The Night Rider

Por CaptainSarcastic101

The world of Para Dormus is a complicated place full of dragons, demons, magic and mystery. No one knows that... Mais

Preface
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Tempest
Chapter 2 - Mist Maiden
Chapter 3 - Grimoire
Chapter 4 - Jester
Chapter 5 - Overtaken
Chapter 6 - Threat
Chapter 7 - Grimmordials
Chapter 8 - Nightfall
Chapter 9 - Memoriam
Chapter 10 - Watchtower
Chapter 11: Enforcers
Chapter 12 - Silvertongue
Chapter 13 - Agar
Chapter 14 - Resolve
Chapter 15 - Bewitcher
Chapter 16 - Apprentice
Chapter 17 - Imperial
Chapter 18 - Conviction
Chapter 19 - Camaraderie
Chapter 20 - Challenger
Chapter 21 - Kindred
Chapter 22 - Weave
Chapter 23 - Collapse
Chapter 24 - Blame
Chapter 25 - Ghost
Chapter 27 - Choices
Chapter 28 - Nivara
Chapter 29 - Infernal
Chapter 30 - History
Chapter 31 - Trust
Chapter 32 - Fate
Chapter 33 - Past
Chapter 34 - Ingradia
Chapter 35 - Ambush
Chapter 36 - Requiem
Chapter 37 - Loyalty
Chapter 38 - Wanderer
Chapter 39 - Smoke
Chapter 40 - Confession
Chapter 41- Mirrors
Chapter 42 - Remembrance
Chapter 43 - Reina
Chapter 44 - Odi
Chapter 45 - Rift
Chapter 46 - Scout
Chapter 47 - Bookkeeper
Chapter 48 - Secrets
Chapter 49 - Soulcatcher
Chapter 50 - Everchanged
Chapter 51 - Torecaster
Chapter 52 - Pressure
Chapter 53 - Tidal
Chapter 54 - Sentinel
Chapter 55 - August
Chapter 56 - Potential
Chapter 57 - Familiarity
Chapter 58 - Defiance
Chapter 59 - Arbiter
Chapter 60 - Aidari
Chapter 61 - Adrift
Chapter 62 - Inheritance
Chapter 63 - Pull
Chapter 64 - Purpose

Chapter 26 - Stormheld

1.2K 140 163
Por CaptainSarcastic101

Not one, single noble gave a decent score for Charmer.

As the placards of one's and zeros slammed onto the packed dirt in front of her, Nivara couldn't help but feel a rush of accomplishment. Finally, Finally they were listening. It was by no means a starting point but it was something.

Amongst the quiet protest, the Soundbooms did their job diligently although a few muttered grumbles about disorganisation and laziness didn't go unheard by the dragons booming voices.

Only a single dragon began to cry.

Flitter flopped defeatedly to the ground, her rigid frame now slack as tears streamed down onto her scales. Nivara's heart hurt for the little dragon, feeling a pang of guilt for saying those hurtful things towards her. Her Agar however turned away from the Fleetfoot dragon, pacing furiously as she tried to process all that had happened in her head.

Nivara couldn't watch anymore.

While Charmer was busy attempting to convince the Soundboom's of foul play on their Regents 'biased assessment,' Nivara did what any decent Traited should do and made her way over to the upset Flitter. She hunched down on her knees, attempted to keep her balance and waited until the Fleetfoot noticed her.

"C-come to yell at me some more?" The dragon said between gulps of air, unable to stop her sadness from overflowing.

Nivara gave her a sad smile before pulling down her hood. She had heard the rumours of partner coercion many times from her own attempts to quell such nonsense. This time would not be any different. She would not allow such accusations to be made again, whether it included her or not. Once was more than enough.

"Of course not. I haven't finished my final report yet. I decide the rank, remember?" Nivara said, softly.

"Oh. I guess we're unranked then."

Nivara winced at the severity of her tone. Flitter had already given up despite trying so hard to hold her Agar back. The Fleetfoot dragon shifted her weight from side to side, nervous as she tried to stay true to her partner while trusting Nivara and her position.

