The Guide

By DhistiD

(Short story based on a real life dream) What would you say if somebody presented you with an opportunity to... More

The Guide
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Author's Note - How the story came to life.

Chapter 2

198 8 1
By DhistiD

The next morning she started early. She woke up, brushed her teeth. She took a warm shower and came out in her towel. She painted her nails pink and blow dried her hair till all the moisture evaporated. She selected a nice black casual dress and some short heels to go with it because her height was 5’9. She put on some casual make up and took her most decent purse and transferred Macy’s card into that. Park Street wasn’t far away from her house and so she took her car keys too. She had a small old car that she didn’t use much but for places that were slightly bit far away it was much more convenient than a stupid bus.

She sat inside her car and shoved her purse to the seat next to her. There was enough petrol in it to reach the coast of the town. Holding the steering wheel tight, she started the engine and it didn’t take a lot of time before she was on the road on her way to Park Street.

Danielle was doubtful and nervous about working for a stranger but something inside her told her that she should do this. She should try new things or else she will never have the chance to change her life. Danielle was a strong girl and she was used to keeping herself strong but sometimes when things got rough she would look at the symbol engraved over her wrist. It was a small tattoo, a blue phoenix’s skeleton, on the left hand that gave her the courage to go on in life. She got that tattoo done on her hand because she needed a reminder that if no one, not even god was there to look after her, a simple symbol over her hand could protect her from her sad life.

She did a phoenix because phoenixes are mythical creatures that rise from their ashes. They never die. The tattoo told Danielle if she ever failed, she would soon or later rise from her ashes. She would never let her spirit die.

Taking a right turn she found the building on Park Street where she was supposed to go. How did she know it was the right building? Because the town only had one street named Park Street and 22 was the buildings number that was evidently plated at the front gate.

It was a freshly painted, white building with huge glass windows placed within wooden frames. It looked like a classy place not a brothel. It satisfied some of the curiosity that had built inside Danielle on her car ride there.

She parked her car in an alley which was next to the white building for safe keeping.

She got out of her car and walked straight inside the building, climbing up the entrance stairs and ringing the third floors intercom.

“Yes?” A very delightful voice questioned.

“Hi, my name is Danielle Marques and Ms Macy asked me to come in for a trial about some job today” Danielle spoke confidently.

“Oh Danielle! We are so glad you could make it! Please come up” The voice told Danielle and suddenly the front door opened up with a buzz and she walked inside.

Slowly, Danielle walked up the stairs till the third floor, where she was practically breathless. The stairs were grand and pretty old. The ceilings were high and the walls were made of stone. “Interesting” Danielle thought, the mystery of this sudden job, the convenience of her ex - boss simply letting her go and apparently random people knowing her so well, it all was feeling so weird.

There was a huge glass door in front of the office Danielle was supposed to enter but before she did, she stopped and looked above the glass door and saw that there was a saying written over it.

Life is a mystery; sometimes all you need is a Guide to guide you through it.

“Wow” Danielle thought that was a beautiful saying written up there. She pushed the glass door and entered an office filled with neatly dressed, men and woman, running around with files in their hands and phones in their ears.  The walls were as white as the building outside and so was the ceiling. There was a glass wall that had the view of the street behind the receptionists table opposite the entrance. The flooring was wooden but it was a much lighter colour than natural wood. The entire place looked so elegant and enigmatic.

Danielle walked to the receptionists table and said, “I’m –

“Danielle Marquez?” The receptionist surprised her.

“Yea” Danielle took a step behind.

“Macy will be in here within five minute, why don’t you have seat?” she requested.

“Sure” Danielle nodded and she took a seat at a corner of the room and had a look around. She had positive vibes about the place. It was very very mysterious all of it but it felt right. She waited for Macy and kept staring at her shoes since she couldn’t really make eye contact with unknown people.

“Danielle!” Macy shouted her name out loud and Danielle looked straight into her eyes. She looked different from the restaurant, Danielle observed. It could be the lighting or something but Macy looked much younger than she originally had already predicted. She had a grey tight formal dress on, with a black thin belt at her waist. No hat. She had left her blonde hair open and her makeup was simple too. She was smiling at Danielle very smartly and she asked her to follow her.

Danielle quickly caught up with her and followed her into another room. Macy asked her to take a seat and she did.

