We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 7

14.8K 372 64
By keep_the_secret

A/N Only a short chapter . Mainly a filler , but read it anyway . I promise  the story will really kick off in the next chapter ;)

Cait was waiting for us in the minivan .

“Finally” Terri said , when we got in .

“We had to go to the office” Tashie replied . Or hissed , might be better .

“Cait won't tell us who got adopted until dinner “ Terri said . That explained the pissed-off looks on everyone's faces .

“Did you find out then ?” I asked Cait .

“Yes . Nano called me while you kids were at school “ She spared a look at me , then turned bak to the road . “You'll find out at dinner , like Terri said . And I'm not giving any hints out before then .”

“How many of us are getting adopted ?” Tashie asked , “You can at least tel us that .”

Cait hesitated , before nodding .

“Just one of you .”

Just one of us I thought , Only one of us get to escape .

When we got home , everyone was buzzing about who was getting adopted . It felt weird , like in the space of twelve hours I had been transported through three different worlds ; Hanging out with a rockstar , Joining a new school , and Life in a foster home .

While Cait began to cook dinner , she advised us all to go up and get started on homework .

I had gotten homework in most subjects , including History .

“What's your least favourite subject that you got homework in ?” I asked Tashie , as we walked to our rooms . She paused for a moment , thinking .

“Spanish “ She replied eventually . I grinned .

“Tell you what “ I said , “I'll do your Spanish homework , if you do my History .”

Tashie thought for a second , before nodding . “Deal” She agreed , shaking my hand . She beckoned me into her room , and we gave each other the books that we needed .

“Thanks !” I said as I left .

My room didn't have a desk . I realized this only when I came into it , and thought back to Friday evening , when everyone came home from school and crowded around the dining room table .

“So that's why they did that “ I murmured .

I sat down on my bed , and layed my books out in front of me . I started with Maths , laughing quietly while I remembered Darren's antics .

I was glad that if Alex didn't adopt me , I would have some friends here . Tashie , Darren , Emma . Sasha too . Tashie seemed to like her , although I hadn't met her yet .

If Alex didn't adopt me .

Of course he won't A sly voice at the back of my mind said . Who would want to adopt you ?

I shook my head violently . That wasn't true .

Of course it's not The voice muttered .

I shook my head again , then laughed .

“I can't believe this “ I said to myself . “I'm arguing with myself .”

When Cait called us for dinner , I had barely finished my homework . I slid my books into my bag , and nipped around to Tashie's room to give her her Spanish homework .

She looked like she'd been finished hers for ages , she was leaning back on her bed , eyes closed , deep in thought .

“Tashie ?” I asked quietly . No answer .

I stepped closer , and shook her shoulder gently .

Her eyes blinked open , and she looked up at me .

“Oh , hey Hazel” She said , yawning .

“You fell asleep ?” I asked in disbelief . Tashie bit her lip and nodded .

“Well , Cait called us all down for dinner .”

Tashie jumped up , smiling .

“She's going to tell us who is getting adopted !” Tashie said . I nodded , and together we went downstairs .

Everyone else was already waiting at the table . Cait smiled at us , and gestured to two empty seats .

“Well , now that everyone's here “ She said , passing us our dinners , “We can get down to business .”

“Who is it !” Terri demanded .

Cait glanced around at us nervously .

We pushed our plates away from us . No one was hungry anymore .

“Well , only one of you have been chosen” Cait said . We nodded ; she'd told us this already .

“That person … hasn't been here long “ She continued . A few of us sighed , and looked down . I didn't , though . I hadn't been here long , there was still a chance for me .

Then , my hope stopped . That one dream I'd been clinging on to , crashed down on me . Just a couple of words , whispered to me .

Tashie didn't mean it , though . She didn't want to hurt me , she wasn't thinking that way at all . She wasn't even thinking about herself when she said it .

So I couldn't hold it against her .

Tashie leaned towards me , and whispered , just four little words .

“I can't leave Fay” She hissed . “I can't , I just can't leave her .”

And with that , she got up , and left the table .

I sat there for another second . Tashie thought Alex had chosen her to be adopted .

And , now , I did too .

It made sense . Alex had never met Tashie , but I'd met Alex , and in that time I'd realized what kind of person he was . He liked doing things with absolutely no real reason behind them .

He'd seen Tashie storming off , and watched her curiously . I'd pointed out to him her door , and he'd looked at it with a type of longing .

Cait was saying something , but I didn't listen as to what it was .

“Can I leave , please ?” I asked . Cait looked surprised , but nodded .

Once I left the room , I ran . I wished I could have run away , into the streets and just think , out in the open , but I knew that was impossible . So I ran upstairs instead , and into my room .

Stupid !” I hissed , “Stupid ! Alex would never adopt me , why would he ?!”

I sat down on my bed with a thump . Tears began to flow out of me , and I cried , the first time since the accident . Fuck , I cried .

I spent about half an hour , just lying on my bed and crying .

After a while , I sat up an wiped my eyes .

“No point in just crying about it” I muttered to myself .

I didn't want to think about it , though . Glancing around my room , I spotted something that might help lift my spirits . Steven's guitar .

I picked it up , shifting it around on my lap until it felt just right . And it did feel right .

“Thank you “ I said softly . I knew Alex couldn't hear me , but I whispered it anyway . “Thank you .”

I named the strings , tapping each one , then began to pluck out scales .

The sound of the guitar relaxed me , so I kept going over and over what Alex had taught me .

“Hazel ?” A voice asked . I jumped , the guitar sliding out of my hands and onto the floor .

I need to get a strap for that I thought .

I walked to the door , and blinked when I saw who was standing outside .

“Terri ?” I said .

Terri shifted awkwardly .

“I just wanted to say congratulations “She said .

“Huh ?”

Terri frowned . “Well , you know , for getting adopted .”

“What !”

“Didn't you ...”

I stared at her , then blurted out a thank you , before running downstairs .

“Where's Cait ?” I asked someone . Blondie , green eyes . Cute .

He shrugged . “Kitchen , maybe ?”

“Thanks !”

Cait was in the kitchen . I jumped to her side .

“Who is it ?” I asked her .

She blinked . “What do you mean , love ?”

“You said only one of us was getting adopted – who was it !”

Cait frowned . “You are .”

“I am ?”

She nodded slowly . I got the distinct impression that as soon as I left the room she would be calling a shrink .

“Of course , it's voluntary . If you don't want to , then -”

I cut Cait off before she could jump t any conclusions .

“No , I want to . Thank you .”

I wished I could talk to Alex . Ask him , why , out of all the homes he'd visited , out of all the kids he'd seen , why he'd chosen me .

I fell asleep , that thought still lingering in my mind .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 929 73
______ "I need a room for a night?" I ask the lady at the check in desk at the hotel. She didn't question the tears running down my face, or my phon...
191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...
13.3K 317 40
When Holly meets All Time Lows Alex Gaskarth she has no idea the impact he'll have on her life.
72K 1.6K 42
Rozlynn Gaskarth is the little sister of All Time Low's frontman, Alex Gaskarth. She is also best friends with Dahvie Vanity and Jayy Von Monroe from...