Chapter 2

The next morning she started early. She woke up, brushed her teeth. She took a warm shower and came out in her towel. She painted her nails pink and blow dried her hair till all the moisture evaporated. She selected a nice black casual dress and some short heels to go with it because her height was 5’9. She put on some casual make up and took her most decent purse and transferred Macy’s card into that. Park Street wasn’t far away from her house and so she took her car keys too. She had a small old car that she didn’t use much but for places that were slightly bit far away it was much more convenient than a stupid bus.

She sat inside her car and shoved her purse to the seat next to her. There was enough petrol in it to reach the coast of the town. Holding the steering wheel tight, she started the engine and it didn’t take a lot of time before she was on the road on her way to Park Street.

Danielle was doubtful and nervous about working for a stranger but something inside her told her that she should do this. She should try new things or else she will never have the chance to change her life. Danielle was a strong girl and she was used to keeping herself strong but sometimes when things got rough she would look at the symbol engraved over her wrist. It was a small tattoo, a blue phoenix’s skeleton, on the left hand that gave her the courage to go on in life. She got that tattoo done on her hand because she needed a reminder that if no one, not even god was there to look after her, a simple symbol over her hand could protect her from her sad life.

She did a phoenix because phoenixes are mythical creatures that rise from their ashes. They never die. The tattoo told Danielle if she ever failed, she would soon or later rise from her ashes. She would never let her spirit die.

Taking a right turn she found the building on Park Street where she was supposed to go. How did she know it was the right building? Because the town only had one street named Park Street and 22 was the buildings number that was evidently plated at the front gate.

It was a freshly painted, white building with huge glass windows placed within wooden frames. It looked like a classy place not a brothel. It satisfied some of the curiosity that had built inside Danielle on her car ride there.

She parked her car in an alley which was next to the white building for safe keeping.

She got out of her car and walked straight inside the building, climbing up the entrance stairs and ringing the third floors intercom.

“Yes?” A very delightful voice questioned.

“Hi, my name is Danielle Marques and Ms Macy asked me to come in for a trial about some job today” Danielle spoke confidently.

“Oh Danielle! We are so glad you could make it! Please come up” The voice told Danielle and suddenly the front door opened up with a buzz and she walked inside.

Slowly, Danielle walked up the stairs till the third floor, where she was practically breathless. The stairs were grand and pretty old. The ceilings were high and the walls were made of stone. “Interesting” Danielle thought, the mystery of this sudden job, the convenience of her ex - boss simply letting her go and apparently random people knowing her so well, it all was feeling so weird.

There was a huge glass door in front of the office Danielle was supposed to enter but before she did, she stopped and looked above the glass door and saw that there was a saying written over it.

Life is a mystery; sometimes all you need is a Guide to guide you through it.

“Wow” Danielle thought that was a beautiful saying written up there. She pushed the glass door and entered an office filled with neatly dressed, men and woman, running around with files in their hands and phones in their ears.  The walls were as white as the building outside and so was the ceiling. There was a glass wall that had the view of the street behind the receptionists table opposite the entrance. The flooring was wooden but it was a much lighter colour than natural wood. The entire place looked so elegant and enigmatic.