The Boss [LGBT]

By katieshakespeare

Meet Emerson Lane. A twenty-two-year-old college drop-out working on the 23rd floor of the most successful bu... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Epilogue.
Available on Amazon
The Boss & The Assistant
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter #2
Children of the Boss [Sequel]

Chapter 24

53.3K 2.1K 299
By katieshakespeare

 I woke up without a headache thankfully, but the obnoxious alarm didn't help much. I forgot I told my boss I'd come in Saturday to help for a few hours. I turned off my alarm and clicked off the TV. I only got about five hours of sleep, so I was incredibly groggy. I skipped the shower and just put on some clothes and deodorant. The quicker I got to work then the quicker I could finish my tasks, come back home, and sleep. I grabbed my wallet and went downstairs and next door to the office. Thank god I lived so close.

I went into the office and found some guy randomly sitting on the couch and watching Daft Punk's Interstella 5555. I casually walked over to my desk and sat down in my chair. The guy didn't notice me, being too enthralled into the wonderful music video movie. That's when I realized who he was. He was Jeremy Dehart. He had been a junior when I was a freshman. He had been the golden boy. I always tried to avoid him because he reminded me of Kenneth. They even looked similar. Messy brown hair, big green eyes. He had definitely matured physically and was looking great. I looked away from him, though. He was just too similar. He was so similar, in fact, that he even came out as gay. He basically lived the life that Kenneth would have lived if he were alive. They were both gay and great athletes. Jeremy went on to be a successful football player in college, but he wanted to be a lawyer and so got a degree in that and was making lots of money. He was friends with Allan, and so that's why he was there.

"Morning Emerson," Mr. Shreve greeted, coming in from his office with Allan.

"Morning," I replied.

He handed some simple paperwork and I got started on it. He went back into his office and Allan plopped onto the couch with Jeremy.

"Em this is Jeremy. You remember him?" Allan asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Jeremy you remember Em right?"

Jeremy finally looked up at me, actually realizing I was there. "Oh yeah. I remember you." He sat up finally and stretched. "You worked for Lafayette Jeff right?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"That's who you worked for? Damn, why'd he fire you?" Allan asked.

"It wasn't a firing. It was just a one year job, but yeah. I worked for him."

"That's awesome. He's hot," Jeremy said.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

"People say he's gay. Did he ever come onto you."

Ha. "No. He is incredibly gorgeous, but no."

"Allan!" Mr. Shreve called.

"Coming Dad!" Allan replied, standing up and heading into the office.

"I totally forgot you were gay," Jeremy said.

I shrugged. "Been gay forever. I didn't realize it until I was, like, twelve."

"I have always known I liked boys. Most gay guys I know figured it out when they were around twelve, but some knew there was something different about them as kids. Like some of them didn't look at girls, but they didn't really look at boys either. I looked at boys when I was a kid. I tried to kiss almost every guy out there when I was a kid. It was hilarious."

"When did you come out?" I found myself asking. Being gay has its perks. It makes way for a nice conversation.

"When I was twenty-one, miles away from my parents. I was in college."

"What did they think?'

"They didn't like it, but they weren't going to disown me or anything. What about you?"

"I had to come out because they thought I was doing drugs, so I told them I was gay and that's why I was going in through doors in alleys. I was going to gay clubs."

He laughed, and he had a really nice laugh actually. "That's cute," he said. What's cute? Me? My story? Shoot. I forgot how awkward I am... "Didn't the majority of people know you were gay before you came out, though?"

"I don't know."

"Oh, well they use to call you Emma or Emily so I'm assuming they thought so."

"They called me that?"

He tried to suppress a smile. "Oh. You didn't know that?"

"No!"

"Well yeah...they did."

"That' great to know," I grumbled.

He laughed again. He laughs almost as much as I do. "Hey how long have you worked here?" he asked out of the blue.

"Like, a few weeks."

"Oh. Cool. I'm going to be Allan's partner."

"Doesn't he have a girlfriend?"

He laughed hysterically. "Not that type of partner! As in business partners. We're both lawyers, you know?"

