The Wolf Inside - A Naruto Fa...

By BlueNinetails

****Winner of the Most Popular Naruto Fanfic Watty Award 2013/14**** **Currently being rewritten as the origi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
A Small Note, to the New Readers :)
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 --Super Chapter--
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80

Chapter 26

57.2K 1.3K 736
By BlueNinetails

Ashley's POV

I march down the street purposefully, staring directly ahead as people shuffle out of my way. I'm on a mission and don't have time to swerve around anyone, as displayed when I'd knocked some kid right over mere seconds ago. The kid cried and the Mother yelled at me, but at least the other people in the street had gotten the gist.

That woman is just lucky that I'm too preoccupied to retaliate to her screeching, or she'd be crying just like her dumb kid.

Seriously though, when someone clearly looks as though they're trying to get somewhere quickly, don't normal people move out of their way? I taught that woman's child a good lesson about not dawdling in the path of oncoming people.

My face scrunches up in concentration as I try to focus on a certain presence. While I can use my Katsuryoku to sense movements through the ground, it's really difficult for me to focus on one person when there are so damn many all around me.

Hopefully I've found the correct person and not just someone that moves in a similar way to him. What's even more annoying is that it seems like my target is now sitting down, not moving much at all.

I'd been searching all over the Village, for a good two hours, before I felt what I think is his presence about ten minutes ago, and now he has the nerve to sit down? He'll be lucky I don't punch him right in the face for being so inconvenient!

Heaving an irritated sigh, I round a corner and stalk right up to the window of a nearby restaurant, seeing a familiar face on the other side of it.

"Hey" I bark, making the person on the other side of the window jump in fright, as I lean one elbow on the sill. "Get out here. We have stuff to do."

"Angel?" Kiba asks in confusion, his mouth full of food. "Uh, what's up?"

"Arf!" Akamaru replies brightly, seated beside his best friend and wagging his tail.

"G-Good morning Ashley-san" Hinata greets me nervously, sitting across the table from Kiba. Shino, seated next to the shy girl, merely nods his head at me, arms folded over his chest.

"Hi" I reply with disinterest, raising one brow at Kiba. "Hurry up Mutt, let's go."

Kiba swallows his food and stares at me for a few seconds, looking both suspicious and like he wants to make a smart comment. He'd better not.

"What's goin on?" he eventually decides to ask. "I get that you wanna hang out with me and all, but I'm only half way through breakfast."

"I don't care about your breakfast and I don't want to hang out with you" I retort. "Whether you like it or not, you're coming with me right now."

"Geez, I didn't realise you were this eager to spend time alone with me" Kiba laughs, before slinging one arm over the back of his chair and hooding his eyes. "I'm liking the sound of this. What are we gunna do?"

"I'm going to kick your ass if you don't get a little more serious" I growl, an anime vein appearing on the side of my head. "It's not like that you filthy Mutt. You said you'd teach me that Jutsu of yours and I want to learn it before the Finals! So hurry up!"

Kiba blinks in surprise at that, with me looking away in slight embarrassment. I hate having to ask Kiba for help in any way, but I want to learn how to use the Fang Over Fang properly. That All Fours Jutsu of his looks pretty helpful too.

"Y-You want me to teach you my Jutsu?" Kiba asks slowly, still looking relatively shocked. "Huh, I thought you were only joking about that."

"Well I wasn't and you said you'd show me" I mutter, stepping back from the window and crossing my arms. "So make good on your promise and hurry up."

A thoughtful look crosses Kiba's face as he stares at me for a few moments in silence, before the boy shovels some more food into his mouth and rises from his seat.

"Take care of the bill guys" he chuckles, words barely legible as his cheeks bulge with food. "I'm out!"

Placing one hand on the sill, Kiba swiftly jumps through the window and lands beside me, with a frantic Akamaru hurriedly following his lead.

"Y-You're leaving us with the bill?" Hinata asks, sounding slightly distressed. "But you're the one wh-who invited us here...."

"I'll get it next time" Kiba assures his teammate, waving dismissively. "Promise."

"Doubtful...." Shino murmurs, to which Hinata's shoulders droop a little.

It seems even they can't rely on their energetic and loud mouthed team mate. I can't say I'm surprised by that though.

"Alright!" Kiba barks, swallowing his food and pumping one fist in the air. "Let's get on with it! This is gonna be great!"

"........I can't wait to punch you right in the mouth" I announce flatly, uncrossing my arms and turning on my heel to stalk away from the broadly grinning Inuzuka.

"Hey look" Kiba suddenly says, pointing up at a nearby tree, which looks as though it was shredded in a storm or something. "That's the tree that my Fang Over Fang destroyed the other day. I'd point out the dent you made in it with yours, but as you can see, I kinda broke the tree."

I pause in my walking and stare at Kiba with a deadpan expression, one eyebrow twitching.

