Justice in Love

By LilNaths_Sloth

Georgia Monroe thought it was going to be a normal day in court. Someone would come in, pleading not guilty... More

Ch. 1 Mr. Robinson
Ch. 2 Coffee
Ch. 3 Assault and Battery
Ch. 4 Dating
Ch. 5 Trial
Ch. 6 Sick
Ch. 7 Attack
Ch. 8 Evan
Ch. 9 The Robinsons
Ch. 11 Love is Love
Ch. 12 Love & Sex
Ch. 13 Hurt
Ch. 14 Sex Appeal
Ch. 15 Vacation
Ch. 16 Birthday
Ch. 17 Court
Ch. 18 Back to the Old Grind
Ch. 19 Love Hurts
Ch. 20 Family
Ch. 21 Crazy Day
Ch. 22 Long Day
Ch. 23 Home Improvement
Ch. 24 Separated
Ch. 25 Back Home
Ch. 26 Visitor
Ch. 27 Threat
Ch. 28 Marriage
Ch. 29 My World
Ch. 30 Recovery
Ch. 31 Planning
Ch. 32 The Dress
Ch. 33 Decision
Ch. 34 Reconciliation
Ch. 35 Burning Love
Ch. 36 Move
Ch. 37 Important Meetings
Ch. 38 Date
Ch. 39 Thanksgiving
Ch. 40 Fight
Ch. 41 Defending Honor
Ch. 42 Break Down
Ch. 43 Sex
Ch. 44 The Man is a Tramp
Ch. 45 Christmas Drama
Ch. 46 Romance
Ch. 47 January 4th
Ch. 48 Power
Ch. 49 Crazy Court Encounter
Ch. 50 Italy
Ch. 51 Wedding Prep
Ch. 52 The Big Day
Ch. 53 The First Day
Ch. 54 Crisis
Ch. 55 Day Off
Ch. 56 Sick
Ch. 57 Lucy
Ch. 58 Uncertainty
Ch. 59 Accidents
Ch. 60 Wife
Ch. 61 Milo and Me
Ch. 62 The Last Time
Ch. 63 Break
Ch. 64 More
Ch. 65 Issues
Ch. 66 Talking
Ch. 67 Caught

Ch. 10 Anything for a Case

2.5K 50 8
By LilNaths_Sloth

Reed had to go back to the office.

I had fallen asleep. My body just couldn't take any more emotion or feeling.

When I woke, he wasn't with me. He must've still been at the office.

I crawled out of bed and took a quick shower. Then, I dried and curled my hair. I did my makeup and slipped on a new set of bra and panties. I dressed in a black skirt and burgundy top. I slipped my heels on and went downstairs.

I grabbed my briefcase and left the house.

I didn't notice anything on my way to work. My morning was a blur. I didn't want to see life outside. I didn't want to see anyone or anything.

When I got to work, I went to my chambers and got a cup of coffee. I took a drink. I had a bit of a hangover that I needed to help.

There was a knock on my door.

"Andy, I'm not seeing anyone this morning."

The door opened.

Senator Robinson stepped in.

I looked at him. "Can I help you?"

"I want to apologize for last night."

"Listen, if your wife put you up to this, it's fine. Just forget it."

"Judge, I was out of line. I just-My son is my world. He's everything to my family and myself. We don't want to see him hurt."

"And you think I'm going to hurt him? Thank you for that. That makes me feel so much better."

"Your Honor-"

"I know Reed and I aren't conventional. I get that you don't want him to get hurt, but he loves me. And I-I love him. Clearly, we don't know everything about one another, but we're working on it. He's an amazing young man and I'm honored to know him and to be loved by him."

He was quiet.

"You don't have to approve. I don't expect you to, nor do I need you to."

He took a breath. "Your Honor, it's an election year."

I froze. I looked at him. "You just don't want us dating, because you think it's going to effect your votes?"

"Your Honor-"

"I don't do politics, and if I did, I would not endorse you. You're a politician. You don't even care about your son's happiness as long as him being miserable works out for you."

He was quiet.

I shook my head and stood. I put my robe on. "Senator, I'm due in court soon."

He sighed, "I love my son and my family, but my job is everything. It takes care of my family."

There was a knock on the door. "Your Honor, you're due in court."

I nodded. "Okay." I looked to Senator Robinson. "I really need to go. I appreciate you coming and trying to apologize, despite your motive."

He didn't say anything.

I grabbed my coffee and the file and left the room. I went to court and sat in my chair.

The jury came in and took their seats.

Senator Robinson walked in and sat in the back.

I ignored him. "Okay. Are there any more witnesses?"

Reed stood. "Your Honor, the defense has a witness."

I looked to prosecution.

He nodded.

"Mr. Robinson, you may call your witness."

"Defense would like to call the defendant, Eric Larson, to the stand."

He was sworn in. He sat on the stand.

Reed walked over. "Mr. Larson, you're the plaintiff's boss?"

"Yes."

"Do you feel like your position gives you more opportunity to take advantage of your workers?"