"I tried...I tried to tell Charmie it was a bad idea but she told me I'd disappoint everyone if I didn't do it. But I was scared. I was really scared of that big demon thing and I couldn't let it hurt her. Not again." Flitter rambled, scuffing her claws against the sawdust.

The despair in the Fleetfoot dragons' voice was unmistakably similar to another dragon she had recently befriended. Ripple and Flitter only wanted to do what was best for their Agar, going as far as to blindly trust them no matter the consequences. Trust was a two way thing. Without it, Nivara would not be where she was today without the blatant trust of others. She noted the dragons words, deciding that now wasn't the time for asking about when Charmer was hurt before, despite being curious.

"I think you did wonderfully, Flitter. I just think you both have a lot of things to improve on. If you'll allow it, may I escort you over so I can explain some more?" Nivara said, kindly offering her arm to a distressed dragon.

Flitter let out a confused grumble of disapproval, sniffing as she tried to ignore her Agars antics with fruitless attempts at riling the crowd and the representatives in her favour.

"Promise you won't yell?" She said at last, startling Nivara with her sudden timidness.

"I promise I won't yell this time. I just get a wee bit nervous when speaking to lots of people and I can't really control my voice that well." Nivara admitted, her Caldorian accent slipping out just to heighten her embarrassment further.

Nivara had her hand over her chest in promise, Flitter's giggles settling her rapid heartbeat just a touch.

"Like a Soundboom! They said a bunch of rude stuff earlier. It was funny."

Nivara smiled gratefully, laughing politely at the memory of such brash comments made about such a young, naive girl.

"Yeah, it was. I actually thought you were really brave to fight off the Overtaken. That Blast Breath was amazing." She complimented with ease, watching the dragons eyes light up with delight.

"Really? You think so?"

Nivara nodded, trying to look as impressed as she could for the little dragons sake, noting how little confidence she had in herself. Flitter took a moment to think while Nivara felt her legs start to buckle, struggling to stay on her hunches for much longer.

"Well...I guess if you don't yell, no one up there will hear you. I'll let you announce your verdict if I'm allowed to come with you." Flitter exclaimed matter of factly.

Nivara fought the urge to grin, treating it as a sombre business deal.

"Deal."

The Mist Maiden held out a hand as Flitter took a moment to stare at it before realising and offered her claw. Flitter helped her Regent up before resizing and scampering onto Nivara's shoulder. She felt a pang of happiness, sighing as she was reminded of a confort she never knew she needed until now. Reality slammed into her chest as an unfamiliar movement shocked her system, finally understanding that it wasn't Kaldra resting on her shoulder.

With a heavy heart she headed over to the table, leaned her back against it and raised her hand to silence the crowd. The Soundboom's scattered at once, leaving a red faced Charmer still steaming as the dragons returned to their stations atop their pedestals. Dragons chosen to broadcast flew up to various points in the arena as a disgruntled Charmer finally noticed her missing Agar sitting beside her sworn enemy.

Nivara didn't have time to spend on petty outrage.

"Since I am the one who gives the overall ranking, I truly sympathise with my fellow representatives. I value your input greatly as it is you who decide whether or not to allow these fledgling Traited the chance to become one of your ranks. Thank you for your continued support." She began, slightly peeved she had to quell the chaos by buttering up a flock of idiotic sheep.

Nivara could feel the young Glass Traited glare daggers at her, its molten hot intention causing nothing more than a mild irritation to her conscience. It was her own fault for only thinking of herself. She had tried to reason with Charmer but some people just couldn't be reasoned with.

"Honestly, Charmer? I have half a mind to disqualify you for that stunt you pulled in the entranceway. You willingly put your fellow partner, Traited and other competitors at risk for a half baked Transference that could have done you more harm than good."

The young girl grit her teeth, desperate to snap right back at her and snatch her Agar off her shoulder but Nivara stood firm against the opposing force of power. Charmer's Trait began to cause her keychain to rattle ominously, the beads of glass clinking together at a rapid pace, chipping away at its fragile core along with the Svalbardians patience.

Flitter growled at once, a low, menacing snarl as Charmer jolted in surprise, her Trait halting its assault on their ears immediately. Nivara was stunned by the sudden discipline of the Fleetfoot dragon, her Agar much more morose and impassive than her angrier reactions towards every other situation.