In reality it hadn't taken us too long to get to the training grounds, but with Kiba's constant antics and joking around, it had felt like the longest journey of my life....

"Oh look" I reply, mocking the boy's tone, "This is the forest I beat you up in. And I'll be happy to do it again too!"

"You can act tough all you want Angel" Kiba scoffs, hands on his hips and a defiant look in his eyes, "But you came to me for help. I'm the Sensei today and you are the lowly student."

".........You know what?" I ask rhetorically, hands balling into fists as I struggle to control my temper. "I don't think I want to learn your Clan moves this badly. I'd say I'd rather be tortured, but you've already been torturing me!"

That being said, I whirl around and begin stomping back in the direction we'd just come in, only for Kiba to slide in front of me, waving his hands back and forth.

"Okay, okay" he says apologetically, though he's still grinning like an idiot. "I'm sorry, I'll stop now!"

I glower at the brunette for a few seconds, before closing my eyes and heaving a sigh, already feeling somewhat defeated. Kiba's presence drains my energy, more than anyone else's does.

"I get that you've got a really bad temper" the brunette continues casually, clearly oblivious to the murderous intent forming in my eyes, "So I'll stop teasing you about your weak Fang Over Fang and just show you how to amp up the power!"

"I've already seen how you do it" I state in a flat tone, causing Kiba to pause as he is about to flick a food pill down to Akamaru. "I don't want to see you do it again. I want you to explain how to do it."

"Explain it?" Kiba repeats, tilting his head to the side. "But, you already know how to do it. All you gotta do is learn to release the Jutsu properly to make it as strong as possible. Plus you're gonna have to learn to coordinate with that Wolf of yours, seeing as it's a partner Jutsu."

"Oh, right...." I mutter to myself, having already forgotten about that part. I perform a set of hand signs and drop down into a crouch to press my palm against the ground. "Summoning Jutsu!"

My hair blows backwards as a thick cloud of white smoke suddenly appears before me, a large figure sitting in the middle of it.

"Greeting Milady" Ace addresses in his emotionless voice, turning his head as he notices Kiba behind him. ".....Ah, this is here again...."

"Is he talkin about me?" the Inuzuka demands to know, an indignant look on his face. "You should be treating me with some respect right now, you big-"

"I would watch my tongue if I were you boy" Ace interrupts with a warning, rising to his feet and leering at Kiba with distaste. "I respect no one but Milady, especially when they are nothing more than a mere cretin like yourself."

"What did you just call me?!" Kiba barks hotly, an anime vein appearing on the side of his head. "Hey, I'm in charge right now, you hear me?!"

"I am a Wolf" Ace responds blandly, his gaze drifting, "My hearing is exceptional, so yes, I can hear you. You are very loud, so even if I were not a Wolf or standing directly in front of you, I would still hear you."

".....He doesn't like you" I feel the need to inform Kiba, smirking as small puffs of steam shoot away from the top of his head. "He usually doesn't talk this much around people he doesn't know, unless he dislikes them."

"Great" Kiba sighs heavily, folding his arms over his chest and whirling around. "Well, seems like I ditched breakfast for nothin. I'm not teaching you guys anything if you're gunna be like this."

"He is teaching us?" Ace asks me, sounding both distressed and amused by the idea. "What could this small, insignificant-"

"Ace, cut it out" I interject, despite rather enjoying the fact that he already dislikes Kiba so much. "I want to learn how to do the Fang Over Fang properly, and he's the only one that can help us.....As much as that sucks...."

"........I see" Ace murmurs after a few moments, slowly turning his head and laying his ears back. "I apologise for my demeanour."

"Ya mean it?" Kiba asks, already smiling again.

"No" my Wolf replies, visible eye hooded, "But Milady requires your aid, so I will pretend that I do not detest you for the time being."

"..........He's an ass" Kiba tells me, shoulders slumping. I smirk back, shrugging.

"Yeah" I chuckle smartly, "That's why I keep him around. Now come on, toughen up and teach us this Jutsu."

Rubbing at his temples for a few moments, Kiba sighs again, only to shake his head and drop a food pill down to Akamaru. The pup, who had been cowering behind his master since Ace's arrival, immediately begins to change colour, his fur turning red.

"First, your partner has to turn into a copy of you" Kiba explains, focusing as he placing his hands together, before glancing at me from the corner of his eyes. "Like this.....Ninja Art: Man Beast Clone!"

Almost as if he had vanished, Akamaru is replaced with a perfect replica of Kiba, though this one is crouched on all fours.

"Wait a sec" I interfere, brows furrowed. "How come Ace has to become a clone of me? I don't know that clone Jutsu. Why can't he just stay as a Wolf?"

"Well, that's just the way it's done in the Inuzuka Clan" Kiba tells me matter of factly. "Looks like you're gonna have to learn the Man Beast Clone Jutsu too then. I'll have to teach you the All Fours Jutsu too, but I'll skip that part for now."

