We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 1

20.3K 407 82
By keep_the_secret

Cait was waiting in the kitchen for me to come down .

“I was thinking that if you don't mind , we could go down to your house and pick up some stuff “She said casually , though she was obviously wary of my reaction .

I paused . I didn't really want to go back , with all Steven and Mum's things leering at me . “When ?” asked , trying to sound relaxed too , but she glanced at me , frowning , so apparently it wasn't working .

“Sometime today . After lunch , maybe ?”

'No' I wanted to say . Instead , I shrugged . “Yeah , maybe .” Cait nodded , satisfied with my response .

“What would you like for breakfast ?” She asked . I shook my head . “I'm not really hungry , thanks .” Cait sighed . “Look , Hazel , I know this has been tough on you but -”

She looked up , as I did , hearing yells from upstairs . “I'm coming !” She called and hurried away .

I watched her leave , then got up myself . This was only my third day at the Home , and I already wanted to run away . I grabbed my jacket of my hook in the hall , then walked outside into the crisp October air .

If I could live in this house willingly , by myself , with no other children of foster mothers , I have to admit it would be nice . It sat in the middle of the countryside , the nearest town was about five miles away . It was big , it had to be , to fit all us children , and it was homey .

Still , it was nothing like the place I used to live in . Sure , that was a flat above the local chemist with two bedrooms , it had mould growing in one of the showers , and every time you tried to open the front door it got jammed , so you were there for half an hour trying to open the bloody thing . But , it was home . And I love it , and would give anything to go back .

Now , I didn't want to . It felt like chaining a dog who hasn't eaten in weeks up to a wall , then planting a bowl of food centimeters out of their reach . So close , yet so far .

I couldn't go back home , but I had to . There was no way Cait would let me stay here , while she went and picked up my stuff . What did she mean by that , anyway ? My room could barely fit me , let alone any of my things from home .

I sighed . Why was it me ? I guess , we all have bad things happen to us sometimes , but did it have to be this ? Did my family have to die ?

It wasn't long before I heard Cait calling me , so I walked back from the bottom of the garden up to the house . “We'll be leaving soon” She said , “John's going to meet us there , so if you want to go up to your room and grab anything , do it quickly .”

I shook my head . “No , I don't need anything “I replied , and she nodded back at me . “Okay , get in the car so , and we'll be off .”

When we arrived at my old apartment , I winced . I hadn't been here in about a week but it looked exactly the same . I could see John waiting outside for us , glancing anxiously down the road for our car .

Cait steered expertly into a parking space by the curb , and got it . “Come on , Hazel” She said brightly . I slipped out of my seat and looked p at the block of flats ahead of me . I could see ours , with Steven's window facing out into the street . His curtains were closed , but I knew everything that was behind them without needing to go upstairs .

“Hazel !” John said when we approached him . “How's it been ?” I shrugged . “Okay , I guess . You ?” He beamed at me . Sometimes , I think he is a bit to enthusiastic . “Fantastic . Shall we go upstairs , so ?”

I nodded . I had the key , on a chain around my neck . Mum gave it to me when she started working , for when we came home and she wasn't there . Apparently , I was more responsible than Steven would ever be .

“True , that “ I muttered , as I shoved against the door . “Sorry ?” Cait asked .

“Nothing .”

The apartment was empty , and cold . All our furniture was exactly where we'd left , and I grimaced . In a way , I had been hoping that something might have changed .

I went into my room first . I shared it with Mum , and Steven took the last bedroom at the front of the house . “What do you want me to bring ?” I asked Cait . She shrugged , and glanced around . “Any personal items , really . The things you'd most like to see when you wake up in the morning , the things that remind you of home . The rest will be moved into storage .”

“Clothes ?” I asked . She nodded . “Yes . But mind , you might not be able to fit all of them in your closet .” I opened my drawers , and began packing . “That's okay” I said , “I don't have much clothes anyway .”

“Is there anything I can do to help ?” Cait asked . I nodded . “Yeah , there's some photo albums under the bed , could I bring those ?” She nodded . “Those would be perfect .”

There was silence for a few minutes , as we packed up my things , when Cait was finished with the albums , she went to the kitchen to make some coffee , and John came and joined me . We moved on to ornaments , books and diaries .

“It's hard , isn't it , packing stuff away like this ?” John said awkwardly , “Harder than you'd think .” I nodded , as I handled carefully the crystal swan Mum had won me at a fair when I was seven . “Have you ever had to do it ?” I asked , “For you , I mean .”

He nodded , surprising me . “When I was about your age , maybe younger . There was a gas leak , and we had to evacuate . Both my parents died in an attempt to save me and my sister .”

I blinked . “I'm sorry” I told him . He smiled at me . “It's okay . That's why I took this job , you know . To try and make it better for kids going through the same stuff I went through .”

“You're doing a good job” I told him . He thanked me , and glanced around . “Are we finished here ?” He asked . I looked around the room , and nodded . “What do we do now ?” I asked .

“Coffee's ready !” Cait called . “Have a coffee break ,” John said , laughing . “Let's put the boxes in the hall , quickly , before it gets cold .”

“Do you want some ?” Cait asked me , when we came in . She had already poured cups for her and John . I shook my head . I had never liked coffee , although both my mother and brother were addicted . “You take after your dad “ Mum had always told me . That was almost as much as she spoke of him . He had left when I was a couple of months old , and never come back . Social Services had tried to find him , but couldn't .

“You were saying earlier , about the rest of the stuff going into storage ...” I trailed off . Cait nodded . “Yes . That's for furniture , and big stuff like that . It's still , owned by you , technically , so it's just a safe place to keep it until you turn eighteen .”

“When?” I asked . Cait frowned . “Hmm ?”

“When will all the stuff be moved into storage ?”

“Oh ! Well , tomorrow , maybe ?”

John shook his head . “Can't do tomorrow “ he said .

“Why not ?” Cait asked .

“The charity thing remember ? They're coming over tomorrow .”

Cait nodded . “Oh , yes , I remember now . Well , how long will they be staying ? We could still ...”

John shook his head again . “I don't know when they're coming , or how long they're staying . They're visiting three other homes tomorrow , and we're the last .”

Cait turned to me . “We'll probably move your things into storage , the day after tomorrow , then . You don't mind , do you ?”

I shook my head . “No . So what's this charity thing ?”

Cait smiled mysteriously . “I'll tell you when we get home , love , it's not fair for you to know ahead of the others . Are you done your coffee , John ? In that case , we can get started again . The bedroom , or in here , Hazel ? It's your house , you get to choose .”

Not much stuff was to be taken down in the living room and kitchen . We rented the apartment , and most of our valuables were in the bedrooms . In Steven's bedroom , there wasn't much things of sentimental value to me , but a lot of things that reminded me of him . I took his guitar , CD's , t-shirts that he had often lent me , his alarm clock , and the photos he kept on his locker .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233K 4.2K 44
For a fostered kid, Isabel has had a pretty good life. Never had anything to complain about, she loved her foster family in Baltimore and all her fri...
2.3K 106 14
!!!!DISCONTINUED REWRITING AS A NEW NON FAN FICTION STORY!!!!!! As a stranger approaches Rebekah, she is stunned by the gift she is given. "Use this...
20.1K 608 24
Scout Gaskarth is the sister to the band All Time Low's lead singer, Alex Gaskarth. But when things happen and Scout has to live with Alex, what craz...
121K 2.5K 27
Alice Barakat, Jack Barakat's "little" sister by an hour, moves back in with Jack and her mom when she finds out that her dad is remarrying...