“So, since you came here, does it mean you want to try out this job?” Macy asked her all excited.

“I guess so, I mean I don’t have any other job on the line, plus this pays good.” She shrugged.

“Good, very good, my boss will be happy” she bloomed.

“Can I meet your boss? I mean what if she like those madams that never let you leave these kind of jobs?”

“Nonsense it’s nothing like that. I told you I would give you a full fledge trial of this job. You can start working today, our client is a twenty five year old male. His name is Nathaniel Dorth. Dorth is a silly surname but he couldn’t help it, it was his family’s name. He is a bachelor, no girlfriend or anything –

“Wait, ‘was’ his family’s name?” Danielle asked.

“Yea, his parents died in a plane crash, common story apparently this shit happens to a lot of rich people” Macy shrugged.

“Alright, and why are you telling me he is single?” Danielle was taking things in the wrong way.

“Oh, oh, NO! I did not mean it that way. See you need to know if your client is single or not. If he is married, he will like to visit shops and places that his wife would appreciate more. If the man is single, he seeks escapism after his business meeting. A new town, he would want to go drinking or he would want a prostitute, which we will order for him, you’re not going be doing that job etc. Every detail makes you an excellent guide”  

“Alright” Danielle replied patiently. She had so many questions but instead of asking them, she wanted to know more about Nathaniel.

“Blue eyes, slightly long black hair, a chiselled face, full lips and he has a great smile, so we have to keep him smiling –

“WHAT! I mean… those are his features?” Danielle’s head was rotating. How could it be?

“Why? What’s wrong?” Macy stopped.

“How could that be? I mean I just…I was just thinking about a guy like that yesterday before you came in and changed everything in my life”

“Look Danielle, do you know how many twenty five year olds have blue eyes, black hair and a chiselled face? At least fifty thousand men across the universe.” Macy cleared her throat.

“It’s just, everything is such a coincidence, and everything is so convenient. Everything is too good to be true” Danielle looked at her shocked.

“Along with our clients, my boss likes to keep our employees happy too. Convenience is a part of the entire deal, my love. We select our employees very carefully, you’ve been chosen. It wasn’t random” Macy smiled.

“On what bases did you chose me? What’s your company’s name? What is this job? I have never heard of this ever in my life! Sometime I doubt the fact that this might be a trap or a dream maybe. It’s so mysterious, so ah! I don’t know!” Danielle got up and flung her hands behind her head. She was feeling very insecure.

“Danielle dear, why so many questions? I can guarantee you this isn’t a trap. You don’t have many options and looking at the way your panicking, good things haven’t been happening to you since a long time. I chose you because you’re beautiful. Now I’m not saying you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve seen but you are beautiful in your own way. This company needs beautiful girls as guides and because you are beautiful you have been offered this job. You have to trust us and we can’t tell you our companies name in the trial round, it is the company’s rule. Don’t ask why please. Take a seat and just go through this. Just one day? By tomorrow this time, 9 am, if you don’t want to continue you can quit. Alright?” Macy held her hands in front her as a sign of surrender so that Danielle could calm down.

“Fine. I’m sorry” Danielle sat down. She knew Macy was right. She didn’t have many choices. If something was easy or convenient in this world which sometimes it isn’t, it’s seen as a bad thing. She should trust them.

“Great, can I continue?” Macy looked hopeful at her…

“Yea, sure” Danielle forgot all her doubts and just kept her mind open about this opportunity.

“So I will assist you today” she smiled, “We have to reach the Grand Mer Hotel in an hour, that’s where Nathaniel will be in his presidential suite. Till then we will get you ready to be our trial guide”

“Get me ready?” Danielle questioned. What did that mean? She thought.

“Yes, you need a slight bit of a makeover honey so you can look at elegant as us, the perfect guide, you know”

“What’s wrong with me right now?”

“It’s better off I don’t say much” She waved her hand and got up. Danielle got up too, along with Macy and followed her to another room. It was a metal room filled with clothes, shoes and makeup. Make up - artists and stylists were waiting in a corner for her. It was all set up for Danielle, liked they were waiting for her.

