camaraderie flowed among the salvage crew. As each of the team would enter the hatch to the bridge, the ones above him would pull him up. Rey was the second-to-last to go up, but she found it quite easy to scrabble up due to her slight form and all of the climbing Ani had been making her do in the cellar.

When Rey was up, she looked around at the bridge—the catwalk between the two command trenches. Then she notice her granddad's ghost walking slowly with his hands behind his back straight down the catwalk to the viewport. "Ani, what are you doing?"

"Remembering a time long-past," Ani said bittersweetly. "Join with me, and I'll let you see what this looked like in her prime days."

Rey closed her eyes and allowed her awareness to meld with her grandfather's. All of a sudden she saw the bridge, lit in red. The blackness of space and an unknown starscape hung outside. Two other star destroyers passed by the viewport, colliding. Three officers stood to the portside. Another ten officers huddled around control panels in each of the command trenches.

"Why is everything red, Ani?"

"That is how I remember it. My life-support mask had red lenses."

Rey puzzled over that last statement. The tone with which her grandfather had spoken indicated he did not want to discuss it further.

The leader, whose name she had figured out was Kurat'suh, spoke to his team. "This is where the fun begins. Unkar has an order for the computer modules. We're going to disable the entire array from both trenches and then lower them through the viewport. Let's get going. Girl, you stay close to me. We will need you to get into the tight crawl spaces."

Rey nodded. As the crew took off their gloves for precise manipulation of their tools, she stripped the binding tape off her wrists, removed her gloves, and shoved them into the carryall bag Unkar had given her earlier that day.

As the day wore on, the temperature climbed in the Ravager. Without the life-support devices working, Jakku's intense heat turned the Ravager into an oven.

Sweat pouring down each scavenger's face interfered with their vision as they used their portable power tools to unbolt the computers from the deck. Eventually, Kurat'suh called Rey over. "Think you can get in there, Girl?" he asked, pointing at a small access panel. "Undo all the bolts and wires?"

"Spanner," she said, holding her hand out.

Kurat'suh dug a hydrospanner out of his toolbag and handed it to her. He also gave her a pair of pinchers and torque driver. He secured a headlamp to her skull and turned it on.

Rey knelt down at the narrow access tube and crawled inside. It was slightly cooler inside the crawlspace but tight. She reached the first terminal connections soon after. Two bolts secured it to the deck inside the crawlspace, and many leads scattered off in different directions down the tube. 

The lithe girl started on the bolts, tugging and pushing until one finally moved. The other was frozen.

Rey sat down and took a break, frustrated. 

Ani said, "You're getting it, Rey. What do we do in the cellar when something won't move?"

"Use more force," Rey said.

"Yes, but not more force but the Force. Try again." 

Rey screwed up her face in concentration and tried using the Force on the bolt. After a few seconds of hesitation, it started unscrewing slowly.

"Very good!"

"How about these wires?" Rey pointed to a nest of multi-colored wires leading from the terminal housing.

"You can't disconnect them without cutting them. Use your pinchers. There's a cutting feature near the joint."

Rey reached up and snipped the wires. She then crawled back to the access port. "First one's done. Had to cut the wires, though. They were kilometers long and would take all day just to do one set."

"Can't be helped. Go in order and finish up the rest in this trench, then we'll do the other trench. Bang on the unit when you're done so we can pull it out," Kurat'suh said.

Rey squirmed back into the access tunnel and started on the next one.

Ani kept her company, teaching her about the different wires and terminals—where they led to, what they controlled, and how she could salvage them later herself. "Rey, remember that AT-AT we saw on the way here?"

"Yeah," she answered while loosening a bolt.

"That's going to be your new home."

"When?"

"Soon. Very, very soon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 49.6K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
136K 4.2K 45
matilda styles, will you be my valentine? (please reject me so i can move on) ⋆ ˚。⋆୨💌୧⋆ ˚。⋆ IN WHICH christopher sturniolo falls for nepo baby or...
1M 55K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
257K 8.3K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...