Normally someone with a rare Trait like glass used to be classified as Dual Traited, having the mixed abilities of two of the seven Core Traits. Couples who intended to have a child were well warned in advance but not all could receive treatment deep within deserts or hidden within backwater slums.

But those who had been classed as Dual Traited years ago were slowly becoming integrated into the system be it Ash, Steam, Mist, Glass or Smoke. Even more intellectual Traited like Analysts, Predictors or even Luck Traits were given a chance to truly understand what they could do with like minded others. The endless interchanging of Trait rules and regulations could not be stopped regardless of how much knowledge you consumed. Nivara knew that all too well.

"But...you and your Agar showed great promise and it cannot be denied that you did pass my test. The ability to know when you need help is a difficult one to overcome and your Agar did so admirably. Your Trait has the potential to be great, greater than what you showed here today." Nivara continued, hesitantly at first but much more sure of herself as her thoughts cohesively came together.

"As such, my verdict for Charmer Bardith is to allow her the Second Rank of Challenger."

The crowd's reaction was unmistakable. Hollers of surprise and confusion from the nobles were drowned out by the boos of shock and outrage that an upstart Traited like Charmer had gained the same rank as the current favourite Prime. He had wowed the crowd with his Trait and his Agars earnest and steadfast nature had made an example on what a noble should be. Despite there being only three contestants so far.

Charmer had a very similar reaction towards the anger of the people. Her Trait exploded in a firework of broken glass, her prized keychain now broken as the beads blasted off on their own accord. Nivara watched with fear as the broken shards hovered in the air, heating the air with unimaginable force.

"You gave me the same wretched rank as that bumbling cheater of an Earth Traited! Are you blind?"

"Charmer, you need to calm down-" Flitter begged, causing the Mist Maiden to let out a deep breath of frustration.

Damn it to Hellgrind. That was the last thing any Traited wanted to hear. Nivara stayed silent, desperately trying to conjure enough mist to protect her from the searing onslaught of Charmer's Trait. The last thing she wanted was to scrape burning glass off her skin or have shards of glass dug out of her flesh.

"Calm down? That defect of an Agar did nothing compared to you and I, Flitter. Tahir doesn't deserve such a stupid partner!"

Nivara held her breath as she watched for the slightest movement, her eyes unblinking and desperate. Trait be damned, she had to stop her. With a flick of her wrist the Mist Maiden closed her eyes and focused her coils around the young girls form, attempting to quell her shaking hands. Soporific mist surrounded Charmer in a drowsy haze as she fought the urge to sleep but Nivara couldn't hold it for long. Her Trait wouldn't let her.

Nivara's fingers twitched at the last second and a scream echoed around the arena. But it wasn't hers. Charmer had attacked her own Agar in a jealous rage of emotion, determined to reclaim her partner with whatever means necessary.

Nivara let go instantly, rushing towards a helpless Flitter pinned to the table by spheres of molten hot glass. Her Trait unravelled instantly, freeing Charmer from the coils of sleep as the Mist Maiden struggled to pry off the glass burning into the young dragons scales.

She was filled with rage at the callous use of Trait, her ice causing the table to turn brittle with frost. It numbed her hands, the burns becoming nothing more than a mild ignorance as Fliiter finally broke free from her own Agars Trait. Charmer had used her temporary contract to harm her partner in the worst way. She had used the Mist Maiden's empathy to force her to act on an Agar that wasn't hers.

"How dare you. How dare you attack her after I gave you your ranking despite everything. I should have just failed you!" Nivara snapped, no longer caring what people thought of her after such a disregard for the sanctity of life.

She cared about saving lives however she could and there was no exception to that rule. But Charmer was certainly pushing the limits of her resolve. She had started a pointless argument, injured several people and partners along with her own and constantly berated every ounce of common sense known to Traited kind and still kept going.

"What's it to you? She's not your Agar so why were you looking out for her, huh? Flitter is perfectly capable of sorting out her own problems. You didn't have to go over to her for just some silly tantrum."

The Mist Maiden ignored her, clinging to the injured dragon tightly, crumpling to the ground in a burst of exhaustion. Tears threatened to resurface but she couldn't place which emotion was causing it. Sorrow. Anger. Fear. Fury. It didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was protecting this dragon from such a callous Traited.

