Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 48

20 1 1
By SkyAngel_

"If you are to learn our traditions, then you must look like us, dress like us, eat like us, and act like us." Yetska says as her warriors, Delia, and Heswyn traverse the jungle.

Delia wipes beads of sweat from her face with her arm, only to then push a piece of hair that's sticking to her face behind her ear.  The humidity is doing crazy things to her hair.  It's sticking everywhere, but she's happy it isn't as bad as Heswyn's.

Delia casts Heswyn a sidelong glance.  The librarian's curly red hair is a ball of static electricity.  She watches as Heswyn angrily attempts to retie her hair, but still chunks cling to her neck and face. 

"Do you understand?"  Yetska snaps sharply.

Delia bobs her head, even though she has no idea what the Amazon just said. 

"Good, now we are arriving at our current settlement. You will be introduced to some of our cultures and ways tonight, but it is tomorrow that we begin teaching you both."

Suddenly, Delia is struck with a brilliant idea that causes a grin to stretch across her features. 

If Yetska agrees, then this will surely shorten our stay in Paridia!

"Excuse me, Yetska."  Delia begins.  "I have an idea that will benefit us both."

Yetska raises a quizzical brow.  "Go on, young warrior."

Young warrior.  Delia inwardly muses.  That's one title I've never been called before.  Usually it is Writer Delia, Scribe, and occasionally shrew.

"My thoughts are that Heswyn and I can split the learning in half. She can learn some things while I learn other things. This will not only shorten our stay, but allow us to not be overwhelmed with our studies." Delia says.

"Yes!" Heswyn agrees enthusiastically. "Back in Lit I am a scholar and keeper of the great library, so I can learn all about your culture. With that information, I can write out a field guide to cultures in Paridia in the blank book I brought. This will be a great chance to further the world's knowledge on your unique culture."
Heswyn explains.

"During this, Delia can learn of your fighting techniques and hunting tactics. Then, she'll tell me what she's learned and I'll add it to the book." Heswyn says. "This will be good, since I'm at the age that my stamina is lower. I'll leave the physical things to Delia, since she is younger and has more use for such things in her adventuring."

Delia can practically see the inspiration zipping through Heswyn like a lightning strike. "If you'll allow this, then we can learn many things over the course of a short time. Not to mention," She adds, "you don't have to tell us about all your culture in this short time either because I can return to Paridia and continue learning later on. I've always been curious about your way of things and this will give me the chance to truly learn things first hand."

Yetska doesn't answer for a long time. It is only when their settlement comes into view when she turns to the two. "I agree to this." She says at last. "As long as you, librarian, promise to return to Paridia and continue to learn."

"I promise." Heswyn says, seriously.

Yetska nods, thinking for a moment. "Then, I'll allow you both to stay in Paridia and learn as much as you can over the course of two days. Later the librarian must return to complete her book on our culture."

Two days! That isn't long at all! At least the Amazons's are willing to be civilized and understanding about it all.

"How long typically would it take for a woman to learn completely about your people?" Delia inquires.

"Months." Yetska answers simply. "But since you both have decided to split the learning and the librarian has promised to return and continue her learning, I am willing to cut down the time."

"What the if the librarian is lying?"  Kreen asks, mistrust flashing in her eyes.

Yetska studies Heswyn in such a way that even Delia shudders though her eyes are not on her.  "Then we will know that foreign women, like the men are not to be trusted."

Delia's eyes widen as she realizes Yetska's implication.

"Yes."  Yetska says, seeing the writer's horrified expression.  "If the librarian lies, then all foreigners that stumble across our island will be deemed untrustworthy and personally dealt with using the pointed end of my spear."

With that heavy threat weighing upon them, they enter the settlement.

"These are our newest students." Yetska announces to everyone within earshot. "Meet the librarian, Heswyn and the warrior, Cordelia. I trust that you'll all treat them as if they were born and raised in Paridia. I sense great promise in these two."

All Paridians within view --both men and women-- crowd around Delia and Heswyn. Much to Delia's surprise they each greet them with warm embraces and call them, "sister."

The last one to greet them is Yetska, herself.  She clasps Heswyn and Delia to her chest and when she pulls away there's a small smile on her face.  "Now that you have officially entered our home, you are no longer foreigners to be looked at with misgiving, but sisters and family to us all."  Yetska turns to her people.  "A grand meal shall take place in order to welcome our newest sisters!"