"Of course not."

"Are women just as important as men in your office?"

"Of course."

"Was the plaintiff ever more than just an employee?"

"She was my girlfriend for some time, yes."

"Had you had an intimate relationship?"

"Yes."

"At the time of the alleged sexual harassment, were you having an affair?"

"Yes."

"So this sexual harassment wasn't sexual harassment, it was something of a flirtation?"

"Yes. She wanted it, wanted us to go public."

"Why didn't you?"

"I didn't want to hurt my wife."

"But you cheated on your wife. Wouldn't that hurt her?"

"Yes, but I didn't want to humiliate her by telling everyone."

Reed nodded. "Did you have feelings for this woman?"

"Yes."

"Did she have feelings for you?"

"Yes."

"So you had a relationship. How did it end?"

"It ended when my wife found out."

"Did the plaintiff continue to show affection?"

"Yes, she did. She would touch me at work. She would say dirty things."

"Wait. She said that's what you did," Reed spoke.

"Objection!" the prosecution shouted. "Your Honor, there wasn't a question there and it's speculating that my client is mirroring what actually happened."

"I said no such thing, Your Honor. If he thinks that's what's happening-" Reed put his arms up in an almost giving up manner. "-then maybe that's what's happening. Maybe his client altered the story."

"Your Honor, objection!" the co-counsel for the prosecution snapped. "He's accusing our client of lying under oath!"

I looked at Reed. "Mr. Robinson, tread lightly."

"I'm just connecting two and two, Your Honor."

"Try to do it on your own time, Mr. Robinson. The objections are sustained," I spoke.

He sighed and turned to his client. "Are you trying to tell the court she harassed you?"

"Your Honor, we've been over this. You just sustained our objections to this," the prosecutor spoke.

I looked at Reed.

"Your Honor, it's so easy for people to believe that a man in power sexually harassed a woman. Why is the reverse so difficult to believe? If this is what really happened, he should have a right to tell what happened."

"Well-"

"Your Honor, may I put this in a way the jury might be able to understand?"

I considered it a moment and spoke, "Okay, sure, but get to your point quickly, Mr. Robinson."

"Yes, Your Honor." He looked at the jury, then at me. "Judge Monroe is technically my boss."

"Your Honor," the prosecutor spoke.

"I just want a minute to make an explanation. You're a woman. I'm a man. You're in power, I'm not. I'm making a parallel situation. I'd like to ask the court to bear with me for a couple moments."

"Get to your point quickly. After this, don't use me in a parallel, hypothetical situation again in court," I spoke.

"Yes, Your Honor." He turned to the jury. "Judge Monroe is technically my boss. Yes, she's a woman, and she's got the power. If she were to say something inappropriate to me, it might be okay. People would call me lucky. They'd tell me that it's okay, because I'd win more cases. It's a win-win, don't worry about it. Whatever. But if I turned to her and told her something inappropriate, she'd hold me in contempt."

Mr. Robinson looked at us. He crossed his arms. I couldn't tell if he was appalled or proud of his son.

"I know this isn't a closing statement, but I'd like to draw your attention to that double-standard. If I made a move towards her, she'd probably send me to the courthouse jail. If she made one towards me, I'd have to stand here, take it like a man, and move on from it. It's no big deal, Reed. She's a judge, you're a lawyer. She's got the power, she can do what she wants."

"Mr. Robinson, you've had your moment," I spoke, taking a drink of coffee.

He smiled at me and turned to his witness. "Mr. Larson, did the plaintiff come onto you?"

"Yes."

"Did you tell her to stop?"

"Yes, multiple times."

"And did she stop?"

"Not until the lawsuit."

"No further questions, Your Honor." Reed sat down. He smiled at me.

"Mr. Robinson, smirk off your face, please," I spoke.

"Yes, Your Honor," he smirked. Then, he just started laughing, openly in court, in front of his father.

"Mr. Robinson, control yourself."

He covered his face, still laughing. "Your Honor, can I request that we go to a recess?"

"Your Honor, really?" the prosecution asked.

"Mr. Robinson-"

"I didn't get much sleep, Your Honor. I do apologize. I just-I need a moment. Please," he laughed.

I looked at the prosecution. "Do you have any questions for the defendant?"

"No, Your Honor."

"Then, I don't see why we can't take a quick recess," I spoke. "The court will take a ten minute recess." I hit my gavel.

The jury left the room.

When I went to my chambers, Reed was still laughing.

There was a knock on my door.

I took a drink of my coffee. "Come in." I took another drink.

Andy came in. "He's still laughing."

"God, what's with him?" I smiled.

"I don't know. Why didn't you stop him? That sounded like a closing argument."

"He made a valid point. There is a double-standard."

He nodded. "I suppose there is. What are you doing to that poor man?"

I smiled, "I have no idea."

He smirked and started to leave the room.

"Andy?"

"Yes, Your Honor?"

"Bring Mr. Robinson in. I'd like to discuss his court behavior."

"Yes, ma'am." He left the room.