"That may be so. But that doesn't mean she isn't deserving of help. Neither does she deserve to be punished for accepting it."

Nivara gently pulled off her cloak and wrapped it around the severely injured dragon, wordlessly coaxing her ebbing Trait towards her and heal the Fleetfoot as much as she could. Flitter winced in pain as the cool touch of her hands numbed the welts for a little while but as Nivara gently felt the young dragons ribs she noticed a few more burns than there should have been. Old burns.

"What did you do to her?" Nivara demanded, gently removing her Everchange cloak from the feeble Fleetfoot.

Her Trait spiked alongside her righteous anger, an unyielding wave of ice tinged mist clouded the two in a sea of Nivara's own creation. The crowd was obscured from view, silenced by the immense power of a Regent, their voices muffled by the wall of buffeting mist Trait. The indigo haze of Nivara's Trait flashed a dark blue only to blaze a bright orange, melding together like a summer sunset.

"I don't know what you're talking about, you crazy Mist Maiden! What is this Trait? What did you do?"

Nivara didn't answer and felt for a pulse, erratic but faint. A strange combination for a dragon but if she had to make a guess, a Fire Traited had done more damage internally than she had initially realised. The young dragons wounds were covered in a spine chilling frost as mist circled her in a cloud of protection that no glass could penetrate. But she needed help.

Suddenly, an orange glow, bright and unfamiliar settled around her like candle light, an unknown Trait seemingly intertwined with the softly moulded mist and the harsh, brittle cold of the ice. For the first time since facing the Overtaken, Charmer looked scared not just for herself but for what had been done to her Agar.

"What in the Laia is going on? I thought you were out of Trait! How is this even possible?"

Nivara clicked her tongue, noting her poor choice of words. Only the Traited knew when they were running low, exhaustion seeping in depended on stamina and strength of will. Fortunately she had both but not for very long.

"What I can do is none of your concern. But I am curious, how much did Domino tell you about me?" She replied casually, as if what she asked had no consequences whatsoever.

Charmer gasped, shaking either from the cold or at how easily Nivara had confronted her. Her gaze fell upon the bandstand full of people seemingly suspended in animation, barely moving half the speed and sound they did before. Smiling gratefully, the Mist Maiden counted the seconds in her head before the welcoming warmth descended on them. She could do a lot with the ten minutes she had been graciously given. Nivara hoped it would be worth it.

"I don't know what-" she began hesitantly, only to be shut down with a glare.

Nivara was unamused. Charmer had been far more intimidating when she had a crowd to perform to. Now she was all alone and absolutely terrified. Not even her speedy Agar could save her from her vast and versatile mist Trait. Nor the wrath of a Timekeepers hold on her Trait.

"Don't lie to me. I know it was you who spiked my drink. Well, to be more specific...I know you let Domino torture Flitter until she did. No dragon alive is quicker than a Fleetfoot. You said so yourself."

Charmer winced at the tone of Nivara's voice, harsh and accusing yet mocking while still being persuasive. Her eyes clenched, hating being reminded of what had happened to her dragon and what she had to willingly witness. Nivara latched onto her insecurities with both hands and allowed her mist to weave around her, the easiest way to gently gather memories.

"You're lying! Svalbard will know about the Silvertongue and-"

"I'm a healer, Charmer. Not an idiot."

Nivara knew from her silence that Charmer's game had just been shut down. It was an obvious strategy: blame someone else before she herself could be blamed.

"I know how long Silvertongue lasts. For me, even less so. But I kept drinking that foul thing to please your leader while your plan went ahead as scheduled. Such a shame Prime got a higher rank than you intended." Nivara said, knowing full well why he had gotten such a high score.

She had seen the endless possibilities in the Storm Key and had chosen her tactics accordingly. The visions she had seen with Kaldra were the ultimate goal she was aiming for, the group of Traited she needed to gather together. The problem was, the path to the eventuality she needed was paved with distractions and challenges, especially when a Predictor Trait like Ethros was involved. A Stormkeeper and Timekeeper could only do so much to stop the one who started it all.

