Uncovering Dahlia's Truth

By SillyCatSA

"She's gone." Those two simple words was all it took to throw Angel into a state where she shut out everyone... More

The night
The crash
The investigation
The thinking
The Date
The Realisation
The White-Blonde Girl
The Confession
The Good News
The Preperation
The Flight
The arrival
The payment
The flash back
The Unconcious Angel
The story
The Truth
The revilation
The epilogue

The dark and stormy night

216 18 1
By SillyCatSA

Angel had no tears left. Her head was throbbing and her nose felt blocked. She took one last sniff and sat back on the sand, starring out at the see. She curled her knees up to her chest. It was a warm Summer's night and the breeze swept threw her blonde hair, tickling her scalp. It was eerily peaceful, she thought.

She turned around when she heard the movement of clothing. She felt her heart contract when she saw Brooklyn, walking over with his hands in his pockets, his head held down. She turned back around and at the see. She stuck her face deeper into her knees. "Do you really want to see me now?" She asked, so soft that she thought he might've not heard.

She sensed him sitting down next to her, sighing and letting his long legs stretch in front of him. "Why would I be here if I didn't."

Angel looked up and in front of her at the waves silently crashing by the shore. "Maybe you're here to tell me how foolish I am."

"Angel," he said and the sudden firmness made her avert her eyes towards his. She saw strain in them and felt her heart twist even farther. "You can't blame yourself."

Angel felt her shoulders slump. "I didn't even like it," she said and looked away as she felt more tears, but tried her best to hold it in. "I guess I just felt like I should, since you've had all the experience and I felt like such a little girl compared to you at the time." She gulped. "Brad could make me feel like I wasn't. I was so wrong though." She looked down at the ground and then closed her yes, ashamed.

"You never had to prove anything," Brooklyn said, shaking his head. "And everybody makes mistakes in anyway."

"But my mistake resulted into my best friend getting murdered," she said bitterly, her eyes burning.

Brooklyn turned his body towards her with incredible speed. "Don't say that," he said, hurt in his voice. "How could you have known."

"I could've stayed with her," she snapped back. "Yet I go and fool around with an asshole and she was fully exposed to her killer."

"Brad is someone to be blaming here," Brooklyn quickly said. "He's the one that just took money and orders from a stranger, not you."

Angel was silent and looked at him. His eyes were staring widely at her and she felt a tear fall down her cheek. He reached out and wiped it away for her.

Angel sighed heavily. "Why did everything had to get so f*cked up."

"One can only learn from all of this," he said softly. "And don't forget about all the people who already love you."

Angel's tears were dropping onto the sand, leaving little stains. She wiped at her face. Brooklyn put his arm around her and she dug her face into his chest, for the hundredth time since it all happened. She held onto him tightly and kept seeing little flashes of Dahlia in her mind.

"My mind has blocked out so many things of that night," she said, it sounding slightly muffled in his chest.

"It's normal," she felt his chest move. "Pain does strange things to people."

For a few minutes, the two just sat there while Angel's tears started to dry. They held tightly to each other, both thinking of memories with Dahlia while staring at the blackness of the ocean and the slight sparkle of the sky above them. The two decided to get up, Brooklyn helping her to her feet. The two started walking back in silence.

Angel spotted something in front of them, close to the path that lead back up to the house. She squinted as she stared. "What's that?" She asked.

Brooklyn followed her gaze and shrugged. "Let's find out." The two moved closer and when they reached it, they saw that it was a box.

Angel looked up at Brooklyn. "Are we going to open it?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

Brooklyn bent down onto his haunches and stroked his hand over the fine oak wood. "Why not?" He asked and made to open it. Inside was a piece of paper, Angel saw, but once Brooklyn took it out, she realized it was a picture.

"What the hell?" Angel asked, her eyebrows creasing together. She bent down next to Brooklyn, tucking her tangled hair behind her ears.

Brooklyn held the picture up and they both stared. It was of the two of them sitting on the beach and staring at the sand, holding each other just a few minutes ago. It was a Polaroid. The two shared an uneasy glance with each other. Brooklyn turned the picture around and they saw that there was writing on it. Angel squinted closer to read it.

Remember this moment, because it just might be your last happy one. Not that this was particularly happen in any case. I'm watching, and I'm preparing to strike.

Angel couldn't breathe. She looked over her shoulder and to her left and then to her right and then again to her left. She felt herself shudder and gulped. Brooklyn put the picture down on the sand and picked up the box, examining it. He set it down again. "That's all," he whispered.

