Of Beauties And Beasts

By gingerbread250

Highest Rating: #1 in Historical Fiction. Currently #1 under Historical Romance Lady Ginny Sherman is force... More

Authors Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Epilogue- Rosamaria Pt. 1
Epilogue-Rosamaria Pt 2
Epilogue- Rosamaria Pt. 3
2M Reads?!?!

Chapter Five

123K 5.3K 743
By gingerbread250

Ginny helped pack her mother's heavy winter dresses into her suitcase.  Lady Stockwell was busy fixing up her hair at the vanity.  She was looking at Ginny in the mirror, "Do you honestly think this is a good idea? Who will be looking after you girls while I am gone?"

Ginny smiled and went over to her mother who was frantically shoving a pin into her hair.  Ginny took the pin from her mother, who sighed in defeat.  She gently recoiled her mother's dark hair and slipped the pin in to secure it.  Ginny wrapped her arms around her mother, "Of course it is.  It is your anniversary.  You need to go on a trip."

"But France? Ginny, it's so far away and if something happens..." her mother twisted her gloves nervously.

"Nothing will happen. You will have an amazing trip. And Rosamaria and I have Cook and the other servants. The widow Lily Hanson promised to look after us. We will be perfectly fine." Ginny reassured her, reminding her of their neighbor's generous offer.

They didn't have any close relatives since their grandparents had all passed away years ago and their mother and father were both an only child in their family. But the widow Hanson had promised to keep an eye on the girls during the Earl and Countess's trip.

Her mother stood up and hugged her, "Alright.  I must go then. The coach leaves in an hour."

"I love you." Ginny said to her mother as she gathered her things and walked out of the door.

Her mother smiled at her, but the words I love you, wouldn't pass her lips.  Ginny still hadn't worked her way into her mother's good graces after neglecting to appear at the ball.  She had been constantly trying to ease over their relationship, but to no avail.  She wished every day would be exactly like this morning.  It had been forever since she had talked with her mother without them trying to rip each other's throats out.  She had quite liked it.  Perhaps this trip would help her mother forget about their little disputes and she would come back, happy to see Ginny again.  Though Ginny knew that was only wishful thinking.

.......................................................

The next day, the widow Hansen showed up with a few of her belongings. She stayed in the guest room and kept to herself most of the day, letting Ginny and Rosamaria reign free over their long days. They wouldn't be attending anymore balls until their parents returned, but they would be allowed to finish out the season.

Ginny hoped her parents had had a safe trip. So many things could've gone wrong. She had heard about multiple stagecoach accidents before. They could easily be robbed by bandits and then stranded, left for dead on the side of the road.

She knew her imagination was getting the best of her, but the thought made her feel sick, so Ginny got up and went to the kitchen.  Cook stood there, stirring a pot of something dark and creamy.  She looked up and smiled at Ginny, "I figured you'd be craving a cup of my famous hot cocoa, am I right?"

"You know me too well." Ginny slid onto a stool at the table.  She let her feet dangle above the ground, swinging them as her thoughts churned. She looked at the cook. "Do you think my mother and father will be safe?"

"Of course.  Why wouldn't they?" Cook placed a warm mug in front of her and leaned her elbows on the table.

She sighed. "I don't know. It's dangerous traveling on the roads...I just want them to be safe, you know?"

"Of course dear.  We will keep them in our prayers for a safe return.  Now, drink your hot cocoa. It will make you feel better." Cook patted her hand.

But Ginny knew the hot cocoa would do nothing. She wouldn't feel better until she got a letter from them stating that they had made it safely to France. Ginny forced down a sip.  She clenched the cup between her cold fingers.  Usually hot cocoa did the trick, but today she felt her stomach twisting and turning.  The hot cocoa did nothing to settle her nerves.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
The following week, the widow Hanson stepped into the drawing room with a letter in her hand. The old woman hobbled over to Ginny where she was stitching by the fireplace.

" 'Ere. Says its from France, it does. Best you read it." Mrs. Hanson sat down with a heavy thud on the sofa, impatiently tapping her fingers. Ginny's hands shook as she tore open the creamy envelope. Mrs. Hanson sighed when she hesitated. "Well git on with it! We 'aven't got awl day."

Ginny swallowed the lump stuck in her throat and began:

"The Sherman Family,

We are sending our deepest condolences. The Earl and Countess of Stockwell were found by the side of the road in an upturned stagecoach-" Ginny's chest constricted painfully, but she fought past the anguish and tears to continue reading.

"It appears to have been rampaged and all of the valuables were taken. It is not yet known if His Grace and Lady Stockwell passed in the accident or were killed afterwards by intruding bandits. You will be informed of the cause of death after a thorough autopsy.

'We would also like to inform you that because the Earl had no rightful heir, a son or son-in-law, to his inheritance, the money and the estate are invalid to the disposal of your remaining family unless current statuses change."

