behind the scenes [completed]

By PictureInterest

Carter Young is an outgoing, all around friendly guy. Lacey Green is the opposite. Yes, she's friendly and c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue (part 1)
Epilogue (part 2)
END OF STORY AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 19

107 8 0
By PictureInterest

Please Excuse Any Mistakes

"How about this one?" Gwen asked me as she held up another black dress.

I rolled my eyes and slumped down in the chair, not wanting to be in the store.

She groaned and I watched her grab a few dresses from their hangers and come towards me. She grabbed my arm and dragged me up and towards a dressing room.

She pushed open the door and shoved the pile of dresses into my arms. I stumbled backwards and she pushed me into the small room. She pulled the door shut, "Lock it please!"

I sighed and locked the door.

Xx

"Gwen? I think I found a good one..." I turned to the small mirror and a small smile painted my features as I took a quick glance as my reflection.

I quickly took a look at myself again. It was just the black I found beautiful, the lace wrapping around my arms and across my collar bone tightly, connecting to the sweetheart neckline. It came in snuggly at the middle of my waist and cascaded down until it hit the ground. Tightly stitched lace cascaded down on top of the black fabric that made up the bottom half of the dress. My dark hair even looked nice against it.

I unlocked the door and stepped out, facing an excited Gwen.

I crossed my arms behind my back and rocked back and forth on the heels of my feet, eager to hear her response.

She stared at me, arms my her sides, eyes switching about as she looked at me.

Nerves bubbled insides me as time went by without her response, until a smile broke out on her face and she started jumping up and down excitedly, "L-Lacey, t-that's perfect! Anthony is going to l-l-love it!" She squealed excitedly.

A smile took form on my face as I heard her response, just knowing someone likes the dress was amazing...

She sprang forward, encasing me in a hug before quickly jumping back, wincing, "W-wait, I-I don't want to ruin the d-dress b-b-by wrinkling it..." She said unsurely.

I stifled a laugh as I looked down at myself, "So this is the one?" I looked up to Gwen and she nodded.

A smile still plastered on my face, I walked back into the dressing room and changed out of the dress and back into my normal clothes. I gathered up all of the dresses, keeping the one I'm buying separate from the others, and unlocked the door and went out.

I put the other dresses away and walked with Gwen to the counter, "You k-know, th-this place i-isn't that popular... Y-yet. T-their prices aren't t-ter-terribly high. Y-you got lucky" she said.

We reached the counter, a man, possibly in his late 30s greeted us. He rung up the dress and told us the price. I paid for the dress as he began packing the dress.

The man placed the dress neatly into a box and handed it to me. We both turned and headed out of the small store.

Outside, the sun had set, "So... Is Jerry coming to get us again?" I asked. I looked over to Gwen. Her eyes went wide.

"I forgot t-to ask h-him to g-g-get us again," She said in sudden horror, "It's l-like ten-thirty! Y-your house alone is, l-like, an h-hour or two away wa-walking!"

Dammit Jerry... Why do you always sleep at eight!?

My shoulders slumped as I stared at the almost empty parking lot. I was vaguely familiar with the stores around us, one of Carter's favorite stores is in this lot and he forced me to go with him once or twice...

"Well, I can't call my parents to get us, they both are at work and Evan doesn't drive. Is there someone you can call?" I asked, avoiding suggesting Carter. I honestly don't think I should be the "bigger person" and approach him about the fight he started.

She shook her head, "M-my parents w-wouldn't come... They'd b-blame me for this." Her eyes brightened as an idea popped on her head, "What about M-Macy?" She asked.

I shook my head, "She doesn't have her license..." I said.

Macy wrapped her arms around herself as she looked around the lot, "O-Okay, I k-know you guys are in a f-fight, but could you maybe call C-Carter?"

I clenched my jaw at her request. Thinking it over I sighed, I guess I'll try to be the bigger person. I put the box under my arm as I slid my phone out from my pocket. Deciding on not calling him, I unlocked my phone and went to messages. Carter was already my most recent conversation.

I typed in a message, hesitant to click send. But I did.

I looked down at the glowing screen, the same nerves I had earlier returning. The screen turned off and I didn't bother turning it back on.

A couple minutes later I heard a bing and the screen came to life, a notification displayed on the screen.

2 New Messages

C A R T E R

You want me to come pick you and Gwen up
from a store... Because you guys
were idiots and didn't ask someone to get you?

...Where are you guys?

I let out a sudden breath I didn't know I was holding as the nerves fizzled away.

Then another message popped up,

C A R T E R

Can we talk after I drop off Gwen? Please?

I bit my lip in thought and started typing. I told him where we were and that yes, we could talk.

Xx

About 30 minutes later, Carter's car pulled up in front of us. We hurried towards his car as I heard him unlock the doors. Gwen opened her door before me and slipped into the back seat, leaving me with either the back or passenger. Carter rolled down the passenger window and motioned to get in.

