"Don't Forget Me, Okay?" [Iwa...

By sugaberi

Iwaizumi's father is deceased and his mother is bedridden with Alzheimer's. His life is crumbling and he has... More

Prologue*
Chapter 1 *
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Oikawa
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
IMPORTANT {Announcement}

Chapter 13

2.2K 106 42
By sugaberi

A/N: Fun little announcement before you read that I would love for you to pay attention to because it's important. Your input would also be appreciated, thank you.

I hope all you lovelies realize that I do love writing (even though I suck. How I got into English Honors I do not know) and I do try my best when writing these chapters (but my creativity is lacking). But for such an effort when I really don't have a lot of time (literally no time between activities), I feel like this book is getting only a small amount of love. So, I was thinking about discontinuing this book seeing as my other one gets far more attention (Or put it on hold?). It might be a better idea to work on the other one instead because the outcome is much more rewarding after each chapter.

What do you think? Please comment your thoughts. Thank you!

________________________________

Saturday, February 5

Iwaizumi lay on his back underneath the mess of sheets that he has tossed around in his sleep. He stared at the ceiling, limbs sprawled out, bored. It was only a little before eight on a Saturday morning. With no plans, Iwaizumi felt no need to move about. His conscience seemed to flutter in and out of consciousness; sometimes aware of the seconds passing and sometimes hazy, wondering where the minutes had gone once that awareness returned.

A sudden sharp sound pierced the silence, shocking the raven back into reality. He turned his head toward the noise. There sat his phone, on the nightstand, ringing. At eight o'clock on a Saturday morning. Lazily, Iwaizumi slapped his hand on his phone and brought it to his ear.

"Hello?" he asked, monotonously.

"Iwa-chan?" Iwaizumi could feel his heart jump at the perky voice. He sighed, too aware of his own feelings. After taking a moment, he spoke again.

"What?"

"Are you free today?" The voice asked.

Iwaizumi eyed his room and then to the clock on his nightstand. The curtains were still drawn, blocking out the sunlight, making the room appear like the inside of a cave.

"Besides laying in bed all day, I didn't have any plans," he replied nonchalantly, returning his attention to the conversation.

"Can we meet up? I'd like to do something with you today."

"I guess. Why?"

"I like spending time with you?"

Iwaizumi rolled his eyes.

"That sounds more like a question than a statement," he said.

"Well, what else am I supposed to say?"

"I don't know, maybe the real reason why?"

"But it is the real reason why," Oikawa insisted.

"Then just say it like a statement."

"I didn't call you for you to criticize what I say."

He was pouting. The pitch of his voice had risen and there was a hint of whining in his tone.

"Then why do you bother to call me at all?" Iwaizumi teased.

"Iwa-chan!"

"Fine, fine. I'll stop."

Oikawa sighed.

"What time works best for you?" he asked.

"Right now."

Iwaizumi glanced down at himself and his messy bed.

"As soon as I get dressed," he added.

"Okay, well, I just woke up, so how about in an hour?"

Iwaizumi raised a brow.

"You just woke up and the first thing you do is call me?"

"Off-topic, Iwa-chan. So an hour?"

"Sure."

"See you then."

The call ended and Iwaizumi switched off his phone and set it down. Sloppily rolling over, he landed on his stomach, on top of his left arm. He groaned into the pillow. With his body still half-asleep, Iwaizumi continued to roll until he was falling off the bed. Standing up, Iwaizumi trudged to the bathroom to take his shower.

<> <> <>

An hour later, Iwaizumi was standing in front of Oikawa's house. He was bundled in a variety of layers topped off with a scarf and hat. Deciding not to freeze his toes off, Iwaizumi had on a pair of fuzzy socks inside his boots. They were pink, and his mother's, but it was worth it. His feet has stayed wonderfully warm.

It was freezing. The clouds blanketed the sky, blocking the warmth of the sun. Maybe it would snow. Iwaizumi huffed and the warmth of his breath condensed in the cold air. It disappeared as fast as it had come.