"Grrrr....." Akamaru growls, leaping up onto Kiba's back as the brunette stoops down and places his hands on top of the grass.

"Wait, wait, wait!" I cut in again, earning an irritated look from Kiba.

"What now?" he whines, clearly not seeing my slight distress.

"Uh.....Ace has to be on my back?" I question uncertainly, a sweat drop appearing on the side of my head. "Yeah......I doubt I can do that."

"My feelings Milady" Ace speaks up, tone as dry as ever, "They hurt."

"Look at the size of him Mutt" I continue, ignoring my Wolf and throwing my arms out towards him. "I'll be crushed!"

"When he turns into a copy of you, you'll be fine" Kiba smirks, clearly entertained by my uncharacteristic hesitance. "You're tiny."

"I am not!" I snap back, before shaking my head vehemently, hair whipping around my face. "Besides, I don't have time to learn that Jutsu as well! You think I can learn three Jutsu in just two weeks? Even I can't do that!"

"Well......" Kiba says slowly, looking like he's in thought as he carefully rises to his feet. Akamaru jumps down onto the ground, tilting his head to the side. If he were still a Dog, he'd probably be wagging his tail.

"If you wanna do this the quick way, which will end up being wrong by the way" the Inuzuka points out to me, "You could just skip the Man Beast Clone and try jumping on your Wolf's back. It'll still work I guess, it's just not conventional at all."

"I'm not really a conventional person, so this works for me" I reply, brightening up a little. "C'mon Ace, I need to get on your back."

"You seem to have forgotten that I do not know how to perform this Jutsu Milady" Ace points out, sighing under his breath. "You may stand on me if you please, but it will not help."

I place my hands on my hips and stare at Ace in thought, lower lip jutting out a little. Before I can say anything however, Kiba exhales loudly and throws his head back, running one hand through his hair.

"You mean he can't even do the Fang Over Fang?" the boy asks, sounding exasperated. "Man, I'm in way over my head here. You guys are hopeless! This is gonna take forever!"

"We are not hopeless you Mutt!" I bark angrily, whirling around to glare at Kiba. "You know I could kick your ass!"

"Not if you use that Fang Over Fang of yours" he retorts snidely, smirking as he folds his arms over his chest. "I don't mind helping you learn it, but it's gonna take ages for him to learn it from scratch. You won't be ready to use it during the Finals in two weeks."

"You underestimate me boy" Ace defends himself coolly, though I see his eye narrow a little. "I am highly intelligent and very efficient in battle."

"Yeah whatever" Kiba sighs heavily, shaking his head again. After a few moments of silence, the brunette turns to look at me, a doubtful expression on his face.

"Look, I don't think there's any point trying to-"

"Just show me how to release the Jutsu properly" I butt in, trying not to sound like I'm pleading. "I'll train with Ace myself to get it right, I just need to know how to do it the proper way, and then you don't have to hang around anymore!"

".....Are you tryna get rid of me?" Kiba inquires, raising one eyebrow suspiciously.

"Look" I huff, feeling tired again, "I just want to know the Jutsu, okay? I don't even care if you hang around or not anymore."

"Nice" Kiba comments sarcastically, only to suddenly smirk mischievously, something that immediately puts me on edge. "Alright then Angel, let's do this!"

"Huh?" I ask skeptically, watching as Kiba bends his knees and slaps his hands together into a hand sign. "Don't think, for even one second, that I'm climbing onto your shoulders."

"Didn't think I'd be so lucky" the Inuzuka jokes. "C'mon, get into position. We're gonna do the Fang Over Fang together. It won't be as strong as when you use it with the All Fours Jutsu, but you gotta get this part down first."

"O-Okay" I reply, feeling nervous all of the sudden. If there's one thing I hate, it's failing at something. Especially if it were to happen in front of someone.....

I'm not exactly slow at picking up new techniques, but I wouldn't call myself a prodigy either. I'd never admit this to anyone other than myself of course, but training with Orochimaru had shown me that I could stand to learn faster.

I can't even count the number of times I've been seriously injured from practising new Jutsu and techniques in the past, with Orochimaru and his henchmen. Pain makes you learn faster apparently, whether you're ready to or not.

"Focus most of the chakra in your feet for now" Kiba continues explaining, glancing down at my shoes as I copy his stance and do as he says, brows furrowing in concentration. "You wanna release it in one massive burst from your feet to push you forwards as fast as you can, then regulate your chakra flow again and use it to keep you spinning in mid air. You can sort of do that already, right?"

"Uh, yeah?" I reply, my uncertainty earning a chuckle from Kiba.

"Just remember not to hit me while you're spinning, okay?" he laughs, though he doesn't sound too concerned. He probably doesn't think there's enough power behind my Fang Over Fang to really hurt him, which is irritating. I'll show him......