The dress was picked out for her; the perfect shoes to go with that dress and the jewellery were also set up and put aside. Danielle sat down in front of a mirror where the artists began to work on her hair. They worked hard, smoothening and giving it the right cut. Some other girls worked on Danielle’s nails and feet, scrubbing her body till it was perfect and shiny. They gave her a facial and then worked on her face, putting the perfect amount of makeup on. After stage one was over, Danielle was asked to put on her white formal dress which looked just like Macy’s and she had long black pumps contrasting the dress. After it was all over, Macy pulled out a mirror for Danielle to look at herself.

It was a transformation. Danielle looked at how her long brown locks had layers now and highlights of light brown near her scalp. She looked perfect in red lipstick and the blush made her cheekbones pop out. The dress fitted her perfectly and the black pumps made her look like a giant but a feminine one. She really felt plush and pretty.

“I think now we are ready to leave” Macy nodded happily and asked Danielle to follow her.

They got down the stairs and into a black Mercedes. “This is the client’s car for the day.” Macy told Danielle.

“What am I supposed to say or do when I meet our client? I mean I don’t know anything” Danielle bit her lips.

“You just have to be yourself. Talk to him like a friend, ask him what he wants to do today and stuff like that, you know. Be causal and sweet, everything will work out just fine.”

“I guess so. Is he tall? I mean honestly why are my heels so high?” Danielle adjusted her toes in them.

“He’s 6’2, he likes women to be his height and that’s why we made you wear such high heels, it looks professional” She smiled.

“I’m panicking again” Danielle looked nervously at Macy.

“Take in deep breathes. See, these things are natural, you can make mistakes and do what you like, our aim is to give some company to our clients, keep them happy. You’re nervous and he must be too. He’s a new client you know, he’s never done such a service before so it will be fun, some of us even made permanent friends out of this.” Macy looked outside the window. “I think we’ve reached” she spoke as the drive entered the parking area of the five star hotel.

It was the only well-furnished hotel in the town that Danielle lived in. It wasn’t like she hadn’t come to this place before. As a kid Danielle had visited the place often and it still fascinated her enough to stare at the furnishing and polishing of the hotel again and again.

Danielle got out of the car and straightened her outfit. She waited for Macy to get out too but as soon as she had gotten off, Macy shut the door behind her.

“Aren’t you coming?!” Danielle suddenly shouted, touching the window of the car with both her hands like a child.

“No, I’ll be coming in the evening” Macy looked at her happily.

“But you said you would assist me today!” Danielle hit the glass, with fear in her eyes.

“Yes and I will, only in the evening. I have to go now, have a great day!” she waved goodbye and the car began to move. Danielle tried running behind the car but it was pointless. “Isn’t this the car that’s gonna service the client?!” Danielle shouted as she watched the car retreat away from her.

“Yes it will, I just need a drop back! The car will be back in fifteen minutes!” Macy confidently told Danielle.

“What do I do till then in his room?!” Danielle wondered.

“Get friendly! Relax! It will work out!” she screamed out of the car before it took a turn to leave. “And remember to have fun! Good luck Danielle!!” those were Macy’s last words and then the car disappeared. It was so weird, once again. Was this the way they got new guides to gain courage? Leaving them alone for their first time?

Danielle entered the hotel and took the lift to the presidential suite. She kept telling herself that this was just a trial. She could quit anytime she wanted too. It was all fine. How hard could it be??

The lift stopped on the last floor and Danielle’s heart started to beat against her chest. Her hands were sweaty again and she knocked on the door of her clients’ suite. It was the only suite on the entire floor.

“Come in!” somebody shouted from the insides of the suite, a second after Danielle had knocked on the door. The voice seemed welcoming and nervous which made Danielle nervous too because of which she stared at the golden door knob of the door and bit her nail wondering if she should just barge in or not.

She stood their curious and lost and then finally decided to enter anyways but it was too late. As soon as she was about to open the door, it pulled open the other side and Danielle got pulled along with it in full force leading her to crash into the chest of a tall man.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry” she quickly took a step back and looked up. It was obvious but it still startled Danielle, she had never seen such a handsome boy in her life. He had an unlit cigarette in his mouth. His white shirt was loosely pulled out of his trousers and his black tie was hanging undone around his neck. His eyes searched Danielle’s and he was as taken aback as Danielle was.

“M – Mr Nathaniel?” she gulped.