"Oh!" I burst into laughter as well, covering my face in humility.

"God, you know he has a girlfriend!"

"Well when I hear partner that's what I think of."

"No point in being a partner when you can just get married."

"Whatever. Don't laugh at me," I said.

"You're a riot, though."

I rolled my eyes, but had a smile on my face still.

"Hey what time do you get off?" he asked.

"Um, I can leave once this paperwork is done. Shouldn't take me more than an hour."

"Cool. You wanna grab some breakfast after?"

A part of me really didn't want to go. I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to go on any form of a date with a guy, and so I didn't want to lead him on. Though I honestly didn't have any reason to not go. Nothing horrible would happen. It was just breakfast. "Uh, sure," I replied.

He flashed me a smile, saying, "Great. I'll stop distracting you so you can finish your work now." He lied back down, getting distracted by his music.

I smiled a little as I continued with my work. It didn't mean it was a date. Just a friendly breakfast. We're just going to catch up. That's all. I mean, that's the way I'm seeing it. He might see it differently, but that doesn't mean I have to. But then again...what's the harm of going on a date? It doesn't mean anything is going to happen. Baby steps, right? Oh hell if I know. But in the end I just felt like getting breakfast with Jeremy would be good for me. I'm not sure how it would be, but surely there could be no harm in doing so.

I finished my work quickly and Jeremy and I left. We just went around the town square to a small café. I knew it was a date because before I even got my wallet out he continued with his order and paid. So yes. It was a date, and I wasn't sure what to think of it. I wanted to text Alisha and ask her for advice, but I couldn't considering I didn't want to be rude - but also because I forgot my phone. We sat down in the back and waited for the food to arrive, me being awkward like usual. I mean, things weren't awkward, but I just felt awkward. He was casual.

"So what have you been up to exactly?" he asked.

"Nothing really. I've just been working."

He nodded. "What did you do after high school?"

"I went to college," I said. "I got a job working for Lafayette Jeff's company, too, and that paid extremely well. I dropped out of college and was able to afford an apartment in the city. Though I then got promoted at the job and was doing really well but my position was no longer needed. I lived with my parents for a few weeks and then moved into the apartment by the office and got a job there." I shrugged. "Nothing much. What about you?"

"Well, I went to college. Went to more school, and became a lawyer. That's it."

I chuckled. "Nothing more?"

"Essentially no. I did fun, interesting things in between that time, but basically that's all. I studied abroad. I've been to Italy and Spain and the UK. I've partied a lot. I was in a fraternity. I was a slut for a while."

"Only for a while."

He smirked. "Yes. Once I graduated college I dated and had some nice, serious relationships."

"I only had one a little while ago."

"I keep forgetting you're pretty young. I feel like you're older."

"That's a first. Most always assume I'm younger."

"I don't know. You look older."

Maybe it's because I was heartbroken and that ultimately made me appear older in a sense. It could be in my eyes. I shrugged. "I still act kind of childish."

He smiled. "I believe that."

Even though Jeremy reminded me of Kenneth, talking to him made him seem different. Kenneth had always been quiet and much more of a listener, which was good for me because I talked all the time. He hadn't been shy, it's just he didn't feel the need to talk. He once told me he wanted to listen to people because he wanted to help them with their problems. Little did any of us know that someone should've listened to him and helped him with his problems.

"Did you like me when we were in high school?" he asked once the food arrived.

"Uh...honestly, no," I responded.

He laughed. "I knew it. I was an ass back then."

He was an ass, and that's why I disliked him. I avoided him because he reminded me of Kenneth. "You were just like any other high school jock."

"Yeah, all high school assholes are in the closet."

"Is that why you were an ass?"

"Duh."

I laughed, enjoying this.

"Was I ever mean to you?" he asked.

"A few times, but mostly behind my back. Only once did you ever call me a fag."

"Sorry."

"It's okay...fag."

He laughed, leaning back in his chair. I couldn't help myself when I remembered Lafayette's laugh, it ringing through my ears.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Hm? Yeah," I said.