"To start, we'll aim for that tree there" Kiba announces, nodding at one directly ahead of us, about fifty metres away. "You ready?"

"Yeah" I say with a nod, feigning confidence. I've become good at doing that, despite my inner feelings. Kiba, of all people, doesn't need to know that I'm nervous.

"Alright.......Three, two, one....."

"Fang Over Fang!" Kiba and I both shout at the same time, leaping forwards and releasing our pent up chakra.

We both immediately begin to spin through the air, drilling towards our target tree at an impressive speed. Kiba seems to be holding back a little, though it could just be because he hasn't activated his All Fours Jutsu to power himself up.

I focus all of my attention on trying to spin around Kiba and keep a straight trajectory, without crashing into him, which is a lot harder than I'd first anticipated.

There is so much to focus on with this Jutsu. Having to release my chakra in one quick, powerful burst and then having to allow it to flow throughout my whole body again so that I can continue to spin. Not to mention Kiba and I have to move around each other without colliding, as well as trying to keep track of our target.

"Ahhh!" I cry out, suddenly panicking when I see that we're about to hit the tree. Before I can so much as think, my body quits releasing chakra due to my alarm and I slam into the tree, back cracking painfully as it connects with the bark.

"Urghhhh....." I murmur in a daze, sliding down the tree and landing on my head, my eyes spinning.

That had not been pleasant and I'm one hundred percent sure that's not how the Jutsu was supposed to go.

"Well" I hear Kiba say from above me. "I definitely didn't expect that."

"You always were graceful Milady" Ace feels the need to add, causing me to scowl.

I quickly flip around and jump to my feet, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. I tilt my head back and glare up at Kiba, who is sitting comfortably on a tree branch.

"It's not like I meant to do that you know!" I spit, my shame causing me to sound angrier than intended. "I can do it, I just.....There was too much to concentrate on and...And I just....."

"Freaked out?" Kiba supplies, to which I huff in annoyance, turning my head away. "Don't worry Angel, it's happened to all of us. It's hard to focus on everything and get it right, especially if it's your first go."

"It wasn't my first go though" I growl under my breath, still avoiding Kiba's gaze, even as he drops down from the tree and approaches me, hands in his pockets.

"It was your first go at trying the Fang Over Fang with another person though" he reasons, apparently trying to make me feel better. "Don't worry about it Angel, a bit more practise and you'll improve. C'mon, you wanna try again?"

Glancing back over my shoulder, my expression softening a little, I give Kiba an apprehensive look.

"What are you being so nice to me for?" I can't help wondering. "Just go away, I'll do it by myself."

"You don't have to be embarrassed!" Kiba laughs loudly, raising up his arms and folding them behind his head. "We all do dumb stuff like that, and besides, it was cute!"

I blink a few times at that, staring at Kiba incredulously as he continues to laugh. I'm not sure whether I should punch him or not. Does he deserve it for a comment like that?

I don't know.

"Shut up" I eventually sigh, barging past the taller male. "Let's just try it again....."

"You got it Angel!" Kiba agrees eagerly. "Just try not to crash like that this time!"

Later that week

"Come on then! Fight me if you think you're so tough."

"I do not believe I said such a thing. You are putting words in my mouth."

"Yeah? You're just afraid of losing to me, aren'tcha?!"

"I am afraid of no such thing. In fact, the thought alone is quite humorous to me. Me, afraid of a simpleton like you? Yes, humorous indeed...."

".......Did you just call me stupid?!"

"Of course not. I merely implied it."

"What?! Aarghh! Fight me! Right now!"

"No thank you. I am busy right now."

"Doing what?!"

"Besting you in wit."

I can't help sighing with severe irritation, multiple anime veins pulsing on the side of my head.

"You call chickening out of a fight with me being witty?!"

"No. I call besting you in wit, being witty."

I facepalm at that, shaking my head. These two, honestly.......

"That doesn't even make sense!"

"Perhaps not to someone as dim witted as yourself."

"That does it!"

Suddenly, Kai darts ahead of me and whirls around, sending up a small cloud of dust as he bares his teeth at a calm Ace. Lowering his head, Kai moves to leap for the navy Wolf, only for me to take a step forwards.

"Don't even think about it!" I command fiercely, holding up one hand to stop the enraged Wolf.

Kai ignores me however, hurling himself forwards and growling furiously. That sound alone could make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, but I'm used to it by now. Kai has always had anger issues and he's always growling about something.

"Milady!" Ace cries out in worry, as I jump straight into Kai, focusing my chakra so that I am strong enough to knock him backwards in mid air.

Landing heavily on his back, Kai struggles beneath me, red eyes glittering madly. While Kai may have anger problems, it doesn't help when Ace purposefully pushes his buttons.

I've always had to try and keep the two Wolves separated as much as possible. While I'd like to believe that underneath all of the teasing and taunting they really do like each other, moments like these make it hard to keep the faith.