“Hi” he pulled the cigarette out of his mouth and straightened his back. He wasn’t angry anymore and he took a step inside his suite so that Danielle could come inside. “Call me Nate” he said confidently.

“Alright Nate, my name is Danielle” she showed him her right palm so he could hand shake it.

“Hi Danielle, I thought Macy would be assisting me today” he scratched his eyebrow unsure of what else to say.

“Oh, well she had some last minute work and so she sent me instead. I hope it’s not a problem” Danielle smiled.

“Not at all” Nate replied lost in her eyes. He finally looked away and walked to the window. He put his cigarette back in his mouth and lit it. He took in one big puff and then turned around to look at Danielle one more time, “this is – this is my first time” he sighed.

“Mine too” she laughed. She felt so pretty by the way he was secretly glancing at her. He had beautiful broad shoulders and he looked so smart and smart men relishing on women like her was a compliment to Danielle.

“Good, so where are you from Danielle?” he asked her, smoking at his will.

“I’m from here and you?” she asked him, shifting her weight from one foot to another.

“I’m from New York” he smiled. He had an amazing smile, Danielle thought. She was on cloud nine. She loved the way he moved his body when he walked around. His clothes were not worn neatly yet he looked so hot. His hair was messed up and because they were long, they looked even messier, falling across his forehead like he was a young boy. His lips were so sensually, sucking the smoke from the cigarette’s end and the way he blew the smoke out of his nose occasionally was interesting to her. She got the chance to look at his stubbed chin and cheeks while he spoke, moving his hands and adding texture to his personality. He was the living imagination of the man she was dreaming of almost all her life. Who would think such a thing could happen to her so unknowingly, “I think ‘I’ll get dressed” he interrupted Danielle’s thoughts.

“Sur – Sure” she began to breathe again.

Nate went into the room and took a while to come out. Danielle went to the window to see she could see if the car was back yet. There wasn’t a very sure sign of it but she knew by the time Nate would come out, the car would be here.

She took a seat over a bouncy, floral designed sofa. The ac was keeping her calm and she waited patiently for Nate to come out. It was only ten minutes later, the client’s door opened and a very neat looking, boisterous man came out. He had changed his clothes and set his hair behind neatly. He wore black jeans and a grey, full sleeves V – neck top. He looked so sexy in casuals it almost killed Danielle.

“Am I supposed to wear formals?” he asked Daniel as walked towards her.

She got up and smiled very sweetly, like she was his girlfriend or something. It was weird that she already felt like she knew him which was quite the contrary. “No, actually the place I’m planning to take you requires you to be wearing casuals” she said, putting her hands behind her back and moving side to side slowly.

“Oh, great, is it okay if you would wear casuals too?” he bit his lips and crossed his hands across his chest.

“Oh, um… I haven’t carried any, I think maybe I have to be dressed in this outfit” Danielle wasn’t very sure.

“Okay, how about I ask you the same question in another way; Do you want to get into some casuals?” he smiled sweetly, raising his eyebrows in hope she would say yes.

“Hahaha, yea, I would actually love too” Danielle admitted, hiding her blushing cheeks behind her very soft smile.

“Great, so first we’ll go to your place to help you change and then we’ll go to that place you said you wanted me to visit” he pointed out excited, still looking at her gentle reactions.

“Excellent choice Mr Nate” she blushed.

“Just Nate” he looked in her eyes and opened the door, so that they both could leave. “I took the liberty to ask Macy if I could take my car instead of theirs and she gladly agreed” he told Danielle.

“Not a problem. Nate.” she replied.

They walked into the parking lot and Nate asked Danielle to wait for him wherever she was standing, till he got his car. In no time a black sports car drove in at full speed and came to a stop next to Danielle.

“Porsche?” Danielle bent and asked him through the window.

“Two seater” he winked and opened the door for her from the driver’s seat.

“Excellent, I’ve never sat in a sports car before” she looked excitedly at Nate.

“For real? Wow, I did not know that, anyways this is a rental, I don’t own it” he said and began to drive outside the hotel.

“So where do you live?” he asked her, making conversation to know her better.

“Redford Street, I’ll show you” she said and guided him to her house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 61.8K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
1.5M 83.8K 83
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
1.6M 107K 200
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
1.1M 69.4K 33
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...