As I made myself another cup of coffee, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Reed stepped in, closing the door behind him. He was still chuckling.

"Mr. Robinson-"

He came over to me and wrapped his arms around me.

I turned to him and smiled, "What's gotten into you?"

"Put the coffee down. You don't need it."

"Yes, I do. I have to listen to closing arguments."

He laughed and shook his head.

I gave him a kiss. "Stop laughing."

"I can't."

"You only have a few minutes left."

"You might have to have Andy hit me. I need to calm down, but I can't. I'm just so tired."

"You left me in bed. When did you go back to work?"

"A few minutes after you fell asleep. They needed help at the firm." He was still laughing. "Can you tell me something bad? Being with you makes me on Cloud Nine and I need to be on my A Game for closing arguments."

"Your dad was in court today."

He froze. "What?"

"I think he was impressed."

"That's good. Maybe he'll be a little more understanding."

"Maybe."

He smiled, giving me a kiss.

"Hey, Reed?" I spoke, pulling back.

"Yeah?"

"Your parallel situation is a little disappointing."

"Why?"

"Because it means I can't tell you how much I wish we were at home right now," I whispered, kissing his jaw. I grazed my teeth across his skin.

He took a sharp intake of breath. He quietly moaned.

I pulled away from him and smiled. "You stopped laughing."

He looked uncomfortable.

"Reed? What's wrong?"

"Sleepy arousal is sexy. It's fantastic, but not in court. I-I need to sit for a minute and I need to think about something not sexy."

"Do you want Andy to come hit you?"

He made his way to a seat and covered his lap.

I passed him a cup of coffee.

Andy knocked on the door. "Your Honor, are you ready? I don't hear laughing."

"Andy, come in here."

He stepped in and closed the door behind him."What?"

"Reed is really tired. In my attempt to get him to stop laughing, which did work, I got him feeling something else and we're both due in court in under four minutes."

"Wha--Oh. Okay. Can his co-counsel do the closing?"

"Can Evan do it?" I asked Reed.

"Closing arguments are my best thing," he nearly groaned. "Georgia-"

"What did you do to the poor boy?" Andy asked.

"I just kissed his jaw and used my teeth, like a bad make-out session from high school."

He looked at Reed, then at me. "Jesus. You two are like high school kids. You have that innocent, flirtatious love that everyone wants. How do you two do it? I mean, you're a lawyer and judge. How do you keep the excitement alive?"

"By sneaking around in chambers," he groaned and put his head on my desk. "I think I need to go-"

Senator Robinson walked in. "Judge--Oh, dear. What's wrong with Reed? Son, are you okay?"

"Well, that's a mood killer. I'll wait outside." Andy stepped outside.

Reed looked up. He looked at his dad. "Hi, Dad. I'm fine."

"Reed, you look terrible. Did you not sleep last night?"

"No, I had work at the office to do. I stayed up all night." 

"Maybe you should go home and get some rest. Or go to work and close your door and snooze. You just can't go back to court half asleep."

"I've done it before."

"You have closing arguments. You can't afford to laugh in court."

"Dad-"

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I spoke.

Evan looked in. "Hey, Reed--Oh, you don't look so great."

Reed looked at me. "This is my case. I have to get back in there."

"I'll close," Evan spoke.

Reed looked at me. "Is he any good?"

"He was pretty good."

Reed looked at him. "Fine, but if we lose this case, it's on you."

"Okay." Evan looked at me. He smiled, but he didn't say anything.

"Mr. Jacobs, go back to the courtroom."

"I just-"

"What?" I sighed.

"I just, um, never mind."

"Then, go. Reed is going back to work, so it's just you."

He nodded. "Okay. I can do that."

"Okay, now, go."

He left.

I looked at Reed. "Go to work or go home. You need to get some rest."

Andy came in. "Your Honor, time for court."

I stood. I looked at Reed. "Uh, I'll see you later."

He nodded.

I looked at Senator Robinson. "Nice to see you again."

He nodded.

I stepped out and went back to court.

Evan stood and did the stupid closing of his jacket. He smiled at me and turned to the jury. "Mr. Larson and the plaintiff had an affair. He and the plaintiff had been intimate. And when he decided to end it, she just couldn't let go, which led to her sexual harassment. Mr. Larson didn't do anything to her. Why take her side? Why believe her over him? Because she's a woman. That doesn't seem right. Gender doesn't make a lick of difference when it comes to sexual harassment. And I know that this is a he said/she said case. It's contradicting. But why believe her? Because she's a woman? I don't think so."

I took a drink of coffee. I was bored, insanely bored. His closing wasn't making sense to me. It was jumpy. I knew Reed would be pissed if he heard it.

The prosecution stood when Evan finished. "Seriously? Why believe her? It's statistically proven that women are more likely to be harassed than men. Why? Because they're nice to look at. It's ridiculous. It's discriminatory. All my client is asking for is you to recognize women. Recognize their struggle in the workplace and put an end to the sexual harassment in this workplace. Help give a victim validation, let her know that being a powerful man doesn't give him the right to violate them."