"Calm the hell down Kai!" I order, really having difficulty keeping him under control.

"Get off of me!" Kai snarls back, swiping at me with his large paw. I exhale sharply as it hits my shoulder, sending me tumbling to the ground. "We're having this fight, right here and now!"

"Gladly" Ace growls right back, baring his teeth as Kai manages to roll over and jump to his feet, fur standing up with anger. "How dare you attack Milady!"

"I didn't attack her!" Kai protests. "She got in my way!"

"To prevent you from doing something idiotic" Ace presses, lowering his head and laying his ears back. "You should not have hit her....."

Slowly rising to my feet to prevent Kai from noticing, I activate my Katsuryoku and glance at Ace.

He rarely shows any emotion and to see him so angry like this is very uncharacteristic. He only gets this way when someone hurts me, no matter who they may be.

I don't want my two Wolves to fight each other, despite how much Ace may believe Kai deserves it. They could really hurt each other. While Ace is the faster, more intelligent one, Kai is far more powerful and has greater raw strength than Ace. A fight between them won't produce anything good.

Suddenly darting forwards, I run in front of Kai as he rears up on his hind legs and throw my right hand forwards, hitting him right in the stomach.

The large Wolf roars in pain as the electricity from my Katsuryoku travels through his body, causing him to fall over backwards, eyes closing as he hits the ground.

He remains still for a few moments, before eventually groaning and reopening his eyes. I stare down at Kai with one hand on my hip, mouth pulled up to the side, when Ace stalks over.

"I should kill him" the Wolf spits, only for me to shove him back. As I push him however, Kai abruptly lurches forwards with another angry roar, taking me by surprise.

I turn around, eyes wide, only to have Kai's jaws snap shut around my arm. My eyes widen even further at the sudden pain, as blood drips down my arm and onto the ground.

We all remain still and silent for a few moments, with me staring into Kai's eyes in shock. The Wolf continues to growl angrily, when he suddenly seems to realise what he's doing and abruptly releases me, taking a few quick steps backwards.

"Kai!" Ace thunders furiously, the earth below his feet cracking as his Katsuryoku activates. "I will kill you for this!"

"I.....I didn't mean to" Kai replies, sounding abnormally quiet, his gaze focused on my bleeding arm. "It was an accident...."

"Your death will not be an accident!" Ace snarls, lowering his body down to throw himself at Kai.

"I-It's okay Ace" I speak up, smiling despite the pain in my arm. "I know Kai didn't mean to bite me. He was going for you."

"Hardly an excuse for this" the navy Wolf growls, not convinced.

"......I....I apologise for biting you Milady" Kai says awkwardly, averting his gaze away from me as I walk over to him. "I was angry and I wasn't thinking-"

"You're always angry" I laugh softly, trying to ignore my pain as I reach out and rub Kai's furry neck, much to his surprise. "I forgive you."

"Y-You forgive me?" the large Wolf repeats, frowning in confusion. "That's not.....But I just......What is this Village doing to you?"

"This Village is a good place for Milady" Ace says stiffly, standing behind me and staring at Kai with an icy gaze. "You could learn a thing or two from her example."

"I haven't changed" I argue, sighing. "But to think, I just wanted some company and I end up with a mauled arm. I should've just summoned Rei......"

"You should heal yourself Milady" Ace suggests, raising one brow at Kai pointedly, "Before it becomes infected."

"What do you think I'm doing right now?" I ask smartly, already focused on healing the injury with my limited medical Jutsu capabilities. "I wish you didn't have such a strong bite Kai, I could've lost my arm just now...."

The brown Wolf bares his slightly bloodied teeth in a sheepish grin, only for Ace to roll his eyes.

"Oooooo, look kid!" we suddenly hear a voice whisper loudly. "I found another pretty one!"

"Did you guys hear that?" I ask, briefly looking up as I continue healing my arm.

"Indeed......" Ace murmurs distractedly, staring ahead at something. "There is someone behind that large bush over there. Certainly an odd hiding place."

"Not a good one either" Kai adds with a disdainful snort.

"What are you on about now Pervy Sage?" a familiar voice calls back, causing me to raise my head again.

A blonde boy suddenly emerges from behind the tall bush Ace had mentioned, arms hooked behind his head and an unimpressed look on his face.

I'm surprised I didn't notice he was over there earlier, but then again, I was a little preoccupied....

"Huh?" I ask out loud, catching the blonde's attention. "Naruto?"

"Oh, Ashley!" he exclaims, a smile brightening his face. "Hi, I haven't seen you in like, a week!"

"Where have you been?" I query, genuinely curious as to where he's been. I haven't seen any of my teammates in the last week. I've been too busy training with Ace to really take much notice of them.

"I've been training with Pervy Sage" Naruto responds, only for his face to fall when he notices me arm. "Whoa, what happened to you?!"