"That bumbling idiot was supposed to scrape through, not overturn the whole arena! I was supposed to succeed, not him. He did something to his grimoire, I don't know what but I had to, I had to...." Charmer trailed off, showing vulnerability for the very first time as she put her head over her hands.

Nivara pondered over those words, remembering her own curiosity over such a strange grimoire. Prime had an interchangeable grimoire, a smooth coppery surface had become a maze of complex routes with the flick of a switch. If Charmer was allied with him but she hadn't seen his grimoire as being normal? Then there was something else going on than she initially feared.

"Those deep indentations on Flitter are a few days old, yes? Or have your little insurgence group been planning this longer than I thought?"

Nivara watched how the Glass Traited twisted her features into one of pure disgust, her head now raised in indignation at such an accusation. Of course they had planned this longer than a few days. It was easy to see the pattern of distractions when the Storm Key could lay them out so cleanly for her. Everything was connected. This was just another test to overcome.

"I don't know what you're talking about. The nobles will have your head for accusing me of this. I'll make sure of it! My aunt-"

"Your aunt has no idea this conversation is taking place. None of the nobles do."

The Mist Maidens Trait sifted through Charmer's memories using threads of her unsuspecting Trait. All her failures, her promises and her greatest achievements flitted by to find the correct memories to project on her wall of guilt, regret and agony. Her mist had done so countless times with others before her but now it was far stronger with the help of her superior.

A Memory Weave needed memories after all and she was an expert at using her tendrils to gather them. It was a shame the Excelliars were never taught how to counteract such a thing but then again, feeding mist into someone's shadow could be considered as a necromantic solution.

"Not even Chimera themselves knows what they are dealing with but they still insist on letting children do their dirty work." Nivara explained, getting bored of the repetitive act of Charmer's fake obliviousness.

With her arms folded, she waited patiently as the young girl processed what she had heard. Regardless of the Silvertongue, Nivara knew that Trait couldn't lie. The Mist Maiden searched every inch of her mist for her comrade, longing to see someone familiar against this endless game of cat and mouse. It had been years since they had met face to face and Nivara knew every reason why but still. She felt all alone without Kaldra by her side.

"How? No Trait alive can slow down time. That's impossible!"

Nivara smiled, buying time just to wait and know how much she was allowed to explain even within such a densely packed arena. Shaking her head once in response, Nivara felt for the storm between her fingertips and received a flare of confirmation in reply. Everything was agreed.

"I didn't use my Trait. I asked for help from a friend to stop time entirely. Just for a few minutes."

Charmer looked as if someone had slapped her in the face without realising it, her dazed expression causing her to frantically look round for any signs of such a thing. There was only a haze of indigo surrounding them from all sides in an endless interchanging fog of images. It was a towering structure which blocked out almost all light except for the burnt orange glaze ebbing in the middle like a dimming sun.

"That's insane." Charmer said incredulously, noting how they were alone despite the mass of mixing Trait.

Mist and sun. Purple and orange. Clashing colours and Traits but still working in harmony even now. Even if Charmer could somehow sense the other Traited nearby, there was no way to locate them against the mass of the Mist Maiden's power. It was like they weren't even here.

Nivara decided to humour her, parting her mist just enough to reveal the astounding power of her fellow Traited. A phoenix remained embedded in the blueish backdrop like a glowing sigil of hope etching into their minds. Charmer winced at the sight and strength of such a flame, barely able to stand the sight of it. The Mist Maiden knew she wouldn't recognise it, safely covering it in a curtain of her own making once again.

"This isn't my doing but I was the one who accidentally summoned her with my outburst. Her Creatist Trait truly is wonderful, isn't it?" She said sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head bashfully like a child who had been caught doing something they shouldn't.

"A Creatist did this? Surely they'd have to be nearby to create something that detailed with their flame. It's powerful enough to send all of Chimera running!"

Nivara scoffed at her backhanded compliment, knowing full well why she wanted to know such a thing. Despite being allied with Domino, there was only one reason why any Svalbardian promised to follow their orders. They were terrified of them.

"Not quite. She isn't an easy Fire Traited to convince these days but you'd need more than a few flattering words to get a Timekeeper on your side. Thankfully, I know better than that." Nivara said, attempting to quell the ideas of using such a power for a feeble rebellion.