When the jury left, I went back to my chambers and took my robe off. I began reading through more case files. I read for hours, going over and over cases.

After a while, Andy came in. "Judge Monroe, should I order you a lunch?"

"Oh. What time is it?"

"12:30."

"Oh. I, um, I'll go out. I don't have court this afternoon, right?"

"No, you don't."

"Great. Okay. I'll go out. Thanks, Andy."

"You're welcome." He left the room.

I got my phone out and rang Reed.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey, it's me."

"Hey, pretty girl. Miss me in court?"

"Always. I was about to go get lunch. Have you eaten?"

"I haven't. Are you coming in? Or am I meeting you?"

"I can pick something up and come to you. How does Chinese sound?"

"Sounds great."

After getting his order, I told him I'd see him shortly and hung up. I grabbed my wallet and left.

There was a little Chinese place near my house that Jen and I liked to order from. It was really good. We'd never gotten something we didn't like.

When I got the food, I took it to Reed's office.

When I got there, I didn't even stop at reception. I just went straight to Reed's office. I knocked on the door.

"Come in," he called, sounding annoyed.

I went in. "Everything okay?"

He looked up and smiled, "Hey you."

"Hey. What's wrong?"

"Just looking at some clients Evan brought us. He wants me to co-counsel a few of them."

"Oh." I put the food on a chair and walked around to him.

He turned to me.

I gave him a kiss. "Darling, I'm afraid your day is going to get worse. Evan's closing argument sucked."

"Really?" he sighed.

I nodded.

"Then, I need another kiss."

I gave him another kiss and kissed him sweetly. I pulled back and whispered, "Better?"

"Much," he smiled.

I went around the table and got the food. I divided it between us.

As we started eating, Reed looked at me. "This is really good. Where'd you get it?"

"A place by my house. Jen and I haven't gotten anything from them we didn't like."

"I bet she thinks I've taken you hostage."

"Maybe," I smirked, taking a bite of my food.

He smiled and took a bite of his.

There was a knock on his door.

"Yeah?" he smiled.

Peter and Evan came in the room.

"You're in a better mood," Peter spoke.

"Oh, Georgia, hi," Evan spoke.

"Hey, Evan," I spoke, turning back to Reed. I sat up and crossed my legs.

"Evan told me that court went well this morning, said the prosecution was being too generic and his closing was the best he'd ever done."

Reed looked at me. "Care to weigh in?"

"The prosecutor basically said that by saying he was guilty of sexual harassment, they'd be stepping up and recognizing the issue in the workplace. It was moving," I spoke, taking another bite of food.

"It's okay. We might be okay," Peter spoke.

"Doubtful," I spoke.

"You're not helping," Evan snapped.

"Hey, don't talk to her like that. Just because your closing sucked doesn't mean you get to be an ass. She's a judge, the judge on the case you apparently blew. If they say not guilty, she can overrule that," Reed spoke.

I took a bite of food.

"Why is she always here? This is a law firm and she's a judge that we go against on a daily basis. She shouldn't be here, snooping around."

"I'm not snooping around," I defended.

He ignored me and looked at Reed.

"She's a close friend. We live close to each other, we work close to each other. I enjoy having her around, she brightens the room up, don't you think?" Reed asked, taking a bite of food.

I smiled at him. "Sweet talking will get you everywhere, my friend."

He smirked.

Peter spoke, "She definitely brightens you up a bit. You had a smile at four in the morning."

"Don't smile often?" I asked.

"There's not much to smile about around here."

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Reed spoke.

The door opened and closed.

Reed looked up. "Hey, Mom."

I looked up.

"I went to the courthouse, but Judge Monroe wasn't in. I thought you might know where she is or how I can get a hold of her."

"She's too busy being here," Evan grumbled.

Peter smirked, "You two really don't like each other, do you?"

"No," I spoke.

"Speak for yourself," Evan snapped.

I turned to him. "Get over yourself."

"Georgia-"

"No, Evan. I'm not fighting with you today."

He sighed.

I looked to Mrs. Robinson. "Hi, Mrs. Robinson. You came by my office?"

"Yes, I need a court order."

"For what?"

"DNA. I'm trying to prove this man is the father of a child."

"Oh, I read that case. He doesn't want to pay alimony?"

She nodded.

"Okay. I'll get on it as soon as I get back to my office."

"Thank you. I also wanted to apologize for Louis."

"He came into my office this morning," I spoke.

"What?" she and Reed both gasped.

"He came in, starting with an apology. He proceeded to inform me that it's an election year and I'll effect his votes by being seen with his son."

"Seriously?" Reed spoke.

I nodded. "And for the record, if I wanted to hurt you, I would've done it already. And I don't appreciate him coming to my office and telling me to back off."

He looked at his mother.

"I don't know what to say. I wish he hadn't done that. He had no right to bother you at work."

"He's a politician. He'll do anything to do well in the elections. I'm competitive. I respect that, but I'm not a person to worry about. Whether he wins or loses doesn't effect me."