"They happened" I state dryly, dead panning as I look between both of my Wolves. "They were arguing and-"

Wait. What had Naruto just said?!

"Who did you say you'd been training with?" I ask incredulously, question marks floating above my head.

"Pervy Sage" Naruto repeats casually, just as a tall man with long, white hair comes crashing out of the same bushes as my blonde teammate.

"Don't listen to him!" the man laughs jovially, running towards us. "My name is Jiraiya, not....not that!"

"Jiraiya?" I say slowly, eyes widening a little. "As in......one of the Legendary Sannin Jiraiya?"

"Oh, so you've heard of me" Jiraiya blushes, waving one hand at me modestly. "I'm flattered that such a pretty girl knows of me."

"Ew, you're a lot creepier than I imagined" I inform the man bluntly. "Why were you watching me from that bush?"

I wonder how Naruto managed to get one of the Legendary Sannin to train him.......I don't know much about this Jiraiya guy, but Orochimaru had mentioned his name once or twice in the past. He'd said Jiraiya was a fool, but I'd had no idea who the guy was, so it hadn't meant much to me back then.

"Haha, no I'm not!" Jiraiya laughs again, smacking an unsuspecting Naruto over the back of the head. "Naruto just spreads a lot of lies about me! I'm an honourable man!"

"Bah!" Naruto grunts in protest, sprawled on the ground. "You're about as honourable as I am uncool!"

"......So, he's really honourable then?" I smirk, not able to help myself.

"Don't be mean to me Ashley" Naruto pleads, climbing to his feet. "I've had a hard week with him...."

"How do you two know each other anyway?" Jiraiya wonders innocently, though the glint in his eyes is giving me the creeps.

"Ashley's my teammate and my friend" Naruto says with a shrug. "She's fighting in the Finals next week too."

"Oh?" the Sannin before me grins, rubbing his hands together. "So she's pretty and strong? How lucky!"

"No Pervy Sage!" Naruto shouts, jumping in front of the white haired man. "You're not allowed to do research on Ashley! She's my friend!"

I tilt my head to the side, one eyebrow lifted. Research? What does that mean? And why did Naruto make air quotes when he said research?

"I do not like this man" Ace announces coldly, squinting at Jiraiya. "His intentions seem impure."

"I should eat him" Kai agrees, tongue hanging out of his mouth.

"You don't need to eat me!" Jiraiya assures my Wolf, before leaning down to whisper at Naruto. "Why can't I do research kid? She's young and pretty. What's the issue?"

I deadpan once again, my patience beginning to grow thin. For someone regarded as one of the strongest Ninja in the world, he sure is a weirdo.

"As appropriate as your nickname is Naruto" I say, voice bland, "I'd have to say that Pedo Sage seems much more realistic right now."

"Ah!" Jiraiya cries, sweat drops forming around his head. "That's unkind and untrue! I'm no such thing! I'm an honourable man and-"

"Yeah, yeah" I interrupt, "So you keep saying. But I'm getting sick of listening to you, so we're going to leave. I'll see you later Naruto. Pedo Sage, hopefully I won't see you again."

"But I-"

"Good move" Naruto praises, waving at me, before pulling a face up at his new teacher. "Why are you so weird Pervy Sage?"

"I'm not!" I hear Jiraiya shout back, his voice fading away as my Wolves and I continue on our walk.

"What a freak!" I exhale loudly, tilting my head back and running both hands down my face. "So much for going on a peaceful walk today.......I could really go for some barbecue right now."

"Or lamb...." Kai says dreamily, to which Ace scoffs under his breath. "What's your problem now?!"

"Nothing" Ace replies innocently, walking alongside me. "I just think that someone who thinks they are as strong as you do, should enjoy a meat tougher than lamb. Speaking of which, Milady?"

".........What?" I ask, already dreading what's coming. These two just can't help themselves.

"I would like some beef please."

"We've already got beef you asshole!" Kai barks angrily, stomping one foot. "Are you saying you're tougher than me?!"

"I am not saying it" Ace answers. "I am thinking it, but I am not saying it."

"Alright then! If you're so tough, fight me!"

"You are putting words in my mouth again. I never proclaimed that I was tough."

"You're just afraid of fighting me, aren'tcha?!"

"I have already said, I am afraid of no such th-"

"Will you two shut up?!" I explode, my patience finally wearing out. "I don't want to have to listen to this stupid fight again!"

"Of course Milady" Ace complies obediently, ignoring Kai as he glares over.

"Kai" I warn lowly. "Stop it."

I come to an abrupt halt as Ace suddenly lets out a yelp of fright, briefly closing my eyes to try and maintain my cool.

"What is it now?!" I demand to know, whirling around. I freeze however, struggling to keep from laughing when I see that Keiji is now sitting happily on the top of Ace's head.

The Wolf looks back at me miserably, ears folded down meekly.

