We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 9

15.8K 347 225
By keep_the_secret

“Okay , first of all “ Samantha began , “Call me Sam , or I swear I'll kill you .”

She grinned, and Charlotte laughed .

“Same here” Charlotte said , “It's Charles , to one and all .”

I blinked .

Sam walked over to me , and wrapped her arm around my shoulders .

“You're like our sister now , huh ?” She said , smiling . “That's so cool ! I've always wanted a sister !”

Charles rolled her eyes . “What am I , your pet doggy ?”

Sam glanced at her , and nodded . “Sit , girl “ She said seriously .

“Woof” Charles muttered , and flopped down again on the sofa .

Sam turned back to me .”So , Hazel .” She stared at me for a second , then squealed and hugged me tightly . I looked at Charles , who shrugged .

“She tends to do that” Charles said .

“I'm sorry , I'm sorry” Sam apologized , pulling away from me . “It's just so cool to meet you . Charles and I have been talking for days about who our new brothers or sisters are going to be .”

I nodded . “You're forgiven “ I said , “Are you two sisters ?”

Charles shook her head . “No . We're best friends though , always have been and always will be . We've known each other since we were really little.”

They glanced at each other and laughed . I had to admit , I was jealous of them . I wished I had someone like that , who I could tell anything to and could trust with my life .

Sam turned back to me . “So , who's adopting you ? I'm Jack , and Charles' Zack .”

That made sense . Jack was the random , hyper one from the band . Exactly like Sam .

“Alex” I said . They both grinned .

“That's so cool !” Sam yelled . She punched Charles lightly on the shoulder . “Isn't that so cool ?!”

Charles rubbed her arm gingerly . “The sad thing is , she's serious “ She said to me , before turning to Sam . “Yes , it's very cool .”

“Do you know who the other kid is ?” I asked . They shook their heads .

“No” Sam said .

“They're dead late , though “ Charles finished . I laughed at them both . It was so cool , how they finished each other's sentences . Although they looked like opposites , you would have though they were twins .

“Have you been in Care long ?” Charles asked me . I shook my head .

“Only a little more than a week” I replied , “What about you two ?”

“I've been in fourteen years , and she's been in fifteen” Sam answered .

“Because I'm fifteen , and she's only fourteen “ Charles explained , “Only a little baby .” She reached over and ruffled Sam's hair , who slapped her hand away .

“I told you to stop doing that” Sam said grumpily . Charles and I laughed .

“How old are you ?” Charles asked .

“Fifteen”I answered .

“Sam's the youngest , then” Charles said . Sam shrugged .

“That's cool . First is the worst , second is the best , third is the one that God loves best “ She chanted .

“I've never heard that before” I admitted . They laughed .

“Everyone says it where we come from” Charles explained .

“Where do you come from ?” I asked .

They glanced at each other , pondering the thought .

“Everywhere , really” Sam answered , “We've never stayed in one place for that long .”

“I think our record was six months” Charles added . She glanced at Sam for confirmation , and she nodded .

I laughed out loud .

“You've got to be kidding me” I said .

Sam shrugged . “What can I say ? All of our foster mothers really hated us .”

Charles and I laughed .

“I thought you said that you weren't actually sisters” I said, looking at them .

Charles nodded . “We aren't” She said .

“ Then how come you always got put in the same foster home ?” I asked curiously . “I thought that only happened when you were siblings .”

Sam shrugged . “I guess we were just lucky .”

“Not quite “ Charles contradicted , “Remember that time we got separated , and ...”

Sam burst out laughing . “Good times” She agreed .

“I don't want to know what you did” I said , standing up and raising my hands , “Please , never tll me .”

“Girls ?” Mary asked . We turned simultaneously , we hadn't realized she'd been standing there .

“I see you've all made friends” Mary said , nodding in approval .

“You bet” Sam said , standing up and hugging me . I tried to shrug her off , but man ,she was strong .

“Well ,” Mary said , “We're ready for you now . If you'd follow me into the conference room .”

“What about the other kid ?” Charles asked . Mary shrugged .

“Unless they turn up in the next fifty seconds , they're going to miss it” She replied bluntly .

Mary led us down the corridor , and through a set of double doors . Inside , there was a tale that could probably sit about fifty people . Right now , there were only four . John , Khalid , Nano and Ritchie .

“Sit down , girls” Mary said . She pulled out a seat beside John , and sat down .

“Here” Charles muttered to me. She pulled out chairs for both me and Sam, then sat down herself .

“Thanks” I told her .

“Alright , people “ Khalid said , “Let's start this meeting .”

He paused for a second , and began counting us .

“Only three ?” He asked in confusion , “Where's the other one ?”

Mary was only a social worker , with no authority over anyone else in the room . But she answered him anyway ,and no one dared to confront her about it .

“They're late . I told the secretary outside to try and get one of them on the phone .”

Khalid nodded . “Alright , then . We'll have to start without them .”

He turned to us .

“I'm pretty sue I've introduced myself to all of you , but just in case you've forgotten , I'm Khalid , and I'm in charge of this whole event . This is Nano , he's All Time Low's manager , and this is Ritchie , he's the director and producer of the documentary . Any questions ?”

We glanced at each other . Khalid's speech seemed to have been directed at us , me , Sam and Charles .

“No?” Khalid asked ,”Good . Nano ?”

Nano grimaced at him , and stood up .

“Hi , girls “ He said , waving a little . “I'm Nano Tissera , and like Khalid's just told you , I'm All Time Low's manager .”

We nodded . Ritchie began to speak .

“Hey , I'm Ritchie … I am the producer and director of Second Chance , the documentary .”

“Got it” Charles said .