She sighed and looked at Reed. "I wish I knew why this bothers him so much. The family money is put away and it's not like you're getting married."

"Mom, she doesn't care about the money. Nobody cares about the money," Reed sighed.

"I've been here ten minutes and the two things that ruined yesterday have already been thrown in my face again," I sighed.

Reed looked at me and sighed. He didn't know what to do, what to say.

My phone rang.

I answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, it's Jen. Are you coming home tonight?"

"Probably not."

"So the dinner went well?"

"Not at all."

"I want to hear everything."

"Now's not the best time."

"Okay, well, I have another date tonight."

"Then, I'll stay out of your way."

"Thanks, doll. Okay. I have to go. Kids are coming back from lunch."

"Okay. Talk to you later."

"Bye."

I hung up and sighed.

"Everything okay?" Reed asked.

"Yeah, Jen has another date tonight."

"You can stay at my place," he spoke, taking a drink of coffee.

"I'm sorry. What?" Evan asked.

Reed looked up. "Well, I'm not going to let her sleep in her office."

"She can stay at my place," Evan spoke.

"I'd rather sleep in my office," I mumbled.

"Hey, at least you've slept in a bed with me before."

I glared at him.

"Am I really so bad?"

My phone rang.

I sighed and answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, Peaches," Dad spoke, sounding wounded.

"Oh, hey. What's wrong?"

"Your mother's case is being appealed. The prosecution wants you to testify."

"Why didn't they call me?"

"I was in the office today, so they asked me to pass the message along."

"I ran over the case file last night."

"Why would you have seen the case file?"

"Evan works with Reed now," I spoke.

"He what?!" Dad shouted. "That slimy son of a bitch better keep to himself or I swear I'll kill him myself!"

Reed looked at me with wide eyes.

"He-"

"Who's co-counsel?"

"I don't know."

"The judge?"

"I don't know. I don't know what they're using for their defense either."

"I don't like this."

"I know."

"This is wrong. This man killed your mother. Why the hell is Evan trying to let him walk?"

"Because he doesn't care about anything or anyone as long as he benefits from it."

"That makes me sick."

"When do they need me to testify?" I looked at Reed and mimicked writing.

He passed me a notepad and pen.

Dad gave me the date.

I scribbled it down and spoke, "Okay. I've written it down. I'll try to figure out who the judge is."

"What are you going to do if Reed co-counsels this?"

"He won't."

"Georgia-"

"He knows how much this case means to me. He wouldn't take it."

"How are things with you two?"

"Fine, still going steady."

"Good. Take care of yourself and if Evan comes near you-"

"Sick Andy on him. I got it. I have to go, but I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay. I love you, Peaches."

"I love you. Talk to you soon."

"Bye."

I hung up.

"What case are you testifying in?" Mrs. Robinson asked.

"The People vs Greg Pauley."

"You can't be serious," Evan spoke.

"Did you really think I wasn't going to testify?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah. I was assigned that case earlier today. My colleague was gathering witness testimonies for me," Mrs. Robinson spoke.

I looked at her. "Seriously?"

She nodded. "Yes, they thought it would be best to have a woman and mother as the prosecutor."

I nodded.

She looked at Evan. "I'm Barbara Robinson, prosecutor. You must be Evan Jacobs, the defense."

"Yes, ma'am."

She looked at me. "Small world. How do you know this case?"

I took a breath. I looked at her. "The victim was my mother."

Her eyes widened. "Oh, my."

I put my food down and sighed. I looked at the men. "Who's going to be co-counsel?"

"Reed, you're pretty great in court. Why don't you do it?" Evan asked.

"Not a chance in hell."

"Why not?"

"Because I value my relationship with Georgia too much. She was there, Evan. You think she's lying? I don't and I'm not going to defend a man who we know committed the crime."

"How do you know she was there? She never talks about it."

"I asked about it yesterday when she got upset over the case."

Evan sighed.

"How long did he get last time?" Reed asked.

"20 to life with the option of parole in 10," I spoke.

"And his motive?" Peter asked.

"I don't know."

"If he shot your mother, why didn't he shoot you? Why leave a witness?" Peter asked.

"I don't know."

"Do you know anything?" Evan asked.

"Evan, take a walk," Reed spoke.

"No. I'm fine."

"Take a walk," Reed spoke between closed teeth.

I heard the door open and close.

"Peter, give us a minute."

"Reed-"

"A minute."

The door opened and closed.

Reed looked at me. "Georgia-"

"I need to get back to work." I looked at his mom. "You needed a court order? When do you need it by?"

"Later this afternoon or tomorrow."

I nodded and stood.

"Georgia, wait a second," Reed spoke.

I turned to him.

"You can't leave this upset. You won't be able to work and-"

"I'm fine, Reed. This case is old news. Or it was. Anyway, it's fine. I'm fine."

He looked at me a moment, then spoke, "Okay, I'll see you tonight then?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I'll see you tonight." I looked to his mom. "I'll get that court order ready for you."