Deepest Condolences
The Queen's Consultant
James Wellington

Ginny crushed the letter angrily in er hand, red lining her vision, "So we have nothing? The Queen gets to take away everything of ours? What right does she have?!"

"Well, she is the Queen," Mrs. Hanson shrugged. Ginny let out a shuddered breath, a sob escaping her. Mrs. Hanson came over to console her. "Don't you cry, dear. It'll work out."

"But we are poor and destitute! We have no remaining family!" Ginny cried harder. "What shall I do?!"

"Well, you just gotta get yerself hitched to a rich man." Mrs. Hanson said simply. "But their ain't no use cryin' over it. Cryin' never fixed anything."

Suddenly, an idea snapped into Ginny's head. And it involved a certain scary man that she disliked very much. She stood up quickly, hoping it wouldn't be too late. She hugged Mrs. Hanson, "Thank you."

"I'm just 'ere ta help." She waved her off.

Ginny thanked her again before running off to find her sister. It seemed Rosamaria would be getting married after all.
.............................................
Moments later, Ginny and Rosamaria stood outside the door of the Lord Knightly's residence, wrapped up in their cloaks.  Their was a heavy chill in the air, and it froze Ginny to the bones.

Explaining what had happened to their parents hadn't gone over well with Rosamaria, but Ginny had managed to drag her here after much persuading and reminding her sister of their situation. Ginny had felt terrible, having to show Cook the letter and releasing the maids and Cook from their work. But it couldn't be helped. They had no money in which to pay for their employment.

Immediately afterwards, they had come to find Lord Knightly.  Since neither of them were male heirs, they could not tap into their fathers fortune.  Only a male heir or husband of one of his daughters could have the fortune.  Lord Knightly was their only chance at saving themselves from the streets.

That's if he would still have Rosamaria for a wife.

"Who is there?" A small maid peeked through the door.

"Lady Ginny and Rosamaria Sherman.  May we speak with Lord Knightly?"

"He is not home..." She began to shut the door.

Ginny shoved her hand against the door to stop it from closing, "Please.  It's very important."

The maid reluctantly nodded and let them in.  She removed their cloaks and lead them down a long, dark hallway.  She stepped into the library and curtsied, "My lord, you have visitors."

"Did you not tell them to leave?" Lord Knightly growled lowly in anger.

"I tried, my lord." The maid squeaked.

"Let them in." He commanded.

The maid ushered the two girls forward before rushing from the room in fear.  Lord Knightly turned from the fireplace to face them, his face showing displeasure.

Ginny dipped into a curtsy, her sister following suit, "Lord Knightly..."

"Why are you here?" He scowled.

"Our...our parents were on a stagecoach headed to France but they had an accident and they didn't make it..." Ginny managed to choke out.  She paused to collect herself and drew herself up to speak. She snapped her dark eyes up to meet his. "We need your help."

His eyes narrowed. "I'm listening."

"You have to marry Rosamaria. Please, it's our only chance. We aren't allowed to inherit our fathers fortune and will be forced to live out on the streets if you don't-"

"No." He cut her off, waving her away. "I want nothing to do with your family."

"But-" she began.

"I said no!" He roared. As if recognizing his harsh tone, his gaze softened slightly and he ran his fingers through his already tussled hair. "Why can you not go live with other family?"

Ginny had flinched at his tone but forced herself to stand her ground.  She looked over her shoulder and already saw Rosamaria making a break for the door.  Ginny brought her attention back to the angry lord.

"We have no other relatives. We are orphans." Ginny choked out. She was beginning to fall apart despite her best efforts. She raised her hands up in a gesture of trying to calm him, "If you marry her...you inherit all of our fathers fortune."

"I don't care about his fortune. I am plenty rich. Go and beg to marry some other poor soul." He said, turning his back on them. "There are plenty of them."

"We don't have time for that!" Ginny felt her panic rising. She marched up to him, anger fueling her movements as she grabbed his arm, forcing him to look at her. "We cannot waste our time spending a season to find another man who will marry one of us! You once offered your hand to my sister, can you not find the kindness within yourself to do so again?"

Lord Knightly studied her for a long moment before his shoulders finally slumped, "Alright. I'll marry Lady Rosamaria Sherman."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker
All Rights Reserved
I just basically changed the whole plot line here of how her parents died so for those of you who have already read the older version, I apologize. Let me know what you think of the knew version!!

Please remember to vote and comment!!
-Rosanna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 7K 34
Alexander smiled at her. "You are quite likeable, Emmeline, and I think we might one day be dear friends, but I doubt I shall ever wish to marry you...
99.3K 3.1K 61
"You are such a big bastard Aditya..Just because you married me forcefully, So do you really think that I will accept you as my husband.. Huh nonsens...
3.8M 154K 43
Avani, a princess from the lands of the south; beloved and cherished by her people, hated and abused by her family. Despite having the finest dresses...
319K 18.4K 58
Two stubborn people. One secret. An unwanted union. And God who put them together. When Jack and Perli marry, there's no doubt that at least one of t...