“So , who are you guys ?” Asked Nano .

“I'm Sam .”

“I'm Hazel.”

“I'm Charles.”

They nodded . “And who's adopting you ?” Khalid asked us .

“ALL TIME LOW !” Sam yelled suddenly . The rest of the table winced in unison .

“She's Jack” Charles said , pointing to Sam . “I'm Zack , and Hazel is Alex .”

They all nodded .

“So , what's this about ?” Charles asked curiously .

Khalid opened his mouth to explain , but was interrupted when the doors were flung open .

“I'm sorry we're late “ The man said . He stood aside , to usher in a young girl . I looked at her , before deciding she was about twelve .

The last adoptee I thought mischievously , smiling to myself .

“Finally !” Mary said , standing up . “Everyone , this is Smith . He's young ...” She turned slightly to the girl .

“Pommie “ The girl said quietly . I raised my eyebrows , was that her name ?

I glanced warily at Sam and Charles . They seemed to be having the same thoughts as me .

Mary blinked in surprise . “Yes , he's young Pommie's social worker .”

Khalid stood up . “Nice to meet you” He said , extending a hand . Smith shook it warily .

“Care to sit down ?” Khalid asked , gesturing to the chairs .

As they sat down , I began to study Pommie . My new sister .

She was tall for her age , but she still looked fragile . Se held herself uncomfortably in her chair , glancing around the room subconsciously . This wasn't unusual , often children in care had that habit . I'd learned that within my first few days at the foster home . They looked around the room , unaware of what they were doing , searching for a way to escape . If you watched closely , you would see how they would become fixated on a a door or window .

Pommie had golden blonde hair . It really was beautiful , it glistened in the sun like a pirate's treasure . You could tell though , that it would never stand out in a crowd . She seemed to shy for that .

Her eyes were sea blue . Staring into them , you could almost hear seagulls calling to each other . They had a dull look drilled into them , which again was a common feature for a child in care to have . No doubt , an afternoon with Sam would fix that , though .

All in all , I liked the look of her .

My new sister .

“And Hazel is being adopted by Alex” Khalid was saying . I awoke from my daydreams at the sound of my name . Khalid was turned , facing Pommie , he seemed to be introducing all of us .

“Rian is adopting you then ?” Charles asked her .

Pommie nodded . We waited to see if she had any comment to add , but she remained silent .

“Alright , so before you came in”Khalid said , “Charles asked what the meeting was about . Well , it's really just to make sure you have no questions about anything .”

“Alright” Sam said , “What's the square root of 18945.6667 ?” She giggled feebly .

“Serious questions” Khalid said dryly .

“Wait” Nano called out , fishing out his phone . “137.64325882512372 .”

“That has nothing to do with anything !” Growled Khalid . Nano laughed at him .

“I've got a question “ Charles said . She looked at Sam , smiling a little . “A real one .”

“Go ahead” Khalid said , pleased that someone was taking him seriously .

“Where are we going to live ?” Charles asked .

“Good question” Khalid said , “Nano ?”

“The band live about twenty minutes from Baltimore City . They don't live together , but we all agreed that they should live in two's so it wouldn't be awkward for you guys . That means , Alex and Rian live together .”

“And Jack and Zack live together “ Finished Sam .

“Well , no” Nano said awkwardly , “They were supposed to , but Zack refused to share a housewith Jack , so they're next door neighbors instead .”

We laughed .

“Any other questions ?” Khalid asked .

“How far apart are the houses ?” I asked .

“About ten minutes walk from each other” Nano replied .

“Will we go to school ?” Sam asked .

Khalid nodded . “You are all already enrolled in the local high school there .”

Sam winced . You could tell she'd been hoping for a 'no' .

“This documentary you keep talking about” I said , “What is it exactly ?”

Ritchie grinned . “Finally , a question for me” He said .

“The documentary will be called Second Chance , like the project . It will show this group , and two others . We have already started filming , and are currently in the process of putting together our first episode . You remember that , when the band came around to meet you , we had cameras everywhere .”

“When will it start airing ?” Charles asked .

“Just after Christmas .”

Sam paused to count on her fingers . “That's just over three weeks” She said .

Charles laughed , and patted her on the back . “Well done , Sam “ She said .

Ritchie laughed at them . “Yes , it is . Over three weeks , I mean . Just to warn you , we will be filming around the house a lot , and at school sometimes too .”

“That's an invasion of privacy !” Charles said , frowning .

“Well , you'll have to sign the contract first” Ritchie said , eager to turn this around , “And it's not like we'll be shooting all the time , I think we agreed between the hours of four and seven on weekdays and two and nine on weekends .”

Charles frowned , but didn't object any further .

“Speaking of contracts” Khalid said , “If that's all the questions , we can get them signed , and you can all go home .”

“One last question” Sam said , “When are we leaving ?”

Khalid laughed . “It's Tuesday today , right ? Shall we say Friday , then ?”

Mary nodded . “That should give you enough time to get everything sorted , say goodbye to everyone .”

“Friday” Sam said , smiling .

“Friday” Nodded Charles .

“Friday” I agreed .

Pommie nodded . She didn't say anything , but her lips moved slightly , making her voice ring clear in our minds .

Friday .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...
9.2K 298 51
What does she have that I don't? Alex tried to talk to me, but I ignored him and walked off. "Good luck man, when she's pissed, she doesn't stop bei...
20.2K 608 24
Scout Gaskarth is the sister to the band All Time Low's lead singer, Alex Gaskarth. But when things happen and Scout has to live with Alex, what craz...
20.6K 551 15
It is said that when two people, one male and one female, have identical charmed necklaces, that the closer they get to each other, the more color il...