She nodded.

I stepped out of the office.

Evan was at the elevator.

I sighed and went over, waiting beside him.

When the elevator came, we got on and turned to the doors.

He hit the button for the first floor.

I looked at my shoes. I didn't like being in a confined space with him.

His hand touched my shoulder.

"Don't."

"Georgia-"

Tears stung my eyes. A lump grew in my throat. I couldn't speak. I managed to shake my head.

Arms wound around me. "Honey, please, don't cry."

"Why are you doing this? How could you put me through this again?" I sobbed into his shoulder.

"Georgia-"

"If you miss me as much as you say, if you love me, why are you doing this?"

"I don't know. He was my client then. If I don't take it, it'll look like I think he's guilty."

"But he is."

"I know that. Georgia, I know what he did and I know he killed Mary and that killed you. I know it kills you. I just-I couldn't say no to it and I can't now."

I sighed and lifted my head from his shoulder. "You hurt me more than he ever did."

"Georgia," he sighed.

The elevator stopped on one.

I looked at him. "I have to go."

Before I could move away from him, he took my face in his hands and kissed me deeply. Sloppy. Messy. It was bad. His lips were overpowering.

I managed to pull back. I breathed, "We have to get off the elevator."

He sighed, "Okay."

I stepped off the elevator. I walked outside, and then I started running. I ran all the way back to my office. I couldn't be alone with him, didn't want to be alone with him. I just really needed to be alone. I needed to cry.

When I got to my office, I went in and quickly got Mrs. Robinson's court order ready. It didn't take long to do.

When I finished that, I couldn't take it anymore. I just lost it. I completely broke down. I knew I needed to get out of there.

I managed to calm myself down. I grabbed the court order and my briefcase and left the room.

My secretary looked at me with a worried look. "Judge-"

"I'm fine. I'm headed home for the day. If Barbara Robinson comes in, give this to her. It's the court order she requested."

She nodded. "Okay."

I left.

I walked home and went straight to my room. I closed the door and changed into leggings and a black top. I buried my head in my pillow as tears consumed me. I needed to cry. I needed to wail. I couldn't stop.

I wasn't sure how long I had been there.

I heard a gasp. "Oh, Georgia!" Jen gasped. Her hand touched my back. "What's wrong? Did Reed and you break up?"

I shook my head.

"Then what is it?"

"I need to be alone," I sobbed.

She left the room.

I continued to sob. I couldn't stop. My body couldn't stop shaking. I was so hurt and tired. I needed the case to be over. I needed to stop seeing him.

A long while later, there was a knock on my door.

"Jen, I want to be alone," I sobbed, turning my head from the door.

The door opened and closed.

A hand touched my back. My body must've known who it was, because my back turned to flame. Reed.

"Georgia-"

"I don't want to talk," I cried.

"Then, I'll talk and you listen."

I closed my eyes and released even more tears.

"I'm sorry this is happening. I wish I could stop it. I wish it didn't hurt you like this, because you're one of the strongest people I know and it breaks my heart to see you like this."

I couldn't say anything.

"Georgia," he whispered.

I didn't say anything. I just laid there, turned from him.

"What can I do?" he whispered.

"Nothing."

I could feel him move. I could hear him remove his jacket and his tie as the fabric moved against each other. Then, he laid beside me. He laid on his side and pulled me in his arms.

"Why are you here? Why-Why are you doing this? Why-Why do you care?" I sobbed, refusing to lift my head from my pillow.

"Jen called me to tell me you probably weren't coming over tonight. I asked her why and she said you weren't well, but I saw you earlier. I knew you were fine. I'm here and I care, because I love you and I don't want you to be hurting. I don't want you to be alone."

I quickly turned my face so it was against his chest, turning my body to his.

"Georgia," he sighed, rubbing my back.

After a few minutes, I calmed down.

Wait.

Did he say he loved me? Did he mean to say it? He couldn't mean it. We had just started dating. There was no way that he could say it and mean it, right? But I knew I loved him. Maybe he did mean it. What did that mean for us?

I didn't say anything for a minute. I didn't look at him. Then, I spoke, "Reed?"

"Yeah, Georgia?"

"I-"

My phone rang.

I got up and found my phone. I answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, it's Andy. The verdict is in."

"I'll be right there." I hung up and went to my restroom. I fixed my makeup, then I went to my room and changed into a pair of black trousers. I slipped my blazer on.

"Georgia, where are you going?"

"We're due in court. The jury has a verdict."

He quickly fixed his tie and slipped his blazer on.

I led him from the room.

Jen stood when she saw us. "Hey, you're up."

"Court," I mumbled, slipping my heels on.

"Georgia-"

"I just have to sit there. I'll be fine. Have fun on your date."

"Okay." She looked at Reed.

"She'll be okay."

She nodded.

I pulled him from the house.

We practically ran to the courthouse. When we got there, he went to court and I went to my office.

I threw my blazer on my chair and slipped my robe on. I zipped it up.