"You just zoned out there for a bit."

"Oh, sorry. Just thinking."

"About what?"

I sighed. No harm in telling him I guess. "I just got out of a bad relationship about a month ago. Exactly a month ago, actually."

He nodded in understanding. "Me, too."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but it was kind of a while ago. I really liked him, too. He was so nice and attractive. He was a few years older than me and a lot smarter than me, but he would act kind of childish in a cute way when we were together. He really liked to depend on me. Though one day, he just said he had to break up with me. He said it wasn't right for us to be together." He shrugged, and then a look of remembrance came over him. "You said you worked for Lafayette Jeff right?"

I nodded. Shit. He didn't make the connection that he's my ex did he?

"Yeah, my ex actually knew him."

I grimaced. "Who was it?"

"Micah Schumacher."

My jaw dropped. Micah Schumacher. The guy who basically put me up for a miserable life since the bet was his idea.

"I'm guessing you know him," Jeremy said.

I nodded again. "Yep. You said he was nice?"

"Oh yeah. He's incredibly rich and donates a lot of money. Not as much as Lafayette Jeff, but still a lot. He would always do the sweetest things for me, too, like show up at my work and bring me lunch. He was very caring." Hm. Maybe Micah was in on a bet to ruin someone's life too. Clearly he lied to Jeremy.

"Sorry that happened to you," I said.

"No, it's perfectly okay. Sorry about your break up, too."

I shrugged. "Oh well. We're on decent terms."

"That's good. Oh, and don't tell anyone about me being with Micahl. He's not out of the closet. I just realized I outed him. My bad."

"No big deal. I doubt I'd tell anyone. No one I know knows him except for people who know he's gay."

"Yeah," he sighed and then took a bite of his food. "So what have you been up to as of recently?"

"Nothing really. I've just been working and writing and spending time with my family. Not much."

He nodded and was about to say something, but then his phone made a little ding. "Sorry," he chuckled and was about to turn the phone off, but looked at the screen. "Oh."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well speak of the devil."

"Your ex?"

He nodded. "It says 'we need to talk.' Hm."

"You can call him if you want."

"No, I can do that later."

"Just call him."

He gave me a cheeky smile and called him. "Hey," he greeted. "What did you need to talk to me about...? What...? You mean you...No, it's okay just...Oh...That's...I know...So..." He smiled from ear to ear. "Wow...Oh my god...So you really..." His smiled turned into a shocked face. "Holy shit. Really...? Oh my god...Like fuck...That's crazy...Yeah, totally...Please do so...Alright...See you soon. Bye." He hung up and turned to me with a silly smile. "So...he wants to work things out."

I nodded, smiling. Well, at least someone's relationship could be salvaged.

"Do you mind...?"

"Not at all. I'm done with my food anyway." So it wasn't a date...

"Cool."

We both stood up and left the café, walking back around the square so I could go to my apartment and he could go back to the office where he parked. We said our goodbyes and then I went up to my apartment. I decided to take a nap because I was still super tired. I turned on the television and flipped it to CNN. I turned it down so I could just barely hear it and collapsed onto the couch. I grabbed the afghan and cozied on up, the heat in the room being shitty. I sighed and turned on my side, facing to the cushions. I kind of hated being alone, because I just thought of Lafayette so much. I couldn't help myself. I thought about all the memories we shared. He was just using me, and even though everything added up - a part of me didn't believe it. I just felt so loved by him. Even though I was over it, that didn't mean I didn't want to be with him still. I kept thinking of ways that it could be untrue, but things just added up. Why the hell would Micah Schumacher give away a billion dollars to him for any reason other than losing a bet? I would get really self-conscious sometimes, and so I would think that of course it was all a lie because he's way out of my league.

I threw the blanket off of me and sat up. I grabbed my phone off the table. I rolled my eyes because I had some missed calls and a bunch of text messages. This is what happens when I don't have my phone. If I don't respond to a text from someone in my family within a few minutes then they call me like five times and send me more text messages. That's why I'm always so worried. It's genetic. I ignored them for the time being and called Lafayette's office phone. I just had to talk to him. In person. Without his ugly-ass-piece-of-shit boyfriend. Unfortunately, he didn't answer.

