An Unexpected Journey

By BubblyYork

Athena seeks out her grandmother to tell her one of her favourite stories. The Hobbit/Percy Jackson Fanfictio... More

Summary
Prologue: Grandmama's Story
Chapter One: Thalia Hunter
Chapter Two: The Bright Light
Chapter Three: Welcome to Middle Earth
Chapter Four: Meeting the Company
Chapter Five: Thorin Oakenshield
Chapter Six: More Questions than Answers
Chapter Seven: On the Road
Chapter Eight: Camping Under the Stars
Chapter Nine: Annoying Wizards
Chapter Ten: Missing Ponies
Chapter Eleven: Troublesome Trolls
Chapter Twelve: Thalia the Evil Witch
Chapter Thirteen: The Mysterious Voice
Chapter Fourteen: Being Hunted
Chapter Fifteen: Ouch That Hurt
Chapter Sixteen: Waking in Rivendell
Chapter Seventeen: Daughter of Poseidon
Chapter Eighteen: Dining with Elves
Chapter Nineteen: Escaping at Night
Chapter Twenty: The Misty Mountains
Chapter Twenty-One: Greek Gods of Old
Chapter Twenty-Two: Meeting Poseidon
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Twelve Olympians
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Goblins Cave
Chapter Twenty-Five: Escaping the Caves
Chapter Twenty-Six: Reunited Again
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Azog the Defiler
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Power Within
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Escaping and Healing
Chapter Thirty: Exhaustion
Chapter Thirty-One: Growing Closer
Chapter Thirty-Two: More Running
Chapter Thirty-Three: The Tale of Cronus
Chapter Thirty-Four: Beorn the Shape-Charger
Chapter Thirty-Five: Strange Gifts
Chapter Thirty-Six: Broken Chains
Chapter Thirty-Seven: A Little Honesty
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Accepting Courtship
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Heading for Mirkwood
Chapter Forty: The Enchanted Forest
Chapter Forty-One: Twisted Visions
Chapter Forty-Two: Sleepless Night
Chapter Forty-Three: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Forty-Four: Lady of Mirkwood
Chapter Forty-Five: Being Locked Away
Chapter Forty-Six: Being Found
Chapter Forty-Seven: Getting Answers
Chapter Forty-Eight: Escaping from Mirkwood
Chapter Forty-Nine: Bard the Bowman
Chapter Fifty: Sneaking into Lake Town
Chapter Fifty-One: Bard's House
Chapter Fifty-Two: Being Caught
Chapter Fifty-Three: Only Have to Ask
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Celebration Banquet
Chapter Fifty-Five: The Difficult Decision
Chapter Fifty-Six: Those Left Behind
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Doing the Right Thing
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Smaug Arrives
Chapter Sixty: A Long Awaited Moment
Chapter Sixty-One: The Lonely Mountain
Chapter Sixty-Two: Tension Rises
Chapter Sixty-Three: Preparing for Battle
Chapter Sixty-Four: Defending a Friend
Chapter Sixty-Five: Dáin II Ironfoot
Chapter Sixty-Six: Battle of the Five Armies
Chapter Sixty-Seven: The Battle Continues
Chapter Sixty-Nine: Arriving Late
Chapter Seventy: The Final Stand
Chapter Seventy-One: Devastating News
Epilogue: Far from Over
Sequel: There and Back Again

Chapter Sixty-Eight: Mountain Attack

431 20 0
By BubblyYork

"The Dwarves, they're rallying," Bilbo breathed in looking over the wall towards the mountain, he had been following Thalia along the wall when he had heard the sound of a horn; he was almost surprised to see what was happening. 

Thalia stopped walking and looked towards the mountain, she felt breath catch in her throat at the sight of the dwarves rallying in their fight; things hadn't been going well and it had occurred to her that they would lose this battle to the orc army. 

Gandalf hurried forward and stopped next to the pair, watching the scene before them as the dwarves prepared for their final stand to stop the orcs taking control of the mountain like they wanted. 

"They're rallying to their King," Gandalf said relieved that this was happening, he watched the charge as the dwarves dealt with the massive of orcs that were outside of the mountain now. 

They would have to do something if they wanted to ensure that they weren't defeated; it was all becoming too much for them to hold off. 

Nothing seemed to be able to drive the orcs back and Gandalf feared that if they didn't act quickly then the mountain and Dale would fall under orc control and that was the last thing that they needed. 

