When Winter Arrives

ijustwant2write tarafından

Lady Bethan of House Fierre always knew that she would be the key to form an alliance between her and another... Daha Fazla

Introductions
Gathering Guests
New Faces
Finishing Touches
Repitition
Everlasting Threat
Visible
A Few More Days
The Wedding
A New Family
Short Celebrations

The Long Road

5.5K 93 2
ijustwant2write tarafından

The wind whistled outside the castle walls, the sound of the market place being set up followed. People were already awake at this hour, starting their daily routines. I too had to awake, much to my dismay.

Wrapping some furs around me, I raised to my feet, padding quickly along the cold stone floor. My handmaiden knocked before entering, holding two buckets of hot water in each hand. I sat in a chair as she poured the water into the tub, making small talk with her.

"Septa wishes to see you as soon you are ready, my lady." she informed me as she set the buckets aside.

"Well, I best be quick, Septa is not a patient woman."

Gripping onto the furs tighter, I quickened my steps as I made my way to Septa. My stomach grumbled as I had not yet had breakfast but if Septa wanted to see me before my lessons then it would be serious. The wind blew even stronger than before though this was normal weather to those of us who lived in the North.

"Ah, you're here." Septa sighed as I entered the room.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, please sit, my lady."

I sat in the chair placed in front of her desk. She browsed her small bookshelf, collecting a pile of three books, two of them being very big ones. Slamming them on the table, she smiled at me.

"I want you to have read these by the end of the week. Don't give me that look, you're an excellent reader."

"They're quite big." I mumbled.

"Yes, but they're important." she read the titles as she picked them up."Here is one about the etiquitte of a lady, though you have already learnt most of that, the history of House Stark and traditional marriages."

"Marriage? Wait, why am I studying marriage?" I panicked.

"But your father must have told you."

"Told me what?"

"Have you had breakfast yet?"

"What has that got to do with anything?"

"Answer me."

"No, why? Explain immediately."

"Get to breakfast right away, your father has important news." she shoved me out of the room, slamming the door shut behind me.

This was it, I was no longer going to be a free woman.

Dragging myself towards the hall, I took deep breaths. No one wanted an arranged marriage, but it would have happened at some point. There was no way father would call it off, this was the only way I could be useful to him. I had four brothers, Edward (who was already married) and Edmund (also married) were my two older brothers and I my younger siblings were twins, George and Harry. Father did love me but I want as important as the others were to him.

My father, Lord Herald Fierre also had an arranged marriage with my mother, Lady Jenette. Our house is known as one of the strongest ones in the North besides the Starks. We had a long line of being successful in both battles and wars; if you needed a strong army, we were the people you wanted. Our timeline was full of boys, hardly any women. I was the first girl to be born in quite a few generations which father wasn't too pleased about. Even though I was not allowed to practice with any sort of weaponry, my brother Edmund had taught me the basics of a bow and a little with the sword behind our parents back. I hadn't any amazing skills with these weapons but I would be able to defend myself.

Upon entering the hall, I saw the rest of my family already sat, waiting for me. Lowering my head, I walked to my seat quickly, apologising for being late. Mother and father glanced at each other, confused as to why I was late because I was on time for everything.

"Why are you late, Bethan?" my mother asked.

"I was seeing Septa, it was a mistake to go before breakfast. But I know, so you might as well be out with it."

"Know what?" my father questioned.

"About my arranged marriage."

My mother ushered my brothers out of the room."Boys, could you please leave us with your sister?"

Harry and George started to complain."But we haven't had any breakfast yet!"

"Do as your mother asks." father's voice boomed, making the others scatter."Bethan, come sit down."

I did as I was told but with a frown on my face. Mother and father held hands, something they did to comfort each other.

"I have to announce this to the court but we wanted to tell you first."

My mother sighed."You knew this was going to happen."

"Your marriage will tie our houses together-"

"Father, who am I marrying?"

"Do you remember the Starks? You were quite young the last time we visited."

"Very little of them but there are some vague memories."

"Their eldest, Robb Stark, shall be your husband to be."

I nodded, trying to stop my chin from trembling as the tears made my vision to blurry.

"Please don't be upset-"

"Excuse me, please."

I wasn't going to decline the duty of marrying another for the sake of my house but I was still upset. Rushing to my room, I ignored those looking at me, wondering what was wrong with the Lord's daughter. Finally, I made it to my room just in time as my legs gave way. This wasn't me, I never showed emotion, I didn't want to feel a burden on anyone else.