"Ready?" Andy asked.

I nodded.

He left.

I took a breath and followed him.

He announced me.

I walked in and sat. I looked towards the jury as they entered and sat. I glanced at Reed, who was staring at me. I couldn't tell what was in his eyes. I couldn't tell what he was feeling.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" I asked, turning my attention to the jury.

"Yes, Your Honor," the first juror spoke.

"What say you?"

He started his little speech, then spoke the words, "We find the defendant guilty and he must pay the plaintiff..."

The amount of money was in the hundred thousands. It was insane, the largest amount I had ever seen a jury reward a plaintiff.

I glanced at Reed.

He looked pissed. He took a breath and turned to the opposing counsel, shaking their hands.

"Court adjourned," I spoke and hit my gavel. I stood and left the courtroom. I went to my chambers and changed back into my blazer. I left my office.

As I was about to leave the courthouse, a hand grabbed my elbow.

I was turned.

Evan. "Hey, Georgia."

"If you knew what was best for you, you'd release my arm."

He tightened his grip.

"Mr. Jacobs."

"Georgia."

"Don't."

"Georgia, you can't walk away from me."

"I can and I want to."

"Georgia-"

"You're in a courthouse, holding a judge against her will and calling her by her first name."

"Quit talking about yourself in the third person. Take me to your office."

"No."

"Georgia-"

"Let me go."

"No."

A security guard came over. "Judge Monroe, is everything okay over here?"

"No. Can you get him off me?"

The security guard looked at him. "Sir, I need you to release the judge."

"I just want to talk to her."

"If she doesn't want to talk to you, she doesn't have to."

Reed came over. "What's going on over here?"

"The gentleman won't let the judge go."

"Evan, let her go. You have things to do at the office."

Evan looked at me.

Reed looked at him. "We have work to do and you're wasting our time."

I looked at Reed.

He wouldn't look at me.

Evan released me and walked out of the courthouse.

Reed looked at me. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Get to work. I'm going home."

The security guard walked away.

He got something from his pocket. He handed it to me. 

I looked. "A key?"

"To my place. Go there. Jen has her date, remember?"

I nodded. "Okay. Then, I'll see you in a bit?"

"Yeah," he smiled.

We walked out of the courthouse.

I went towards his place and he went towards his office.

When I got to his place, I unlocked the door and went in. I went to the living room and sat down. I turned his television on and flipped through the channels. I found a movie and decided to watch it.

When the movie was over, I went in his kitchen and found an open bottle of wine from one of our dates. I opened it and poured a glass. I took a drink and went back into the living room. I sat and found another movie to watch.

As I watched the film, my thoughts drifted to Reed and what he had said earlier. I wondered if he meant it. Did he really love me? Was he just saying it to calm me down? Did he say it thinking I wouldn't hear it?

I took a drink of wine and tried to sort out my racing thoughts. I'd had a rough day--a rough week. I really hoped things would settle down soon.

As the movie finished, the door opened.

"Marco?" he called.

"Polo!" I called, turning towards the door.

He walked in and smiled, "Hey you."

"Hey," I smiled.

He gave me a kiss and pulled back. He took his blazer off and walked around the couch. He sat down.

I held my wine out to him. "Drink of wine?"

He took my glass and took a drink. Then, he handed it back to me. "It's been a crazy couple of days."

I nodded.

His eyes searched mine.

I sat up a bit. "We need to talk."

"Serious talk?"

I nodded.

He sat up. "What's going on?"

I took a breath. "Earlier today, you said something that I'd like to clear up."

"Did I offend you or something? Because I'm sorry if I did. I didn't mean-"

"No, nothing like that," I assured him.

He looked at me curiously.

I looked down at my hands, holding them in my lap. "Earlier, when I was crying, I asked you why you were there and why you even cared."

He nodded.

"You said it was because you love me."

His eyes searched mine.

"We barely know each other. How could you know?"

"From the moment I met you, I had this gut feeling. And every moment I'm with you, I just get this feeling. It's only been a few weeks, but I've never felt like this before, Georgia. I want to spend every moment of every day with you. The time we share together can lift my spirits all day. I walk around with stupid grins on my face and you on my mind and I can't think straight or talk straight. I've fallen for you quickly and completely. I know it's fast and it probably makes me sound crazy, but I can't help what I feel."

I moved forward and gave him a kiss. I kissed him sweetly. I pulled back. "Tell me again."

"All of that? I don't think I can."

"No," I smiled. "If you sincerely mean it, tell me you love me."

He took my face in one of his hands. His eyes searched mine. "I. Love. You."

I took a breath, my heart beating up my throat.

"Georgia," he breathed.

"Reed, I-"

My phone rang.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Can you wait a second?"

He nodded.

I got my phone and answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, Georgia. It's Jen."

"What do you want?"

"Are you guys having sex or something? You sound annoyed."

"No. You think I'd answer my phone if we were having sex?"

Reed smirked at me.

"You've yet to tell me if you've had sex or how it was."