Thalia swallowed the lump in her throat at the thought, she wasn't sure how she felt about this but she knew that something must have happened with Thorin. 

The dwarf that had banished her a few hours earlier would not have lead an army to fight; he would have buried his head in the sand trying to protect his gold. 

Her eyes swept the battle trying to spot any of the company, Thalia couldn't see any of them and she prayed that they would all be safe with everything that was going on.

A thud shook Thalia from her search and she looked down to see that a troll had fallen, she snorted amused thinking of how it reminded her of a turtle when it was stuck on their back. 

People were fleeing around them and Thalia doubted that this battle was far from over, she was hopeful that they wouldn't all end up dead by the end of this; she was rather fond of the people around her and those who were fighting. 

"Thalia," Bilbo shouted catching the blonde's attention, his eyes trained on the fast moving figures that was moving up the hill not far from them. 

It didn't take much for him to guess who was leading the charge and Bilbo feared what Thorin might have planned; he couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen now. 

Moving towards Bilbo, Thalia's eyes quickly found what he was staring at and she felt her stomach drop at the four figures that were disappearing quickly up the mountain. 

Gandalf stood beside them also watching the scene, he was sure that whatever Thorin had planned would allow them to gain some advantage in this war. 

"He's taking his best warriors," Gandalf mused noting that Thorin was taking Fíli, Kíli and Dwalin with him towards were the orc base was; there was so much going on and they needed to deal a fatal blow. 

It was clear that the orcs weren't going to just leave without a little push but there was only so much the armies of man, elf and dwarf could do to push them back and defeat them. 

"To do what?" Bilbo asked turning to look at Gandalf, he was sure that they would be okay; he didn't look at Thalia unsure how she would feel about this. 

Gandalf was silent, he truly did hope that the four were able to defeat the orc that was leading the charge; Azog was a problem that needed to be dealt with and quickly. 

"To cut off the head of the snake," Gandalf replied his eyes watching the dwarves disappear, he had little doubt that Azog was in for a surprise. 

Thalia closed her eyes, a prayer on her tongue knowing that this could all turn rather quickly; she couldn't shake the feeling like she was missing something.

"Gandalf," Legolas shouted riding into the square, his eyes quickly spotting the wizard and riding towards him with Tauriel behind him; he had come as quickly as he could but clearly he hadn't arrived quick enough. 

It had been a long trip and he had tried to return as quickly as possible, Legolas had discovered what Azog was planning and this was only the beginning of what was planned. 

Gandalf descended the stairs followed by Thalia and Bilbo, he moved as quickly as he could careful not to be caught in an ambush by some orc that thought they could be clever. 

"Legolas Greenleaf," Gandalf greeted moving towards the prince, he was surprised to see him here and not by his father's side; things were so uncertain right now and there was little time to waste. 

The dwarves were on the rebounded and the men were doing their best to ensure that Dale didn't fall to the enemy; all would be lost if even one side lost their fight. 

"There is a second army," Legolas revealed making Thalia stop, she stared at him knowing that this was not the time for them to fear what would happen now. 

If a second army arrived then there was no way that they could beat them back, they were struggling now with one army to deal with and a second wouldn't help things. 

"Bolg leads an army of Gundabad wargs, they are almost upon us," Legolas stated urgently, this entire place was about to be over run and he doubted that anyone would survive the slaughter to come. 

Thalia felt like she couldn't breathe, she ignored the looks that Tauriel gave her knowing that she wasn't in the mood to deal with the she-elf right now. 

"This was their plan all along," Gandalf realised, it was a trap and they were all caught up in it; there was no way that any of them would be able to escape now.

Thalia and Bilbo watched as the realisation started to dawn on them, this was not going to end well and there was no way that they would be able to win now; they would all be massacred when the second army arrived. 

"Azog engages our forces then Bolg sweeps in from the North," Gandalf whispered wondering if it was too late to do something, they needed re-enforcements before they were completely overwhelmed. 

Tauriel looked around trying to see if she could see anyone, Dale was a mess and there was little doubt that it would be destroyed when the second army arrived; they were all going to die if they remained here. 

"The North? Where is the North?" Bilbo asked trying to gain his baring, his eyes swept around trying to see if he could figure it out; he could see from Thalia's face that he wasn't going to like the answer. 