Someone knocked at my door and I scrambled from my position on the floor, wiping my face free of tears. Calling them in, I put a smile on my face.

"Edmund, what a surprise." I breathed as he entered.

"I'm sorry that you're being married to someone you don't know."

"It's alright. It was bound to happen."

"Bethan, stop pretending. Even I was upset when this happened to me."

"But it isn't fair. You got to choose your wife. I'm the one who had been chosen.

"If it makes you feel any better, I have met with the Starks upon a few occasions. They are a strong and loving family, in sure you'll be welcomed with open arms."

"It is not the family I am worried about."

"Robb? We have been hunting together before, he is a kind man. I could not see him disrespecting you. And aslo, you are of the same age, it's not as if you are marrying someone older."

"What if we do not get along? What if he doesn't like the way I look?"

"You are over thinking this. I'm sure that my own wife was fretting just as you are."

"I could not see Freya in the state I'm in."

Edmund and Freya were a perfect match. She was a headstrong woman who loved sparring almost as much as Edmund. Luckily for her, her parents thought that it was a good way of defending herself; she was still ladylike but as soon as you put a weapon in her hand, she was a different woman. They bonded over this, eventually opening up to each other. He had gotten very lucky with mother and father's match making.

"No not really. But there is no need to fret sister, mother and father will have made a suitable match."

"I hope you are right brother."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My family and I were leaving for Winterfell in a matter of days. Everything of mine was packed, goodbyes were said, then we went, just like that. It seemed as if it didn't really matter to anyone else that I was probably never coming back, they still had the men of House Fierre. My new home awaited for me, including my new family.

I was stuck in a carriage with my mother and two younger brothers for the next few traveing days whereas father got to ride with his two eldest sons. Their wives were able to have their own carriage, why I couldn't go with them was a mystery. My legs would ache from sitting in the same position, George and Harry were being energetic eight year olds and mother just sat idly. Winterfell was only but a few days ride as they too were in the North. Septa's books kept me occupied though, seeing as I would be in my new home by the end of the week. The Stark's had a very interesting past though which intrigued me even more.

The carriage started to slow down as we approached the gates of Winterfell. Peeking out of the window, I saw the high walls of the grey castle, standing proudly on a high hill.

My mother held my hand."Are you alright?"

I took a deep breath."I suppose I'll have to be."

"He is lovely young man, you know, I am sure the you will be happy with him."

"But I have to live here. It shall be a strange not seeing you everyday."

"We will miss you dearly, you know that. Just the other night Harry was crying."

"No I wasn't!" he exclaimed.

I giggled."I'll miss you too, little brother." I hugged him.

"What about me?" George pouted.

"You too." I hugged them both, kissing their cheeks.

The carriage stopped and the door opened. Mother guided us all out of the carriage, standing in line with the rest of our family. The Starks and their group of close servants stood in the courtyard, awaiting our arrival. I gulped, suddenly feeling nervous. My shaking was visible so I held my hands together, hoping it just looked like I was cold.

My eyes stumbled upon the eldest as the Lord's of the house greeted each other. There were not many memories of House Stark, it was all too long ago. But the only thing I could be sure of was that my husband was handsome.

"My daughter, Bethan." I only just heard my father called my name as he introduced his family.

"My, she has grown into a beautiful young lady. I remember the last time you were here, you were just beginning to walk." Lady Catelyn smiled.

"My apologies my lady but I do not remember such memories. As you said, I was just a mere babe."

Lord Stark smiled."Come now, we shall get you settled in. I'm sure you're all tired from that long journey."

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

8.1K 343 14
The War of the Five Kings is over. Now the hard work begins in restoring Westeros to full strength before the Long Winter arrives and everything that...
99.6K 4.4K 23
In which Arya Stark meets someone who's just as ambitious as she is. When Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor, Irene thought that she was finished...
7.6K 359 26
★ THE LAST DRAGON, maelys targaryen ☆ THE HISTORIAN, kyra baratheon ★ THE BETTER BROTHER, rylon baratheon ☆ THE FEARLESS, kiren lannister ★ THE VALIA...
313K 10.5K 27
❝ I WOULDN'T PLAY WITH FIRE ,IF I WERE YOU. ICE MELTS FAST THESE DAYS. ❞ [ GAME OF THRONES AU ] [ AEGON'S CONQUEST ] [ AEGON TARGARYEN X OC ] [ Ⓒ win...