"Well, Creatists aren't exactly known for their power levels. Making one teeny creature each isn't exactly worth the effort but I've never seen a creature like that before. What is it?" Charmer asked, changing her tactics to sound disinterested instead.

Nivara was surprised she'd never seen one before, considering they reside mostly in her birthplace of Nocturus. But they were reclusive, only ever appearing once a decade to roost on the Ironthorn trees as a resting place to reform a new with the rising sun. But this particular phoenix wasn't made from a Timekeeper's Trait like the rest of her creations. It was born from it.

"He is a Flarestorm phoenix. They are the great firebird of creation, rebirth and restoration. He only responds to the Timekeeper's call and is about as quick tempered as the woman who summoned him." Nivara said, rolling her eyes at the overgrown chicken who flared in indignation.

Charmer couldn't help but chuckle, still wary of its beady eyes glaring at her from within the cocoon of interchanging Trait. Nivara raised her eyebrow, sighing as she noticed how regretfully she had to focus on the topic at hand.

"Then again, neither of us like seeing children attempting an adult's game. Especially one with such high stakes. No wonder our anger gets the better of us when you nobles intervene."

Nivara cruel statement cut like glass, infuriating the young Traited like never before. Charmer knew she was not just a child. She was a proud member of the Svalbardian Ice Hounds of Neridia, the Silent Silverwings of the Western Regions and the next in line to uphold her aunts legacy. She couldn't be bargianed with by such a fantastical idea of Traits being capable of such feats anymore.

"You're no different, you Caldorian scum! You think Scout got his spying skills from that crackpot gang he used to be in? No. He did all of that sneaking around because of you." Charmer bit back, infuriated by such a biased retort.

"I know."

Nivara's reply was simple and honest as she solemnly admitted her faults regardless of whether Charmer believed her or not.

"I gave him the choice to leave when I sent him that letter about what you were planning. He knows the risks. He has his own Agar to keep him on the right path. But you Charmer, act as if you have no one."

The young Glass Traited laughed coldly, Nivara's attempts to dissuade her from her path shatter in vain.

"So what? You're giving me a choice? To do what, pledge my loyalty to a bunch of liars, cheaters and power hungry fools with you as its leader? I'd rather die than submit to you." Charmer snarled, the shards of glass embedded in her Agar beginning to throb.

Nivara's eyes narrowed, sweeping her hand over the deadly pinpricks of glass within the scales of the restlessly sleeping Flitter. She groaned quietly as Nivara's ice threaded them out like glittering icicles and flung them back away from Charmer. Straightening her cloak with ease, she allowed the shards to skitter off her cloak harmlessly before melding into her mist away from any harmful usage. Practicing on Kaldra had been terrifying but useful to get ahold of her precision healing once more.

"I'm giving you a choice to change your fate. Right now, you only have one option. Whether you fight me or challenge me, you will use that faulty Transference and slaughter hundreds. Unless you stop and think."

Charmer's eyes went wide, the Regent of Opalis' tone was harsh and cold like the brittle storm she had conjured from clouds of mist. It was a maelstrom of truth and pain carved from experience and understanding.

"How...how do you know this? You aren't a Predictor Traited. You're a...you're a-"

The Memory Weave changed to a darker haze of blue, a dark contrast to the hopeful overcast of the sun. It showed a spider web of mist, reflecting the future of endless, shearing glass scattering thousands of bleeding Traited and dragons alike in a tornado of Trait, an endless cycle of death and destruction.

"Storm Traited. I'm a Storm Traited."

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

176 28 12
Storms tended to bring change. Solving Neridia's first ever murder case wasn't exactly what Nemera had in mind. The overworked yet semi-retired bar...
20.9K 3.1K 70
[Completed] The Royal Guard of the Empire has faithfully served Byzantia for nearly three centuries now. Hand picked from foreign lands, these guards...
1.4K 94 21
All Autumn has ever wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life, but there always seems to be something that gets in her way. Her life has been alw...
6.5K 359 35
*** fantasy version.*** No one comes looking for a dead girl, as long as she stays dead. • • • Having finally escaped the vicious hands of the lif...