Burrowing his chin in his scarf, Iwaizumi turned to Oikawa's house. He'd been waiting outside for at least ten minutes and had seen no sign of the idiot. He walked toward the front porch. The grass crunched satisfyingly under his weight. Climbing the stairs, he opened the screen and pounded on the wooden door. A couple of moments later, it opened, revealing a brown-haired boy.

"Shittykawa!" Iwaizumi scolded. "What happened to an hour?"

Oikawa looked startled.

"Sorry, Iwa-chan. I didn't realize you were here," he admitted.

"I've been freezing my ass off for ten minutes."

Smiling apologetically, Oikawa held the door open.

"Sorry, Iwa-chan. You didn't text me."

Iwaizumi stepped into the house, reveling in the warmth. He suddenly felt hot, his body burning beneath the layers of his clothes. He stripped off his top jacket and his scarf.

"Oikawa," he called. "Can you hurry up? I wanna be somewhere before it starts snowing."

"Coming, Iwa-chan!" The brunette yelled from the upstairs hallway.

Oikawa bounded down the stairs in the midst of looping a white scarf around his neck. He sat on the floor and slipped on his boots, lacing them and tying the string in a bow. After standing, Oikawa grabbed a heavy jacket, shoved his arms into the holes, and buttoned it.

"Ready," he announced.

Iwaizumi gave him a once-over.

"Make sure you have gloves because I'm not holding your hand again," Iwaizumi told him. Turning on his heel, Iwaizumi returned to the outdoors.

"But Iwa-chan," Oikawa whined, followed him,"What if I want to hold your hand?"

He locked the door and shut it behind him.

"Nope. Not gonna happen," Iwaizumi stated.

"So mean, Iwa-chan!"

<> <> <>

Over a half an hour of arguing over where to go, the two boys had decided on a small coffee shop on the outskirts of town. They sat at a two-person table next to the window. In front of them were steaming cups of hot chocolate topped with a gracious amount of whipped cream. Oikawa's was sprinkled with cinnamon; Iwaizumi's was not. He couldn't stand the taste of it.

Oikawa peered out the window at the sky. The clouds were dark gray, blanketing the sky in a thick coat. They didn't appear ominous. They were almost comforting, like you knew that they would soon sprinkle snowflakes from the sky.

"The clouds look like they're going to burst," Oikawa comment, taking a sip of his drink.

"It's a good thing we decided on someplace before it did. Or else we'd be cold and wet," Iwaizumi said.

"It's not like we were gonna be out there for another hour, Iwa-chan." Oikawa rolled his eyes.

"Please," Iwaizumi scoffed. "We'd never get anything done if I didn't just agree with you."

"You're so mean, Iwa-chan. Why're you always so mean?"

"It's not my fault you're an idiot."

"Bullying is not the correct way to handle your emotions, Iwa-chan."

"It's not bullying!"

Oikawa clicked his tongue and shook his head. He swiped his whipped cream with a spoon and shoved it into his mouth. He looked back out the window. Iwaizumi did the same, turning his head to gaze out at the street. The soft light from the shop illuminated the glass, causing a glare. Iwaizumi saw his reflection. He felt an odd feeling, staring back at himself. He was void of words to describe it.

Outside, there were many people occupying the street. Couples holding hands and chatting as they walked. Men in suits walking to whatever business related affair they were to attend. Groups of teenagers huddled together, trying to save whatever heat they created. Mother's chasing after their children when they saw something that caught their interest. It was thought provoking to see all these people surrounding him. To think about what each of them were feeling; what they were thinking. How many of them were going through the same thing he was.

His thoughts turned back to Oikawa. What was it like inside his brain? What was he thinking? How was he feeling? Masked by his outgoing behavior, there was a sense of loneliness. Iwaizumi could only guess what he was feeling. After having forgotten so many memories, it was a possibility that he felt left out. Alone. Isolated. Not all loneliness was a result of physical isolation. What effect did his memory loss have?