Angel moved closer to him, scanning the area around her once again. "Brooklyn," she whispered, her voice wavering. "We're closer to the truth, he or she is threatening us."

He stared silently at her and nodded his head. He picked up the Polaroid and stuffed it into his pants pocket. "Let's go, we shouldn't be out here."

💧💧💧💧💧

After Angel and Brooklyn went back up to the house, the atmosphere has gotten frighteningly eery. Angel constantly felt like she was being watched and felt herself getting a fright at any branch cracking or clothes flapping on the washing line. By the time they reached the house, the party was over. Aunty Maria was busy cleaning up. She looked up from folding up a table cloth and spotted them. She smiled. "Oh, where were you two?" She winked.

Angel and Brooklyn glanced at each other, they're eyes still stretched. They looked back at Maria. "We went for a walk," Brooklyn answered. "But it's quite late now, we ought to go to sleep." Angel nodded her head in agreement.

Maria smiled. "You should get some rest, tomorrow's flight is quite early."

Angel and Brooklyn said goodnight to Maria and made their way inside. Angel was so frightened that she didn't think twice before asking if she could sleep by him.

That night, the two of them laid in Brooklyn's bed. Both stared up at the ceiling, silent. Angel's head swirled with thoughts of Dahlia, Brad, Brooklyn and the person harassing them. She was properly freaked out. Both of them didn't sleep a wink.

Now they were in Brooklyn's car, just as silent, driving to Angel's flat back in Fynbos City. Earlier on their flight back to South Africa, Brooklyn offered Angel to come stay over at his house for now. Angel felt ashamed that she couldn't sleep by herself, but didn't protest. He told her that it's for both their safety, since they've realized how serious this has all become. The realization hit Angel with a pang every time. This person will kill me she thought to herself, yet she kept reminding herself that finding this person and the truth is something she just has to do.

"Here we are," Brooklyn said and Angel smiled over at him.

"Thanks, Brook," she said and opened the car door.

Brooklyn opened the car window. "I'll pick you up at 6."

Angel waved as he departed and fumbled for her keys in her carry bag. She barely put the key in its hole when she heard Hillary squeal with delight next to her.

She threw her arms around Angel. "Omg! You're back!"

Angel giggled a little and hugged her back. "Sure am," she said and opened the door.

Hillary followed her in with a hop in her step. "You my girl," she said, flopping down on the couch and pointing her finger at her. "Have to tell me everything."

Angel gave a weak smile from the kitchen where she put the kettle on and turned towards the cupboard. "Italy is amazing," she said, not knowing what else to say.

Hillary tucked her legs under her. "And...? What about you and Brooklyn?" She singsonged and gave Angel a wink.

Angel felt a slight blush coming on. She threw teabags into two mugs and made her way towards the kettle. "Well," she started while grabbing the kettle and pouring the boiling water into the two cups. "I'm staying with him for a little while." She bit her lip.

Hillary's mouth dropped. "Excuse me? You're moving in with him? What happened while you two were gone!"

Angel turned around. "No, it's because -" she stopped herself quickly and turned towards throwing sugar in the tea again.

Hillary got up from the couch and came to sit on a counter chair. "Because of what?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

Angel pursed her lips and lifted her head from the tea. She stared at Hillary's clueless face and thought about how this girl has been there for her this whole time. She felt her rigid body loosen. "I'm just staying with him because someone is -" she felt herself chocking on her words again. "Stalking me," she said softly.

Hillary's eyebrows flew up. "Are you serious?" She asked. Concern laced her features. "Shouldn't you call the police?" She asked.

"No!" Angel said a bit too loudly and Hillary stammered. "No, I mean it's not that serious," she quickly corrected herself. "I'm just doing this for incase." She let out a breath of relief.

Hillary nodded her head. "Okay," she said and put her hand over Angel's. "But if anything else happens, you can tell me and I'll help you get through it."

Angel gave her a smile. "Thank you," she said. "That means a lot to me."

Hillary smiled and got up from the chair. "Now come on," she said and made her way to the stairs. "You need to get packed for staying at Brooklyn's."

Angel grabbed the two mugs of tea and followed Hillary, handing her a mug. "Well okay," she giggled and the two excitedly went up the stairs.

💧💧💧💧

"I'm sorry Brook," Angel sighed, picking up a thick winters coat, black as charcoal. She held it against her. "I didn't realize I had so many things to buy."

"It's fine," Brooklyn said on the other line of the phone. "I'll see you tonight."

