We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Prologue

51.1K 513 96
By keep_the_secret

DISCLAIMER : I do not own All Time Low or  Hopeless Records . I do not own the characters such as Alex , Zack Rian or Jack . I only own the plot and some of the characters .

I couldn't believe it . I wouldn't believe it . Yet I had to . Here , lying in front of me was the fresh corpses of my mother and brother . I leaned over them , tears running freely down my face , sobs escaping out my mouth . I shook them gently with my shivering hands , but they did not wake .

How could this have happened so quickly ? Just a few minutes ago we'd all been laughing and joking , on our way to Liz Smith's , Mum's best friend since pre-school . I hadn't seen her for years ,  and so I'd been excited .

We weren't rich people, so Mum's car was a tiny one . It was squashed with only the three of us . What we could fit in the boot , we did , but a lot of our luggage was spread across our laps .

Steven , my brother , was the oldest out of the two of us by a year , so he sat in the passenger seat . He and Mum got the full blast of the crash .

What had we been talking about , while so unaware of what was going to happen next ? Peanuts . Steven was allergic to peanuts , and Liz loved them ,so we were laughing about what would happen if he ate some while we were there .

"My face would swell up like a pumpkin" Steven laughed . 

"I'd love to see that " I agreed . Mum simply shook her head at the two of us .

Then , all of a sudden , there was a violent smash , and the car was on its side , and silence was the only thing I could hear . It was as loud as trumpets blasting in my ears .

My family was dead . I knew that much without having to look at them , but I did anyway because I couldn't believe myself .

Steven was lying on the pavement , his limbs sprawled across the path . Blood trickling down his face was the only movement from his body . HIs mouth and eyes were wide open  and mirroring the pain I could feel in my chest .

Mum was still in the car , her head slumped against the steering wheel . Her eyes were closed , her mouth twisted with her last laugh silently echoeing from it .

Dead .

"Hazel ? Hazel !" Arms shaking me awoke me from my dream . 

"Huh ?" I said groggily , blinking . Cait , my 'foster mother' stood above me . 

"You were having a nightmare " She said , "Screaming like anything ." 

"Oh . Sorry ."

She left me to get dressed , but first I went to the bathroom to splash cold water on my face . That nightmare , again ! I had been having that same dream every night since the accident .

I stared into the bathroom mirror and winced . My face looked nothing like it had looked just weeks before . As well as the bruise on my cheek , and the jagged cut along my hairline , my face was skinny and pale . My black hair hung limply around my head , and my dark brown eyes loomed out like muddy orbs .

What I hated most nowadays was my eyes . They were the only part of me that stayed the same , but they looked so different . Mum and Steven had exactly the same eyes as I do , and I hate mine for that . Evry time I looked in a reflective surface I was reminded of my family .

Back in my room , I pulled on some jeans and a sweatshirt . Cait calls it my room , but it's not at all . The walls are ivory white , the floors clean and polished wood . The curtains , bed clothes , and rug on the floor match , but I didn't pick them out . Any of my things that I've brought here are lying untouched in various bags and boxes under my bed .

After the accident , it's hard to remember anything . For hours , at least thats what it seemed like , I sat with my family , only hearing the thudding of my own heart , but then suddenly there were crowds of people around me . They asked me questions , like my name and what happened but I couldn't think . I stood there , blinded by the sudden lights of their cars , until they bundled me into an ambulance and carted me off to hospital .

They told me that ny mother and brother were dead . Like I didn't already know that . They introduced me to John , my social worker , who told me he was very sorry for my loss . Then they brought me to a 'special room' where I could have some 'private time' to 'think' .

I stayed in the hospital for a total of three days , while they made sure I was okay . I got stitches on my arms , and an my right leg , and for a few days I had to use a crutch , but apart from that , I was fine .

Since I had no living relatives , at least that they could find (i.e. my dad) , they sent me into a sort of orphanage . The techinical name was a foster facility , but everyone I knew just called it The Home .

I hate it here . It's called a home , but it's not a home at all . Everyone else here has been here for years , and made friends of their own . When I first arrived , they had obviously been told to be nice to me , because they kept asking if I wanted to join in and do this , or come up and play that . Within hours , the act had vanished , and was left sitting alone in 'my' room .

I don't mind , though . I prefer it like that , actually . It's nice , relaxing , I get to just think .

At night , I hate this place even more . The room is small , and when it's dark it's like I'm in that car all over again , and I'm screaming and screaming , but nobody's coming , and it's just me and Steven and Mum , but they're dead and I'm alone , always alone .

When morning comes , it's kind of refreshing . But it still makes me remember that none of this was a bad dream , and I'm going to be stuck in this 'Home' forever .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 2.5K 27
Alice Barakat, Jack Barakat's "little" sister by an hour, moves back in with Jack and her mom when she finds out that her dad is remarrying...
72K 1.6K 42
Rozlynn Gaskarth is the little sister of All Time Low's frontman, Alex Gaskarth. She is also best friends with Dahvie Vanity and Jayy Von Monroe from...
65.7K 2.7K 65
Ameliorate: To make (something unsatisfactory)better. Adelpha Omorfiá Orfanó is a normal fourteen year old girl, but only in her own opinion. She'...
20.1K 608 24
Scout Gaskarth is the sister to the band All Time Low's lead singer, Alex Gaskarth. But when things happen and Scout has to live with Alex, what craz...