Iwaizumi cleared his throat before speaking.

"So," he said. "How are... things?"

Oikawa looked at him with a perplexed look on his face.

"Oh, uh, good. I guess. There's really not much to talk about besides school and volleyball," he admitted.

"How are you feeling?"

"How am I feeling?"

"Yeah. Like, with your emotions and stuff."

"Um, I guess I'm doing okay? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay."

The two fell into silence.

"Thanks for hanging out with me today, Iwaizumi," Oikawa said.

"Of course. It's not like I-"

"-had anything to do today," Oikawa finished. "I know."

Iwaizumi didn't know what to say. He could sense that Oikawa was feeling a little down, if you could put it that way. He studied him. Oikawa continued to gaze out the window. He had a distant look in his eyes.

Iwaizumi spoke up again.

"I mean, even if I did have something to do today: if you really wanted to hang out, I'd hang out with you."

Oikawa smiled.

"Thanks, Iwa-chan."

Iwaizumi looked down, slightly embarrassed with the words that had escaped his mouth. Trying to pull attention away from that, he said,"Hey, I'm finished with my drink. Do you wanna walk around for a bit?"

Oikawa took a long swig from his cup before setting it down. He wiped his mouth off with his sleeve.

"Sure," he said.

The boys got up from their seats and stood, slipping on their winter items back on. Then, Oikawa gasped. Iwaizumi's head jerked in his direction.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Oikawa pointed at the window.

"It's snowing," he said.

Sure enough, it was snowing. The flow of white specks was slow but steady as it came down. They had already started to lay and blanket the ground, hiding the black of the road.

They exited the shop and onto the sidewalk. Oikawa stuck his face to the sky, squinting from the brightness. His hair fell back, opening his face  the bite of the air. He looked delicate and pale with big brown eyes that swallowed the secrets of the sky. At that moment, Iwaizumi felt a slight tug in his heart. Had his accident not happened, Iwaizumi would have kissed him. But instead, he pulled Oikawa into a tight hug and buried his face in the brunette's shoulder. He stayed silent, taking the moment to thank the higher power for his best friend's life. Having been blessed by misfortune, this--this was the silver lining of a dark cloud.

Iwaizumi loved Oikawa. He always knew he had. Since middle school when his touch sent shivers through his body. Since a gaze from his hazel eyes would set a fire blazing on his face. Since he knew that what he felt was different than what most people felt about their best friends. Oikawa had always been something special, but the definition had changed over time.

And now there they were, standing under a crying sky leaking tears of frozen crystals. Iwaizumi's grip had remained tight. Their body heat mingled where they touched, right near their hearts. Eye squeezed shut, Iwaizumi took a deep breath. His actions had not only been a display of affection, but a way to ensure that Oikawa never saw the tears coming from his eyes.

______________________________

A/N: I am so very very sorry for not updating sooner. Weeks ago I said that I would update and I didn't and I am so sorry. I tried to make this chapter longer to make up for it. I also tried to make it a little deeper and (kind of; ish) more psychological, I guess? I'm sorry if it seems rushed of confusing (I literally wrote the whole second half while sitting in Barnes and Noble and drinking Starbucks). It is approximately 2,000 words and about four and a half pages on Google docs so I really did try to put more thought into it. I honestly feel so bad about it being so and I keep scolding myself for it. I promise I'll try harder in the future!!

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

771K 34.6K 16
You never know whose day you might make just a little bit better by handing them a gift - or in your case, a flower. "Oikawa's over there." You eyed...
1.5K 90 12
Haikyuu characters: Iwaizumi x Oikawa fanfiction! An alternative universe where Oikawa stays in Japan to continue his volleyball career and is roomma...
25.1K 559 38
Oikawa is invited to a series of weddings that he returns to Japan to attend. This means that he must come face to face with his unrequited crush and...
4K 106 17
Oikawa and Iwa were on the way home from practice when they got involved in an accident, resulting in a serious injury for Oikawa and leaving Iwa wi...