"Wow" Kai taunts. "That really makes you look tough."

Shikamaru's POV

Leaning my cheek in one hand, I move another Shogi piece and glance up at Naruto's sleeping form for what feels like the hundredth time. I'm so bored. Nothing exciting ever happens in the hospital.

"Is he ever gonna wake up?" I ask myself with a sigh. "Maybe the kid died in his sleep or something....."

"I doubt we'd be so lucky" a female voice answers, startling me and causing me to fall right out of my chair, Shogi pieces raining down around me.

"Ow......." I complain, leaning up on one elbow and rubbing the back of my head. "Huh?"

Looking up at the nearby window, I see an amused looking Ashley perched on the sill, her sharp teeth visible in a smirk.

What a drag. Of course I'd do something stupid in front of a girl like her. She'll probably never let me live it down now.....

"My bad" the girl half apologises, chuckling. "Didn't mean to scare you."

Jumping down from the window, Ashley walks over and offers me her hand. I begrudgingly take it, allowing her to help me to my feet.

"Women shouldn't be lifting men up" I mutter, ignoring Ashley when she rolls her eyes at me. "And you didn't scare me either. I was........looking for a missing Shogi piece."

"Right" the blonde girl responds sarcastically. "I don't know much about this game, but aren't you supposed to play it with someone else? Why are you playing it by yourself?"

"Do you see anyone else around here?" I ask dryly, giving Ashley a flat look as I wave my arm around the room to emphasise my point.

"There are nurses here aren't there?" the girl asks, to which I can't help scoffing.

"They're kind of busy at the moment" I inform her, placing my hands in my pockets. "What're you doing here anyway?"

With drooping shoulders, Ashley releases a heavy sigh and points at the still sleeping Naruto.

"I heard this idiot was injured and got brought here" she explains, glancing at Naruto through hooded eyes. "He doesn't look so bad though."

"Probably because he's already been here for two days" I reply smartly, before giving Ashley a suspicious look. "Why didn't you come and see him earlier?"

"I've been busy training with one of my Wolves" the girl tells me, shrugging again. She pauses for a few moments, a sheepish expression appearing on her face. "And besides.........I didn't wanna seem too friendly, like I was worried about him or anything. Because I wasn't."

I raise an eyebrow at that, unable to keep from smirking to myself as Ashley's gaze drifts back over to Naruto.

So, it seems she actually does like him, she just doesn't wanna admit it to anyone. Probably doesn't even want to admit it to herself. I don't know her very well, but she seems like the type who wants to be a lone wolf. Kind of like Sasuke I guess.

Despite that, from what I've been told by some of the others, Ashley's not as angry as she used to be. That doesn't mean I'm not kind of on my guard though. I don't want to get punched through a wall like Kiba did.....

"Huh?" a sleepy voice asks, catching my attention. "Where am I?"

"So, you've finally decided to wake up huh?" I ask teasingly, turning my head as a dazed looking Naruto slowly sits up in bed.

"Welcome back to the land of the living" Ashley adds, leaning against the railing on the side of the hospital bed. "Nice to see those baby blues of yours again."

Staring at his teammate through bleary eyes, Naruto blinks a few times, before glancing around the room, brows furrowed.

"Where are we?" he inquires, sounding genuinely confused.

".....You're in the hospital you moron" Ashley sighs, shaking her head.

"You've been out cold for two whole days" I inform Naruto, who stares at me in silence for a few moments.

"Two days?" he repeats softly, before abruptly flinging back his covers and jumping to his feet, on top of the bed. "Two whole days?!"

"Uh......Yeah?" I confirm uncertainly, sweat dropping at the blonde's panic. What's the big deal? He got to sleep for two days. I wish I could've been doing that instead of all this training that Asuma's been forcing me to go through.

"Sit down" Ashley commands, looking slightly annoyed. "You're gonna hurt yourself......Or more likely, break something."

"Shikamaru!" Naruto exclaims, completely ignoring Ashley's order. "When do the Finals begin?!"

"Tomorrow."

"What?!" Naruto shouts incredulously. He suddenly reaches out and grabs me by the collar, dragging me close to his face. "Why didn't you wake me up?! I can't be sleeping at a time like this! I need to be getting ready for the Finals!"

"Whoa, calm down!" I splutter, pushing Naruto's hands away. "Get a hold of yourself!"

"And Pervy Sage!" Naruto continues yelling, running his hands through his hair as he bounces up and down on the bed. "Where is he?! He's supposed to be in charge of my traini-"

"Shut up Naruto!" Ashley finally snaps, jabbing her hand into Naruto's stomach and sending him tumbling off the side of the bed. He lands in a heap on the floor, his eyes wide.

"You've only been awake for two seconds" Ashley growls, arms now crossed, "And you're already driving me insane!"

"Reminder to myself to never get on her bad side" I mumble to myself, cringing a little when Ashley's sharp glare switches over to me.