Delia's jaw nearly drops.  Earlier the Amazons --especially Yetska-- had appeared to be hostile and intimidating, but now she doesn't know what to think of them.

"How interesting."  Heswyn says, mirroring Delia's thoughts.

"Indeed."

〰〰〰

Light brush strokes tickle Delia's nose as the Paridian man in front of her paints her face for tonight's special occasion, the meal that is to welcome them.

The man --Seq-- dips his brush into one of the many bowls of paint arrayed in front of him and then lightly brushes some of the paint on to Delia's skin.

"Done." He announces, setting his brush aside.

Out of instinct, Delia raises her hand to touch her face, but Seq quickly takes her hand in his before she is able.

"Best not to smudge the paint, sister." He says with a kindly smile. 

Delia politely takes her hand out of his.  "If you don't mind me asking, how does it feel to be seen as less than women?"

Seq's brow crumples and Delia can tell that she's upset the kindly man.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of asked."  Delia says quickly.

Seq shakes his head.  "It is fine, I will answer your question."  He pauses for a moment, seeming as if he is collecting his thoughts.  "I assume it feels..."  his dark eyes meet with hers, "the same way it does for you when you are in the continent."

"I-". Delia's words cut off as her thoughts run rapid through her head. 

"I suppose it feels frustrating, knowing you can do more, be more than you already are but not being allowed to stretch out and truly see what you're made of."

Seq's smile is a sad one.  "Yes, that's how it feels."

They share a deep look that is quickly interrupted by Heswyn shoving into the tent.  "Look at the artistry on our faces, Delia!"

Curiosity piqued, Delia waves a goodbye to the interesting man and follows Heswyn to the clear, freshwater lake that isn't far from the settlement. 

When Delia looks into the lake's mirror-like surface, she hardly recognizes herself.

I almost look like an Amazon.

She wears their traditional tunic made from a special plant with waterproof leaves. As a fabric, it is stretchy and breathable. Both the men and women wear it cinched with a braided belt at the waist. Her feet are left bare, which is a strange feeling for a girl who always wears sturdy boots.

However, it is her face that catches her breath.

Delia's features are painted in a display of red, oranges, blues, white and black.  Her stormy grey eyes are accentuated the most along with her forehead where her bangs had been pinned back to allow more of her face to be used as a canvas.  The delicate heart shaped slopes of her upper lip had been painted a light blue and the slope of her lower lip the color black.

"This is incredible."  Delia whispers.

"That it is."  Heswyn voices her agreement. 

The librarian's own face, neck, and collarbones had been painted in tones of red, orange, and green which contrasts and blends with her pale freckled skin and fiery red hair.

"If only our skin was much darker and our hair brown, we'd blend right in."  Heswyn says.

Delia nods, still entranced with the strange face that peers back at her from the water.

"We should be going, I'm not yet familiar with the Paridian culture, but I'm fairly certain it will be seen as rude if we're late to our own welcoming meal." Heswyn states.

Delia laughs lightly and the two go back to the settlement, as not to be late.

The night progresses on swift feet as Delia tries to take in everything in front of her.  Similar to the culture shock she received in Lit, Paridia offers her that same shock tenfold.  It is so strange to her to see the gender standard's completely switched.  The women catch the food, the men make it.  The women train as warriors and the men take care of the household. 

The only similarities to what Delia is used to is that the men still do a lot of the heavy lifting and construction and the women are still the primal caregivers to their young children.  However, when the children get older the women are sent back to work as Amazon warriors and the men take over as caregivers.

Completely upside-down.  Delia thinks as she watches the men make polite conversation while there wives are allowed to speak jovially.

As Delia continues her observation throughout the night, she finds that she doesn't like what is happening in Paridia anymore than she does back in Pik and Lithko.

Why can't there be equality like there is in Lanthos?  Why does one gender always have to be the oppressed?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 450 59
~The Elves lost their Magic. The Princess is a Dragon. The Halfling is a Shifter. And Witches rule the Realm.~ Liss' clan lives in a world of seclusi...
35 15 15
!Original story and original characters! An assassin, Verena Cliffwood, is hired by the king to kill a man, Lucian Bryonhill. She takes the job for a...
303 16 8
Adonis, the Helenyan prince, carries an unsettling truth: everyone has a 'poison', a flaw of some sort, that corrupts their soul and leads them to ru...
127 8 6
When the land of Verdun has lost all sense of hope, a warrior princess, Kara, and her charismatic companion, Darnel, run away in search of the infamo...