"Bye." Angel pressed end and heard thunder from outside the mall. She didn't realize how cold and stormy it still is even though it's the last month of winter. She quickly tried on the jacket and grinned as it fit perfectly. She took it off and took it towards the counter along with her new grey scarf and navy blue beanie. There was another strike of thunder and she jumped. The guy behind the till chuckled and Angel gave a weak smile.

"A little jumpy aren't we," he said while ringing up her clothes.

Angel folded her arms around her chest. "No kidding," she mumbled.

He handed her her bag and she smiled, thanking him.

"Take care of yourself," he said. "The storm is getting worse outside and it's really dark."

"I will," she said. She exited Old Khaki and ran towards Woolworths to go grab a bottle of champagne.

thunder struck again as she ran out of Woolworths and she jumped once again. She started walking faster to her car. She checked her phone to see that it was 6 o'clock, the closing time for the shops. She reached her car and opened the boot. She turned around and the thunder struck again and she let her bag with the clothing in fall when she realized she wasn't alone.

"Matt." Angel stared at him, he was drenched in rain water, his hair clinging to his forehead. He stood staring at her. Angel took a deep breath.

"Why haven't you been answering my calls?" He asked, taking two steps forward.

Angel hastily picked up the shopping bag and looked back up at him. "I," she stuttered. "I've been busy."

Matt stared at her, pursing his lips. "Is it Brooklyn?" He asked, his face contorting into a sudden scowl.

Angel's heart was beating faster then. "What?" She said.

Matt shook his head. "I knew it," he said, starting to pace. "I knew it, you've always been in love with him, everybody knew."

Angel flushed and folded her arms in front of her chest.

"That's why I never went for you," he continued, looking at her again.

"Matt -"

"You were just as bad as your friend," he continued.

Angel closed her mouth and frowned. She opened it again to speak, her eyebrows still knitted together. "What? Are you talking about Dahlia?"

Matt thrusted his hands into his pockets, taking a few more steps forward. "Yes I'm talking about Dahlia," he said impatiently. "She rejected me, I'm sure she told you."

Angel stared at him, her face still twisted into a frown.

Matt's eyebrows lifted. He gave a bitter laugh. "She didn't tell you," he said, realization dawning on him. "See, that's the thing about her," he smiled menacingly up at Angel. "Everybody liked to think that she was a saint, but I know much better."

"What are you talking about," Angel said angrily.

"I'm talking about her whereabouts," he said, seeming to enjoy this. "She liked to get involved with the wrong people."

"You're crazy," Angel said, backing up towards her car. Angel was about to shout more profanities at him, but then remembered what Cathy told her. She stole Matt van Dyk from me.

Matt shook his head. "No no no, she and her little friend liked to do some naughty stuff," he said. "She never wanted to with me though."

Angel's back hit the car and she winced. Matt was now just a few inches from her. "So," he said in a whisper, his cold breath fanning her face. Angel gulped. "I got rid of her," he said. Angel's eyes grew wider. "And it all started with a car."

Angel couldn't breath. She felt light headed and sickened. This quickly changed to anger. She shoved at him and for a moment he looked surprised before cracking out a ferocious grin.

"You bastard," she whispered.

He came closer and Angel instinctively kicked out her foot, striking him in the stomach. He groaned, hunching forwards.

"B*tch," he growled and got up with incredible speed, yanking her down by the hair. Angel screamed. She kneed him down under and he fell down to his knees. Angel fumbled for her keys in her bag while Matt was rolling on the floor. She found it just when he was staring to get up, his eyes looking at her with pure fury. She opened the car and got it, slamming the door shut and putting the key in the ignition. The car started and Matt threw himself against her window. Angel screamed, and reversed fast, making him fall to the ground. She drove out of the parking lot, breathing heavily and her heart beating fast, she picked up her phone and dialed Brooklyn's number. It went straight to voicemail.

"Brooklyn," she said, completely out of breath, her voice shacking harshly. "I know who killed Dahlia."

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

Comment, vote and read on! :)
Kisses
Cat😽

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

800K 30K 25
Jake Macpherson and Gabrielle (Gabby) Arnold had been best friends since preschool. But then Gabby was in a car accident when she was twelve, which...
173 0 18
She's 16. She's Beautiful, but wait. She's dead.
5K 452 26
A teenaged girl struggles with the death of her best friend. When the police stop investigating the case of her friend she decides she should find t...
1.3K 164 29
Arabella has always felt different from everyone else. She can't remember her childhood and the only thing she can somewhat remember are her two best...