Her eyes were already locked on the hill were Thorin and the others had disappeared, she felt sick at the thought and she feared just what was coming for them all. 

"Ravenhill," Gandalf informed the hobbit, he doubted that anyone else wouldn't have worked it out and he moved a couple of steps towards the mountain; they needed to do something and quick. 

Bilbo stared at Thalia, he could see that this was bothering her and he didn't blame her; this was not meant to happen and now everything that they had fought for could be lost in a second. 

No one said a word for a moment, this was bad and Thalia felt like everything was being ripped from her in one moment; her mind flashed to the vision that she'd when they had been in Mirkwood. 

It scared her that there was a chance that vision could come true, the last thing that Thalia ever wanted was for that to happen in real life. 

"Thorin is up there and Fíli, Kíli, Dwalin," Bilbo whispered, the four would be the first to fall in the invasion and there was nothing that could be done now. 

Someone had to go up there and warn them that something that was coming and try to save them from the fate that was being dealt to them at that moment.

Gandalf looked around and spotted Thranduil stalking through the city, he didn't have to read minds to know what the elven lord was planning; he had to put a stop to that before it was too late. 

"My lord! Dispatch this force to Ravenhill, the Dwarves are about to be overrun! Thorin just..." Gandalf pleaded starting towards Thranduil, there was already so many dead and it was only going to get worse. 

He had no idea what was going through Thranduil's mind but Gandalf had a feeling that the elven lord had decided it was time that his people left this war. 

Legolas lingered back to watch his father, something had to be done and he didn't know why he seemed so convinced that they could hide away in Mirkwood and ignore what was happening. 

"By all means, warn him. I have spent enough Elvish blood in defence of this accursed land. No more," Thranduil insisted, he was about to give his son an order before shaking his head when Legolas turned away from him and moved towards Tauriel. 

Thalia held back a scoff at the fact that Thranduil was actually fleeing with his tail between his legs; people around them were dying and yet the elven lord only cared for himself. 

Gandalf called after Thranduil hoping to convince him to return and help with this war; he grumbled when he realised his words were falling to deaf ears. 

"I will go," Bilbo offered knowing that he could not let his friends die, something had to be done and they had to act quickly if they wanted a chance to save them. 

Gandalf shook his head knowing that there was no way that he could just allow the hobbit to take on such a dangerous mission; he would be killed and he wished to protect him.

"It's too dangerous," Gandalf replied wondering if the two elves would be willing to travel up to warn Thorin of the danger that was fast approaching; they needed to do something and there was so many people that needed warning. 

Thalia sighed moving to make sure that her hair was properly tied back, she was tired and she knew that this day was far from over. 

"I will go with him," Thalia insisted wanting to be useful, she couldn't just let Bilbo travel up to the mountain alone; he would surely run into some kind of trouble doing so. 

Bilbo and Gandalf looked towards the demi-god witch and it was clear that neither of them had expected this; however, Thalia didn't care since she was sure that she would be more help to Bilbo than she would be down here.

If they could stop the charge before anything happened, then they would have time to return and prepare for what came next. 

"Thalia it would be best..." Gandalf started wanting nothing more than to keep her close, the last thing they needed was for Thalia to be killed during this fight. 

Gandalf had brought her here to help them and it would be better served making sure that the men of Dale weren't slaughtered by the orcs; it was going to be hard enough now that Thranduil was leaving.

"No. You don't tell me what is best for me... we are at war, my life is no more important than any of the others here," Thalia replied shaking her head, she wasn't just going to stay here and hide away when she could fight and protect people. 

Azog was determined to end the line of Durin and there was no way that Thalia would let him have that chance; she signalled for Bilbo to follow her before they left Gandalf behind. 

They didn't have much time and Thalia could only imagine what they would find when they reached the top of the mountain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 375 48
Book Two Percy Jackson is missing, and Y/n, his half sister, will do anything it takes to get him back, including going on a crazy quest with a proph...
1.1K 97 4
Dispatch got the call / Girl is maimed and mauled. Percy Jackson / Female Oc Percy Jackson and th...
183 0 11
Fanfiction about Percy and Annabeth when they're older, doing a quest to get into college.
274 10 4
A collection of unrelated one-shot fanfic stories based on prompts. Fandoms: Harry Potter Sherlock Game of Thrones Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find...