We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 4

26.7K 378 67
By keep_the_secret

I woke up to screaming . Genuine , blood–curdling screaming . I moaned , and rolled over , but even with my pillow over my head I could still hear it . “Shut up !” Someone yelled from next door , their voice breaking from just waking up .

Thank you I thought . Why the hell where they screaming anyway ?

I turned over and sat up , checking the time on my alarm clock .

8:34 ? Why would anyone be up , on a Sunday , at 8:34 ?

I shook my head sleepily , and yawned .

I lay down again , and closed my eyes . I didn't get to fall asleep , though , because Cait began knocking on all our doors , telling us to get up .

And then it clicked . Early , weekend morning . People screaming . Having to get up.

There's a fire !!!

I ran out of my room and into the hallway .

“Good , Hazel “ Cait nodded approvingly , “ Get to the bathroom before anyone else is up , clever .”

“F-fire !” I stuttered .

“What ?” Cait said , then laughed .

“But … someone screamed , and you told us we had to get up …”

“Terri screamed “ Cait explained , “She's just excited about our visitors . And as for me telling you all to get up , it's just so you'll be ready for them .”

“That's it ?” I said , blinking . “I'm going back to bed ...”

Of course , I couldn't get back to sleep . Now that Terri had woken everyone up , there was noise from every direction . So , I got up , and ran to the hall to put my name on the list for showers . Usually , we wouldn't have to do that , but everyone wanted one this morning .

While I was waiting for my shower , I went through my clothes for something to wear . A pair of car-boot-sale jeans , a sweatshirt that had previously belonged to Steven . I didn't mind that though , it reminded me of him , and it was comforting .

I grabbed my clothes , and went to join the line for the bathroom .

“Hey “ Tashie said , waving me over .

“Morning “ I replied .

“Is it always like the this ?” Tashie asked glancing around .

I shook my head . “No . Everyone wants a shower today , though . They want to get adopted , so they want to be clean .”

Tashie nodded , and looked around again .

“It's going to take me ages just to get to the door . I didn't put my name on the list until a few minutes ago .”

“It'll take you a while then “ I agreed , nodding .

We were silent again , having nothing to talk about .

I took my shower as quickly as I could . Cait had given us a max of ten minutes in the shower and two minutes to get dressed quickly , then scurry back into our rooms . I washed my hair , scrubbing hard at my scalp as if trying to scrape away ugly memories .

I got back into my room , and really just sat around and twiddled my thumbs . I didn't know what I was supposed to do . It wasn't even ten o clock yet , the band wouldn't be coming until five .

I straightened my hair , and tied up a pair of shoes then went downstairs .

Tashie and her sister Fay were waiting downstairs for me . I sighed silently , couldn't they leave me alone for a second ?! I shrugged off the thought , and walked over to them .

“What are we having for breakfast ?” I asked .

Tashie glanced over at the table . “Looks like …porridge “ She said glumly .

“Alright , well we'd better get over there before it's all gone “ I advised .

After breakfast , Cait brought the little kids to the playground . Terri , and some other girls , took a lift into town . Tashie , Fay and I hung around the house and talked in the game room .

“I don't want to be adopted “ Tashie stated . “Not by a bunch of strangers . I don't think I will be anyway , Kiara said they might have found some of our family . We'll probably be moving in with them soon .”

I nodded vaguely , though I admit I really wasn't listening . It sounded as though she was bragging about not having to be adopted . I knew she didn't mean it like that , though , it was just my subconscious twisting her words out of jealousy .

That makes me sound like a pig I thought , and snorted . Tashie looked at me , eyebrows raised , and I blushed and looked down .

Later , Cait came back . I saw at once why so many people had wanted to go into town , when they all came sauntering in with their crisp new All Time Low t-shirts . I saw Tashie rolling her eyes and shaking her head , but I didn't feel the same confidence . I tugged worriedly at the sleeve of my own second-hand jumper and bit my lip . I wanted to be adopted , an escape route of any sort seemed so inviting right now , but who would want to adopt me ? I came from a poor family on the 'bad' side of town , I wore cheap clothes and owned little possessions . And then there were people like Terri , who not only looked beautiful , but spoke clearly and at first glance seemed like the angel of a child . She would be adopted I thought , sighing inside . I followed Tashie back upstairs , leaving behind any hope of a new life .

At four o clock , a knock came on the door . It was my night for dinner , so I was in the kitchen with Cait , and Kiara who had called over early .

“Who is that ?” Cait asked herself . “The band aren't supposed to be here until five ...”

Kiara and I followed her out to the hall , then watched her open the door .

“Alright guys , lets move in !” A voice called , and a man appeared , beckoning more to follow .

About twenty men and women entered the house , carting with them cameras , microphones , laptops , and many other pieces of filming equipment .

“Umm... excuse me ?” Cait asked icily , raising her eyebrows . Kiara and I winced , wouldn't want her looking like that at me .

“Oh , sorry “ The first man said , turning around . “Hi , I'm Ritchie . You must be ...”

“Cait . May I ask what you are doing here ?”

Ritchie shifted uncomfortably under her gaze .