"What do you want?" I repeated.

"I really like this guy, Georgia. I don't want to mess it up."

"Then, don't mess it up."

She sighed.

"Just don't overthink. Have fun with him. Fun keeps the romance alive."

"Okay. Oh, can I borrow your little black dress?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Thanks. You're the best."

"I know. Now, have fun. I have to go."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and looked at Reed. "Where were we?"

"We were talking about me loving you and how you feel."

"Right." I put my phone down and turned to him. "You love me?"

He nodded, "Yes, I do. Very much."

I could feel my heart beating against my chest. I could hear it in my ears.

He looked at me.

"Reed, I-"

Peter burst in. "Reed, you're not going to believe this!"

Reed looked at me. He turned to Peter. "I regret giving you a key. What am I not going to believe?"

"We got the Wilcox vs Wilcox case."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, here." He handed him a case file. "You're doing it."

"When does it start?"

"A couple weeks."

"I can't believe you got this. Are you co-counsel?"

"I was thinking Melanie could. She'd be a woman presence and you're a lover boy or whatever. I figured you'd be a good team for this case."

"Who's the judge?" Reed asked.

"I have no idea."

"What's the case?" I asked.

"A woman is divorcing and suing her husband for damages he caused in their abusive marriage. Over a million dollars in damages," Peter smiled.

"You're kidding."

"Huge case--HUGE! Reed, you up for this?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Great. You and Mel can start working on it in the morning."

"Conley will probably be the judge. He usually does divorce and alimony matters," I spoke.

They nodded.

"How does he usually rule?" Peter asked.

"In favor of the woman. His own parents divorced when he was a child. He became a judge to help families, because he couldn't help his own."

"Great! Reed, push that button. Make it personal like you do with Georgia and-"

I looked at Reed. "Wait. What?"

"I don't make it personal with Georgia, Peter. We're very professional."

"Yeah, right! You've used her as examples twice. Very personal examples. It probably would've won the jury over in your last case if Evan hadn't done the closing."

"Yeah, he's not doing that again for a while," Reed spoke, flipping through the file.

"Yeah, don't let Melanie either. She's a sweet girl, excellent in bed, but terrible at persuasion. I still have no idea how she's an attorney."

"Then, why'd you hire her?" I asked.

"She's sexy. Really hot, attractive girl. It throws male jurors or judges off sometimes."

"That's disgusting."

"It worked with you and Reed."

"Excuse me?"

"That's why I gave him that murder case. I knew you were working the case and he's, well, him. I've seen women swoon over him, so I sent him in. We needed all the help we could get with that one."

I looked at Reed. "You said you weren't dating me to win cases."

"Georgia-"

I shook my head and got up. I went to find my things. I knew he was a lawyer and he'd probably just lie to me--anything to help your case, right?

"Georgia, what are you doing?" he asked as I got my toiletries from the restroom.

"I'm going home."

"Hold on a second."

I pushed past him and went downstairs. I put my things in my bag. I went to collect the stuff from my briefcase.

"Georgia, it's not like that."

I turned to him. "Then, what's it like?"

"Okay, it was at first, but it's not now, okay? And it hasn't been since I met you."

"I want to believe that, Reed, but I was a defense lawyer too. I know deception. I know that you'll do everything to win your case, and you did. Congratulations." I went to grab my bags.

"Georgia, wait. Please," he spoke.

I looked at him. "What the hell is wrong with you? I mean, you had me meet your family! You had me more or less living with you. And for what? A few good cases, a couple paychecks?"

"Georgia-"

"And you know the sickest part of it all? I fell for it. I fell for you and I knew it was too good to be true. A handsome guy doesn't just walk into court, and then want to date you. I told Jen this was going to be a bad idea, told her you were doing this to win cases. I knew it and I let myself live the lie anyway."

"It's not a lie, Georgia. It's not been a lie."

"Forgive me if I'm not feeling much like believing you right now."

"Jen has her date tonight. You can stay in my guest room."

"Reed-"

"I insist."

I sighed, "Fine."

I took my bags and went upstairs. I went in the guest room and closed the door. I sat on the bed.

Tears ran down my cheeks.

How could I have let this happen? How could I have been so naïve? How could I have been so ignorant? I knew better. I knew it was too good to be true, but I let myself do it anyway. And just my luck, I'd actually fallen in love with him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 3.3K 19
"We can't... you're my client." He chuckled, "so? There's no law against fucking my lawyer." He cupped my chin forcing me to look at him. "Stop makin...
148K 3.8K 44
Quinn, a struggling young lawyer, is given a final chance to prove herself. But when her next client turns out to be her handsome billionaire bully f...
4.6M 117K 33
Working for Reed Drummond, as his personal assistant, is no walk in the park for Winifred Monroe. The man is demanding and used to getting his way. S...
Forgive or Forget By SueLou

Mystery / Thriller

5.4K 671 32
Cheryl and Reed had a whirlwind romance. Reed swept Cheryl off of her feet. Her family and friends thought things between them were moving too fast...