I sighed and tossed my phone onto the couch. I stood up and decided to open up a bottle of champagne my aunt gave me. I made some mimosa and plopped back onto the couch. I looked at the ceiling fan and then to the carpet and then out the window. I was being pouty. I just felt like shit. To make matters worse, I was really needing some sex. The last time I had sex was last year. I finished my delicious drink and grabbed the remote. A movie should surely make my day better. I pressed the channel guide and scrolled through what was on. Lafayette's face appeared on the screen on the news and I rolled my eyes. He was always in the fucking news. I once read an article about him going to McDonald's. Though then they showed a reporter standing outside of a hospital. I clicked out of the guide menu and turned it up. The headline at the bottom read, "BREAKING NEWS: Lafayette Jeff shot four times and hospitalized." I jumped over the coffee table and ran towards the screen, turning it up even more.

"...insiders of Jeff have yet to give any response as to what the motives behind the shootings were," said a reporter. Fuck. They were already in the middle of the report. I ran to my laptop and went to read an article about what happened.

The article I found read:

"Lafayette Jeff was shot today on his birthday at 1:17 AM. The shooting was filmed by a hidden camera placed in Jeff's office. The shooter was a business associate of Jeff's, Rick Solanzki. Reasons as to why the shooting occurred are unknown. Jeff's assistant Michael Day was in the office next door and called authorities. Solanzki was put under arrest for attempted murder and Jeff was taken to St. Peter's Hospital. Investigators assume that Jeff knew Solanzki was going to open fire because he had been wearing a bulletproof vest. Only two bullets were shot in his torso and the other two were shot in his left arm. He is stable and will be holding a small press conference in his hospital room later today at four o'clock."

I blinked, not even sure what to comprehend. I ran to my phone and looked at all the missed calls and messages. They were mostly from Michael, a few from Emilio, and then my mother. I read the text messages, all of which were from Michael. He kept telling me to come to the hospital and saying to hurry the fuck up. I grabbed my keys and bolted to the car. I started to drive to the city, calling Michael and putting him on speaker.

"Emerson!" he yelled. "Don't you ever answer your goddamn phone?"

"I was at work!"

"What the fuck ever. Do you even know what's going on?"

"I know Faye is in the hospital and that Rick shot him and that he's been arrested. But is Lafayette okay? Will he be able to use his arm? The vest worked right? He's not in pain?"

Michael sighed. "Jesus Fucking Christ. Out of everything that's going on, you're just worried if he's okay."

"Of course I am! I love that man! You better answer me!"

"Yes. He is perfectly okay. He's just tired and his arm is in pain but he can use it. The vest worked."

I sighed in relief. "That's good. Why did Rick shoot him?"

"I don't know. He won't talk to anyone."

"Why the fuck not?"

"Because he wants to talk to you first. He refuses to say anything until he sees you. But of course you have been ignoring your phone all day."

"Sorry! I'm on my way, okay? I'm driving now so I should get off before I crash."

"Fine. See you soon."

I drove quickly to the city, trying to remain calm but on the inside I was freaking out. I didn't know what was going on at all, and I wasn't sure if anything was going to turn out okay or not, but in the end I just had to see Lafayette. I mean, I did have to tell him happy birthday after all...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 140K 80
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
1.6M 128K 61
"ရှင်သန်ခြင်းနဲ့သေဆုံးခြင်းကြား အလွှာပါးပါးလေးကိုဖြတ်ကျော်ခါနီးမှာမှ ငါမောင့်ကိုစွန့်လွှတ်တတ်ဖို့ သင်ယူနိုင်ခဲ့တယ်၊ လူတွေက သံသရာမှာ ရေစက်ရယ်၊ဝဋ်ကြွေး...
365K 42.3K 20
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
2.5M 2.4K 3
"The Malhotra Brides" is a heart-warming tale that explores the emotional journey of two sisters, Aditi and Pragya, as they navigate their new lives...