Seemingly unperturbed by his teammate knocking him over, Naruto hurriedly leaps to his feet and scrambles around his bed, looking for something.

"I'm hesitant to ask" Ashley says wearily, "But what are you doing now?"

"My clothes!" Naruto shouts, throwing pillows around as he searches beneath them. "Where are my clothes?! Where'd they put em? I can't go out and train in a hospital gown. I need to find them!"

"You give me such a headache" I complain. "I liked you better when you where unconscious....."

"Everyone does" Ashley agrees, sounding rather cheerful about it.

"Naruto, knock it off" I order, internally sighing as he pushes over a tray with a glass of water on it. "You can't freak out like this right before a big match. Resting is an important part of training as well."

"The worst part" Ashley feels the need to say, earning a flat look from me. She's not helping.

As abruptly as he'd begun freaking out, Naruto suddenly flops down onto his bed, looking defeated.

"Huh?" I ask, feeling slightly worried by this swift mood change. "What's wrong?"

".........." Naruto lifts his head to look at me, tears flooding from his eyes. "......I'm really hungry........."

Ashley falls to the ground at that proclamation, with me slapping one hand to my face.

"Man, is that all?" I exhale in exasperation. "Don't scare us like that!"

"If you're so damn hungry" Ashley spits hotly, clearly already tired of her teammate's antics, "Just eat the stuff in this fruit basket right here! It's not that difficult Naruto!"

"Oh yeah" I recall, looking at the large basket. "I forgot I brought that. I went to all the trouble of getting this for Choji, but his nurse said that he's not allowed to have any food yet! It was a drag, but hey, at least we can eat it now!"

"Strawberries!" Ashley cries delightedly, eyes brightening when she sees the small fruit inside the basket.

"Choji's in here too?" Naruto asks curiously, watching me as I pick up the fruit basket and bring it over to his bed.

"Strawberries?" Ashley repeats, softer this time, as she gives me puppy dog eyes.

My own eyes widen at the look on her face, before I shove the basket towards her and abruptly turn back to Naruto, my cheeks feeling a little warm.

"D-Don't worry about him" I assure Naruto, taking a brief pause to regain my cool. "He's just got a bad case of indigestion. He ate one short rib too many."

Naruto begins to laugh, as Ashley smirks victoriously and holds up a half eaten strawberry in triumph.

"I was definitely the winner of our eating contest yesterday!" she proclaims.

"It was pretty close" I say with a shrug, hooding my eyes. "I don't know who won, but it was gross to watch. I thought Ino was going to be sick."

"Indigestion?" Naruto repeats, before bursting out laughing. "Yeah, that'd be right! Good work Ashley!"

"I've never seen a girl eat so much before" I admit, chuckling. "It's interesting seeing one give Choji a run for his money."

"I don't like losing" Ashley tells us with a shrug, eyes focused on another strawberry she'd managed to find in the basket.

"Man, this stuff looks delicious!" Naruto says appreciatively. He eventually decides on an apple and lifts it to his mouth, only to pause, a dark look appearing on his face.

"What?" I ask, immediately feeling apprehensive. It's always something with Naruto. "What is it now?"

"I've got a great idea" Naruto responds, laughing evilly. "Let's go and eat all this stuff in front of Choji!"

From the corner of my eye, I see Ashley suddenly freeze, her head turned towards the door. I don't pay much attention however, too busy enjoying the sound of Naruto's idea.

"Man, that's so mean" I reply, smirking. "I like it."

"....Can you guys feel that?" Ashley asks, her tone sounding very serious all of the sudden. "I.....I don't like it."

"What's wrong?" Naruto asks, his expression immediately hardening. Clearly he can tell that something is very wrong with his teammate.

"What can you hear?" I ask lowly, to which Ashley shakes her head.

"I can't hear anything" she responds shortly, now fully turned towards the door, her eyes narrowed. "But......I can feel him. C'mon guys, we have to go check this out! He has no reason to be in the hospital!"

That being said, Ashley dashes out of the door and turns right down the hallway, disappearing from sight.

Naruto and I both look at each other, exchanging disturbed expressions. What could have freaked Ashley out like that? And what did she mean by he?

"What's going on?" I wonder out loud, not at all excited to find out.

"I dunno" Naruto admits, jumping down from his bed, "But it can't be good if it's making Ashley act like that!"

Heaving a sigh, I run after Naruto as he follows the direction Ashley had run in.

I really don't need the hospital to be exciting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 39.8K 44
My name is Rima Hatake, so I guess you can tell who my father is, the copy cat nin Kakashi. As for my mother, well that's a secret best kept hidden...
776K 30.5K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
211K 6.3K 43
Tsukino a 12-year-old from the ANBU root, trained by Danzo. She's emotionless or that's what it seems like on the outside. She became emotionless lon...
2M 106K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...