“Ehh , we have to set up all the filming stuff before the band come . You know , make sure the lighting's right , angle the cameras and get all the microphones set up , that kind of stuff .”

“I see “ Cait said . She had calmed down a little now , but still looked angry . She glanced over at us . “Hazel , back in the kitchen . You don't want anything to burn “ she said sharply , making a 'shoo' motion with her hand . I nodded , not needing to be told twice , and disappeared into the kitchen .

For dinner , we were having chicken , rice and some roasted veg . The rice was bubbling away , so I left that and checked on the chicken . “That looks … done ?” I guessed , taking it out of the oven so I could see it in better light .

“Needs a while longer “ Advised Kiara . I jumped , I hadn't heard her behind me .

“Thanks “ I said , putting it back . “I didn't know they were going to be filming this .”

Kiara glanced at me . “Yeah , me neither .”

The under elevens came down at half four to eat their dinner . Fay waved at me meekly as she took her plate , and I smiled back .

Kiara said they might have found some of our family . We'll probably be moving in with them soon .”

She was lucky . Both of them were , Fay and Tashie . They had a way out of this place , into family hands . I'd be stuck here until I was eighteen , and able to move out .

“Hazel ?” Cait called . “Come into the living room , they want to talk to the overs .”

'Overs' was what she called the over elevens for short .

“Coming !” I told her . I walked into the living room , and sat down on the floor , as all the seats were taken . No-one looked at me as I sat down , they were all occupied . The filming people were busy , checking lights and cameras , the overs sat and fidgeted nervously . Terri and the rest of the teenage girls checked their make-up , passing around mascara and lip-gloss .

“Hey ? Guys ?” Ritchie said , looking at us . “Is everyone here ?”

As if on cue , Tashie walked in . She smiled at everyone , then sat down beside me .

Ritchie nodded to her as she came in .

“Alright , is that everybody ?” He asked . Cait ,who had evidently been counting , nodded at him .

“Okay “ Ritchie said . “I'm Ritchie , I'm in charge of the filming . I'd just like to ask before we begin , if there's anyone who doesn't want to be filmed or ...” He trailed off , glancing around . “No ? Great , we'll get started so .”

“What are they doing ?” Tashie hissed at me . I shrugged .How am I supposed to know ?

“Alright , who wants to get interviewed first ?” Ritchie asked .

“Apparently , they're interviewing us “ I told Tashie dryly .

She rolled her eyes . “No duh “ She muttered .

“Okay , Terri , you come right over here “ Ritchie was saying . “Ewan , you interview her .”

Ritchie then began assigning other children to different interviewers . I turned and watched Terri and Ewan .

“Okay, what's your name ?”

“Teresa Steward . Everyone calls me Terri , though .”

“Got it . How long have you been in the Home ?”

“Sixteen years . I've been here ever since I can remember .”

“Do you like it ?”

Terri hesitated . She hated the Home , we all did , but she wasn't going to say that to a camera .

“Well … I do like it , I guess . I'd just love to leave in a real home , you know ?”

Nice save I thought to myself .

“You next “ Ritchie said , looking down at me . I jumped , since when was here there ?

“Umm... Okay ?”

“That's the spirit “ Ritchie said enthusiastically , “This is Grace .”

Grace was an interviewer . She had blond hair pulled sharply to the back of her head , and pink glasses. She clutched her clipboard to her chest , and was looking over the questions as I sat down .

“What's your name , dear ?” Grace asked me .

“Uh – I'm Hazel “ I said awkwardly .

She raised her eyebrows at me . “Hazel Reede .”

“Okay , Hazel . How long have you been in this Home ?”

“Not long . About a week .”

“Do you like it ?”

“It's okay . I mean , it's not bad , but it's not a home . A place like this never really could be .”

“Do you miss you're old home ?”

“Yeah . Wouldn't you ?” I blushed a little , I'd said that to harshly . But it was a stupid question anyway , of course I missed my old home .

“And would you like to be adopted ?”

“Yes , I'd love to be adopted . I miss having a family .”

Grace glanced down at her clipboard , then leaned forward . “What happened to your family ?”

Is she seriously expecting me to answer that ?

I couldn't help it . I glared at her , then got up and left . The last thing I heard as I left the room was what she said to the cameraman who had been recording us .

“Did you get all that ?”

“Hazel , don't leave “ Cait pleaded as walked past . “The band will be here in about fifteen minutes , you can't miss this shot . “

“What's the point ?” I hissed in return . “It's not as if I will be adopted .”

“Hazel , come on “ She said , “Please stay .”

I glanced upstairs to the comfort of my room and sighed .

“Fine . But no more interviews .”

Cait smiled at me in relief . “Deal .”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49 0 26
Alex Gaskarth is the lead singer of All Time Low but he also has a secret, one that is better kept that way. Jack Barakat is his best friend and band...
191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...
1.7K 110 9
-COMPLETED- Jack Barakat ended his own life eight years ago at the young age of nineteen. Or... that was the common belief, anyway. Alex Gaskarth w...
29K 1.2K 18
Alex Gaskarth, beloved lead singer of All Time Low, the American Pop Punk band from Baltimore. Jack Barakat, guitarist of the same band, Alex's best...