I sighed and opened the door to the passenger seat, I sat down in the seat and shut the door behind me. Carter locked the doors again and pulled away from the stores and towards the street. He asked Gwen where she lived and she answered him, giving simple directions.

The car ride to Gwen's house was in silence.

I heard Gwen fidget every now and then behind me in her seat.

Soon, Carter stopped in front of a house, or at least the silhouette of a house since it was so dark out, and Gwen got out. She said her goodbyes and hurried towards her house. Being just as quick to get inside.

We continued towards my house in silence. An awkward silence.

We were only a few streets down from my house when Carter pulled up next to the curb and turned off the car.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I turned towards him. He took his hand off the keys and unbuckled his seat belt. He readjusted himself in his seat so he was comfortably turned towards me.

I followed suit and turned towards him.

Just now did I take in his appearance. The light from the street lamp was shining into the car, hitting his features enough to be seen. His hair seemed messier than usual, either from stress or sleep... I couldn't tell. His eyelashes were casting long shadows across his cheekbones as the glasses perched on his nose added more shadows to his temples. Even now his blue eyes stuck out from his appearance.

And here I am, bland and average. Probably looking terrible in the slight light while Carter looks amazing.

I quickly glanced to his apparel. He was wearing a white short sleeved tee shirt with cuffed ends at the sleeves, along with dark grey sweat pants. Did I wake him up?

I looked back at his face. He was staring at me intently, studying me.

I averted my gaze and looked down to my hands. I started playing with my fingers as I shakily sighed, "I-I'm sorry Ca--" I started but he cut me off.

"No," he started. I looked back up to him to see him now looking down at his hands as he played with the hem of his shirt, "I-I shouldn't have acted like that to be honest," He looked up to me, "I should've known someone would ask you to the dance and... I guess... I kind of- I was mad that after all these years, just this one year, would be the breaking point of just 'Carter and Lacey'." He said.
He paused for a moment, "I mean, it's kind of obvious you're gonna end up going on a couple dates with this guy so... I was jealous? I guess? Jealous knowing he'd probably take up time that I could've spent with you."

I opened my mouth to respond but I shut it quickly, not really knowing what to say.

He looked at me before he spoke again, "Lace, please, just know, that I'm scared for you. If he breaks your heart or does anything, it will feel like someone is tearing apart some part of me because you'd be in pain. Every time you're mad, I feel like screaming. When your crying, I feel like sobbing next to you. When you don't feel anything at all, neither do I," He said, "I just don't want you to get hurt... At all." He finished.

Silence filled the car. A small smile painted my features. He seems relieved as he smiled at my reaction.

"If it makes you feel any better, I don't exactly need to go to that dance with Anthony. It's not like I have feeling for him. So don't think that Anthony will end up taking up all my time. You're my best friend... Ok?"

The smile still on his face, he nodded and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

I reached forwards across the bridge between the two seats and wrapped my arms around Carter, burrowing my head into his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me as well, resting his head on my shoulder and his chin on the edge of my back.

"I love you Carter, my Partner in Crime" I mumbled into his shirt.

"I love you Lace, my Partner in Crime" I felt him mumble. We pulled apart and I sank back into my seat.

"Do you wanna stay at my house?" I asked him.

He nodded and rubbed his eye, causing his glasses to go up and down with his hand.

Xx

I unlocked the door and pushed it open, Carter following behind. The lights were turned off and I knew very well that my parents weren't home.

Evan's stuff was by the door. Bitch didn't even text me asking where I was. Hmph.

I kicked off my shoes, as did Carter, and went towards the stairs. I ascended the stairs, Carter close behind and went down the hall to my room, pushing the door open and heading towards my dresser. I grabbed a shirt and some sweatpants and went across the hall to the bathroom while Carter went into my room.

I got ready quickly, tying my hair into a pony tail as I went back into my room.

Carter was putting his glasses down on my nightstand, the moonlight only showing him. I looked around the room. The moonlight that was seeping through the windows danced against everything in my room, even Carter and I.

It was a beautiful sight.

I dropped the clothes I was wearing messily on top of the laundry basket. I looked up and saw Crater had already gotten comfortable, as he was laying down in my bed, slowly falling asleep.

I rolled my eyes as I walked towards my bed. I pulled the covers back and slipped in, pulling the covers back over me.

I got comfortable and closed my eyes, welcoming sleep.

But of course up I ended up falling asleep an hour or two later because of all the late night thoughts that keep you up, haunting your mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 291 58
Following a tragic accident, an insomniac struggles to deal with the memories and guilt that he feels every day. He carries secrets with him that no...
190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
42.1K 1.4K 25
Max Anderson has bipolar disorder and is keeping a huge secret from society, only her family knows what happened and their not so proud of it. During...
4M 85.5K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...